PDA

View Full Version : Demoed New Ferris IS 2000Z

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 05:32 PM
I ran the IS 2000Z for a period of time this afternoon and was impressed with the ride and cut. This mower moved entirely too slow for my mowing conditions, but I expected that. The dealer is going to bring me a 3100Z in the morning, he seems to think it will compare more with the Super Z.

I found this very interesting, I asked him to get on my mower an run it down a long straight stretch that has a small ditch to cross. The ground is a little rough in this entire area. He told me he had run Hustlers before, I told him to open my mower up and see if he noticed any difference. I saw him hit the ditch at top speed in both directions (going and coming). He drove back to where I was standing and said there is something different about this Hustler. He asked me what the difference was and I stood up on the flex fork and made it move up and down. I told him the seat made a big difference also, he said, "that is a standard Michigan seat that we don't really need with our suspension." I said, "look at this", I then sat down in the seat and made it rock back and forth like a rocking chair. I picked the seat up so he could look at the flex base, he then said, "I knew there was something different, because that ditch would have jarred me out of the seat. The rocking mechanism takes a great deal of shock away from your body."

He told me the 3100Z would run as fast as my Super Z, we will put them side by side tomorrow and find out. Everyone including the Ferris factory told me the 2000 was the smoothest riding mower in their line-up, but this salesman told me the 3100 would ride better because of being heavier.

I definitely believe the 3100 will have an exceptionally good ride as well as cut. I think I can understand why people like the Ferris suspension, the four wheels moving independently improves the ride dramatically. They do seem to be a little on the expensive side, but I could see people paying the price difference for a smooth ride.

I mentioned Bad Boy mowers and the Ferris salesman told me they were on their last leg, and a relatively new mower company could not survive in this economy. I did not tell him when I talked with the factory last week they were behind 750 mowers on the assembly line that day. It truly amazes me at the way rumors travel.

He was telling me they sold 40 to 50 Ferris mowers every year, which is honestly pretty good considering they are a John Deere dealer. He said they ruined the JD zero turn mowers. I said, "JD had a good cutting zero turn mower, what were they thinking with all the changes." He came right out with no hesitation and said, "they are crazy, JD has a bad habit of trying something new by letting the customers find the problems." JD is the only company with deep enough pockets to play that game.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-08-2009, 06:31 PM
cant wait to hear about the 3100! i really like the fact that a 37hp kawi is a option! i dont think there is any way for it to be as fast as a hustler but i think that at speed it should ride good in deeper bumps.

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
cant wait to hear about the 3100! i really like the fact that a 37hp kawi is a option! i dont think there is any way for it to be as fast as a hustler but i think that at speed it should ride good in deeper bumps.

You want to hear an interesting story, I wish some Ferris people would chime in on this. The website shows the 3100 being a 12 mph mower (this is what I would think), but the specs show the ground speed from 0-10 mph.

I called the factory to verify the speed and this is what I was told by two different people. "The ground speed is set at 10 mph at the factory but there is an adjustment the dealer can make to get it to 12 mph ground speed." I asked both people what the dealer did to get 2 more mph, and they said, "I honestly don't know but I think they do something to the rpms."

They gave me a persons name and told me to call him tomorrow because he was more knowledgeable on these real technical questions. :dizzy:

I am going to try and talk with him tomorrow!

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-08-2009, 08:12 PM
You want to hear an interesting story, I wish some Ferris people would chime in on this. The website shows the 3100 being a 12 mph mower (this is what I would think), but the specs show the ground speed from 0-10 mph.

I called the factory to verify the speed and this is what I was told by two different people. "The ground speed is set at 10 mph at the factory but there is an adjustment the dealer can make to get it to 12 mph ground speed." I asked both people what the dealer did to get 2 more mph, and they said, "I honestly don't know but I think they do something to the rpms."

They gave me a persons name and told me to call him tomorrow because he was more knowledgeable on these real technical questions. :dizzy:

I am going to try and talk with him tomorrow!

i noticed that in the specs too! i was really confused as to what the speed was cause it says 12mph on the web parge and in specs it say 10mph. that would make sense as to why they dont post a blade tip speed, and the bigblock low rpm models might have somthing to do with it. that is interesting though i thought it was just a typo

DaddyRabbit
06-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey Pup, before you commit please check out my dealer and I'd be willing to bet $$ he'd make it worth your while on a new Ferris. My 5100Z came in today and should be delivered tomorrow.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I noticed in the owner's manual while servicing my IS 2000, the "top speed or ground speed adjustment". It's simply an adjustable bolt that stop's the handle bars at a certain point. So bringing it out means you can push the bars farther and go faster. I noticed mine are adjusted almost all the way out.

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I noticed in the owner's manual while servicing my IS 2000, the "top speed or ground speed adjustment". It's simply an adjustable bolt that stop's the handle bars at a certain point. So bringing it out means you can push the bars farther and go faster. I noticed mine are adjusted almost all the way out.

An adjustment that minor, I would have thought anyone at the factory should know that information. Thanks, for making me aware of that adjustment, I honestly don't understand why they don't set it at full speed from the factory, 12 mph is not fast, but just a good mowing speed.

Hey Pup, before you commit please check out my dealer and I'd be willing to bet $$ he'd make it worth your while on a new Ferris. My 5100Z came in today and should be delivered tomorrow.

I am really looking forward to seeing some good pictures and hearing all the details of that monster. :weightlifter:

zman2307
06-08-2009, 11:09 PM
An adjustment that minor, I would have thought anyone at the factory should know that information. Thanks, for making me aware of that adjustment, I honestly don't understand why they don't set it at full speed from the factory, 12 mph is not fast, but just a good mowing speed.

I am really looking forward to seeing some good pictures and hearing all the details of that monster. :weightlifter:

It may be for insurance that they don't set it that fast? Yeah, sounds like all you're doing is opening up the valves more causing more fluid to circulate.

Do you have a GPS? Keep us posted on the actual speed + ride.

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 11:40 PM
It may be for insurance that they don't set it that fast? Yeah, sounds like all you're doing is opening up the valves more causing more fluid to circulate.

Do you have a GPS? Keep us posted on the actual speed + ride.

I studied the suspension very closely and look for the ride to be really good. The factory told me the 2000 was the best ride; but I think with over 100 lbs more weight on the 3100 it will give me a better ride at a faster speed.

My Super Z with the new fusion blades was cutting the exact grass at 15 mph that the 2000 was at 10 mph, and I can promise no one could tell which mower cut what grass side by side.

He may have to sit on the sidelines in the morning for a while, because when I get on the 3100, he may not see me for a longer period of time than today.

nosparkplugs
06-08-2009, 11:41 PM
I had 20K to spend on a large frame diesel ZTR, BUT WHY spend more on a FERRIS THEIR OVERATED:hammerhead:, and if I had a "DO-OVER" I would take the BB AOS diesel evertime over & over. The fact the Dealer made those comments on the Status of Bad Boy speaks volume of his industry knowledge. Ferris? Their great machines, you need to put the Big 3100Z up against the 35hp AOS diesel, and stop playing these games PP:waving: You pay for what you get! this is Oh so true, The Irony is killing me, I got more with Bad Boy, and came home with over 4K still in my bank account when were talking BIG DIESEL ZTR'S here.

