PDA

View Full Version : Customer: "Why don't you skip my lawn this week" - how to handle

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
OK Guys, you ALL have heard this. I found a few threads about it as well - but I want to revive the subject....

I pulled up to a lawn this week for the weekly cut. Resi lawn, older guy, pretty nice guy, 1/4 acre $30 a cut deal. He comes out of the house and I am thinking 'uh oh, he doesn't want it cut today'. Got to talking with him, and I was right on the money, so I said that's fine, I will just come back on Thursday (today is Tues) and do the job, no big deal (and it wasn't). He said "Well, you cut it good last week, lets just skip it for the week and you come back next week." (He is on a weekly agreement, signed and dated). I advised that he IS on a weekly agreement, and with the spring growth, I should be working weekly on the lawn, I want to keep it looking nice for him. He said "Well, if its dry, there is no sense in just running down the grass, right?" I agreed, but stated its not dry (it just rained 2" a couple days ago). Finally, I just said I'd come back next week as I didn't want to tick off this customer by being defensive. But I said his lawn will get long by the time I come back, if he is ok with that.

Also, this customer wants a lower cut than my std 3". I said ok, but with my Quick 36 it takes 10-15 mins to adjust the deck, but I can do it if he wants. He said he would think about it.

So, how do you handle these situations guys? He is a nice guy, but probably just does not want to pay the weekly cut price. Should I be pro-active and offer him strict bi-weekly and raise the price $5-$10 a cut? I am thinking of doing this. I am not going bi-weekly at the weekly price.

Thoughts please....

kb9nvh
06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm not in the business but here are my thoughts:
I would charge more for a lower cut, just for the aggravation factor (15minute change time) but also for the extra wear and tear and chance of hitting more stuff, mole hills.

I want to hear peoples thoughts on the skipping cuts as well. Seems like, in any business, you have to balance "being the nice guy" to "hard and fast rules". I would be tempted to give someone with a contract may up to 3 weeks where they can PASS on their cut and not have to pay that week (of course, you calculate that in at the beginning and up the price of the regular cut I guess)

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-09-2009, 05:38 PM
If they do not want me to cut then it states in my agreement that they need to call me before I get there and let me know, If I show up and they ask me to not mow then they get charged 1/3 the normal rate... If I get there and decide it does not need it ....no charge...... But if skipping causes more work the next week......there is extra charges

Whitey4
06-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I have two accounts that get no fert and no irrigation... rare around here. One is a neighbor, house empty until she decides to move back into it (her now deceased Dad's home) or stay in the one she is in, the other a 100 year old woman and her niece asked me to mow it for them, from an ad in my church bulletin. I cut them as needed. When it needs it is my decision.

For every other customer, it's weekly or good bye. I have slots to fill for mowing. A limited number of slots as a solo. I have my route. I also do the fert... these lawns all need weekly cuts anyway.

Last year I was hungrier, and I would do whatever the customer wanted. The quality of my service and fert/weed control program has put me in demand. Things are different this year.

I would tell the guy that if he wanted bi-weekly cuts I would do it for $45 a cut until he found another landscaper. No way I lose a mowing slot and have to spend more time doing a bi-weekly.

LONEMAN
06-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I'd tell the customers that I don't do bi-weeklys but if the grass is dry during the summer I'd use my best judgment. However, if they ask me to skip and I have to double I'd charge em double the regular price.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Good ideas - and let me clarify, I am busy enough this season that I do not 'have to have' a particular piece of business, I can kiss it goodbye without hurting myself at all.

I have heard from at least a couple of you if I go bi-weekly, or skip, to do 1.5x to 2x the regular cut rate.

Whitey4
06-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Good ideas - and let me clarify, I am busy enough this season that I do not 'have to have' a particular piece of business, I can kiss it goodbye without hurting myself at all.

I have heard from at least a couple of you if I go bi-weekly, or skip, to do 1.5x to 2x the regular cut rate.

