PDA

View Full Version : Gatorade vs Water

THC
06-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Which is better? I just bought a big can of powered gatorade, football players use it but is it healthy day in day out?

4.3mudder
06-08-2009, 11:35 PM
I drink both. All that sugar in gatorade is not all that good, but the electrolyes are. Powerade is cheaper, I go the cheap route because I'm a cheap azz

KCfireman
06-08-2009, 11:51 PM
It's only good for you if your working out really hard. Mowing ain't gonna cut it.

gotshakes?
06-09-2009, 12:02 AM
I drink H30 from Herbalife, very good for not burning out. It doesn't have the corn syryp like gatorade.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
06-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Crystal light is good to to add to your water or the off name brand plain water gets boring after awhile

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-09-2009, 12:24 AM
I drink H30 from Herbalife, very good for not burning out. It doesn't have the corn syryp like gatorade.

I use AdvoCare's Rehydrate drink heavily during the summer months, especially considering I do all my mowing with a WB. No sitting for me...

redmax fan
06-09-2009, 12:44 AM
GAYtorade :laugh: is pure garbage , BUNCH OF UNNATURAL MAN MADE JUNK .
BAD AS POP / RED BULL ETC

DRINK WATER LIKE A HUMANS SUPPOSED TO DRINK :weightlifter:

* RAW PLANTS AND WATER ARE OUR OPTIMUM CELL FUELS :weightlifter:

MowHouston
06-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Seems like some folks don't know what they are talking about.

Yes, water is good for you to keep you hydrated. Thats why I drink both when I am out. There's no need to chug four bottles of Gatorade while you're out during the day.

Gatorade has electrolytes to help your body, internally, perform better, and carbohydrates for added energy to allow you to work harder and/or longer. Its not a significant boost, but it sure is refreshing either way.

You don't need to be playing football to have the need to drink it.

Do you -have- to have Gatorade? No. And I don't think there is much of a difference between Gatorade and Powerade either.

Although the most basic form of electrolytes in your body is salt, I doubt you would like to be drinking salt water instead of a sports drink :)

EDIT: I need to add... Eating on a healthy diet will do more for you than sipping water and gatorade all day will. Don't eat so much McDonalds while you're out on the road, before, during, or on the way home. Crap like that can really slow you down. Try to eat healthy for a month and see if you feel a difference :)

Check labels of the foods you normally eat. You should be concentrating on cutting fat first, then protein, then carbs for optimal energy.

THC
06-09-2009, 01:39 AM

Yes, water is good for you to keep you hydrated. Thats why I drink both when I am out. There's no need to chug four bottles of Gatorade while you're out during the day.

Gatorade has electrolytes to help your body, internally, perform better, and carbohydrates for added energy to allow you to work harder and/or longer. Its not a significant boost, but it sure is refreshing either way.

Do you -have- to have Gatorade? No. And I don't think there is much of a difference between Gatorade and Powerade either.

Although the most basic form of electrolytes in your body is salt, I doubt you would like to be drinking salt water instead of a sports drink :)

EDIT: I need to add... Eating on a healthy diet will do more for you than sipping water and gatorade all day will. Don't eat so much McDonalds while you're out on the road, before, during, or on the way home. Crap like that can really slow you down. Try to eat healthy for a month and see if you feel a difference :)

Check labels of the foods you normally eat. You should be concentrating on cutting fat first, then protein, then carbs for optimal energy.
I like this post.. except for the McDonalds crack.:laugh:

A one litre of Gatorade on a hot day along with a big jug of water ought to do it. We don't need bottled water where I live, tap water is just as good.

Edit: one time I was with 3 other guys, we were working and doing well. My ex biz partner and I decided to treat everyone with KFC. We bought a bucket... within an hour we all decided to book it for the day.:laugh:

MileHigh
06-09-2009, 01:42 AM
RedBull and Mcdoubles.:laugh:

jbell36
06-09-2009, 01:43 AM
i'm a huge fan of gatorade, i go through at least an 8 pack a week...when we stop for lunch i always get a water to go

WGLandscapeMaintenance
06-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Why on Earth would you ever want to eat KFC, especially on the job??!?