I ran the IS 2000Z for a period of time this afternoon and was impressed with the ride and cut. This mower moved entirely too slow for my mowing conditions, but I expected that. The dealer is going to bring me a 3100Z in the morning, he seems to think it will compare more with the Super Z.

I found this very interesting, I asked him to get on my mower an run it down a long straight stretch that has a small ditch to cross. The ground is a little rough in this entire area. He told me he had run Hustlers before, I told him to open my mower up and see if he noticed any difference. I saw him hit the ditch at top speed in both directions (going and coming). He drove back to where I was standing and said there is something different about this Hustler. He asked me what the difference was and I stood up on the flex fork and made it move up and down. I told him the seat made a big difference also, he said, "that is a standard Michigan seat that we don't really need with our suspension." I said, "look at this", I then sat down in the seat and made it rock back and forth like a rocking chair. I picked the seat up so he could look at the flex base, he then said, "I knew there was something different, because that ditch would have jarred me out of the seat. The rocking mechanism takes a great deal of shock away from your body."

He told me the 3100Z would run as fast as my Super Z, we will put them side by side tomorrow and find out. Everyone including the Ferris factory told me the 2000 was the smoothest riding mower in their line-up, but this salesman told me the 3100 would ride better because of being heavier.

I definitely believe the 3100 will have an exceptionally good ride as well as cut. I think I can understand why people like the Ferris suspension, the four wheels moving independently improves the ride dramatically. They do seem to be a little on the expensive side, but I could see people paying the price difference for a smooth ride.

I mentioned Bad Boy mowers and the Ferris salesman told me they were on their last leg, and a relatively new mower company could not survive in this economy. I did not tell him when I talked with the factory last week they were behind 750 mowers on the assembly line that day. It truly amazes me at the way rumors travel.

He was telling me they sold 40 to 50 Ferris mowers every year, which is honestly pretty good considering they are a John Deere dealer. He said they ruined the JD zero turn mowers. I said, "JD had a good cutting zero turn mower, what were they thinking with all the changes." He came right out with no hesitation and said, "they are crazy, JD has a bad habit of trying something new by letting the customers find the problems." JD is the only company with deep enough pockets to play that game.

zman2307
06-08-2009, 11:53 PM
I had 20K to spend on a large frame diesel ZTR, BUT WHY spend more on a FERRIS THEIR OVERATED:hammerhead:, and if I had a "DO-OVER" I would take the BB AOS diesel evertime over & over. The fact the Dealer made those comments on the Status of Bad Boy speaks volume of his industry knowledge. Ferris? Their great machines, you need to put the Big 3100Z up against the 35hp AOS diesel, and stop playing these games PP:waving: You pay for what you get! this is Oh so true, The Irony is killing me, I got more with Bad Boy, and came home with over 4K still in my bank account when were talking BIG DIESEL ZTR'S here.

Yeah, there's a lot of value in the Bad Boy.

Look, dealers say a lot of things to make a sale. The smart dealers keep their mouth shut if they don't know about another brand, and honestly tell the customer, "I'm not sure about that other brand, how reliable it is, how it performs, etc." To make statements about a company without a press release to back it up is unwise. It would be one thing if there was an actual story about the state of the company like there is about Bush Hog, and how the company may close down completely if they don't find a buyer real soon.

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 11:55 PM

I like to give them all a try and make myself knowledgeable on the top brands. The way to understand the mower is to operate it in as many different situations as you can put it into. Most all of them do a good job on 5" grass cutting it down into the 3" range.

nosparkplugs
06-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Had everyone not talked so much SMACK about the Bad Boys I would have overlooked them myself. Out off all the local Memphis ZTR dealers, the Kubota dealership had the most respect for Bad Boy, and did not say one negative thing. The Scag salesman got red in the face, and I could tell he was not happy when I said AOS diesel.

Some require that extra cost in a ZTR to be happy that truly is totally uncessary for what you earn in this industry, right now, in this economy, maybe five years ago I could swing the extra cost not now. How much suspension travel is necessary for a good operator ride. I would have been happy with a michigan suspension seat 5 years ago. More power to those guys with the money to burn on a Ferris. Their was a Guy on here, Puppypaw might remember him? he worked on the Ferris's at a dealership he said the Ferris frames were not lasting while the Cat Diesel was bulletproof. He also had great knolwedge of the Hydro-Gear pump & wheel motors, the big Ferris was weak on hills too & shined on wide flat open area's.

Look, dealers say a lot of things to make a sale. The smart dealers keep their mouth shut if they don't know about another brand, and honestly tell the customer, "I'm not sure about that other brand, how reliable it is, how it performs, etc." To make statements about a company without a press release to back it up is unwise. It would be one thing if there was an actual story about the state of the company like there is about Bush Hog, and how the company may close down completely if they don't find a buyer real soon.

puppypaws
06-09-2009, 12:21 AM

I know more about what is going on in the mower world than salesman with one or two particular brands. I wanted so badly to tell the salesman today that I talked with the Bad Boy factory last week and that particular day they were 750 mowers behind on the assembly line. I would like to have asked him how many mowers Ferris was behind on in this thriving economy. I guess he figured I knew very little about what was going on in the mower world. Once I started spouting off the specs on his Ferris mowers and several other name brands, he was looking at me and wondering if I sold mowers somewhere on my farm and he just had not seen them yet.

nosparkplugs
06-09-2009, 12:53 AM
So is the Ferris Ride worth the extra cost? when will you trade the "simple" Super Z in for a Ferris; becuase that's ALL the Ferris has is RIDE. If your a Owner Operator, or Solo guy or property owner a Ultra high dollar piece of equipment is your ticket, for me I would much rather throw in some "more bang for the buck" with the "note I'm toting". Nothing hurts more when price is the judge of quality, and you get spanked buy a cheap Bad Boy:)

I like to give them all a try and make myself knowledgeable on the top brands. The way to understand the mower is to operate it in as many different situations as you can put it into. Most all of them do a good job on 5" grass cutting it down into the 3" range.

kb9nvh
06-09-2009, 08:29 AM
You guys make me feel good about my BB coming in a week or so. Or should I have held out for a hustler super Z

retrodog
06-09-2009, 08:41 AM
You guys make me feel good about my BB coming in a week or so. Or should I have held out for a hustler super Z

yeah you should feel good, and heck no, you shouldn't hold out for a Super Z..... Puppy Paws wasn't shown the right Bad Boy when he demoed, or there wouldn't be any question as to which mower he would own right now. As far as the demo goes Puppy, are you just a mower fan that wants to check out all the brands, sounds like you might be wasting the Ferris guys time, and thats not cool....lol. I would have just went by the dealership and asked to mow on it around his shop, but that is just me always thinking about ways not to put people out of their way.....