I think 2X's the weekly for a bi is a bit over the top... it's like saying sure, but I'll wring out your wallet for that. 1.5 is reasonable, and it makes the customer think geeze, I won't save much this way... let him make the choice. 1.5 or find someone else.

birdman0494
06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Well im kind of in your spot, But if your not in the position where you 'need' the customer for any major purchase id say be a litte ballsy and charge 1.5 for every 2 weeks or tell him you gotta let him go, Sadly I dont have taht convience

Charles
06-09-2009, 06:38 PM
$30 for every week and $40 for every 2 weeks. Problem solved. Tell him that is the best you can do and stick to that. Try to spread the clippings around. Get a mower that doesn't take 15 minutes to change the height :dizzy: Must be a small yard. I don't have anything that cheap:hammerhead:

dKoester
06-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Go hand out some door hangers in the neighborhood to drum up some more business. Be positive and don't let small setback bother you too much.

AndyTblc
06-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I've had a customer that had wanted her lawn cut shorter. I tell her it's better if it gets cut higher when it's dry and hot out. She said, "well if you cut it so high, that means you just have to come back more" I told her it would be an inconvenience to have to change the height of the mower just for her. All I have to do is lean over and turn a knob a few times I can do it while I'm cutting, but I didn't tell her that, because the higher I cut the better it will look and the more I can cut it.

LawnTamer
06-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Never skip, this is your income. You can only fit so many lawns in your schedule, you can't hold a slot open for someone who isn't going to get service.

Right in our service agreement, NO SKIPS.

MileHigh
06-09-2009, 08:12 PM
20-30% increase for the skipped week.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Never skip, this is your income. You can only fit so many lawns in your schedule, you can't hold a slot open for someone who isn't going to get service.

While I understand your POV.......I refused to operate this way.... I will not charge someone for nothing.... and because of that I pick up customers regularly that dump providers that continue to mow when there is nothing but dust.......

Diversification of my operation allows me to skip lawns and maintain a regular cash flow.....and provide service that customers like...

QualityLawnCare4u
06-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Most of my yards are every other week which is the norm here. With the rain we have been getting it is causing me to have to double cut EVERY yard which kills your profit. Was not bad back when rain was non existant. I absolutely refuse to take on any new yards that want it done every other week unless we are in drougt conditions! In your case a 30 dollar yard that takes you an extra 15 minutes to adjust your mower for and plus the extra growth... you have to ask yourself is it really worth it?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-09-2009, 08:28 PM
While I understand your POV.......I refused to operate this way.... I will not charge someone for nothing.... and because of that I pick up customers regularly that dump providers that continue to mow when there is nothing but dust.......

Diversification of my operation allows me to skip lawns and maintain a regular cash flow.....and provide service that customers like...

I agree - I DO go to a 10 day or every other week if conditions become very dry out, usually in July and August. But for goodness sakes, not now, not after 2" of rain and spring growth.

THC
06-09-2009, 08:40 PM
OK Guys, you ALL have heard this. I found a few threads about it as well - but I want to revive the subject....

I pulled up to a lawn this week for the weekly cut. Resi lawn, older guy, pretty nice guy, 1/4 acre $30 a cut deal. He comes out of the house and I am thinking 'uh oh, he doesn't want it cut today'. Got to talking with him, and I was right on the money, so I said that's fine, I will just come back on Thursday (today is Tues) and do the job, no big deal (and it wasn't). He said "Well, you cut it good last week, lets just skip it for the week and you come back next week." (He is on a weekly agreement, signed and dated). I advised that he IS on a weekly agreement, and with the spring growth, I should be working weekly on the lawn, I want to keep it looking nice for him. He said "Well, if its dry, there is no sense in just running down the grass, right?" I agreed, but stated its not dry (it just rained 2" a couple days ago). Finally, I just said I'd come back next week as I didn't want to tick off this customer by being defensive. But I said his lawn will get long by the time I come back, if he is ok with that.

Also, this customer wants a lower cut than my std 3". I said ok, but with my Quick 36 it takes 10-15 mins to adjust the deck, but I can do it if he wants. He said he would think about it.

So, how do you handle these situations guys? He is a nice guy, but probably just does not want to pay the weekly cut price. Should I be pro-active and offer him strict bi-weekly and raise the price $5-$10 a cut? I am thinking of doing this. I am not going bi-weekly at the weekly price.

Thoughts please....
I would have told him that I charge extra 5 bucks for bi weekly and I am cutting at the proper height.

I would have been po'd that I had to show up there to hear this crap though some lawn really only have to be cut every two weeks but when customers start turning into "I'll call you when I need it" They are on their way out. Sometimes I regret losing customers this way, so I have to be careful not to over react. But I would be pissed. I guess I would try and judge if this is the way it's going to be from now on or if it's a one time thing.
The shorter the grass the harder it is to hide clippings. I would NOT change height if it takes 20 mins (btw, I thought all the quick fan boys say it takes a couple minutes?:laugh:). With a 21" I'll change the height though.

