PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Trimmer Heads and spools

just4funthen
06-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I have two stihl trimmers and the plastic 'bump and feed' spool wears out every two weeks. Once the plastic wears down to expose the ribs, dirt gets in and makes it harder to feed line and the vibs are nasty. I have the ability to make the whole entire assembly out of aluminum at my fathers shop. What do you guys think about that? Waste of time and money or would it be impressive to see something like that in action? I also could copy what Redmax does with a metal insert but thats too easy!

grandview (2006)
06-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I think you need to stop dragging it on the ground. I got 6 yrs out of my last one. When trimming just hold it at a slight angle and that will stop the wear.

Richard Martin
06-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah, what grandview said. A spool should last far, far, far, far, far, far longer than 2 weeks. I get years out of mine.

just4funthen
06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I agree with you guys, but I mainly wear them out by bumping to feed the line. I use the .080 line rather then the .095. which casues me to bump more often. What lheads do you have?

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-08-2009, 07:49 PM
I agree with you guys, but I mainly wear them out by bumping to feed the line. I use the .080 line rather then the .095. which casues me to bump more often. What lheads do you have?

Then don't bump with the trigger pulled so deep. Figure out the minimum rotation required to bump the head, and always slow to that rpm.

Oh yeah, and dump your guard and the frequency will plummet.

Sammy
06-08-2009, 07:55 PM
2 weeks ? You are doing something wrong !

Keep your guards on.

flyboy
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I have two stihl trimmers and the plastic 'bump and feed' spool wears out every two weeks. Once the plastic wears down to expose the ribs, dirt gets in and makes it harder to feed line and the vibs are nasty. I have the ability to make the whole entire assembly out of aluminum at my fathers shop. What do you guys think about that? Waste of time and money or would it be impressive to see something like that in action? I also could copy what Redmax does with a metal insert but thats too easy!

If you could make it to the exact specs and get it to work, sounds like it would definitely be unique- an aluminum billet trimmer head:cool2:

You are definitely dragging the head if you are going through them that fast. I've had guys that wentr through them like that and they were dragging them everywhere they went:hammerhead:

just4funthen
06-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I will NEVER use guards! I hate being limited and not having 100% visiblity of what I am cutting. I like my line out alot futher out than any guard would allow. I have tried reducing the rpm's which seemed to help alot. I guess I am looking for a indestructable line head that would last for years. And to be the only one as far as I know with a all metal head. THe FS130 has enought power to move the mass of it too.

greendave
06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Why not just make an aluminum insert for the spool instead of making the whole thing? I would imagine that a complete spool would be heavy(er) putting more strain on the clutch, driveshaft, gear head, etc.

........... but I like your line of thinking.

If you figure something out, pm me. I've got quite a few worn out spools (NO I didn't wear them out) and so does my buddy.

kaferhaus
06-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Learn how to operate the trimmer properly and you won't be wearing out something that lasts most pros years in 2 weeks.

Aluminum head = expensive waste of time.

Not using the guard = stupid unless you're rich and can pay for the damages or injuries you'll certainly cause sooner or later.

dtelawn
06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I have to jump in here. I have a very similar thread on going on here right now. My part time helper seems to be killing these heads. We are going to try and correct a few technique issues with him but I have 23 commecial accounts and all of them are full of curbing. High or low RPM the bump insert is no match for concrete. One of the local Stihl dealers recommended that I glue a washer on the insert(many of his customers are using the idea)

If you can machine the metal head for a fair price, I will be the first in line to buy.

WH401
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I think you need to look into a different brand/type of line, it sounds like your using wet noodles for trimming. I use Magnum Gatorline and that stuff is like steel for trimming, I hardly ever bump the head for more string.

flyboy
06-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Learn how to operate the trimmer properly and you won't be wearing out something that lasts most pros years in 2 weeks.

Aluminum head = expensive waste of time.