puppypaws
06-09-2009, 08:45 AM
So is the Ferris Ride worth the extra cost? when will you trade the "simple" Super Z in for a Ferris; becuase that's ALL the Ferris has is RIDE. If your a Owner Operator, or Solo guy or property owner a Ultra high dollar piece of equipment is your ticket, for me I would much rather throw in some "more bang for the buck" with the "note I'm toting". Nothing hurts more when price is the judge of quality, and you get spanked buy a cheap Bad Boy:)

I have no idea of what Ferris has changed on their decks over the years, but the cut on the 2000 was as good as any out there. This was used in completely dry, stiff bladed southern grass standing up perfectly to be cut. I would think most any mower with decent blades turning underneath its deck could cut this grass and do a good job. I could tell the 4 wheel suspension was working and doing a good job, I needed to be running faster to get a better idea. When they bring the 3100 today I will get a little better feel for the ride with more speed.

puppypaws
06-09-2009, 12:17 PM
yeah you should feel good, and heck no, you shouldn't hold out for a Super Z..... Puppy Paws wasn't shown the right Bad Boy when he demoed, or there wouldn't be any question as to which mower he would own right now. As far as the demo goes Puppy, are you just a mower fan that wants to check out all the brands, sounds like you might be wasting the Ferris guys time, and thats not cool....lol. I would have just went by the dealership and asked to mow on it around his shop, but that is just me always thinking about ways not to put people out of their way.....

When you are only selling 40 or 50 mowers in a year, he has plenty of time to come visit with me, if for nothing but the fellowship. He is the one that offered to bring me the 3100, and the 2000 looked like a brand new mower. Ferris must have one heck of a demo program. I doubt if I am wasting a great deal of his time, he did not act like he had demos lined up one after another. The Ferris mowers carry a pretty good price tag, the independent suspension is highly thought of money wise.

Linder'sLawnCare
06-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I love my Ferris. It is built very tough. I looked at all the major brands and narrowed it down to two, Scag and Ferris. I really liked the dealer of Ferris, which is also my stihl dealer, so i went w/ the Ferris. You will like the 3100. it is nice. Hercules spindles seem tough!!

4 seasons lawn&land
06-09-2009, 08:05 PM
:rolleyes: blah blaaaahhhhhh

Did you get to try the 3100 today?

puppypaws
06-09-2009, 10:29 PM
:rolleyes: blah blaaaahhhhhh

Did you get to try the 3100 today?

He never called, even with him saying yesterday he was coming this morning. I am afraid after he ran my Super Z he may have gotten a little intimidated by the speed, ride and cut. I think he realized there was not a Ferris made that could keep up with the way my mower flew through the grass.

The first thing he said after running my mower was, "I have never been on a Hustler that rode that good." He is the one that then said, "the IS 2000 is not made to compete with a Super Z, I should have brought the 3100, it is faster than your mower." I just rolled my eyes, told him to bring the 3100 and we would put them side by side.

A good smooth ride and cut while running 15 mph has a tendency to take away from the selling points of another slower mower. You can have the ride and cut with a Ferris (no better than my Hustler), but not the productivity and fuel economy of a fuel injected Super Z.

I would still like to run the 3100, but he may figure he can't bring a Ferris that will cut more grass and really be any more comfortable than my mower he ran. I can't say I would really blame him.

DaddyRabbit
06-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Pup, give Barry a call at Wombles located in Lillington just to compare.

retrodog
06-09-2009, 11:01 PM
When you are only selling 40 or 50 mowers in a year, he has plenty of time to come visit with me, if for nothing but the fellowship. He is the one that offered to bring me the 3100, and the 2000 looked like a brand new mower. Ferris must have one heck of a demo program. I doubt if I am wasting a great deal of his time, he did not act like he had demos lined up one after another. The Ferris mowers carry a pretty good price tag, the independent suspension is highly thought of money wise.

Most companies only offer 1 demo a year etc, but Ferris said you could buy as many demoes as you wanted.

puppypaws
06-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Pup, give Barry a call at Wombles located in Lillington just to compare.

To far away, I have a house on a 1 acre lot in Willow Springs, but really no place to give it a chance.

He may have gotten tied up today, but I would have at least called and told me what was going on, instead of leaving me hanging.

I think basically what you would have matching a 3100 with a Super Z is the Ferris will give a better ride in places so rough I would not care to mow to begin with. The 15 acres I mow has some rough areas but none you would notice any difference between my Super Z with the flex forks, and flex seat base under the Michigan suspension seat, and the Ferris 4 wheel independent suspension.

The integrated parking brakes (best patented design on the market) and hydraulics on the Super Z are much smoother operating than any mower made. I like the Bosch efi system offered by Kohler better than the dfi offered by Kawasaki.

The type grass and weeds I cut there is no advantage of the Ferris mowers over my Hustler Super Z. The cut, and ride are equal with additions to the Super Z for ride quality.

The integrated brake system, handling, and overall operation of the Super Z's hydraulics is the best on the market, bar none. The fuel economy (for gas), by far surpasses a Ferris because of electronic fuel injection.

The Super Z because of 3 mph more cutting speed is more productive. You can have speed, but if you do not have a good ride, you cannot utilize the speed difference.

This is a comparison only conjured from my exact cutting situation. This can change in different cutting (as with northern grasses) scenarios.

The only real advantage I could see with a Ferris mower is the suspension would make a difference if you were cutting areas as rough as plowed fields.
I mow very fast most of the time, and we all know this will exaggerate even the smallest bumps tremendously. My mower has to ride extremely well or you could not stand the roughness at 15 mph.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes about everything, so far I have not found a mower that fits my mowing situation as well as my Super Z. I can say without doubt, if a mower comes out that suits my needs better I will buy it. There is one essential requirement I must have, the mower will cut grass at no less than 15 mph and ideally faster.

Razorblades
06-10-2009, 01:32 AM
PP, what is your normal mowing frequency and about how much length do you normally remove? Is your deck a 66"?

puppypaws
06-10-2009, 09:46 AM
PP, what is your normal mowing frequency and about how much length do you normally remove? Is your deck a 66"?

Once a week now, it has come into the summer growing pattern (hot and drier). The grass and weeds are very easy to cut, especially at the 2.75" height I use. I remove 2 to 3", depending on the area.

There is a great deal of difference in the way I cut and someone mowing for a living. I can pick the drier times in the day to cut, which means I don't have to deal with cutting wet grass. There are decks that do a much better job of cutting wet grass than the XR-7. Still with the XR-7 deck being respectable, I am talking about normal cutting conditions, you put it into heavy wet cutting and it will not hold the light to a Scag Velocity deck. The XR-7 does not like to cut over grown wet grass, you need a tremendous amount of power, which Hustler does not offer. When I say power, I am talking about the type power I have experienced with the big block engines. The 31 Kawi on a 60" Bad Boy deck will eat the the same engine on a Super Z alive. The big pumps really pull on the power of a Super Z, so when you add heavy wet cutting to the list, the deck under performs.