When people start talking about grass hieght I say things like.. grass height and roots are the same length so longer roots mean the grass stays greener longer and is much healthier.

Just the other day someone told me to start bagging and I told them fine but I would have to use the 21" instead of the 36 (which has a mulch kit on it) so I would have to charge more. He said do it as usual. Sometimes the "Extra money" thing changes their tune.

THC
06-09-2009, 08:46 PM

I like this answer better then my own. But I don't have a service agreement.:confused:

Greg78
06-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I said ok, but with my Quick 36 it takes 10-15 mins to adjust the deck

How in the heck can it take you 10-15 mins. I just timed myself because I never change the rear height because I am either cutting at 3 1/2" or 4".
Anyway I changed from 4" down to 2" front and back in a little less than 4 minutes and part that was going to the van for the ratchet and socket.

flames46
06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I service most of my customers every 10 days. With the rain we've had they take a little longer and probably need cut every week. I only have one account thats every two weeks. It is highly shaded and I explained to the lady that I would mow over it only once. She doesn't mind the way it looks I guess. Personally, I don't like to mow every two weeks.

WildLake
06-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I just lost $1200+ a month in mowing from 2 customers in one week who wanted every two weeks instead of once a week. Not only do you have to double cut, but the first cut takes forever, and on large properties like that, you end up working and paying your guys to work 2 hours late that day, that you don't get payed for. Plus, not only do you not get payed for that extra work, you lose the profit from every other week. So in the end you work late, screw up your schedule, add wear and tear to you equipment, leave a poor finished product, and spend the day pissed off for what amounts to one cuts profit. Id rather let them go.

I usually explain all of that to the customer in a nicer way. If they can't appreciate the fact that they have reserved a slot on my schedule and that I count on that income from them to stay afloat, I will continue to show up each week till they let me go.

Mowbizz
06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I have one elderly couple that has no irrigation or fert and the lawn all but dies in August...it's a dust bowl and they call ahead to tell me to skip. I'll do it because I'm still building my client base and eventually will drop them anyway, once my route is tight and with good lawns and clients.

david shumaker
06-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I have started to stay away from people who want tall grass cut short. I explain why I don't do it in the spring. I only cut when the lawn needs it in the hot summer months of July and Aug. I wouldn't want someone charge to cut dust if my lawn was short and dry.

If someone says to come back and the grass needs cutting, I might let it slide once, but I'm not going to ride by their house all the time and ask if they want their lawn cut. It cost money in travel time and truck expenses to just go check on their lawn.

I don't know of anyone who will come to my house to "just look" for $35.00 or $40.00 worth of work.

Florida Gardener
06-09-2009, 10:02 PM
let me throw this out there. What if it you skip the guy one week, and the next week your supposed to cut it rains a few days before or even all week. Now, you are at 3 weeks. I don't even want to think of what the lawn would look like at that point.

I only have 2 bi-weeklies. One that is about an acre and 1/4 i cut today. It has a lot of Bahia which needs every 3-4 days in the summer down here. It was a JUNGLE. The problem with this property is that is has 2 main areas that hold water when it rains. Well, this was the case today. Now, when I go back in two weeks to cut again, I have these two areas that went a month without cutting. I am thinking of a way to charge the customer for this. It's not his fault it has been raining a lot, but he wants bi-weekly.

You have to look at it this way. You had this guy sign an agreement for weekly. he did. If you are on a per cut basis and the growing season is when your making your money, you can't skip a week. Yes, customers will pull the "well, it has been kind of dry" in which case you could skip, but are they jumping to put their hand in their pockets when you have to miss a whole week due to rain and cut a jungle?? No, they will say "blame it on the rain." So you lost a weeks worth of income or a couple of days AND you have to mow through a jungle. Tell this guy he signed the agreement and you need to cut weekly. If he doesn't like it, let him go.

gdguth
06-09-2009, 10:17 PM
I have had an older lady do this before. She wants me to skip a week and always wants it cut lower. I did it once or twice and then the following week would jsut start mowing it higher. Then she realized that she shouldn't have asked be cause her yard was a jungle and it gave me a good reason to cut it higher.

