PDA

View Full Version : No more GM Med. Duty Trucks

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Announced today that GM will wind down production of its medium duty truck line. article also mentions that its duramax plant will be affected. im feeling better and better about our decision to go with Ford every day...and i am not brand loyal, we have owned dodges and chevrolets.

link to article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31170969

lyube
06-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I guess Obama didn't like them very much. Drove too much like a truck and not a car.

nosparkplugs
06-08-2009, 07:27 PM
GM has been bankrupt since 2006. Only because of gracious bond holders has GM avoided the sale of their medium duty truck line. International signed a memorandum of intent to possibly purchase the truck line, and then backed out last year.The Duramax diesel will suffer, under the government control.

I was born in Flint,Mi dad had.40 years with GM he died back in 1996, worked at every plant in Flint. Many old timers, including my dad perdicted GM would fail, and would not allow me to work for GM out of highschool, oh am I glad I listened. Only chance is their will be limited production of med trucks.

This is the Obama plan he is doing as he planned reduce or cancel all work trucks, soon we will be totally dependant on the government to move goods, and provide serivce's taking control of transportation is key to a move toward communism
Posted via Mobile Device

justanotherlawnguy
06-08-2009, 10:34 PM
This is the Obama plan he is doing as he planned reduce or cancel all work trucks, soon we will be totally dependant on the government to move goods, and provide serivce's taking control of transportation is key to a move toward communism
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
That has got to be one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read ANYWHERE!!!!

bobcat_ron
06-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Good riddance, I never liked those trucks, they always looked kinda "flaming".

Posted via old skool typewriter 'yo.

dbear
06-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Whatever happened to the deal where Navistar was thinking about buying GM's medium truck line? I know it fell thru, but don't recall why.

jkilov
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Poor management, lack of corporate wisdom, shareholder milk cow treatment, UAW, marketing a dozen brands with the same substandard products, fat gas guzzling vehicles destined for the dump ... there is no reason, there's tons or reason why GM failed.

It always comes from the top. Ever smelled a fish? It stinks at the HEAD! GM was and is led by outsiders, big oil, foreign investors, turbo capitalists. Big oil killed the GM electric car a decade ago and erased it from history. Big oil introduced the hummer which is totally useless. Investors jacking prices and parts, easy money. And now they want to chew off what remains of the carcass, and some joker is going to buy GM for pocket change. A shame, so much for that.

Hey Ron, I love them kittens :cool2:.

doubleedge
06-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Poor management, lack of corporate wisdom, shareholder milk cow treatment, UAW, marketing a dozen brands with the same substandard products, fat gas guzzling vehicles destined for the dump ... there is no reason, there's tons or reason why GM failed.

It always comes from the top. Ever smelled a fish? It stinks at the HEAD! GM was and is led by outsiders, big oil, foreign investors, turbo capitalists. Big oil killed the GM electric car a decade ago and erased it from history. Big oil introduced the hummer which is totally useless. Investors jacking prices and parts, easy money. And now they want to chew off what remains of the carcass, and some joker is going to buy GM for pocket change. A shame, so much for that.

Hey Ron, I love them kittens :cool2:.

Ignorant statement #2. The hummer was created for the military for an all terrain transport vehicle. It was later adapted for recreational use because of high demand. The electric car that big oil supposedly killed wasn't viable; battery technology is just becoming advanced enough to allow electric cars travel long distances and to be charge quickly.

VirginiaLawnCare
06-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Who cares about GM now a days anyways? :laugh:*trucewhiteflag*

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
GMs med duty trucks werent that great in my eyes seen a few sat in a few if you going to spend money on one of those things get a good truck like a international or pete/KW even a ford f750. An the Duramax didnt belong in thoses trucks to begin with why would i buy a GMC 8500 with a 7.8 duramax with 300hp an 860lbs of torque when you can get a pete 335 with a 8.3 cummins (paccar motor) with 330hp an 1000lbs of torque for about the same price with a better cab an better dealerships an getting parts for the cummins is eaiser then the duramax. IM a GM fan but i dont feel sorry for them at all there wonderful CEOs are putting them in this sence they still need there big bucks. If i was going to buy a new pickup Id get me a 6.7cummins an do a DPF delete kit an you will have the best truck out there.

jkilov
06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Ignorant statement #2. The hummer was created for the military for an all terrain transport vehicle. It was later adapted for recreational use because of high demand. The electric car that big oil supposedly killed wasn't viable; battery technology is just becoming advanced enough to allow electric cars travel long distances and to be charge quickly.

Who created it really does'nt matter, the fact is they embraced and funded an idea that had no future back then, let alone now.

That little electric car was just a start and it went like 100 miles with the initial battery, which is enough for daily commuting. It won't ever work for trucks. Again, it's about the idea. Had they made the right decision back then, perhaps you would be driving one now. But big oil noticed it ran without fuel, GM thought it didn't have enough moving parts to service. And funding an idea that would take years to return wasn't on the agenda.

jkilov
06-09-2009, 09:07 PM
GMs med duty trucks werent that great in my eyes seen a few sat in a few if you going to spend money on one of those things get a good truck like a international or pete/KW even a ford f750. An the Duramax didnt belong in thoses trucks to begin with why would i buy a GMC 8500 with a 7.8 duramax with 300hp an 860lbs of torque when you can get a pete 335 with a 8.3 cummins (paccar motor) with 330hp an 1000lbs of torque for about the same price with a better cab an better dealerships an getting parts for the cummins is eaiser then the duramax. IM a GM fan but i dont feel sorry for them at all there wonderful CEOs are putting them in this sence they still need there big bucks. If i was going to buy a new pickup Id get me a 6.7cummins an do a DPF delete kit an you will have the best truck out there.

