PDA

View Full Version : Aerator, New or Used?

HighGrass
06-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I am still in the decision phase of whether I even want to purchase or just rent again this year. But, if I make the decision to buy, have any of you had a good experience in buying a used aerator?

metro36
06-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Well I had a great experience buying a used aerator. i bought a used ryan with a 3 hp briggs and bluebird overseeder from ponyboy on here. I got both for $500 and then replaced the engine with a new honda on the aerator. The machine is an beast with the honda on it.

How often are you renting. Look at your rental costs and then look at how much a new one costs. It may not make you money the first year but after that you will make more money on aerations because you wont have to pay for a rental.

nnj18
06-09-2009, 08:38 PM
this year I did a TON of aerating jobs and would've just bought a new one if I'd of known it.....rent this year and see how many jobs you actually get and then next year if the work is there get a new one.

HighGrass
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
this year I did a TON of aerating jobs and would've just bought a new one if I'd of known it.....rent this year and see how many jobs you actually get and then next year if the work is there get a new one.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks guys.

cgaengineer
06-09-2009, 10:04 PM
I got a used Classen for $500, they should have paid me $500 to take it...that thing is PITA. Whatever you buy make sure its cam driven.

B.O.S.man
06-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I bought a used bluebird w/ the honda from home depot 5 years ago, still works fine.

naughty62
06-10-2009, 05:56 AM
We have a couple newer aerators.one 26 ,one 28 .but our old 19 inch cushman lawnaire 4 is well broken in and throws good plugs under most any soil condition .Its slower than a doped turtle but very trusty .A lot of people are not happy unless their yard is full of plugs laying on top of the ground .most of the newer and wider walk behinds dont have the P.S.I. to consistantly throw good plug under any soil condition . I am convince the only way to get a good one is buy locally where a guy can test it for a few days .