BadRancher
06-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Up to 2 quarts gatorade and quadruple that ammount in water. On not so bad days just one gatorade and the same ammount of water as posted above.

This is not a joke>>> The key is to keep your urine as clear as water or close to it. When your urine is yellow that means you have alot of sodium and sugar, syrups, dyes and etc.(which means your body pH is more on the acidic side and needs to be more on the alkaline "water" side) which your body is trying to get rid of.

My ex. for my self is too much mountain dew!!!

When in doubt drink water. That is all we had before gatorade and etc. came along.
One more thing I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned, but don't drink alot of real cold water when you are really hot. You will be in the fetal position on the backseat or bed of your truck. Anytime your are very tempted to, just remember the last time you took a shot to the balls. That will stop you.

lastdetail14
06-09-2009, 04:38 AM
Ok, so now I can use my degree....

Gatorade or other sports drinks aren't needed until you start sweating profusely. When I used to run, I was advised by coaches and veteran runners, to drink water early and drink sports drink when you start feeling tired. But, continue drinking water. I would advise diluting sports drink 1/1. It's not gonna hurt you but, they do have a lot of sugar. As far as diet goes, eat a rainbow, (no, that doesn't mean skittles), eat a colorful variety of foods. Fruits, vegetables, lean meats. All the stuff mom told us. And of course drink lots of water. 8 - 8oz is for those sitting on the couch. We're probably gonna need more than that. Watch the color of urine. Thats also a good indicator. If it's dark, drink more! Save the cokes for the weekend, or whenever your off-time is. Just my opinion, and a little college fact. Go Pokes! Oklahoma State.

redmax fan
06-09-2009, 08:03 AM

here read this label :

Gatorade contains water, sucrose (table sugar) and glucose-fructose syrups, citric acid, sodium chloride (table salt), sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate,and flavoring/coloring ingredients. Some Gatorade flavorings use brominated vegetable oil as a stabilizer.

now try telling me that garbage is good for
you and i dont know what im talking about ...:angry:
its sugar and salt !!!!!!!!!!

if you want to listen to the washed up united states food and drug administration ran by the washed up united states government / ruling class gatorades good for you . but then think for yourself and look at all the fat , weak , disease ridden people in america eating / drinking like the government ran tv tells them to and you should be able to determine their wrong . kids teeth are full of cavities by age 5 drinking all these goddamn sugar drinks :angry:

now your telling everyone on this site gatorades good for them ,
YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT

LIKE I SAID FIRST POST : DRINK WATER AND EAT RAW PLANTS :weightlifter:

kb9nvh
06-09-2009, 08:05 AM
As a runner I find Gatorade to be refreshing and rejuvenating. It has half the sugar as regular pop (not saying much LOL). Just mowing (not really aerobic exercising), I would think as much water as you care to drink plus throw a Gatorade in there as a treat every now and again.

kb9nvh
06-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Weightlifting isn't a heavy aerobic exercise so you aren't depleting your electrolyte like a runner would. I will agree with you that, mowing doesn't require lots of electrolyte replacement and so water is your best bet.

Still, I'd have a Gatorade or two around when you start feeling crappy when you forget to eat because you've been so busy and your blood sugar goes low.

here read this label :

Gatorade contains water, sucrose (table sugar) and glucose-fructose syrups, citric acid, sodium chloride (table salt), sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate,and flavoring/coloring ingredients. Some Gatorade flavorings use brominated vegetable oil as a stabilizer.

now try telling me that garbage is good for
you and i dont know what im talking about ...:angry:
its sugar and salt !!!!!!!!!!

if you want to listen to the washed up united states food and drug administration ran by the washed up united states government / ruling class gatorades good for you . but then think for yourself and look at all the fat , weak , disease ridden people in america eating / drinking like the government ran tv tells them to and you should be able to determine their wrong . kids teeth are full of cavities by age 5 drinking all these goddamn sugar drinks :angry:

now your telling everyone on this site gatorades good for them ,
YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT

LIKE I SAID FIRST POST : DRINK WATER AND EAT RAW PLANTS :weightlifter:

lastdetail14
06-09-2009, 08:34 AM
sure, don't trust the guy with a degree. Washed up and stuff, we don't test these things. Fructose = sugar,... from fruit. Sucrose = sugar,... from starch. We eat sugar every day. Not just the white stuff from a bag. Sugar isn't evil. Too much of anything can be bad. Sodium is natural too. Don't knock it cause you have high blood pressure. Just relax and take things in moderation. Enjoy things you eat/drink, don't stress the petty stuff. Gatorade , sports drink, is for those that need to replenish electrolytes and WATER. It won't kill you. Geez, If you don't like it, don't drink it.

I would say take it with a grain of salt but, ... then again maybe it's mrs dash no-salt. Have a great day,

kb9nvh
06-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I'll go with the degree guy :-) (and my own personal experience).

The worst thing to drink would be soda pop...man, after 5 or 6 cans on a hot day it about kills ya. I learned my lesson that Gatorade or water is what you need. A nice strong coffee is good to start the morning though....:-)

sure, don't trust the guy with a degree. Washed up and stuff, we don't test these things. Fructose = sugar,... from fruit. Sucrose = sugar,... from starch. We eat sugar every day. Not just the white stuff from a bag. Sugar isn't evil. Too much of anything can be bad. Sodium is natural too. Don't knock it cause you have high blood pressure. Just relax and take things in moderation. Enjoy things you eat/drink, don't stress the petty stuff. Gatorade , sports drink, is for those that need to replenish electrolytes and WATER. It won't kill you. Geez, If you don't like it, don't drink it.

I would say take it with a grain of salt but, ... then again maybe it's mrs dash no-salt. Have a great day,

mdlwn1
06-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Ok, so now I can use my degree....

Gatorade or other sports drinks aren't needed until you start sweating profusely. When I used to run, I was advised by coaches and veteran runners, to drink water early and drink sports drink when you start feeling tired. But, continue drinking water. I would advise diluting sports drink 1/1. It's not gonna hurt you but, they do have a lot of sugar. As far as diet goes, eat a rainbow, (no, that doesn't mean skittles), eat a colorful variety of foods. Fruits, vegetables, lean meats. All the stuff mom told us. And of course drink lots of water. 8 - 8oz is for those sitting on the couch. We're probably gonna need more than that. Watch the color of urine. Thats also a good indicator. If it's dark, drink more! Save the cokes for the weekend, or whenever your off-time is. Just my opinion, and a little college fact. Go Pokes! Oklahoma State.

This

I used to race motocross endurance races. Mix gatorade 50/50 with water. Str8 gatorade is too strong and all water just isnt enough. My daily routine was this plus ONE can of coca cola later in the day as well as some OJ. Worked 10-12 hours mowing with walk behinds and pushing spreaders into my early 30's this way.

Mac'sMowingCO
06-09-2009, 11:56 AM

even though the sodium content of gatorade is extremely high due to the fact that athletes need high amounts of sodium to replenish the high amounts lost through sweat. Its ALMOST like drinking flavored salt water but not quite because it also has other good stuff like the electrolytes.

land_scaper70
06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I like the thought of using beer, here is an article that I found, just have to wait until you are done working for the day.:drinkup:

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/3467

kb9nvh
06-09-2009, 12:10 PM
And there ya go...but your afternoon customers may complain about their missing rose garden.. *grin*

I like the thought of using beer, here is an article that I found, just have to wait until you are done working for the day.:drinkup:

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/3467

mnglocker
06-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I usually get the gatorade mix in packs for 16.9oz bottles of water and add one for every gallon of water instead.

SNAPPER MAN
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
We drink gatorade, but I buy the low cal gatorade because it isn't bad for you like original is and it taste just as good.

willretire@40
06-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I try to drink 1 gallon of water and 1 32oz gatorade. Drinking a gallon of water isnt the easy thing to do for me.

grasswhackers
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I can do both but I normally will purposely water down my gator/power aid. The taste doesnt bother me. I just dont want all the sugar that comes with mixing it the right way. By watering it down you get more water content without all the sugars you dont need and still some electrolytes.

lawnwizards
06-09-2009, 04:02 PM
i buy the gatorade mix. i mix it a little lean and also when the ice melts it thins it out even more. not very tasty, but better than water in my opinion. i also chew alot of sunflower seeds for my salt loss. i'm a profuse sweater. doesnt matter if its 60 or 100 out there.