To honestly know what the XR-7 deck is truly capable of, there has to be excessive hp in place to keep the blade tip speed at full operating rpms at all times. A Hustler Super Z has never had the pleasure of enough hp to keep the mower operating at its full potential in various cutting situations.

The cutting I do with the mower, fits it to a tee, dry stiff bladed southern grass, cut at lower heights, gives it no problem. With that said, I can still feel it pull hp from the engine with I push the sticks completely forward quickly. The 21 cc pumps pull a great deal of power, Bad Boy has figured out a combination to get the speed without sacrificing power, I commend them for that design.

Let me clarify something, the salesman called me this morning and said his truck was tied up yesterday (still think he should have called and told me). He asked me if he could bring the Ferris 3100 today, I told him I was busy today, but he could bring it in the morning, he said, "that will work good for me." This tells me; he thinks I will be more impressed by the 3100, and this could very well be the case, I will see and tell it the exact way I find the information to unfold.

Razorblades
06-10-2009, 10:19 AM
PP, Have you ever thought about tradingto a Bad Boy AOS 35 Cat Diesel or 35 HP Vanguard with the 72" deck? I know you like the fuel injection of the 28 Kohler and you don't prefer a diesel either but I think that you said in previous threads that the BB AOS rides just about as well as your mower and has just about as much speed, so if you add the extra width of the 72" deck on the Bad Boy, you could be alot more productive time wise and probably not use any more fuel with the 35 vanguard vs the amount of fuel that it would take you with the Hustler Super Z, 28 efi and 60" deck because of time saved with the wider deck. For sure you would burn less diesel with the 35 Cat Diesel if Nosparkplugs GPH usage numbers are pretty accurate. I don't think that you'd want to get a Hustler Super Z with the 72" deck and still use the 28 Kohler efi engine to power it.

jkilov
06-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I always wondered why puppypaws does'nt hook up a decent mulcher on one of his tractors and be done with it.

Anyway he will like the 3100 up person, it is a well built mower. The decks were upgraded recently and discharge much better (or so I've heard). The suspension is great but adds some parts. I know the shocks are expensive and they will wear out eventually.

I did own a super z in the past (60/25) and it was comparable to the ferris. It was faster, though the engine would struggle, I loved the brakes and yellow paint. But it was not built as well as the ferris though not bad. I guess the dealer support or lack of was the reason I bailed out on Hustler, yeah that was poor.

puppypaws
06-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I always wondered why puppypaws does'nt hook up a decent mulcher on one of his tractors and be done with it.

Anyway he will like the 3100 up person, it is a well built mower. The decks were upgraded recently and discharge much better (or so I've heard). The suspension is great but adds some parts. I know the shocks are expensive and they will wear out eventually.

I did own a super z in the past (60/25) and it was comparable to the ferris. It was faster, though the engine would struggle, I loved the brakes and yellow paint. But it was not built as well as the ferris though not bad. I guess the dealer support or lack of was the reason I bailed out on Hustler, yeah that was poor.

I have cut some of the larger areas with this a few times. I honestly enjoy getting out late in the afternoon and flying across the grass with the Super Z, it is kind of like riding a go-kart when you were a kid. Believe me, it is much, much more fun cutting at 15 mph than 10.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121371&stc=1&d=1222913545

jkilov
06-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Nice deere, it looks well taken care of.

Rumor has it though that the new green tractors aren't what they used to be, just like anything else anyway.

I see, the need for speed, well in that case you're looking at another super z or badboy.

puppypaws
06-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Nice deere, it looks well taken care of.

Rumor has it though that the new green tractors aren't what they used to be, just like anything else anyway.

I see, the need for speed, well in that case you're looking at another super z or badboy.

No, they just don't build them like they use to. I had a 1968 4520 JD with 14,000 hrs. on the engine and it had never been into. The tractor was listed at 125 hp but the head mechanic at the JD dealership bought it new and turned the fuel up, it was pulling 147 hp on the dynamometer. I sold the tractor for $11,000.00 and everywhere I checked they said there was not a 4520 tractor anywhere that would bring over $9,000.00. The dairy farmer that bought the tractor is pulling a bottom plow mostly and said it is still going strong. John Deere did not mean to build a tractor than good, they can't sell parts and have big repair bills to generate income for them and their dealers. We just bought a new 8330 ($181,000.00), and it has everything you can get, it is like sitting in your living room in your easy chair operating it, but you can tell they don't put the metal in them they once did. You can run this tractor 12 hrs. and not be the least bit tired.

kb9nvh
06-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Paint that thing yellow, add a backhoe to the back and a loader on the front and then your a man who can do ANYTHING!!!

I came within an inch of buying a CASE 680L last fall for 15K. I backed out at the last minute because I realized I should pay off our house instead..LOL
and I wasn't ready for the hoe yet anyway as that project slide on me. Lots of good advice from sellers too...1) never loan your backhoe 2)Never dig on the landowners word 3) Cut an optical fiber line and you'll be coughing up 18K minimum to get it fixed

Shots of my near miss:
http://www.grimlabs.com/case680l

I have cut some of the larger areas with this a few times. I honestly enjoy getting out late in the afternoon and flying across the grass with the Super Z, it is kind of like riding a go-kart when you were a kid. Believe me, it is much, much more fun cutting at 15 mph than 10.

zman2307
06-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Bad Boy has figured out a combination to get the speed without sacrificing power, I commend them for that design.

Smaller pump + bigger wheel motor is the winning combo for speed w/out power loss.

puppypaws
06-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Paint that thing yellow, add a backhoe to the back and a loader on the front and then your a man who can do ANYTHING!!!

I came within an inch of buying a CASE 680L last fall for 15K. I backed out at the last minute because I realized I should pay off our house instead..LOL
and I wasn't ready for the hoe yet anyway as that project slide on me. Lots of good advice from sellers too...1) never loan your backhoe 2)Never dig on the landowners word 3) Cut an optical fiber line and you'll be coughing up 18K minimum to get it fixed

Shots of my near miss:
http://www.grimlabs.com/case680l

Just looking at the pictures it appeared to be a good buy. What were your plans for the machine?

kb9nvh
06-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Not to hijack the thread...LOL
We were going to build a house and I figured there was a lot I could do with the case and then sell after I was done. Also, the rental needs some foundation work and with a hoe like that I could have done it myself.

My wife got cold feet on the location and so.....we paid off what we were living in instead and put off our plans until we both agree (die is probably more like it..LOL).

Just looking at the pictures it appeared to be a good buy. What were your plans for the machine?

Razorblades
06-11-2009, 01:17 AM
PP, Have you ever thought about tradingto a Bad Boy AOS 35 Cat Diesel or 35 HP Vanguard with the 72" deck? I know you like the fuel injection of the 28 Kohler and you don't prefer a diesel either but I think that you said in previous threads that the BB AOS rides just about as well as your mower and has just about as much speed, so if you add the extra width of the 72" deck on the Bad Boy, you could be alot more productive time wise and probably not use any more fuel with the 35 vanguard vs the amount of fuel that it would take you with the Hustler Super Z, 28 efi and 60" deck because of time saved with the wider deck. For sure you would burn less diesel with the 35 Cat Diesel if Nosparkplugs GPH usage numbers are pretty accurate. I don't think that you'd want to get a Hustler Super Z with the 72" deck and still use the 28 Kohler efi engine to power it.

