PDA

View Full Version : Another Craigslst "commando"

Mowbizz
06-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Close to my area but not where he will affect me...a crew with 9 guys..he's gonna have to have 300 accounts to break even. That's not a calculated statement mind you...just a wild guess at the volume he's going to need to make it.

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/1213816638.html

Whitey4
06-09-2009, 08:22 PM
A low baller that can't spell the word acre. I'd find out if he is licensed myself. He flaty stated he wants to put others out of business. Fine. Now, the gloves come off. He makes someone else a target, someone else should return the favor. Guys like this deserve to be ganged up on.

WildLake
06-09-2009, 08:26 PM
I think there were only 7 pieces of equipment there. What do the other 2 guys do?

Mowbizz
06-09-2009, 08:29 PM
A low baller that can't spell the word acre. I'd find out if he is licensed myself. He flaty stated he wants to put others out of business. Fine. Now, the gloves come off. He makes someone else a target, someone else should return the favor. Guys like this deserve to be ganged up on.

I don't understand how he can pay a crew of 9 on $20 an acre???
He has one commercial mower and a couple of 21's...unless there're multiple trailers set up (which I doubt)
I have a 2 acre property that takes me about 2 hours solo but that's mostly mowing time (lots of beds and in and outs)...the trim and blow only takes a few minutes once under control...and I get $120 weekly for this one.

Pastaboy62
06-09-2009, 08:29 PM
The other day I saw a 21" mower in the the back of a limo. It was crazy, I tried to snap a picture of it but I couldn't get it.

Dave_005
06-09-2009, 08:30 PM
at those prices they cant last half a season. once they pay for gas and expences then between 9 of them they are losing money and making .50 an hour or less. EVEN if they are NOT Legit take out for gas for the mowers and trucks they MIGHT make a buck an hour each

Mowbizz
06-09-2009, 08:38 PM
The other day I saw a 21" mower in the the back of a limo. It was crazy, I tried to snap a picture of it but I couldn't get it.

It's true...now you mention it I have seen some "fly by night" setups out there myself...a few man/woman (husband/wife?) teams too. Wasn't like this last season either...it's really prevalent this season...:dizzy:

nobagger
06-09-2009, 08:41 PM
When I first started things like this would fry me, now I've come to learn people like this dont last and the people who hire guys like this...I dont want. We are usually good for 2 or 3 late season accounts from the "fly by night" or laid off guys who finally figured out that 10,15 or 20 bucks isn't worth it because typically those same customer's still ***** if they are paying 10 bucks or 30 bucks.

FastMan
06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I think there were only 7 pieces of equipment there. What do the other 2 guys do?

Rob the house?

red12
06-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I seen a guy that does parking lot striping pulling a trailer of mowers today I gess everyone wants to do it.

Dave_005
06-09-2009, 08:52 PM
i dont even care about the fly by nighter's and lowballers anymore... they NEVER EVER last the season, once it gets 90 degrees and humid as hell they stop showing up and i pick up more customers.. once a customer stops doing thier own lawns and hires these fly by nighters they dont like to go back to mowing thier own yards anymore so once they stop showing up the rest of us pick up new customers.

dKoester
06-09-2009, 09:12 PM
:)The payroll taxes will eat him up. He's not legal. The 9 are most likely family. Or someone just posted this ad to mess with your head.

Coastline Lawn
06-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Guys,
The number is right on the trailer. Its backwards , but legible. This is gonna be fun. I knew I kept that calling card for a reason. I wonder how many wild goose chases 180 minutes will get him....

Mowbizz
06-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Guys,
The number is right on the trailer. Its backwards , but legible. This is gonna be fun. I knew I kept that calling card for a reason. I wonder how many wild goose chases 180 minutes will get him....

:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup: Great thought...

Mowbizz
06-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Guys,

wait a minute...that number is not backwards when I look at it...the word "landscaping" is frontwards too...looks like a strange number???

topsites
06-09-2009, 09:59 PM
That guy is going to get calls from people asking, seriously, "Can you do it for FREE!?" (and mean it).
But I stop and think about it, sound too good to be true, maybe it is.

Rob the house?

That's actually a real possibility, especially coming from Craigslist.
More and more the whole ad is starting to sound like a nigerian 419 scam, bad English with typos and all LOL

Hey, we work for free (so as to better allow us to relieve you of your wealth).

When I first started things like this would fry me, now I've come to learn people like this dont last and the people who hire guys like this...I dont want.

Ain't that the truth.
There's usually no shortage of them kind of customers either.

We are usually good for 2 or 3 late season accounts from the "fly by night" or laid off guys who finally figured out that 10,15 or 20 bucks isn't worth it because typically those same customer's still ***** if they are paying 10 bucks or 30 bucks.

I find them customers are still a waste of my time, unfortunately...
And sometimes I do get one or two, but as a rule, the folks who start asking me for yard work once it starts to get hot outside? :nono:

The best customers, in my book, always call BETWEEN the price shoppers (early birds) and the late bloomers.
That's not to say it's always like that, but as a general rule.

lawncuttinfoo
06-09-2009, 10:27 PM
He want's payment up front.

Answers everything.

LBLC_LCO
06-09-2009, 10:44 PM
0418 294....?? Can't tell what the last 3 are, but sure doesn't look like a phone number, at least not an American one.

Mowbizz
06-09-2009, 10:47 PM
0418 294....?? Can't tell what the last 3 are, but sure doesn't look like a phone number, at least not an American one.

Smelling like a scam now...;)

Coastline Lawn
06-09-2009, 10:53 PM

I was thinking it was a reflection picture and the number was backwards. But the other guy has a good point, the landscaping word is not backwards, so there went my theory. He probably found the picture online and used it. He probably works alone with a 21" Yardman and an electric blower. You can also see above landscaping on the trailer, where the name has been hidden. Either way, he'll never make it anyway.

4.3mudder
06-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Uh, add was flagged. Thank you for using craigslist.

LBLC_LCO
06-09-2009, 11:05 PM
I was thinking it was a reflection picture and the number was backwards. But the other guy has a good point, the landscaping word is not backwards, so there went my theory. He probably found the picture online and used it. He probably works alone with a 21" Yardman and an electric blower. You can also see above landscaping on the trailer, where the name has been hidden. Either way, he'll never make it anyway.

I was just trying to do a search on the phone number. Oh well. I'm sure he is nothing to worry about for anyone in the area. He'll be done by August I'm sure, the heat always gets rid of the hacks.