PDA

View Full Version : Shoes or Boots

Okielawman28
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
What do most of you guys wear when you are working, I prefer an old pair of new balance running shoes. They are more comfortable than boots, and I really dont have any reason to be wearing boots.

Thanks for the imput.

Chris

LBLC_LCO
06-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I always wear boots. I prefer them over shoes, I don't even remember the last time I wore shoes, either working or not. I think you have more protection with boots when working outside, whether it be debris hitting your foot or rolling an ankle, a boot offers more protection.
Currently wearing these Redhead 8" ironhorse from Bass Pro:
http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/95500/95733-b.jpg

Wizz
06-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm a tennis shoe guy...but for working it's comfortable boots for protection from equipment/debris/critters. I wear 16" Red Head snake boots from Bass Pro as we have snakes in our area I try to avoid getting tagged by. They are extremely soft/comfortable (sole soft as a tennis shoe) and waterproof as well, I walk where I please w/o any worry with them on...safety first for me.

verant
06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I wear CAT work boots. More protection than shoes

justanotherlawnguy
06-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Both. For just mowing tennis shoes are much more comfortable. If I am doing palm trimming on the ladder, than I break out the boots.

I love you everyone always plays the boots are safer card. Sure they are, if you work in a factory. In the last 6 years I cannot think of a SINGLE time when I said to myself "good thing I had my boots on!"

Yes I have had the edger kick back and hit my foot with both crocs and tennis shoes on, and the edger didn't do anything....

Wear what's more comfortable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Junior M
06-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Both. For just mowing tennis shoes are much more comfortable. If I am doing palm trimming on the ladder, than I break out the boots.

I love you everyone always plays the boots are safer card. Sure they are, if you work in a factory. In the last 6 years I cannot think of a SINGLE time when I said to myself "good thing I had my boots on!"

Yes I have had the edger kick back and hit my foot with both crocs and tennis shoes on, and the edger didn't do anything....

Posted via Mobile Device
An edger kicked back, while wearing crocs, and your talking about it like its all fine and dandy? Might as well wear flip flops!

And I wear boots, no matter what I am doing, boots for everything. Unless there is the occasional lazy day where we do nothing but cut I'll wear my tennis shoes because I know I'll be on the mower all day..

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

illjust say this as a easy way to understand boots actually protect. i was on the roof of my trck fixing a gas price sign when i was doen i jumped into the back of my trauck but i fel down from this terrible pain. the wet grass was covering a steel rake turned upside down with the forks sticking up. one of the steel forks wen through my sneaker and into my foot it did some damage cause i couldnt walk at all for 2 weeks i had a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of my foot it was very painfull and i can deal with pain! i snapped my arm in half and that wasnt anywhere near as painfull, well it wasnt as painfull till they bolted large titanium plates to the bone then it was throbbing for a week

ferris09
06-09-2009, 03:05 PM
A lot of people say "well I have done it this way for years and nothing has happened to me". Just because it hasn't happened to you yet does not mean what you are doing is safe, maybe you have been lucky. It is always better to say " glad I had my boots on" and not "I wished I had my boots on"

NIXRAY
06-09-2009, 03:44 PM
BOOTS always, either my CAT's or Wolvrine's.

hackitdown
06-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I wear steel toe Timberland Pro sneakers.
http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2290884&cp=1762199.1780843&clickid=mainnav_browse_txt&parentPage=family

Wizz
06-09-2009, 04:40 PM
A lot of people say "well I have done it this way for years and nothing has happened to me". Just because it hasn't happened to you yet does not mean what you are doing is safe, maybe you have been lucky. It is always better to say " glad I had my boots on" and not "I wished I had my boots on"

Exactly...it only takes once to cause some type of injury so you only get one chance at protection. In addition to my snake boots I use CAT mid-top steel toe work boots, those are very comfortable as well, just not as good snake bite protection.

I'm all about tennis shoes, but not when heavy equipment or rattlesnakes are involved :drinkup:

Dave_005
06-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I Always wear Hiking boots when working

Mike Blevins
06-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I wear Adidas running shoes while mowing. No way I could stand a boot when its 98 degrees with 100% humidity.

djflats
06-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Around the house I can get by with shoes but usually wear a pair of Altama desert combat boots, non-steel toe.
At work it's boots all the way. Thorogood desert combat boots w/ a steel toe. Comfortable and a rugged sole.