PP, what is your opinion about the question I had asked earlier, which is quoted above? No big deal, just curious.:)

DaddyRabbit
06-11-2009, 06:35 AM
The man is looking to move into a Lexus not another Chevrolet :laugh::laugh: J/K

PP, what is your opinion about the question I had asked earlier, which is quoted above? No big deal, just curious.:)

puppypaws
06-11-2009, 12:54 PM

I want to apologize for not responding to this post, I am positive I read the post but forgot to respond. I want to state, I will never disrespect anyone by not responding to any question directed to me. If this ever appears to be the case, feel assured it has slipped my mind, and I need reminding. I have a great deal of information my mind is attempting to process at this time, and, "I am not as good as I once was, but I am as good once as I ever was."
I think I heard a song with that title somewhere.

I am helping a friend with a legal battle between the county and himself concerning an agriculture dispute. We will be moving into the NC Appellate Court jurisdiction within approximately six months. We cannot get our county to recognize the NC General Statues as taking precedence over their regulating authority. I am in the process of getting a "amicus curiae" briefing written (Latin, meaning, friend of the court), by the highest legal authority on agriculture in NC. He had been a 30 year legal advisor for the NC Department of Agriculture and is titled, NC Assistant Commissioner of Agriculture in charge of legal affairs.

Now back to the question at hand. I really like the heavier AOS model Bad Boy, and really would not flip a coin for the ride difference between it and my Hustler Super Z. I may even give a slight edge to the AOS because of it being heavier.

The AOS operates good but not comparable to the nimbleness and quickness of maneuverability with the Super Z. I run a 66" deck and would feel assured the 15 mph AOS will be slightly more productive, but not as much as if the AOS had the smoothness of a Super Z's hydraulics and quicker maneuverability.

The type grass I am mowing at this time; there is no problem with the 28 efi having ample power. When you get into heavy damp cutting situations the AOS with either 35 hp engine will eat the Super Z alive, there would be no comparison. I personally like the lower profile, seating and handling of the Super Z over the AOS, but that could be different with another person. I do prefer the Bosch electronic fuel injection system used by Kohler in their applications. Once you are familiar with not needing a choke and the engine starting immediately once you turn the key in all different temperatures, whether it is 20° or 100°, the engine is not effected. The efi runs smooth at all times with better fuel economy, I've seen carburetor type engines that were temperamental.

I have considered a Bad Boy AOS and would probably buy one if it had a Bosch efi system on the engine. I think the 35 Vanguard would be well suited to efi technology. I would still keep my Super Z, it has been so perfect I would hate to turn it loose.

I know the 28 efi would not be enough engine for a 72" Super Z, but I like the efi so much I would be willing to wait on a big block Kohler, and it is not going to be long now. It will then come to Hustler not being scared of more power going through their components. I was told this is what they are mainly concerned with on the higher hp engines, but I can promise they are working on it this very minute.

Razorblades
06-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Don't worry about not responding sooner, as you said, you've got alot of things going on right now , not to mention keeping up with responses on 5 or 6 different threads right now. Thanks for the response,though, I can understand your point of view on the controls and Favoring EFI over carbs. For me, EFI would be preferable IF it didn't add $2000.00 to the cost of the mower. unless it could be made up in fuel savings in less than 1000 engine hrs. Like has already been said, some type of Fuel Injection will become required for these engine to meet the tougher emissions stds. that are sure to come. For now though, I sure don't mind the carb'ed engines. By the way, are you still going to demo a Ferris 3100 mower? IF so, what engine?

puppypaws
06-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Don't worry about not responding sooner, as you said, you've got alot of things going on right now , not to mention keeping up with responses on 5 or 6 different threads right now. Thanks for the response,though, I can understand your point of view on the controls and Favoring EFI over carbs. For me, EFI would be preferable IF it didn't add $2000.00 to the cost of the mower. unless it could be made up in fuel savings in less than 1000 engine hrs. Like has already been said, some type of Fuel Injection will become required for these engine to meet the tougher emissions stds. that are sure to come. For now though, I sure don't mind the carb'ed engines. By the way, are you still going to demo a Ferris 3100 mower? IF so, what engine?

Yes, he called me this morning, we had a big rain here last night and there is another one almost on top of us now. We decided to wait until next week, I told him I actually hated to get one of his new mowers covered in wet grass. He said, "they are demos and they will wash", which I thought was very nice. There are large numbers of dealers that do not want you to cut with their mowers, especially if it is wet. They prefer you drive it around in their yard, like you can tell how the mower will react in different mowing scenarios, driving around with the deck up in a gravel parking area.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-13-2009, 01:54 PM
So you say the Bad Boy AOS rides about as well as your Hustler? I demoed that model BB and it rode fine but not like my IS2000.

Also do you have lawns with bumps that will make the deck bounce on an unsuspended mower at 10 mph? cause that's what it's like everywhere around here so the suspension comparisons are mainly what I'm alway's looking for. I cant even run my ferris at full speed on half the lawns or more.

puppypaws
06-13-2009, 03:24 PM
So you say the Bad Boy AOS rides about as well as your Hustler? I demoed that model BB and it rode fine but not like my IS2000.

Also do you have lawns with bumps that will make the deck bounce on an unsuspended mower at 10 mph? cause that's what it's like everywhere around here so the suspension comparisons are mainly what I'm alway's looking for. I cant even run my ferris at full speed on half the lawns or more.

You say you rode the BB AOS, you must remember there is a tremendous difference in cutting at 15 mph versus 10 mph. You take your IS 2000 and move it up to a 15 mph cutting speed and I can promise it will not ride nearly as well. The suspension system does not have time to react as well, therefore you will feel jolts you did not feel running only 10 mph.

I have all types of terrain to mow and ran the IS 2000 last week on some of the same rough ground I ran the heavier diesel powered AOS. Are you saying you ran the diesel powered AOS or gas model?

I was running the AOS at 15 mph over the same area I ran the 10 mph IS 2000, that in itself makes a tremendous difference. The heavier AOS rode better than the lighter IS 2000 which felt like a toy compared to my Super Z. The Ferris salesman got off my Super Z and said he had never ridden a Hustler that rode that good, and I showed him why. He had never seen the flex forks or flex seat base under the Michigan seat.

I am going to run the 3100 next week, which he tells me compares more with my Super Z, time will tell. He said the 3100 was faster than my Super Z, I'm afraid I am going to burst his bubble.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the 4 wheel independent suspension, but when comparing it to my mower or the heavy AOS in normal rough ground cutting, I would not flip a coin for the difference. If you get into extreme rough ground cutting where the Ferris has more independent up and down travel, I feel assured the Ferris is going to give a better ride. I myself or most people do not run into that type cutting very often, unless you are in an area that horses or cattle have walked for a period of time when the ground was wet.

