PDA

View Full Version : How often to replace fuel filters on diesels?

meets1
06-09-2009, 10:46 PM
How often should this be done? every oil change, 10K miles, what the computer says for %??

TXNSLighting
06-09-2009, 11:32 PM
15k miles is the recommended. i go by the comp on the duramax. Its all very accurate, so ill go by that. Its been about 22k since ive changed the fuel filter and its just now saying change fuel filter.

Gravel Rat
06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
All depends on your fuel quality. If you are buying poorer quality fuel change the filters before manufacturers specs. Filters are cheap replacing injectors and pumps are not.

WH401
06-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Every truck is different and the fuel quality will change the intervals as well. For example, on my Dodge Cummins it's recommended to change it every 15k miles, but I usually change every oil change, which is about every 7.5k miles. The Mopar replacement filter is a 10 micron, and Fleetguard has a 7 micron, but I use the Baldwin 5 micron, it's the best rated filter that will fit in the stock fuel filter canister.

meets1
06-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Alright. I am about at the 15K range on the dmax so I think I will go ahead with it.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I change it every other oil change....so 14K miles

Gravel Rat
06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
One thing to keep in mind these newer trucks need perfectly clean fuel not like the days when you had mechanical injection. Low fuel pressure really affects the new electronic injectors.

As a older truck ages you end up with condensation in the fuel tank. Water promotes growth in the fuel. Things build up so when a manufacturer says 15,000 miles that is with a new truck and a un-contaminated fuel system.

I have never seen where the fuel filter is on a duramax but the Ford 6.0s are not too bad if you have done them a few times.

TXNSLighting
06-10-2009, 09:06 PM
All depends on your fuel quality. If you are buying poorer quality fuel change the filters before manufacturers specs. Filters are cheap replacing injectors and pumps are not.

Not on a stupid Duramax!! Theyre $50! and a pain in the ass to change.

Gravel Rat
06-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Here at the Ford dealer the fuel filters for a 6.0 are more than that. I buy my filters from the USA its cheaper.

I only glanced at a Duramax but never had a good look. The canister filter on the frame rail on the Ford is a diesel bath. After the 3rd filter change I can do it without a mess. The first time what a mess.

Why these vehical manufacturers couldn't mount a pair of small racors on the frame in the horizontal position with the two filters hanging downwards.

meets1
06-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Yes, the dmax took some time. Here is the complete story in regards to the fuel filter. Changed once early on with 5K miles - same when I changed oil. Anyways, going for a trip out of town - about 3 hours away with the family and pulling an enclosed trailer.

Full tank b/f we left. Hour out of town, saturday afternoon, first hill, crusie set at 65 and lost power. The trip area starting blinking reduction in power. I was down to 25. Pulled off, shut down truck, looked things over, 5 minutes left the road, started to shift and I thought things were good - until the next hill.

Called a Gm mechanic friend - no answer - called dad - what to do. Mechanic friend calls - fuel filter or pump. So there we sit for an two hours - then they show - an hour to take apart and put back on - not an easy place to work on - took about 5-10 mintues to prime system and off we were.

Whole time my computer on truck showed 60% life on fuel filter - they think something from the station was bad and made it to the filter and bamm - lost power and fuel.

So new truck or not - lesson learned with fuel filters!

Glenn Lawn Care
06-11-2009, 01:55 PM
every 15,000 miles

2Brosmow
06-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I change mine every other oil change - so every 15,000 miles. Anybody with a cummins - check out gino's garage (just google it). Great pricing. I usually buy 2 fleetguard oil filters and one fleetguard fuel filter. A lot cheaper than the auto parts store and a lot better filter - even comes recommended by cummins

Scott

nosparkplugs
06-14-2009, 12:17 PM
I use Wix fuel filters, change every 10,000 miles or as it gets dirty upon visual inspections, stratapore filters are approved buy Cummmins I would avoid a cellulose filter media for a diesel that is All autozone filters, the cellulose breaks down, and can clogg oil passages & piston cooling nozzels.
Posted via Mobile Device

fool32696
06-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I pay about $27 for a Napa filter for my 02 Dmax. If it wasn't such a pain to change, I'd do it more often.

lawn king
06-16-2009, 08:06 PM
I do my duramax every 10000 miles. Yes its an expensive filter (oem) but down time is more expensive. Down time on winter snow operations is devistating, as those dollars are unrecoverable!