And this guy explained the customer view of things perfectly. Why buy GM when there's always a competitor model that either costs less and/or does a better job.

ZTR_Diesel
06-10-2009, 04:57 PM
GM has a habit that I have noticed consistantly since the '70's. The pattern seems to go: Come up with an idea, and the committee the said idea until just about all the creativity has departed from it. Then plan a brand-new plant in a new locaiton (or completely over-invest) in this product. Hire a new workforce to manufacture it in "the new way." Once it finally gets off the ground (4 - 8 years later) realize that it is already behind the times, and try planning last-minuite design changes to try and keep it current.

Then when the new product has gone well beyond it's life cycle, go and "recreate" the idea - shift production to new plants, send in production of old models to the previously-new facility. Begin to realize that evne this idea won't work. So what next - lay off the workforce, lay off the originator of the new concept, and kill the product being produced.

It's happened with Saturn, with thier minvan range(s), with thier medium duty trucks - 2 times, it's happend with several other brands as well as the ill-fated Pontiac GTO. Sorry, but American business needs to slow down, re-think who they really are (at thier core) and regain their focus on what is thier bottom line.

G. Ramey
06-21-2009, 10:47 PM
I think it is a shame that the medium duties are being discontinued. At my fulltime job as a paramedic we bought three 4500s last year. They have been great, no where near the problems of the 350s they replaced. the ride in the back of the trucks is better and the steering radius is unmatched. we also have a freightliner and a few 350s left, but everyone prefers the 4500s. I have no worries that the 4500s won't start when I get in it.

GravelyNut
06-22-2009, 09:05 PM
:laugh: 8.3 Cummins. If you'd seen how fast I could destroy one running a water pump, you wouldn't think they were so hot. 8 hour a day service they were only rated at 195 gross HP. Run them for 24 hrs and the exhaust manifolds would turn incandecant orange. 2500 hour engine life.

johnnybravo8802
06-28-2009, 05:38 PM
They never made sense to me anyway, not when Dodge and Ford kept their size to a minimum. That big clunker wasn't practical for driving around. Anyway, what are we suppose to buy. I never hear anything positive about the powerstroke-mileage, dependability. I am considering a Dodge 4500.

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-28-2009, 06:32 PM
I never hear anything positive about the powerstroke-mileage, dependability. I am considering a Dodge 4500.

b/c 95% of the time people come onto forums b/c they have a problem with their trucks and need advice. regardless of make, i have heard issues from all the diesels. 09 seems to be an excellent year for the new epa choked diesels as almost all the issues have been worked through.

the 6.7L had some serious issues as did the 6.4L radiator issues. now the teeth grinding on these two motors has subsided and they are proving to be relatively good motors if it werent for regens once a tank.

johnnybravo8802
06-28-2009, 10:00 PM
b/c 95% of the time people come onto forums b/c they have a problem with their trucks and need advice. regardless of make, i have heard issues from all the diesels. 09 seems to be an excellent year for the new epa choked diesels as almost all the issues have been worked through.

the 6.7L had some serious issues as did the 6.4L radiator issues. now the teeth grinding on these two motors has subsided and they are proving to be relatively good motors if it werent for regens once a tank.
Don't get me wrong, I know Ford has a track record for being the work horse of the industry but the dealers are still saying they get really poor mileage which defeats the purpose of the diesel.

dmaxin09
06-28-2009, 10:29 PM
agreee. i was a die hard chevy fan but if there is no place to get my truck serviced there is semply no point

johnnybravo8802
06-28-2009, 10:42 PM
agreee. i was a die hard chevy fan but if there is no place to get my truck serviced there is semply no point
It's a shame that Chevy doesn't have a better name-they used to be the "rock." I test drove a duramax flatbed dump a few months and they were going to sell me that truck for $23,000 brand new(08'). It was the quietest engine out there even over the Powerstroke and the cummins(Just drove a 4500). I wouldn't mind having one but I'm afraid to buy GM. I also looked at a Vortex tonight but heard they are pigs and get horrible mileage.

tnmtn
06-29-2009, 06:15 PM
there is no reason not to buy a chevy 4500 or 5500 at this point. part of the reorganization agreement said they must honor warranty and service agreements on all trucks sold. furthermore there are plenty of duramax/allisons being sold for 3500's that parts will be easy for a long while. for those that haven't heard much positive about these trucks i will say mine has been amazing. no issues to seak of. very tight turning radius, great performance off road and has no trouble being very overloaded. it's interior is a little sparse but i like it that way in a work truck. the air ride seat takes most of the rough ride out. i would love to have a couple more.

Hawg City Lawns
07-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Whatever happened to the deal where Navistar was thinking about buying GM's medium truck line? I know it fell thru, but don't recall why.

because navistar is a joke themselves not really but since navistar makes the powerstroke why would they want to take in the duramax that is made by isuzu?

Hawg City Lawns
07-20-2009, 01:21 PM

because navistar is a joke themselves not really but since navistar makes the powerstroke why would they want to take in the duramax that is made by isuzu?