PDA

View Full Version : Does Hydroseeding Pay???

Thomas Wall
06-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi all!
I am looking into purchasing a Hydroseeding unit, and was interested on your thoughts of which unit to buy. Also, can I make my money back? No one in my area does it, and I'd like to expand my business to offer a few more services. I can draw business from about 20,000 people, and some new places are always going in. Any advice would be greatly appriciated!:usflag:

fl-landscapes
06-08-2009, 02:08 PM
like any piece of equipment, if you have the market for it and you price it correctly you'll make money.

ICT Bill
06-08-2009, 02:45 PM
It is my hunch that with the stimulus packages that are going out to states and counties to expand construction there is going to be a lot of bare earth out there for hydroseeding.

Turboguy
06-08-2009, 10:03 PM
It sounds to me from what you said about the competion and the area that you would do well with a hydro seeding unit. I do a lot of hydroseeding myself and I am heavily involved with the hydro seeding association and talk to a lot of hydro seeding contractors from all over. I was a little concerned about this year because of the decline in housing starts but the demand has been excellent this year.

I think as far as machines go about every unit on the market works well and has few problems so whatever you choose will be a good unit. I would suggest you don't go any smaller than a 300 gallon unit and whatever size you buy you will wish you had the next larger but they will all do the job fairly efficiently.

arborman
06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I own and operate a small family owned tree service. I'm 58 and my tree climbing days are over. I bought a hydroseeder last winter and while the other guys are doing tree work I hydroseed. I emailed all our clients that we were offering this service and since mid April have done a little over 12K in hydroseeding lawns and wildflowers. My materials cost is around 3K and I do most of the jobs alone. I'm fortunate to have a client base to draw from. If you are in an area with little or no competition and have a client base to draw from you can do well. I bought a 300 gal unit from Turbo Turf and am impressed with the machine but now wish I had bought a 500 gal unit.

mzgloves20
06-10-2009, 12:16 AM
I made almost $5,000 profit in the last month with my 300 gal unit. One commercial and 3 residential jobs.

Exact Rototilling
06-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Waaay too many hydro seed companies in my area so I would never offer it here.

There is a slight stigma with hydro seeding in my area since customers, developers etc. hire hydro seed companies to spray on the top of poor rocky soil, then the customers waters infrequently and the grass doesn't come up well many times. :hammerhead:

My rates for installing a lawn are basically 2x - 4x what a hydro seed company charges. That includes full soil preparation and seed top dressing with compost. I have talked to many unhappy customers who have hired someone else to install a lawn, customer lets it dry out during germination - then they bad mouth the installer. :rolleyes:

For this reason I only do installs for people who I am convinced are going to commit to watering 3 to 4+ times a day or they will set their sprinklers properly [with correct full area coverage] to ensure germination and proper growth. For the others I recommend sod installation or hydro seeding.

Hydro seeding is a very cost effective solution for many customers. If there is little competition in your area it sounds like a go to me.

ICT Bill
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Waaay too many hydro seed companies in my area so I would never offer it here.

There is a slight stigma with hydro seeding in my area since customers, developers etc. hire hydro seed companies to spray on the top of poor rocky soil, then the customers waters infrequently and the grass doesn't come up well many times. :hammerhead:

My rates for installing a lawn are basically 2x - 4x what a hydro seed company charges. That includes full soil preparation and seed top dressing with compost. I have talked to many unhappy customers who have hired someone else to install a lawn, customer lets it dry out during germination - then they bad mouth the installer. :rolleyes:

For this reason I only do installs for people who I am convinced are going to commit to watering 3 to 4+ times a day or they will set their sprinklers properly [with correct full area coverage] to ensure germination and proper growth. For the others I recommend sod installation or hydro seeding.

Hydro seeding is a very cost effective solution for many customers. If there is little competition in your area it sounds like a go to me.

Hey Exact,
When you run into new construction, rocky sites and don't want to get a call back there is a little trick a buddy showed me.
add 1 to 1 1/2 yards of screened (1/8 inch minus) compost to every 1000 gallons, it really kicks it up a notch, the yard ahs something to get established in

Exact Rototilling
06-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey Exact,
When you run into new construction, rocky sites and don't want to get a call back there is a little trick a buddy showed me.
add 1 to 1 1/2 yards of screened (1/8 inch minus) compost to every 1000 gallons, it really kicks it up a notch, the yard ahs something to get established in

ICT Bill,

1000 gallons of .... soil ... dirt?

I need to find a more efficient way of top dressing with compost other than using a grain shovel or a Back Pack blower to blow the compost out of a wheel barrel. Some sort of walk behind spreader using screened compost. At this point I'm not willing to buy a spendy Turfco type unit.

fl-landscapes
06-12-2009, 04:58 PM
I own and operate a small family owned tree service. I'm 58 and my tree climbing days are over. I bought a hydroseeder last winter and while the other guys are doing tree work I hydroseed. I emailed all our clients that we were offering this service and since mid April have done a little over 12K in hydroseeding lawns and wildflowers. My materials cost is around 3K and I do most of the jobs alone. I'm fortunate to have a client base to draw from. If you are in an area with little or no competition and have a client base to draw from you can do well. I bought a 300 gal unit from Turbo Turf and am impressed with the machine but now wish I had bought a 500 gal unit.

I got the TT hybrid 500 love it and probably could have used the 750:laugh: Like turbo guy said..it's true no matter what size you buy you'll want bigger. Hey Ray did you check out that bermuda picture?

mzgloves20
06-14-2009, 12:54 PM
o yahh...builder yards... i ONLY seed yards that I prepare (soil and amendments) and am confident that the homeowner will maintain. I tell them that once it sprayed...its up to them.

Turboguy
06-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I got the TT hybrid 500 love it and probably could have used the 750:laugh: Like turbo guy said..it's true no matter what size you buy you'll want bigger. Hey Ray did you check out that bermuda picture?

Yes, I did check out the photos. Totally awsome. I am going to pm you something about the photos.

I have a lot of guys who make up a little photo book with before and after photos of thier hydro seeding jobs. It really makes an impressive sales tool and it is a great way to close about any sale that is possible.

MZ that is a good way to go. The soil prep and the follow up watering is even more important than the hydro seeding job. The best hydroseeding job in the world sprayed on a poorly prepaired surface with no watering is less likely to come out great than a medeocre seeding job on well prepaired soil with frequent waterings.

In my case all I do for this part of my business is hydro seed, no prep or other landscape services. I have a handful of landscape contractors and home builders I seed for in additon to end users. Most of the landscapers I seed for are great. They want it to look nice so it compliments the rest of their work. Home builders are the worst. The less they spend to get a job done the more they make. Often the soil I get is what was there, the prep jobs are passable at best and once in a while I am seeding before the homeowner moves in so I don't get a chance to tell him about care and watering. My jobs usually turn out fine even the ones done for a builder but still, I like growing grass and I like to be proud of seeing a beautiful lawn and knowing I had a part in creating it. There can be a difference between a beautiful lawn and having grass and sometimes with the home builders I only get grass. The more you have control over, the better the chances of having a really beautiful lawn.