PDA

View Full Version : now that the season is underway????

1st class grass
06-10-2009, 12:23 AM
What was your advertising percentages for your flyers/door hangers? Was it the typical 1% or did the economy change anything for you?

JohnnyCuts
06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
No noticable difference than last year. Right at 1% response, maybe a little higher on 2.5k flyers

JDUtah
06-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Very poor response here. But that included advertising a new business model that IMO is ahead of the game. It was tweaked a bit and got better.

Kelly's Landscaping
06-12-2009, 10:16 PM
We normally do some sort of direct marketing post cards or letters but with obama “running things” we didn’t want to take chances so we did a mix of papers and publications. Now we fired about 10 accounts for last season and we had the usual 25 or so lost to attrition. So last season we finished with 173 atm I think were at 181 but what I cannot seem to figure out is the true number of referrals we have way more then normal. Its almost like our clients see our ads in the paper when normally they wouldn’t even know we were advertising and say hey so and so needs a lawn service. So of the 43 new accounts this season perhaps as many as 25 are in fact referrals in some way or another.

jsw2008
06-12-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't do flyers, but my newspaper ads worked great this year, so much that I had to stop running them because my schedule is completely full. Between responses to the advertising and customers referrals/word of mouth I doubled my number of accounts this year.

S.I.
06-13-2009, 02:01 AM
I did no advertising, word of mouth and a conversation landed me with 20+ new properties since March. Consistently adding 1 or more a week the past 6 weeks, but the rain is keeping the irrigation work down.

EJD Lawnpride
06-13-2009, 07:21 AM
We normally do some sort of direct marketing post cards or letters but with obama “running things” we didn’t want to take chances so we did a mix of papers and publications. Now we fired about 10 accounts for last season and we had the usual 25 or so lost to attrition. So last season we finished with 173 atm I think were at 181 but what I cannot seem to figure out is the true number of referrals we have way more then normal. Its almost like our clients see our ads in the paper when normally they wouldn’t even know we were advertising and say hey so and so needs a lawn service. So of the 43 new accounts this season perhaps as many as 25 are in fact referrals in some way or another.

How many crews do you have? I have myself and 4 helpers that take care of 145 a week. Just bought another truck and was thinking either breaking up to two crews and mow more accts. or have one mowing crew and one landscape maint. crew. What and how would you do? I read your bio, it seems like you are headed in a even bigger direction. Thanks

Kelly's Landscaping
06-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Well there's my partner and me and our 2 full timers the 4 of us work in 2 man crews and merge on big jobs. I do have a part timer as well but were talking 10 hours a week or so he does landscaping projects and some estimates.

My partner mows 4 days a week plus Saturday and Sunday if weather is bad and my crew mows 3 days a week plus the same over flow days. My partner does fert and spraying with his guy on Mondays and I do landscaping on Monday and Tuesday. The 4 of us have over 5 k a week in mowing 1-1.5 k in fert work and what ever we can do in landscaping typically 1.5-2.5k per week.

Now next season we do wish to expand to 3 crews letting my partners guy run his own but as you know that’s easier said then done. You need to line up the work fine more quality employees and you need another truck and trailer and equipment. That said he’s ready so we are going to try.