PDA

View Full Version : What type of hedge trimmer should I get?

LouisianaLawnboy
06-08-2009, 10:43 PM
What are you guys recommendations for a good hedge trimmer that I won't use that much.

I have a M242 Shindy that I have the chainsaw attachment and I'm thinking of just getting the hedge trimmer attachment for like 250.00.

BadRancher
06-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Spend 70.00 more and get some RedMax trimmers. I love mine. Whatever you do don't get the Stihl, they are made in china.
Posted via Mobile Device

frotis
06-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Echo makes nice hedge trimmers.

http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.asp?Category=HEDGECLIPPER

kaferhaus
06-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Spend 70.00 more and get some RedMax trimmers. I love mine. Whatever you do don't get the Stihl, they are made in china.
Posted via Mobile Device

I doubt that as they use the same head assembly as the purpose made trimmer, just a split shaft.

We've been using them for several years without the first problem.

Make sure you get a double sided blade though. the single side blade trimmers are worthless no matter who makes them.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Ive been thinking of getting one of the red max attatchment ones with a hedge trimmer, saw & edger. Any reasons to not go this route?

LouisianaLawnboy
06-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Ya why not get the attachment?

BadRancher
06-08-2009, 11:43 PM
I doubt that as they use the same head assembly as the purpose made trimmer, just a split shaft.

We've been using them for several years without the first problem.

Make sure you get a double sided blade though. the single side blade trimmers are worthless no matter who makes them.

The Stihl trimmers are made in China, thats why I have RedMax and everything else Stihl. It says it on the side of the trimmers. The RedMax trimmers are good. 320.00-340.00 depending on the the dealer and you don't have to deal with the hassle of switching attachments.

But Kaferhaus has been in the business alot longer than I have so You should probably head his advice.

4.3mudder
06-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Stihl all the way for me. I have a HS72 and HS45, I use the 45 more because of the longer blades. Only compaint is the small tank.

Wizz
06-09-2009, 01:09 AM
I use the Kawasaki 600D dual sided blade. The 'D' series is commercial and the 'S' series is semi-commercial (commercial series has better blade and gearbox than semi commercial). It performs very well and the motor is very smooth and easy to start and they're not heavy. I bought my 600D for ~$275...the 600S is a little less. Here is their website in case it helps you out: http://www.kawpowr.com/pp/category.aspx?id=5 Have fun shopping.

hummingbird3d
06-09-2009, 01:41 AM
I asked about this awhile back and one piece of advice that I am glad to have gone with is to get one that is double edged. My shoulders get tired so I change grips, so a single sided blade would make switching difficult. One thing that I wished some one were to point out is the weight factor.

I have a Maruyama HT2300DR which has a listed weight of 10.9 pounds. Although I can do heavy lateral raises and barbell shoulder presses, Slinging around a 10.9 pound trimmer gets heavy fast. Other that this I like the power this trimmer has to go through thick vines and it cuts well. It has a rotating handle, but this feature hasn't really proven to be significant in helping me out. Overall it is good so I'd recommend this one on your list to consider.

ALC-GregH
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I bought a Echo HC165 last week. By the way, it paid for it self on the one job. Yeah I didn't make any money, yet but the next job will be mostly profit! :)

One thing I'm not sure of on the hedger is the piece covering 3/4 of the blade. Does anyone know why it's on there? The first pic is the HC150 blade and shows the metal cover/guide? The next pic is the HC165 blade without the cover/guide. My HC165 has that piece on it. It kind of gets in the way. I'm just wondering why my 165 has it but the website shows it without.
http://www.echo-usa.com/Images/Products/Clippers/HC150/HC150-4.jpg
http://www.echo-usa.com/Images/Products/Clippers/HC165/HC165-4.jpg

ALC-GregH
06-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Maybe I can just take it off? I haven't messed with it outside of using it on the one big job. When I used it, the part that I want to remove seems to stop some of the twig/branches from getting cut at the same length as the open tip does and it leaves it's looking rough which requires more passes to get a clean cut.

