PDA

View Full Version : Zero-flat tire from J Thomas?

hackitdown
06-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I damaged a wheel last week, so when replacing the wheel I decided to spend a little extra and get a wheel/tire combo sold as "Zero-Flat" by J Thomas. So it arrives today via FedX, excellent delivery time BTW.

Anyway, it weighs a ton. The driver told me it weighs 125 lbs. It is heavier than my 8 lug Chevy tire+wheel. I only ordered 1 wheel/tire. Am I screwed? Do I need 2 to keep things even?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Lehighlawnpros
06-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I've got two smaller "zero-flats" on the back of one of our Grasshoppers, they've been on there for 3 years and 2,000
hours, so they've certainly been durable except for the original wheel bearings which seemed cheap.

They are quite heavy, I can imagine how heavy a main wheel/tire would be.

Keep in mind that these will probably ride considerably harder than air filled main tires.

If you decide to keep it, I would recommend getting another one to balance out the machine, although I know that they are expensive.

I'd say that they're good for front/tail wheels, but I don't think that I'd want them for the main wheels/tires,
mostly because of the ride quality and also because of the extra weight.

I agree, J. Thomas has been excellent, and I've ordered from them many times. I'm sure they would accept a return/exchange although the return shipping may be costly for 125 lbs.

hackitdown
06-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I have mowed 2 days on it so far, and it rides fine. I can't feel any difference. I guess it is too late to return it at this point. But I must have added 100 lbs to the machine. Some documentation with the tire would be nice, but they sent nada.

I like the recommendation to get another to balance it out, but they cost about $250 for the wheel/tire combo. I'll have to worry on this for a bit.

Lehighlawnpros
06-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Good to hear that the ride quality is ok,
at least you shouldn't have to worry about a flat :-)

Nick's Neat Landscaping
06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
ok i decided im going into the lawn biz. and my neighbor has a 38 deck toro mower he wants out. He doesn't want a ton for it. but he says when you turn the key it cranks but doesn't turn over... and i dont know if its repairable for me to do it and do you think a simple tune-up kit will fix the problem.

Thx for all your help!!