I am looking forward to running the 3100 and I will come back and give an honest opinion on what I find.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-13-2009, 04:26 PM
but he is from new york like i am and it is soooooooo bumpy up this way it really amazes me! remeber unadilla is the biggest natural terrain motocross track in the country and i live about 100 miles away and the land arround here is about the same very hilly bumpy stuff. my deck bounces really hard on my exmark and from what i hear people dont get this to happen often on that mower in different areas of the country but for me it is like every other stripe. it isnt cause my machine is broken either it is just the way the terrain is. clay or sand one or the other. we roll out yards twice a year it helps but it doesnt stop the ground from heaving up and making sink holes and such. alot of guys run ferris and they all swear by them. like i said fully indepenent suspension is a big deal arround here.

jsut to make a example in the winter some of the nice paved roads will get a sink hole all the way across that will dip about a foot down and bee 5 foot wide it will throw you off the road if you dont know it is there and they just appear over a 2 day period, amazingly they go away when it warms up and you wouldnt know it was there!

puppypaws
06-13-2009, 05:36 PM
but he is from new york like i am and it is soooooooo bumpy up this way it really amazes me! remeber unadilla is the biggest natural terrain motocross track in the country and i live about 100 miles away and the land arround here is about the same very hilly bumpy stuff. my deck bounces really hard on my exmark and from what i hear people dont get this to happen often on that mower in different areas of the country but for me it is like every other stripe. it isnt cause my machine is broken either it is just the way the terrain is. clay or sand one or the other. we roll out yards twice a year it helps but it doesnt stop the ground from heaving up and making sink holes and such. alot of guys run ferris and they all swear by them. like i said fully indepenent suspension is a big deal arround here.

jsut to make a example in the winter some of the nice paved roads will get a sink hole all the way across that will dip about a foot down and bee 5 foot wide it will throw you off the road if you dont know it is there and they just appear over a 2 day period, amazingly they go away when it warms up and you wouldnt know it was there!

That is where I could see the suspension on the heavier 3100 really paying off. The extra weight helps with the ride as well.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-13-2009, 06:32 PM
ya, I live less then an hour from SFTD. My comparison was full speed with the ferris to same speed with the BB. I could never really go full speed on that BB but I did get a kick out of how fast it went. Sometimes I could use more speed than my 25 horse ferris has but if I hit a bump going that fast it wouldn't be pretty, even on the ferris.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 12:30 PM
ya, I live less then an hour from SFTD. My comparison was full speed with the ferris to same speed with the BB. I could never really go full speed on that BB but I did get a kick out of how fast it went. Sometimes I could use more speed than my 25 horse ferris has but if I hit a bump going that fast it wouldn't be pretty, even on the ferris.

you know i have been watching guys on ferris lately and they can fly and make a good cut. the cut quality is also impressive i would say it is better than mine! you wont hear me say that very much but i cant lie they seem to cut the northern grass awfully good! i just dont like all the moving parts on them and they seem pretty well shot at the end of their service life, i have seen a few with 1500 hrs that are just pitifull looking.

puppypaws
06-14-2009, 01:53 PM
you know i have been watching guys on ferris lately and they can fly and make a good cut. the cut quality is also impressive i would say it is better than mine! you wont hear me say that very much but i cant lie they seem to cut the northern grass awfully good! i just dont like all the moving parts on them and they seem pretty well shot at the end of their service life, i have seen a few with 1500 hrs that are just pitifull looking.

You have a Series 6 UltraCut deck, you have what is considered by the industry to be the ultimate deck in northern grasses, and none really better in southern grass. I would say if you are seeing another mower giving what appears to be a better cut, you need to find out where your problem is.

This is not to say the Ferris cut may possibly look as good to you, but you definitely should not see it looking better. The only mower on the market in this price range that could possibly give a little better cut, but not anything you would really notice as standing out above the UltraCut is a Walker.

There are several mowers that the normal eye would never notice any difference in cut. My Hustler Super Z with the XR-7 deck which is supposedly terrible in northern grasses was cutting side by side with the Ferris IS 2000. The Super Z was mowing at 15 mph while the 2000 was at 10, you could look at the cuts in any direction and not tell which mower cut what part of the grass, there was just no difference to see. My thoughts are; I had much rather be cutting at 15 mph than 10 with no cut difference. You can mow an unbelievable amount of grass when traveling at 15 mph. This type cutting only comes with the correct conditions.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-14-2009, 02:59 PM
that would be too much fun! How fast will the larger Ferris' go? Any of em' do 15?

I ran an ultracut exmark for a while and the cut is the same with the Ferris until the blades get a little dull and the Exmark keeps cutting and the ferris wont cut a damn thing. Other than that, the exmark throws the grass about 3 times as far.

puppypaws
06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
that would be too much fun! How fast will the larger Ferris' go? Any of em' do 15?

I ran an ultracut exmark for a while and the cut is the same with the Ferris until the blades get a little dull and the Exmark keeps cutting and the ferris wont cut a damn thing. Other than that, the exmark throws the grass about 3 times as far.

12 mph is the top speed on Ferris mowers but that is a good mowing speed, and I would say very comfortable with their suspension.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
puppy you need to cut up here to understand there are so many different grasses that a ultracut can only cover so many as a owner i think it is one of the best cuts on some of my own lawns but! i have a guy who mows across from me on a angle he mows ronnie knapiks yard, ronnie owns a boat dealership, rinker and some other boats he sells but i swear that mower leaves a cut that i couldnt give that yard and it is once over with a speedy cut! i couldnt do it! wouldnt look as nice, that mower makes it looked as it is bagged! and its not. and the grass grows fast. on kentucky blue there isnt a better cut than the exmark on any gras that lays over on its side from height i dont think you can get a bete single cut than a exmark. but when you get rye and straight weak grass that is tall the ferris seems to leave a perfect cut! and it does it fast from what i have watched they kep it moving as fast as it can go id say about 10mph. on thick grass a ferri isnt as good as a exmark. mine is great but i need to double cut with new blades on weak straight grass to get as nice even cut.

after watching bad boy and hustler on video do what they can do myself, you should beleive what a ferris can do in the right conditions also! one thing i have understood is that they are underpowered greatly! and this guy with the 25hp motor is way under par! a company that is up this way that i know very well useses a 25hp is3000 and it is a slug! it does do great work and leaves a distinct cut but it is a slug. i feel that up here a exmark is a great mower but the ferris on a yard with the weak grass seems to leave a crisper cut! i know you would think mine is broke but i know that it cant be i have a 1/4" pitch front to rear with a dead even deck, i just put new blades on saturday went from mamba to hi lift and i get a better cut with more clumps compared to a almost as good cut with alot less clumps. thsi was only tested on one really over grown yard that hadnt been cut in a month. she runs pretty much the same otherwise.

anyway i will say a ferris up this way is a great cutting mower! productivity might be on the slow side for full wideopen opperation but it does do a good job, i will take pics of my neighbors yard when they come to do it for reference cause i think that without the pics i am pissing in the wind with what i am saying to you! i know! i know! but after seeing what a badboy will cut and how smooth it is i am a believer in things working better in their intended conditions than you would believe cause before i saw that i would have said my exmark would blow it out of the water but that just isnt the truth! and i would like to be considered honest! nothing more! if or when i can get some pics up of the ferris cut arround here i will. thing is i dont know the names of the grasses by looking at them very well but i can see a big difference in all of them! i see about 6 or 7 different types or ways it is grown in my weekly journey, and none of them cut the same they might clump more or less and be easeir to cut than the other but alot of them are different. i sort of wish i could get the cuts you show with the speed you say, but i really dont see those conditions too often arround here and when i do it isnt as nice as what you show!

