PDA

View Full Version : Interesting question......

Steiner
06-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Had a customer ask me an interesting question which I thought might add some insight for contractors in this industry:

I was called to give an estimate and I did, and the customer said they got a few quotes and a proposal. The customer and I were talking and she asked me, "What is the difference between a quote, estimate, and a proposal." I guess I had never thought about it before. Can they be use as synonyms?

In my company I use the following:

Estimate- A close/rough approximation of the final cost.

Quote- Same as an estimate but gives less room for error, Spells out more specifically what is included and what is not.

Proposal- Most specific, outlines all variables.

What do you guys use for terminology? Is one more lawfully correct or afford the contractor less exposure for damages? Do states force us to use a certain wording?

-cs

nobagger
06-09-2009, 10:51 PM
To me, an estimate is exactly what you said. A proposal and quote to me have the same meaning.

HOOLIE
06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Had a customer ask me an interesting question which I thought might add some insight for contractors in this industry:

I was called to give an estimate and I did, and the customer said they got a few quotes and a proposal. The customer and I were talking and she asked me, "What is the difference between a quote, estimate, and a proposal." I guess I had never thought about it before. Can they be use as synonyms?

In my company I use the following:

Estimate- A close/rough approximation of the final cost.

Quote- Same as an estimate but gives less room for error, Spells out more specifically what is included and what is not.

Proposal- Most specific, outlines all variables.

What do you guys use for terminology? Is one more lawfully correct or afford the contractor less exposure for damages? Do states force us to use a certain wording?

-cs

Most customers seem to use them all interchangeably. Whenever I give a true estimate, I give a range of prices so they realize the price is not set in stone.

Fvstringpicker
06-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Rather than concern over what its called, be concerned over an offer and acceptance. Once an offer is accepted, its a contract.