PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in designing my landscape for me? will pay!

bigboar
06-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi all,
I am getting ready to landscape the front of my house and am wondering if anyone would be interested in designing it for me. I will pay.

CALandscapes
06-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Do you have a site plan?

White Gardens
06-10-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm interested, but I'm sure there is plenty of people on here who are.

AGLA
06-10-2009, 06:57 AM
I will urge you to hire someone within your community for several reasons.

That person will be familiar with local conditions as they relate to plants, pests, soils, and availability. (S)He should also know local norms as to what fits your area in terms of style or other design context. Some areas are less affected by regulation than others, so understanding local rules can be an issue or not. Understanding local weather and climate affects hardscapes as well as plants.

As a contractor, it also gives you a chance to build a relationship with a designer that surely will become familiar with your abilities after doing this project together. That can open business opportunities for you.

It is possible to do a good design at a distance, but it is much easier to become intimately familiar with your site by being there, walking it, seeing the views (good and bad), and just plain experiencing the site.

Most important to me when I do design work is to spend at least an hour or two with the client (you) in order to get information out of you. It goes beyond a shopping list of things you want. I facilitate a discussion that tells me what type of person you are, what styles you like, how you will use your site, how much is too much and how much is too little, and all kinds of stuff that you might not even be aware of. A designer just can't do that through phone calls, emails, or other distant communication.

White Gardens
06-10-2009, 07:02 AM
I will urge you to hire someone within your community for several reasons.

That person will be familiar with local conditions as they relate to plants, pests, soils, and availability. (S)He should also know local norms as to what fits your area in terms of style or other design context. Some areas are less affected by regulation than others, so understanding local rules can be an issue or not. Understanding local weather and climate affects hardscapes as well as plants.

As a contractor, it also gives you a chance to build a relationship with a designer that surely will become familiar with your abilities after doing this project together. That can open business opportunities for you.

It is possible to do a good design at a distance, but it is much easier to become intimately familiar with your site by being there, walking it, seeing the views (good and bad), and just plain experiencing the site.

Most important to me when I do design work is to spend at least an hour or two with the client (you) in order to get information out of you. It goes beyond a shopping list of things you want. I facilitate a discussion that tells me what type of person you are, what styles you like, how you will use your site, how much is too much and how much is too little, and all kinds of stuff that you might not even be aware of. A designer just can't do that through phone calls, emails, or other distant communication.

Excellent points AGLA.

I think you're right thinking local. Not only will you potentially get great results, but you also are helping somebody local make some money, and you might as well try to support the local economy.

bigboar
06-10-2009, 11:46 PM
ok, thanks all.. i will look around locally

White Gardens
06-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Search around, if you don't find anyone, just come back here and somebody will help.

jlouki01
07-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Where at in Ohio are you? If you can send me some measurements I can get you in the right direction.