PDA

View Full Version : Zero turn or Walk behind

mow4fun
06-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I currently have a Simplicity Citation (same as Ferris IS1000), great machine and cut all around. The only down side is hill control which my property is slopped especially around the driveway. I have been using a push mower but thinking of making a change.

I am considering a Toro 48" fixed deck gear drive walk behind and look to sell the Z rider. My property is about an acre and currently takes me an hour to cut. I do have 5 large trees with mulch beds around them

Thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PTP
06-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I have a Wright Stander 48" and it does very well on hills. I take it above 30 degrees regularly. My understanding is that the Toro Grandstand performs similarly.

A stand on unit may be the best of both worlds for you.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-08-2009, 09:07 PM
buy a new exmark lazer z with a 48" deck they hold hills good. so does the great dane chariot. country clipper and others are great as well. a walk behind is a great idea but unless you want to walkoff your yard i wouldnt get one, you might not want to mow after a hard day at work.

mowerdude777
06-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I have never used a ztr, I only like walk behinds

mow4fun
06-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the responses, will I be missing anything with the walk behind other than being able to sit down? :)

The Simplicity is a floating deck, should I get a floating deck on the walk behind?

brownsallseasonlandscape
06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Floating decks r the only ones i would even look at.

mow4fun
06-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I have called many dealers for Toro or Exmark and all of then are carrying fixed deck and belt drive. They all said the floating and hydro drives are not in that much demand and they don't stock them.

flyboy
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I have called many dealers for Toro or Exmark and all of then are carrying fixed deck and belt drive. They all said the floating and hydro drives are not in that much demand and they don't stock them.

Order one. It will be worth both your wait and the extra price in my opinion. A floating deck will give you a better cut and the hydro will work on the hills.

THC
06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
My property is about an acre and currently takes me an hour to cut. I do have 5 large trees with mulch beds around them

Thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

With a 48 wb it would take me about two hours to do your.. I think anyway. I have a 36 wb and it takes me 1 hour 15 minutes to do a half acre (my biggest yard).

mow4fun
06-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Wow, I expected to be about the same time with a walk behind compared to the ZTR, I thought I can get around a lot faster than my ZTR with the hills and such.

Coastline Lawn
06-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Thats because they are more expensive to keep in stock. If there were a fixed deck and a floating deck sitting side by side on the show room floor, three out of four times the floating will be sold...period. Fixed deck will get the job done, but man are they a PITA.....I dont use a walk behind unless I have to. I actually worry about the fuel going stale in them DURING the season...Hustler Z's and Wright Standers rule.

Coastline Lawn
06-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Wow, I expected to be about the same time with a walk behind compared to the ZTR, I thought I can get around a lot faster than my ZTR with the hills and such.

No way is the WB going to be anywhere near as fast. 1/2 acre yard with average obstacles takes 10-12min with the Hustler Super Z. Night and day. I used to WB everything. Before I knew what I was missing. Yes they are expensive, but man are they worth it!!!

MileHigh
06-09-2009, 11:13 PM
ummmmm?....

My walkbehinds zero turn.

mow4fun
06-10-2009, 07:19 AM
No way is the WB going to be anywhere near as fast. 1/2 acre yard with average obstacles takes 10-12min with the Hustler Super Z. Night and day. I used to WB everything. Before I knew what I was missing. Yes they are expensive, but man are they worth it!!!

That's the point, I do have a ZTR now but looking to manage my hills a little better. I use a 21 Toro push mower for the hills but was hoping to get a single unit to do it all.