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 09:09 PM
i just missed a small section of your post and what i want to say to make more sense in what i mean will be. when you say you cant tell a difference in cut between yours and a ferris i almost mean the same! i am not side by side testing but from what i see when i am standing there watching the cut is very crisp. in the grass that you tested both side by side the ferris is probly cutting that up this way and showign me the great cut that i see! cause i have seen a hustler on video cut some thick grass @ 15mph and it left a cut and stripe that i was so impressed by that i sought out a dealer and researched that mower till i found that it was undesireable in my area hence i dont see any this way or arround. cut vs cut i thin alot of mowers are close i would say that where i am the ferris is my closest competition! gravely doesnt seem to come close and the john deere might be in a tie with the ferris and my mower. other wise kubota and scag seem to have a clear difference in cut and it is like m dixon walkbehind with a turbo flow style deck not as wmooth a cut but doesnt show clippings. ill also say this 34hp on a ultra is like 30 on somthing else! maybe ferris is simmilar to that from the one i have seen they are presumably underpowered, and since they do offer a 37hp kawi i would believe it to be true! i think if you do test a 3100 you should make it a issue to test a 37hp kawi on it! it would probly give you some new thoughts about that brand, since they might not work up to par without perfect blade tip speed!

TomberLawn
06-14-2009, 10:01 PM
So, are they bringing a 3100 out this week? Is Billy doing these demos for you? I was at Timmy's today and he didn't say anything about taking you a mower to drive. As far as a smooth ride and speed is concerned, if you could put a mower deck under a Polaris RZR, it would be awesome! That's why I was at Timmy's, test driving his new toy. He's going to let me try out his 5100 as soon as we both have some free time at the same time.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 10:05 PM
now that is a good statement a rzr with a deck would be a nice ride lol.

if you want a good utv check out the arcticcat prowler they are good all around i beat the hell out of mine flipped it over so many times i cant count and it still gets beat on by kids all day with out any problems! i ripped the axles out of it once but that is another story and you need to be a drunken jerk to do what i did cause thats what i was lol!

how did you like the rzr?? was it the s model with the wider suspension set up for hardcore stuff or the skinny trail oriented one that is quick handleing?

TomberLawn
06-14-2009, 10:28 PM
It was nice. The guy drove all the side-by-sides he could (Yamaha Rhino, Kawasaki Teryx, Arctic Cat Prowler, and Polaris RZR) before deciding on the Polaris. He said he liked the Arctic Cat, but the Polaris handled better or felt more stable. He got the standard trail version since the S is wider and won't fit in the woods as well. He's already upgraded his to make it go faster than the S model. The thing handled great. Punch the gas and it GOES. We ran through a little trail in the woods that was pretty fun, and in a big open field. Man, it is smoooooth. We went across a bunch of rocks at a creek crossing, probably at about 30mph, and it was as smooth as running through the field.

puppypaws
06-14-2009, 10:52 PM
i just missed a small section of your post and what i want to say to make more sense in what i mean will be. when you say you cant tell a difference in cut between yours and a ferris i almost mean the same! i am not side by side testing but from what i see when i am standing there watching the cut is very crisp. in the grass that you tested both side by side the ferris is probly cutting that up this way and showign me the great cut that i see! cause i have seen a hustler on video cut some thick grass @ 15mph and it left a cut and stripe that i was so impressed by that i sought out a dealer and researched that mower till i found that it was undesireable in my area hence i dont see any this way or arround. cut vs cut i thin alot of mowers are close i would say that where i am the ferris is my closest competition! gravely doesnt seem to come close and the john deere might be in a tie with the ferris and my mower. other wise kubota and scag seem to have a clear difference in cut and it is like m dixon walkbehind with a turbo flow style deck not as wmooth a cut but doesnt show clippings. ill also say this 34hp on a ultra is like 30 on somthing else! maybe ferris is simmilar to that from the one i have seen they are presumably underpowered, and since they do offer a 37hp kawi i would believe it to be true! i think if you do test a 3100 you should make it a issue to test a 37hp kawi on it! it would probly give you some new thoughts about that brand, since they might not work up to par without perfect blade tip speed!

I am getting lost in this conversation, "tacoma", come in here with your Exmark knowledge, I am getting confused here.

The UltraCut supposedly has more suction than any deck on the market. I would think this would stand the grass you are talking about up straight to be cut very cleanly, and as near perfect as any mower, with the exception of a Walker.

I am going to try the 3100, one day this week. I think I can say this and be pretty well assured this will be the case. I am cutting at a lower height, which I also was with the IS 2000. I am pretty sure the 3100 will give a cleaner cut at 3 1/2" than the XR-7 deck. The XR-7 has no suction once you pass a certain point and the cut falls off considerably, especially at 15 mph, so I cut lower because I am not slowing down. When you get above 3" it starts changing and at 3 1/2" you can forget 15 mph.

puppypaws
06-14-2009, 10:55 PM
It was nice. The guy drove all the side-by-sides he could (Yamaha Rhino, Kawasaki Teryx, Arctic Cat Prowler, and Polaris RZR) before deciding on the Polaris. He said he liked the Arctic Cat, but the Polaris handled better or felt more stable. He got the standard trail version since the S is wider and won't fit in the woods as well. He's already upgraded his to make it go faster than the S model. The thing handled great. Punch the gas and it GOES. We ran through a little trail in the woods that was pretty fun, and in a big open field. Man, it is smoooooth. We went across a bunch of rocks at a creek crossing, probably at about 30mph, and it was as smooth as running through the field.