Also a good tip on maintaining the blades would be to spray them good with Fluid Film and give it a few blips on the throttle to get it worked into the blades before you put it on the rack.

frotis
06-09-2009, 11:33 AM
You can take that off, my new Echo HC-150 doesnt have one, but I echo from a couple years ago did. When my old one guard bent a tooth or whatever its called the dealer said you can just take it off. Im not sure the purpose.

ALC-GregH
06-09-2009, 11:36 AM
That's cool. I figured it wasn't something that "needs" to be there. I'm more curious why it's there then anything else. I'm going out in the garage and peel that junk off right now. :D

frotis
06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
That's cool. I figured it wasn't something that "needs" to be there. I'm going out in the garage and peel that junk off right now. :D

They call it a "guard" in the parts manual, its probably so you don't get nipped by the edge of the blade if it bumps into you. I had it pinch my leg once, when I had the trimmer at my side and it was still moving a bit.

TheC-Master
06-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Stihl ones work fine with me, I can do bushes and prune trees with little problem (extended reach trimmer on the trees of course). My dad has an Echo and when I used it it doesn't have the same power. My trimmers are very durable as well. I guess you can remove the guard, but I'd leave mine on, the blade is long enough. I cut my knee open last year and had to stitch it up after I finished the job.

LouisianaLawnboy
06-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I got the attachment for the M242. It cost 300.00

nobagger
06-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Whats your price range? My Echo HC 150's have lasted me for years now and still going strong. We just bought a set of Echo HC 165's which are a big step above the 150's but with that comes a bigger price tag. New 150's go for 350.00ish and the 165's just cost us about 500.00ish. If your only going to use them on a few properties a season then any commercial trimmers will last you quite a while if you take care of them.

flyboy
06-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Stihl all the way for me. I have a HS72 and HS45, I use the 45 more because of the longer blades. Only compaint is the small tank.

I'm with you Mudder. I have the Stihl HS80 Hedge Trimmers and love them. I also have a hedge trimmer attachment for my Kombi. I use both of them a lot. The HS 80 is a little heavy, but cut great.:drinkup:

Lawn City
06-10-2009, 06:27 PM
I recently went thru this dilemma and ended up with Stihl HL 90K. I needed something with reach but not too long to do small bushes. I was torn between the Echo extended reach and the Stihl, but after comparing the engine specs I went with the Stihl. I'm glad I did too...the thing is a beast. I spent all day doing our bushes and was not fatigued at all. I'm surprised how hard it was to find one in DFW. Most of the dealers didnt carry the HL 90 just the HL 45.

<---first post - woot!!!

bighaydenslawn
06-10-2009, 06:27 PM
I have the Stihl FS 90R (solid shaft) and I am strongly considering getting the hedge trimmer attachment rather than purchasing a new set of Stihl HS 45 Handheld. Let me know how your attachment works out. I have been getting a good number of hedge trimming calls lately.

david shumaker
06-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Maybe I can just take it off? I haven't messed with it outside of using it on the one big job. When I used it, the part that I want to remove seems to stop some of the twig/branches from getting cut at the same length as the open tip does and it leaves it's looking rough which requires more passes to get a clean cut.

Also a good tip on maintaining the blades would be to spray them good with Fluid Film and give it a few blips on the throttle to get it worked into the blades before you put it on the rack.

I just bought the Echo HC150. It came with the guide you are talking about. I think this is for added protection from cutting yourself. My manual explains the correct way to take it off for commercial work.

You have to make sure you tighten the bolts correctly, so read your manual.

4.3mudder
06-10-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm with you Mudder. I have the Stihl HS80 Hedge Trimmers and love them. I also have a hedge trimmer attachment for my Kombi. I use both of them a lot. The HS 80 is a little heavy, but cut great.:drinkup:

No way I'm climbing on a ladder, no way at all.

I have the attchment too that has paid itself of years ago.

ALC-GregH
06-10-2009, 10:08 PM
I just bought the Echo HC150. It came with the guide you are talking about. I think this is for added protection from cutting yourself. My manual explains the correct way to take it off for commercial work.

You have to make sure you tighten the bolts correctly, so read your manual.

Funny you say that, I DID go out and mess with it, AFTER I read the manual where it states how to remove and install the guide. :) To me, it seemed in the way. I doubt I'd cut myself with it but I guess ya never know.