PDA

View Full Version : For anyone with slit seeder experience...

KB
06-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Ok, you guys have convinced me I need to consider a slit seeder vs tilling a yard. I have killed all existing K31 and weeds and will be planting bermuda. Yard is hard due to N Ga clay and heat right now but otherwise the "lay of the land" is in good shape. I had a hard time finding anyone with a slit seeder for rent (could not find a landscaper with one) but did find one nearly 2 hours away. Before I go through the pains of renting this thing, is it really worth my efforts vs. tilling the top 3-4 in of soil (having this done with a tractor)? Will these things cut into the soil as hard as the ground may be this time of year? This yard was not irrigated and only has the moisture from rain which has not been much lately. It is also about a 15K sq ft area. At what rate do you walk this thing? Similar to push cutting your lawn or MUCH slower due to the cutting into the soil being performed? Looking for guidance. Thanks!

nc-jrock
06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
It has been years since i have used one so don't think that I am knocking them, but two hours away that's four round trip not good.You said you had a tractor I think.You should just use that and save yourself some time.

fl-landscapes
06-08-2009, 09:19 PM
To answer your question. Yes a slit seeder will cut into the hard ground. But I agree with the last post. Thats a long ride to get the seeder. I would till it up broadcast seed and rake it in. Probably take you just as long in drive time as it will to rake in depending on how much you have to do. I have the 30" lawn solutions slit seeder and love it.....but that is a lot of driving to use one for a day.

Exact Rototilling
06-11-2009, 01:00 AM
What I do on lawn renovations is use my Plugr aerator which pulls more plugs than the typical rolling tine units. Then I use my BlueBird Slice seeder to cut through the plugs and make multiple passes in 1, 2, 3 or even 4 directions depending on conditions. The Plugr aerators are very effective in pulverizing the soil prior to seeding or laying down sod. Kind of like rototilling but without turning over the soil.

cgaengineer
06-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Ok, you guys have convinced me I need to consider a slit seeder vs tilling a yard. I have killed all existing K31 and weeds and will be planting bermuda. Yard is hard due to N Ga clay and heat right now but otherwise the "lay of the land" is in good shape. I had a hard time finding anyone with a slit seeder for rent (could not find a landscaper with one) but did find one nearly 2 hours away. Before I go through the pains of renting this thing, is it really worth my efforts vs. tilling the top 3-4 in of soil (having this done with a tractor)? Will these things cut into the soil as hard as the ground may be this time of year? This yard was not irrigated and only has the moisture from rain which has not been much lately. It is also about a 15K sq ft area. At what rate do you walk this thing? Similar to push cutting your lawn or MUCH slower due to the cutting into the soil being performed? Looking for guidance. Thanks!

Where exactly in NE Georgia are you? I might be able to help.