PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo in school playgroud

brentsawyer
06-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Yesterday, the head of my daughters school asked me what to do about the neighbors bamboo that was planted and has since creeped into the schools playground. I know a little about bamboo but have no idea what would be the best way to control the shoots that have begun growing. Since the playground is all mulch and nice dirt beneath, it's a treasure chest for the stuff and could run pretty rampant. Since it's pretty early though, something has to be done soon before it takes over. My worries are obvious using any highstrength herbicide around toddlers-4 year olds is not smart. Any suggestions. BTW two 6' fences about 3' apart divide the line where the bamboo has grown into. It started on the outside of the second fence and has started to fill the inbetween area and shoots have grown 10' out into the playground.

White Gardens
06-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Yikes!.........

mdlwn1
06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Bamboo should be illegal. This is a major issue. I doubt the politics of a school system will allow for an Herbecide. The only way to stop the spread is to build a wall more than 4 feet down. It will be interesting to see how yours and many others situations will develope during the next few years. Id imagine a legal precedent will have to be established at some point.

Dreams To Designs
06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
The best solution would be for the neighbor to take care of it, but short of that a root barrier will work. Deep Roots makes a very successful Geomembrane that will contain or divert bamboo if installed properly. A containment system should have been installed when the bamboo was planted, but most folks doubt it's aggressive nature. http://www.deeproot.com/template.php?sec=products&nav=geoMem&content=geo_app&sub=4&lsel=1

You will have to dig a trench and insert the barrier and keep a watchful eye on any rhizomes that will attempt to go over the top. They can be cut off with pruners or loppers. When creating a containment system, the overlap should typically be around 8" and fastened with two pieces of stainless steel bar stock and lot's of stainless steel bolts, nuts and lock washers.

Kirk

JNyz
06-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Contact the township first and they might considerate it evasive and the homeowner will have to take care of the issue.

brentsawyer
06-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Good ideas. Didn't think of it being considered evasive along the lines of Kudzu. I called the head of the school and suggested she constact the cities entomologist and tell him its evasive and needs to be removed since it's impling on the neighboring property.

JNyz
06-09-2009, 02:40 PM
My township considers it evasive and will give homeowners 90 days to keep it within their property.

brentsawyer
06-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Hope we're better than 90 days. In bamboo terms, this is the beginning of the season and it's over in three months. Who knows what kind of mess we counld have by then.