PDA

View Full Version : Arbel Pavers - Landing - Need Help...

JimLewis
06-09-2009, 06:49 PM
We are in the middle of a big hardscape project and part of the project is to install about 1000 sq. ft. of Arbel pavers. Included in the pavers is a big landing that will be a step for 2 sets of sliding glass doors. It will look similar to the step/landing in the photo below except much wider and maybe a little deeper too. But this time it will be made of the Arbel pavers by Belgard.

My problem is I am not sure how to build a landing with those. It's difficult to make a straight edge with those pavers. I'd like to surround the edge of the landing in another paver and then install the arbels inside that outer course. But I am not sure how that would look.

Has anyone here made a step/landing like this using the Arbel pavers? And would you mind sharing a photo? Just brainstorming. Thanks!

http://www.lewislandscape.com/photos/gallery/albums/Paver-Patio-Portland/SosinskiH.jpg

shovelracer
06-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I was recently wondering the same thing. My thoughts were that you would need to make it large enough to show a coupe pieces deep or else it would look like a bunch of wavy lines. My thoughts were also that you must use another style paver for the border. The few walks I have seen that looked best used a large (6x9) paver for the border.

BrandonV
06-09-2009, 07:24 PM
hey jim they do a good job, but are harder to cut... remember that when you're pricing it. You also need to remember they're 90mm thick so your solider course needs to match. here's a little area we did as a demo

Rex Mann
06-09-2009, 09:33 PM
We use the 12X12 Urbana paver as the border on most of the Mega Arbel jobs we have done. we have some without a border.

MA is an 80 MM product, so I would use an 80 MM product for the border.

Lot more work putting them flush against the house. High waste and handling them 3 times.

Peace,

Rex

RexMann.Com

Follow us on Twitter @PaversInstalled

neighborguy
06-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I have never worked with the arbel pavers but just thinking about the question. Would it be worthwhile to lay the area out on another surface, mark and cut it to your finish dimensions, then place it into the area. It sounds like a lot of extra work and I realize there is a fair amount of room for error. Just a thought.