Roger
06-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Perhaps I am in the minority here, on a couple of fronts.
1. I make the decision to skip or to cut, and have had nobody complain about my choice for years.

2. I make the decision on cutting height. Again, I have nobody complain or discuss the topic in years. I change heights over the Spring, on into Summer, and then make changes again in early Fall, rounding down to a last cut in late Fall. On some properties, I mow at two, sometimes three different heights, depending on what is needed for the area being mowed. "One size fits all" is fine for Spandex, but not for keeping a lawn looking right, and maintaining it for the season.

3. I never make pricing changes if I skip a week. If the growth is that slow that I choose to skip one week, the time required for the two-week cycle is probably less than in early Spring for one-week cycles. The 30%, 100%, or XX% uptick is confusing and unnecessary, IMHO.

I work without any agreement or contract. I think the original post supports my suggestion that they don't mean much. When the customer comes out and asks you not to work, but the document says otherwise, you look pretty foolish in trying to enforce the terms of some piece of paper. It is only grass mowing.

nobagger
06-09-2009, 11:24 PM
When I first started in this business years ago, I worked for a company that never skipped anyone! I always thought why in the hell are we cutting this. So when I started out on my own I swore I would never cut it if it didnt need it. For the most part people like to hear that so I rarely ever have a problem. But in the past few seasons Ive noticed more and more people on occasion asking us to skip a week as we are unloading mower's, well gas isnt getting any cheaper so I started asking people to call us if they wanted us to skip it that week and save us a trip, after all it is their property. But apparently thats too much to ask now I just mow every body every week! I'm not going to keep wasting fuel every week checking on these properties.

weeble67
06-09-2009, 11:36 PM
I guess I do my business a bit different. The first year I do a per mowing with billing at the end of the month. The next year I add up the amount of times I mowed the property and then check when I would have mowed if it was up to me. I then give them a flat rate price, I divide the amount into 12 months and I get paid the same amount every month of the year. The next year I reevaluate and adjust the rate to that last years mowing. I still bill at the end of the month. But it eliminates the skip this week people. Most of my customers love this process.

howardsells2000
06-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Perhaps I am in the minority here, on a couple of fronts.
1. I make the decision to skip or to cut, and have had nobody complain about my choice for years.

2. I make the decision on cutting height. Again, I have nobody complain or discuss the topic in years. I change heights over the Spring, on into Summer, and then make changes again in early Fall, rounding down to a last cut in late Fall. On some properties, I mow at two, sometimes three different heights, depending on what is needed for the area being mowed. "One size fits all" is fine for Spandex, but not for keeping a lawn looking right, and maintaining it for the season.

3. I never make pricing changes if I skip a week. If the growth is that slow that I choose to skip one week, the time required for the two-week cycle is probably less than in early Spring for one-week cycles. The 30%, 100%, or XX% uptick is confusing and unnecessary, IMHO.

I work without any agreement or contract. I think the original post supports my suggestion that they don't mean much. When the customer comes out and asks you not to work, but the document says otherwise, you look pretty foolish in trying to enforce the terms of some piece of paper. It is only grass mowing.

I worked the same way. Once in a while someone would ask to skipped but usually when I pulled up I can tell if it needs to be cut.

topsites
06-10-2009, 12:02 AM
It ain't spring no more, keep cutting it weekly and you'll burn the crap out of some lawns.
So just skip it like the man asks, my answer goes "Sure thing, cheers!"

Lawn Pawn
06-10-2009, 12:21 AM
I have less than a dozen accounts of my own, but I do sub out to cut as well.

So many times.... I have cut nothing!!!! Just because it is the day of the week it is scheduled to cut..... I'm there just making dust and feel like a fool!!! But it's what I'm told to do!

My accounts NEVER have I cut unless required. I have a system that works for me.... maybe not for you.

Some of the bigger LCOs in this area... do things like.. never trim suckers sprouting from the trees at commercial office complexes??? One place not trimmed in two years, suckers are three feet long. Take out dead branches..... fill in muddy ruts..... the list can go on but you get the idea.

Point I am making is.... it looks like crap!! Why these things do not get done I have no idea, but I know what I see, and so do hundreds of other people every day. It may be they are told not to do any better, just be the lowest price??? Bottom line, it looks like the LCOs are slobs.

