PDA

View Full Version : Question about lime.

Gabby
06-09-2009, 03:57 PM
I did a soil test on my lawn in a few places and it came in around 6.0 (acidic). I put down some lime yesterday and the forecast was for some thunderstorms, but it poured rain in buckets last night. Am I screwed and it all washed away or do you think I might be alright. used lime pellets not pulverized. Thanks.

jsf343
06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I did a soil test on my lawn in a few places and it came in around 6.0 (acidic). I put down some lime yesterday and the forecast was for some thunderstorms, but it poured rain in buckets last night. Am I screwed and it all washed away or do you think I might be alright. used lime pellets not pulverized. Thanks.

Are you saying the whole pellet may have washed away or washed through the grass layer too quickly? It will not wash through the layer that quick, should be fine. it takes a while before you will see much of a difference in the PH, if anything it was probably good to get it washed in.

Smallaxe
06-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Where do you think the pellets went?

Gabby
06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Are you saying the whole pellet may have washed away or washed through the grass layer too quickly? It will not wash through the layer that quick, should be fine. it takes a while before you will see much of a difference in the PH, if anything it was probably good to get it washed in.

I was hoping the heavy rain did not "wash it away". I am hoping it got washed in like you said and not away as it did rain pretty hard. Thanks for the reply.

Gabby
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Where do you think the pellets went?

Worried they got washed away.

ron mexico75
06-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Well 6.5 is NEUTRAL in the pH scale so I assume you didn't put down much. I would suspect if you already have an established lawn then the lime didn't wash away. Meaning; carried off of your property and into the storm drain.

If it was a new lawn project, meaning; all soil no established grass, then a majority probably did wash away.

Gabby
06-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Well 6.5 is NEUTRAL in the pH scale so I assume you didn't put down much. I would suspect if you already have an established lawn then the lime didn't wash away. Meaning; carried off of your property and into the storm drain.

If it was a new lawn project, meaning; all soil no established grass, then a majority probably did wash away.

No it's an established lawn. That is what I was hoping it did not get washed off. 7.0 is neutral correct? I know 6.5 is wear you want to be for a lawn though.

ron mexico75
06-11-2009, 09:42 AM
No it's an established lawn. That is what I was hoping it did not get washed off. 7.0 is neutral correct? I know 6.5 is wear you want to be for a lawn though.

Yes you're right. 7.0 is technically NEUTRAL. 6.5 is a great place on the scale for a lawn.