PDA

View Full Version : Questions on sod prep!!

andyslawncare
06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
I will be removing around 8'' of mulch and other debris where some trees were removed and stumps were ground. I will be sodding with bermuda or centipede.

How much top soil should I add in this area? The soil is mostly clay.
Would you recommend using a good quality soil or fill dirt with good soil tilled in?

Also, how would I go about sodding over exposed roots? The roots are around 1'' above ground. Should I just cover them with soil, and if so how deep?

Another property has been eroded quite a bit and there are many crape myrtle roots on the surface. My customer wants this area sodded.

I'm trying to keep my material costs down, as there is already many hours of prep work and installation time budgeted for this project (18 pallets)

Any suggestions and previous experience would be appreciated.

Smallaxe
06-09-2009, 11:15 AM
If they have a tight budget, then 18 pallets right now is not a good idea. Filling in the erosion spots is a good idea, depending on how much of a problem the washout is. Maybe just leave it as is.

You can lay cool season sod over tree roots and the sod will still grow, but eventually the roots come through, or not. So much depends on the environment.

The one thing you don't want to do is a cheap job. That will be visible for years.

White Gardens
06-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I agree with Axe.

The only other thing I can think of in the area with the roots is to try and do a landscape bed of some sort.

Even If you get sod established over them, it's going to be bumpy and un-even.