Is that how you want to come across when people see your truck at a work site? You are the boss right. You do not have to do work that you feel ashamed about. Need to sort out the sour accounts to maintain a certain degree of your dignity.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-10-2009, 12:33 AM
It ain't spring no more, keep cutting it weekly and you'll burn the crap out of some lawns.
So just skip it like the man asks, my answer goes "Sure thing, cheers!"

By the calendar, yes it is still spring, for almost two weeks yet. We have gotten ample rainfall (thank you God). We are in the latter stages of the seed-head pop. We have a little different weather pattern than where you are.

I just don't see how you can jump willy-nilly for customer's whims - yes it is their lawn, but you have to draw the line in the sand somewhere. Its spring, its raining, seed heads are out, grass is 5" tall, YES IT NEEDS CUT.

I think the majority on here are not keen on the whole 'well, lets skip this week' deal. I am going to contact my customer and reconcile this - offering him an every other week deal for $40 a cut (thanks for the idea, whoever posted it). I think it is better to reconcile early than have him come out of his house again sometime and tell me to skip.

dishboy
06-10-2009, 12:59 AM
First question I ask. Is this for WEEKLY mowing for the whole season. If it comes up later the answer is the same. I ONLY OFFER WEEKLY MOWING!. But I will mow any height they like as long if the irrigation supports that.

rmslawns
06-10-2009, 02:17 AM
I have several customers that requested bi weekly up front. I do not have a problem with it since they are in neighborhoods where I have weekly cuts. When it gets real hot...many yards become bi weekly. I have some bi weekly accounts that referred me to weekly accounts. I look at them at 10 days and cut if needed. If there is a bunch of rain..they call me and let me make the decision if it has grown quick. Treat them like a professional..word of mouth business comes from many things...especially a good attitude with customers.

mngrassguy
06-10-2009, 03:37 AM
You may want to look at it from the eyes of the potential customer across the street. He sees you cutting the lawn one week and thinks about hiring you. One week later, he sees the lawn across the street looks shabby and he decides to call someone more consistent.

It all depends on the image your trying to uphold. I would be embarrassed to park my rig in front of a bi-weekly or a lawn cut too short. Someone might see me.

kaferhaus
06-10-2009, 08:33 AM
we charge 50% more for a "skipped cut". Unless "we" skipped it. We won't cut grass that doesn't need it as to me that's "stealing". In all of our agreements it states that we decide if it gets skipped, not the customer.

However most of the lawns around here have so many weeds in them that even if the grass isn't tall the weeds are.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-10-2009, 09:02 AM
You may want to look at it from the eyes of the potential customer across the street. He sees you cutting the lawn one week and thinks about hiring you. One week later, he sees the lawn across the street looks shabby and he decides to call someone more consistent.

It all depends on the image your trying to uphold. I would be embarrassed to park my rig in front of a bi-weekly or a lawn cut too short. Someone might see me.

that same person also see someone "mowing" when there is no growth or rain.....and charging for it......then they call me because I won't do that....

LouisianaLawnboy
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM

If he is on a contract. Doesn't he pay at the end of the month. Charge anyways because you went there. Tell him even if you go=you charge. Doesn't matter if you cut or not.

I'm only advising this harsh treatment bcz you said you don't need this customer.

david shumaker
06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
that same person also see someone "mowing" when there is no growth or rain.....and charging for it......then they call me because I won't do that....

Good point!!!!!

WildLake
06-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I am all for not cutting during a drought when the grass is dormant. I just don't want to work for people who are trying to save a buck at my expense. In MD, I can't imagine there being many lawns that you could skip right now and not have to double cut next week. The dead of summer is one thing, we have skipped 3 straight cuts on some in the past, but that is my call.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-11-2009, 08:20 AM
I fixed this problem 2 years ago..... I stopped charging by the cut and now charge by the month. Not a year round contract mind you, but I simply charge by the month no matter how many cuts. A yard I would have charged 30$ a cut on now pays 120$ per month. If the customer asks me to skip one week, no problems it is still 120$ that month. If I choose to skip on my own due to drought or rained out, still 120$ that month. If I want to take a week off to have a vacation, still 120$ a month.

Of course some months like this one, some customers may end up with 5 cuts for the price of 4, due to the fifth week. Thats fine by me cause next month I might only be out 3 times, it all evens out in the end.

Amazingly though, once you put people on a monthly price, they rarely ask you to skip, and even more amazingly they don't seem to be bothered too much by me taking 2 week long vacations per year ( they usually ask if I had a good time, or tell me I deserved a break, etc.... )

Bottom line, get rid of per cut pricing!