LONEMAN
06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Water is better. If you want real water- it needs to be filtered out of a well from a good area, and if it's from a public source, it must be run through a reverse osmosis filter to remove chloride and fluoride. I have spent countless hours researching health-related info which is hard to figure out truth from lies and have found Mercola's web site to be the best source of info.

pawatch
06-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I was under the understanding that it is ok to drink Gatorade, before you start what ever activity you are doing.
But once you start working/whatever. Water is the way to go.
And if you aren't P-ing you need to keep drinking. Also the color of the urine is a good indicator....as mentioned.

LONEMAN
06-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Another thing I'd like to add is that you probably don't need to be drinking enough water to make your urine clear. As a matter of face, that would be too much water in your system. Listen to your body- if you are thirsty, then it's a signal that you need some water. I think the clear urine concept was blown out of proportion so that you can buy more water.

Chilehead
06-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I have to let you all know that I am a competitive cyclist and sport nutrition has been somewhat of a long learning process for me. In this industry you don't want to overload your self with sugar (you should not do it anyway), yet you still need a combination of simple and complex carbs to maintain performance. For a sport beverage while mowing all day, Cytomax is hands down the winner. If you are going to drink it all day long, mix it at half the regular rate.

kb9nvh
06-09-2009, 09:41 PM
so, how different is cytomax than gatorade? is it a whole different animal or just different proportions of "stuff" in the mix?

Just found
The problem with Gatorade (and drinks like it) is that it uses SUGAR as its main source of fuel. Drinks like Cytomax use maltodextrin. Gatorade is a thirst quencher, not an endurance drink. That's why they came up with Gatorade Endurance (I think it only comes in the gross lemon-line flavor). Now, don't get me wrong. In HS wrestling, all we had was Gatorade, LL or orange flavor.

Sugar is a good source of energy and so is maltodextrin. Your body burns glucose, and it can quickly convert either sugar or maltodextrin into glucose. The only advantage maltodextrin has is that it has a very high glycemic index, meaning it is absorbed from the digestive tract quickly. Therefore malto is better if you need energy *right now.* The glucose and sucrose in Gatorade have a medium-high glycemic index and are metered a little slower into the bloodstream than a malto based drink. If you're on a long endurance ride, it can actually be better to not have a drink with a super-fast glycemic index because it will meter slower into your system and give you an energy boost over a longer period of time.

Gatorade is a good endurance drink -- with sucrose, glucose, sodium and potassium as its main ingredients, it will work to extend a long ride, help prevent a bonk and provide basic electrolytes to prevent salt depletion. Cytomax is also very good and may very well be a little bit better than Gatorade, but not so much better as to be justify spending 3x or 4x the cost, IMHO.

I have to let you all know that I am a competitive cyclist and sport nutrition has been somewhat of a long learning process for me. In this industry you don't want to overload your self with sugar (you should not do it anyway), yet you still need a combination of simple and complex carbs to maintain performance. For a sport beverage while mowing all day, Cytomax is hands down the winner. If you are going to drink it all day long, mix it at half the regular rate.

lawncuttinfoo
06-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Most of what you say makes sense except for the last, "CUT protein and carbs... for MORE energy"???

Complex Carbohydrates are one of the best fuels for endurance.

LBLC_LCO
06-09-2009, 11:06 PM
I'll keep it simple and stick to water and a well balanced diet.

Chilehead
06-09-2009, 11:31 PM
so, how different is cytomax than gatorade? is it a whole different animal or just different proportions of "stuff" in the mix?

Yes, maltodextrin is better for you in terms of how well it performs compared to sucrose, fructose, glucose, and especially any form of corn syrup sweetener. It also has a superior level of vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes than gatorade. :)