PDA

View Full Version : Seeding per sq ft

MLI
04-06-2002, 09:18 AM
What are you guys getting for lawn installs per sq. ft. around the country? Also are you including hauling in loam? We have a new install for a house that requires 3in loam,grading, hydroseed. Im pricing at $.48 PER SQ FT....how about you folks?

LawnLad
04-06-2002, 09:48 AM
We're in an already developed area, homes are up to 100 years old, many built in the 10's, 20's and 30's. Many old, original lawns with limited access at times to the areas - or large mature shade trees to work around/with. So we do mostly tearouts, top dress, grade and seed (some sod). Depending on how much soil we bring in and how large of an area, we could be between $.60 to $1.10 a square foot, most falling in the $.70 to $.90 range (sod usually into the $1.20 to $1.40 range). Most of our lawn installations are under 3,000 sq ft.

paul
04-06-2002, 10:01 AM
Because of the size of the areas we do, very rarely do we bring in topsoil. If we do bring in topsoil it's figured spread by the cu yd and a seperate price (line item). Smaller areas we start at around $3500 per acre or $0.08 a sq ft larger areas we'll drop to $0.06 a sq ft. We've even dropped to 0.05 on some really large areas. Prices also depend on what after care is needed and time of year the seeding is going to be done.

Lawnlad; with the older homes that your doing, don't they have better topsoil than the newer homes? Here old parks have great topsoil unless it's a Chicago park then it's brick bats and sand.

Mike Nelson
04-06-2002, 10:52 AM
MLI,

Just for my own info!

You are charging .48 cents a sq.ft.,so for an acre (40,000sq.ft.) you are getting $19,200. ? If you can get that I am in the wrong business or I am in the wrong part of the country.LOL

Around here I believe the going rate for hydroseeding is between 8 to 15 cents depending on the job.Funny part is there are not alot of people doing hydroseeding though,I figure it must be easy than laying down straw.

Thanks

Mike Nelson

LAWNPROzII
04-06-2002, 11:12 AM
Around here I charge .15 cents per square foot. That just includes the basics(till, grade, seed, fert.) everything else is extra.

MLI
04-06-2002, 11:49 AM
Mike Nelson.....you misread the post.....lawn install..lol..including bringing in loam, and grading. This is from scratch, not just hydro-seeding... we have a hydroseeder and only get about $.07-$.09 per sq ft. One other thing....I probably would charge over $19k for doing an acre depending on conditions. Whats your formula for this type of work...just curious?!

paul
04-06-2002, 12:20 PM
I don't think he miss read it, what I quoted includes grading, and hydroseeding.

Mike Nelson
04-06-2002, 12:37 PM
OK...

I realize the work you are doing for the money. I guess I never realized how much it costs for some green lawn around the house.LOL
Then pay some more money for a guy or gal to mow it. :eek:

Thanks
Mike Nelson

LawnLad
04-06-2002, 05:38 PM
Paul - certainly the soil is better in the Heights area than in new development type areas, post 50's/60's construction.

My understanding when they built these homes is that the foundation dirt was hauled off site as each home was built. Homes on a street were built one at a time (could have been built over 20 or 30 years on street), so whole areas were not stripped of the top soil, graded, etc. like today. As well, the foundation soil was not left on site, so the soil profile was not destroyed.

We have mostly clay soil and the lack of organic matter in the soil content is just from years of "use" and decomposition of the organic matter, ultimately leaving just clay since there is not ecosystem to replace the organic matter.