Allens LawnCare
06-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Two issues I see, first being you can't charge extra because it takes you 10-15mins to change your cutting height, That's your machine so it's kinda your issue. Be like charging more because you use a 22" mower and not a 36 or 48inch WB .As for the cuts, if he signed a contract you can hold him to it. If your willing maybe he'd be willing to sign a new contract, different price and move it to 10-14days

Florida Gardener
06-11-2009, 10:10 AM
what rons rightway said is a great point. There are times in florida in the winter where you will let even an irrigated/fertilized lawn go every 3 weeks due to a lot of cold and no growth. Keep in mind, we had temps this year we havent seen in a decade, but that is the main point, it all evens out in the end. Sometimes in the summer, you wont do a yard for at least 2-3 weeks due to rain. This way though, you get paid by the month so your not really losing out on revenue. Yes, it will be a jungle, But it's kind of like cutting 1.5 times b/c it most likely won't take double the time.

I hate the per cut thing. But in some parts of the country, that seems to work best.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I do like the set monthly amount guys, thanks for the input. I may consider that for next season.

Update: I e-mail offered this customer a strict every-other-week cut for $40 a cut instead of his current $30 for weekly. He accepted without complaint. I am happy with this outcome, at least now I feel better about his rate - it simply cannot be as competitive as my customers with regular weekly service - they should get the best deal since they are paying me the most $ for the season.

mngrassguy
06-12-2009, 12:50 AM
I fixed this problem 2 years ago..... I stopped charging by the cut and now charge by the month. Not a year round contract mind you, but I simply charge by the month no matter how many cuts. A yard I would have charged 30$ a cut on now pays 120$ per month. If the customer asks me to skip one week, no problems it is still 120$ that month. If I choose to skip on my own due to drought or rained out, still 120$ that month. If I want to take a week off to have a vacation, still 120$ a month.

Of course some months like this one, some customers may end up with 5 cuts for the price of 4, due to the fifth week. Thats fine by me cause next month I might only be out 3 times, it all evens out in the end.

Amazingly though, once you put people on a monthly price, they rarely ask you to skip, and even more amazingly they don't seem to be bothered too much by me taking 2 week long vacations per year ( they usually ask if I had a good time, or tell me I deserved a break, etc.... )

Bottom line, get rid of per cut pricing!

Good advice. I started this program many years ago. The only thing I do different is if I only cut 20 times because it's too dry, I'll skip the last month's billing. Skipping a billing is my choice and is NOT in my agreement. What is in my agreement is I will charge per cut for any cuts over 24.

Also, I won't cut any lawns that are not on a good fert program.

kb9nvh
06-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Why not cut lawns that are NOT on a fert program?

corey4671
06-12-2009, 09:10 AM
My next door neighbor has started this crap this year. Granted I charge him next to nothing because we always help each other out on things and he lets me use his driveway to get in and out. SO he starts complaining I'm cutting it too short (yard is mostly weeds and clover). then three weeks ago tells me to let it grow a few more days because the clover looks better cut high. I told him it'll look like crap. Said he didn't care, they never go down to that part of the yard anyway. HUH?!?!? I know what he's doing is he's trying to save money, yet every Tuesday evening when they take the trash out, there's always at least four or five beer boxes. Just hacks me off. I haven't even THOUGHT about touching this yard for nearly a month now and ain't losing any sleep over it. If you have a written agreement, hold him to it! Otherwise he'll jerk you around and tell his buddies about it too!

supercuts
06-12-2009, 09:18 AM
ive only read a few posts and here is my imput. i simply tell people im more than happy to come back next week. my schedual is full and we dont do the 10/15 day thing, its in week increments only do their schedualled day. the one thing i point out is if they want us to come every other week we will not blow out clumps at all unless we are charging extra for it. simply express its now going to take longer to do the same job and you do need to be compensated for it

Lawn Pawn
06-12-2009, 10:29 AM
ive only read a few posts and here is my imput. i simply tell people im more than happy to come back next week. my schedual is full and we dont do the 10/15 day thing, its in week increments only do their schedualled day. the one thing i point out is if they want us to come every other week we will not blow out clumps at all unless we are charging extra for it. simply express its now going to take longer to do the same job and you do need to be compensated for it

Amen..... Honest, simple, to the point. Let them decide!