PDA

View Full Version : Most Affordable Dual Hydros?

jiacovino
06-09-2009, 12:51 AM
I have a pretty good operation going with just a 36'' Belt Driven WB, trim mower, trimmer, etc.

I was thinking about upgrading to a dual hydro with a sulky to increase my productivity.

It seems like most dual hyrdro's are in the $5000s. The BOP's range from $3100 to $3500, the Hustler TrimStar is around $4000, and the the 36'' Wright Stander is around $4600. Are there any other Dual Hydro's priced under $5000?

Chilehead
06-09-2009, 01:03 AM
EverRide Scorpion FX 34"

zman2307
06-09-2009, 01:05 AM
possibly Gravely.

jiacovino
06-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Do you know the prices on either of those?

MowHouston
06-09-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm gonna say it before anyone else does:

The Better Outdoor Products Quick 36 Dually.

There. Now no one can say the BOP guys are being biased, because I don't have one :)

jiacovino
06-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I really have been considering the BOP 36'' but am worried about some of the things I've read in the threads.

I realize pretty much any mower will clog up in wet grass, but if a Quick does so any more or any faster that the BobCat I'm running now, then I want to stay away from it.

I also think I'd have to invest in an accelerator catcher for the BOP, because the Grass Gobbler i have now would probably be too heavy.

--Investing in a BOP Quick Dually, sulky, and accelerator probably puts me in that $4000+ area.

turfbuilder
06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Great Dane Surfer :usflag:

jiacovino
06-09-2009, 10:47 AM
What's the price range on the Surfer, do you know?

--and I've read that the Stander is better (probably opinion though)

ALC-GregH
06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I really have been considering the BOP 36'' but am worried about some of the things I've read in the threads.

I realize pretty much any mower will clog up in wet grass, but if a Quick does so any more or any faster that the BobCat I'm running now, then I want to stay away from it.

I also think I'd have to invest in an accelerator catcher for the BOP, because the Grass Gobbler i have now would probably be too heavy.

--Investing in a BOP Quick Dually, sulky, and accelerator probably puts me in that $4000+ area.

Your right, it will. However, you'll have a Accelerator catcher (Landscaper Pro kit is perfect), stepsaver and a great cutting mower. I don't let others experience make the decision whether I buy something. I've come to the conclusion that ANY mower will clog up in "wet" long grass. After mowing the last few times in "wet" grass, I've found that even the Velocity Plus deck will clog up, so bad that the left blade was leaving a mowhawk. I'd stop for a second or 2 and it would billow out large clumps of grass. I also have the bagger baffle installed which I contribute to the clogging. Even with that said, I can't see why the BOP mower WON'T be right for me. My bet is, the 36 dually will stripe great and cut some grass too. :) My Scag stripes and cuts great too. Nice wide stripes out front @ my place. Can't wait to cut it with the 36 dually. I'll post pic of the same shot only cut with my dually.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01614.jpg?t=1244560621
I'm sure most of us debating the BOP mowers have seen the pics of the finished cut in the "family photos" section on BOP's website.
http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/BodyPages/Images/PhotoAlbum/Believe%20it!.jpg
http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/BodyPages/Images/PhotoAlbum/%60lil%20bush-hoggin%60.jpg

turfbuilder
06-09-2009, 11:58 AM
What's the price range on the Surfer, do you know?

--and I've read that the Stander is better (probably opinion though)

I bought my brand new 52" Surfer with a kawasaki 19hp for $4000.00
Everride Scorpion is the same machine.
I was looking at a 52"Wright because I already have a 48" wright and love it.
The price difference was over $2000.00 so I went with the Dane. No regrets.

jiacovino
06-09-2009, 12:07 PM
My Scag stripes and cuts great too. Nice wide stripes out front @ my place. Can't wait to cut it with the 36 dually. I'll post pic of the same shot only cut with my dually.

I definitely want to see some photos when you get the chance...my only question is if the clogging on a BOP occurs more frequently than other name brand walk behinds.

I bought my brand new 52" Surfer with a kawasaki 19hp for $4000.00
Everride Scorpion is the same machine.
I was looking at a 52"Wright because I already have a 48" wright and love it.
The price difference was over $2000.00 so I went with the Dane. No regrets.

I'm wondering if a 34'' Surfer then is under $4000. How is the comparison between the Great Dane and the Wright Stander?

turfbuilder
06-10-2009, 10:00 AM
The controls on the Wright seem a little more user friendly than the Dane at first till you get used to the Dane.