Billy was telling me about Jerome loving his 5100, he has always liked the biggest engine on anything. We use to race his Charger on the street when we were young. Sometime when you are around Jerome, say, I heard when you were young you had a Charger that would fly, is there anything to that? Watch him grin like a jackass eating briars and listen to what he says.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 11:05 PM

it is amazing how the independent suspensions soak up bumps. you can go acous a plowed field that looks un crossable at speed and it seems like you were in rough water instead of on land lol! i think the ferris mowers are meant for the deep bumps as well since they are indpendent with oil shocks like most quads are.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-14-2009, 11:44 PM
puppy you need to cut up here to understand there are so many different grasses that a ultracut can only cover so many as a owner i think it is one of the best cuts on some of my own lawns but! i have a guy who mows across from me on a angle he mows ronnie knapiks yard, ronnie owns a boat dealership, rinker and some other boats he sells but i swear that mower leaves a cut that i couldnt give that yard and it is once over with a speedy cut! i couldnt do it! wouldnt look as nice, that mower makes it looked as it is bagged! and its not. and the grass grows fast. on kentucky blue there isnt a better cut than the exmark on any gras that lays over on its side from height i dont think you can get a bete single cut than a exmark. but when you get rye and straight weak grass that is tall the ferris seems to leave a perfect cut! and it does it fast from what i have watched they kep it moving as fast as it can go id say about 10mph. on thick grass a ferri isnt as good as a exmark. mine is great but i need to double cut with new blades on weak straight grass to get as nice even cut.

after watching bad boy and hustler on video do what they can do myself, you should beleive what a ferris can do in the right conditions also! one thing i have understood is that they are underpowered greatly! and this guy with the 25hp motor is way under par! a company that is up this way that i know very well useses a 25hp is3000 and it is a slug! it does do great work and leaves a distinct cut but it is a slug. i feel that up here a exmark is a great mower but the ferris on a yard with the weak grass seems to leave a crisper cut! i know you would think mine is broke but i know that it cant be i have a 1/4" pitch front to rear with a dead even deck, i just put new blades on saturday went from mamba to hi lift and i get a better cut with more clumps compared to a almost as good cut with alot less clumps. thsi was only tested on one really over grown yard that hadnt been cut in a month. she runs pretty much the same otherwise.

anyway i will say a ferris up this way is a great cutting mower! productivity might be on the slow side for full wideopen opperation but it does do a good job, i will take pics of my neighbors yard when they come to do it for reference cause i think that without the pics i am pissing in the wind with what i am saying to you! i know! i know! but after seeing what a badboy will cut and how smooth it is i am a believer in things working better in their intended conditions than you would believe cause before i saw that i would have said my exmark would blow it out of the water but that just isnt the truth! and i would like to be considered honest! nothing more! if or when i can get some pics up of the ferris cut arround here i will. thing is i dont know the names of the grasses by looking at them very well but i can see a big difference in all of them! i see about 6 or 7 different types or ways it is grown in my weekly journey, and none of them cut the same they might clump more or less and be easeir to cut than the other but alot of them are different. i sort of wish i could get the cuts you show with the speed you say, but i really dont see those conditions too often arround here and when i do it isnt as nice as what you show!

Thank's... I don't recall claiming I was running the biggest badest piece of mowing equipment on earth either.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 11:51 PM
i shouldnt have said it was a slug though lol they are just underpowered for the mower itself they do seem like they need more hp than a average mower to spin the blades good, same as mine the 34hp kawi is a perfect match for mine, but 34hp is alot and it eats fuel !!! alot it is over 2 gph most of the time! that is rediculas but i dont mind to much ill trade the fuel for power anyday. just wish that it could be like a cat diesel and get 35hp with half the fuel consumption of mine.

puppypaws
06-15-2009, 12:40 AM
i shouldnt have said it was a slug though lol they are just underpowered for the mower itself they do seem like they need more hp than a average mower to spin the blades good, same as mine the 34hp kawi is a perfect match for mine, but 34hp is alot and it eats fuel !!! alot it is over 2 gph most of the time! that is rediculas but i dont mind to much ill trade the fuel for power anyday. just wish that it could be like a cat diesel and get 35hp with half the fuel consumption of mine.

The big Cat want burn 30% of what you are using and if a person can get off road diesel, that can be a tremendous savings. It would burn about 5 gallons while you are burning 16, take the off road diesel price times 5 gallons, then take the price you pay for gas times 16 and subtract the smaller number. that would be you saving in an 8 hr. cutting day.

Off road diesel $2.00 or less X 5 Gallons = $10.00 per day for diesel fuel.

Gas at $2.50 X 16 = 40.00 per day for gas.

$30.00 per day fuel savings really adds up in a hurry. $150.00 per week times the number of weeks you cut in a year. This gets into large numbers.

This scenario is based on 8 hrs. cutting time per day, and 5 days per week.

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Gas is $2.59 for 87 octane running a 2 cylinder 34hp Kawaski for 5 hours at 2.0GPH would burn 10 gallons cost:$25.90 x 5 days=$147.50, or 4 weeks or 1 month $442.50

Diesel is $2.39 one fuel grade:) running a 35hp 4 cylinder Cat diesel .66GPH for 5 hours would burn 3.30 gallons cost $7.39 x 5 days= $36.95, or 4 weeks or 1 month $147.80

$442.50 minus $147.80 equals $297.70 savings a month in fuel running a diesel vs this 34hp Kawaski

Estimated 6 months of cutting or $442.50x6= $2,655.00 in Gasoline fuel to run a 34hp Kawaski 5 days a week for 5 hours a day.

Estimated 6 months of cutting or $147.80x6= $886.80 in Diesel fuel to run a 35hp Cat diesel 5 days a week for 5 hours a day.

$2,655.00 x 3 years in gasoline fuel=$7,965.00 to fuel Big Block 34hp Kawaski
$886.80 x 3 years in diesel fuel=$2,660.40 to fuel a 35hp Cat diesel.

$297.70 in fuel savings a month is another payment on a mower or money in my pocket.

YOU SAVE $5,304.60 IN FUEL IN 3 YEARS RUNNING A 35HP CAT DIESEL, just for Shats & Grins we could throw in the 500hour Cat diesel maintenance schedule, 6,000hour engine life.

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 01:13 AM
either the Kawaski is a gas hog at 2GPH or the 35hp Briggs Big Block at 1.2GPH is inaccurate. Either way we had a good debate, you swore the Big Block Gasburners were a better value than diesel, only if you run the BB gasburners for short bursts, no real long days. Make up your mind PP your views change with each post

The big Cat want burn 30% of what you are using and if a person can get off road diesel, that can be a tremendous savings. It would burn about 5 gallons while you are burning 16, take the off road diesel price times 5 gallons, then take the price you pay for gas times 16 and subtract the smaller number. that would be you saving in an 8 hr. cutting day.

Off road diesel $2.00 or less X 5 Gallons = $10.00 per day for diesel fuel.

Gas at $2.50 X 16 = 40.00 per day for gas.

$30.00 per day fuel savings really adds up in a hurry. $150.00 per week times the number of weeks you cut in a year. This gets into large numbers.

This scenario is based on 8 hrs. cutting time per day, and 5 days per week.

TomberLawn
06-15-2009, 08:46 AM
either the Kawaski is a gas hog at 2GPH or the 35hp Briggs Big Block at 1.2GPH is inaccurate.

I'd say the Kawasaki is a hog since my 33hp Generac 992CC V-twin burns 1.3 gph average. I know a diesel would be half that, but it would add almost 50% to what I paid for my mower. What is the cheapest a 60" diesel zero turn can be bought for? I'd assume it would be a Bad Boy with the 28hp Cat. My Woods was $8100, and I don't think I've seen a diesel zero turn for under $11,000.