Not using the guard = stupid unless you're rich and can pay for the damages or injuries you'll certainly cause sooner or later.

I have to agree with you on the no guard thing. I have operated trimmers without guards. I don't like it personnally. I have also seen guys take their guard on their stihls and move it back so only two bolts was holding it on. The result was a longer line but you still had a guard and a line cutter. I didn't like that either.
I took out a window on a mini van once (guard was on the trimmer). It exploded! Our insurance covered it. I guess you can break windows with or without a guard, but it gives some protection to my legs. I try to keep it tilted so the debris goes the other way, but every now and then something seems to find my shin:cry:

saylorsdad
06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
I am using the autocut c head and have went through two spools the thing is no match for concrete. the aluminum head would be sweet but the washer idea seems more practical.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
06-09-2009, 05:53 AM
I have to jump in here. I have a very similar thread on going on here right now. My part time helper seems to be killing these heads. We are going to try and correct a few technique issues with him but I have 23 commecial accounts and all of them are full of curbing. High or low RPM the bump insert is no match for concrete. One of the local Stihl dealers recommended that I glue a washer on the insert(many of his customers are using the idea)

If you can machine the metal head for a fair price, I will be the first in line to buy.

I think if you can get them to work from inside the curb area you'll save the heads. Sounds like they just leave the head on the curb and use it as a guide. If the keep the head on the grass doing the samething it will last longer.

kaferhaus
06-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Aluminum is not abrasion resistant, it's extremely soft. It also will not absorb shock loads like the plastic will. I'd bet a aluminum head wouldn't last a week or two under normal use by a experienced operator.

NORTHMAN
06-09-2009, 08:02 AM
I also had problems with Stihl heads,though not as bad as you,I went to a Shindaiwa trimmer with a Speedfeed head,much,much better.I know you can get an adapter for a Speedfeed on a Stihl,it's worth a try.

dtelawn
06-09-2009, 08:04 AM
We do work from inside the curb. The majority of the curbing is level with the ground so must of it gets edged anyway. As far as the guard, it has nothing to do with breaking things. It is there for your protection. Since taking them off I have increased the speed of trimming and can't see a difference in debri flying at me at all.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Don't bump your head on concrete first off - I can see where that would cause a problem.

I am not a huge fan of the Autocut head either. It doesn't bump easily, causing you to have to really 'ram' it down to get any line out. You also cannot edge with the Autocut - the line will just push back in the head. I have a homeowner Weed Eater trimmer that is far better at edging than my way more expensive Stihl. Is there a better head that will fit the Stihl?

Yuanding
06-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Don't bump your head on concrete first off - I can see where that would cause a problem.

I am not a huge fan of the Autocut head either. It doesn't bump easily, causing you to have to really 'ram' it down to get any line out. You also cannot edge with the Autocut - the line will just push back in the head. I have a homeowner Weed Eater trimmer that is far better at edging than my way more expensive Stihl. Is there a better head that will fit the Stihl?
Is there a better head that will fit the Stihl?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Supercut head. It spools out line automatically and it has no button on its base so you can hold it parallel and very close to the ground without actually touching. I have just replaced an old Stihl Supercut head with a new one; the old one lasted six seasons.

Stihl does not fit them as standard to any of its machines - you have to buy them separately, but they are good heads. I seem to be the only one who uses Supercuts. Even the dealers don't seem familiar with them most of the time.

just4funthen
06-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Kaferhaus, Thats a good point about shock and wear resistance of alum. It comes down to trial and error. It will only cost me my own time on the weekends, I'll use scrap metal to keep the cost down.

Anyone try the SilverBack heads?

I have tried Stihl line, Echo's crossfire , Gator, Lesco's junk. I run .080 line since I can put more on the spool (yet it wears/breaks faster) and it seems to cut and not rip the grass like the .095. I use the .095 if I have to clear a area or for commerical lots were there tends to be more concrete, stone etc.