The Wright hugs slopes better than the Dane , I think because the foot print on the Wright is shorter.

They both cut the same.

Same engines and hydros. :dancing:

lifetree
06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I just found this looks like a great deal ...

The pistol grips will wear out your forearms by the end of the day !! I would say go with the Quick 36".

ed2hess
06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
We bought a SnapperPro 36" dual hydro this year and it is around $3K. We have several hydro units and debated going to belt drive units because of the price. We finally decided on this unit. It has crank adjustable deck, grease certs for spindles that is accessible from top, a brake like Walker, a Kaw 13hp dual piston. And it has grease certs on all the hinge points on the deck. The unit is not built as heavy as the old scag dual hydro but I think it will be fine with good maintance. The cut is equal to our other units but southern grasses are pretty easy.

G&G Maintenace
06-10-2009, 07:17 PM
saw this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Toro-52-Walk-Behind-commercial-lawn-mower_W0QQitemZ120432130764QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0a507acc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A570|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

ALC-GregH
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I definitely want to see some photos when you get the chance...my only question is if the clogging on a BOP occurs more frequently than other name brand walk behinds.

I'll post some pics. It would be hard for me to tell how bad it clogs up IF it clogs until I've had a chance to use it in ideal clogging conditions. :) Soon though, I'll have the dually on Friday. :D :cool2:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-10-2009, 08:35 PM
I would say do not worry too much about BOP Quick's decks clogging. I only have a problem with that for about two weeks in May, when growth is at its peak, and just before the seed heads come out. Once the seed heads hit, they scour the deck, and the clogging is not an issue. Yes, you will need to clean your deck a couple times a week regardless.

The Quick eats summertime (non May) grass alive - it has been a real $ maker for me so I can get past the clogging issue pretty easily.

gdguth
06-10-2009, 09:17 PM
I never had a problem with my Quick 36 clogging. I thought it gave an awesome cut and striped very good. On the other hand, I had a lot of trouble with my Quick. My deck cracked where the caster wheel arm is welded to the deck. The handle bars cracked and broke off. The machine ate belts all the time and the clutch would always stick and not shut off. I won't even tell you about the briggs engine problems, but that is not BOP's problem. Other than that it was and is a good mower and a great company. I don't use it anymore since I bought my TTHP. There is no comparison. Now I must say, I wish I could run another quick for a year or two because I bought mine back in 2005 and they were fairly new then. I think a lot of the issues I had have been solved now. Anyways, best of luck guys and ALCH-Greg I can't wait to see them stripes.

nnj18
06-10-2009, 10:14 PM
lescos are around $4k

jiacovino
06-11-2009, 07:38 PM
3k for a Snapper Pro seems like a good deal, but wouldn't it be sort of underpowered with a 13hp engine?

mjealey
06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Snapper Pro has a great walk behind. 36" deck, dual hydro, full-floating deck. Price tag of $3899. Can't be beat. I have a good bit of hours on mine and it is a great cutting and very reliable machine.

mjealey
06-11-2009, 08:54 PM
No it is not under powered. It has plenty of power. I do not use a sulky on mine. I only walk behind it as the mower is for small properties. 13 HP Kawi is fine on it.

ed2hess
06-12-2009, 05:41 PM
3k for a Snapper Pro seems like a good deal, but wouldn't it be sort of underpowered with a 13hp engine?

This is a two piston unit......don't they have more power usually than
the single piston Kohler 15hp for example. Seems like it has plenty of power but we don't cut these knee high grasses like is seen in some threads.

jiacovino
06-14-2009, 01:21 PM
do you think the 13hp could handle a two-wheeled sulky too?

lawnpro724
06-14-2009, 03:15 PM
If you looking for a decent mower without the cost why not give Redhawk 36" dual hydo a try. Their built solid and the cut of the mower is good and better than BOP in taller wet grass. Snapper also makes a good mower but will cost you more. Do a search on this site for the brand of mower you looking for and read what others have posted. Most if not all of the negative reviews you will read about Redhawk mower are from people who have never owned one. People who own these mowers like them. and the price is very good.

jiacovino
06-15-2009, 08:25 PM
I started off with a RedHawk belt driven WB. I swore to never use one again...it was just problem after problem...

Maybe the hydro's are built a little better...

grizz228
06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I would look at the encore too. I have know idea of the price.