PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Choose between 31 HP Kohler Aegis and 29 Hp Kawasaki

greenred
06-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Im looking at two different Scag Turf Tigers. One has a 31HP Kohler Aegis Liquid Cooled EFI engine while the other has a 29HP Kawasaki Liquid Cooled EFI engine. Are there any substantial things I should know about either engine? Opinions on which one is better?

greenred
06-10-2009, 07:26 PM
bumpity bump bump

tacoma200
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I have struggled with this myself. Kawasaki has a very good reputation but the 29 may be a little weak for some. The 31 Kohler is not as popular of an engine but the power specs are better and they stand behind this engine with a 3 year warranty the last time I checked. I have heard no negative comments on the 31 LC efi Kohler, they may use this engine in some Walkers, not for sure. It's almost a coin toss but right now the 31 looks pretty good with the 3 year warranty and the extra torque. The 29 Kawasaki is the 27 with fuel injection and it is a proven engine but there have been some problems with the DFI (not many). The largeest dealer in Lexington, Ky says the 29 is the biggest seller with very few problems. So I guess I'm not much help. I would probably go 31 Kohler if prices were equal. You really need the torque on a large frame ZTR and Kohlers usually have good fuel figures. Kawasaki has turned on in the vertical engine department but they don't compete power wise in the horizontal engines offered. I think the trend is going to be toward vertical engines (as in the Lazers) so that's why Kawasaki isn't offering many new models on the horizontal field.

Kawasaki is my first choice in engines but they never seem to find what I'm looking for as far as power and price. I mean they practically gave the the 35 Briggs so I wasn't going to give $1,600 more for the Kawasaki. I would love to have a 30+ hp Kaw on a Tiger.

greenred
06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for again for your opinion Tacoma. Yeah its a hard call. I have had great luck with my Kawasaki engines, but not much experience with Kohler. I like the extra power of the 31HP Kohler and after demoing the Turf Tiger Im of the opinion it needs every bit of power you can get for it. But in the end I would rather go with a less powerful but more reliable engine. Im actually being offered a better price on the Turf Tiger with the more powerful Kohler then I am on the one with the Kawasaki. Its not a huge difference but it is substantial. On a funny note I was lost demoing the Turf Tiger with EFI cause I kept looking for the choke lol Im so used to there being one.

What kind of fuel economy should I expect? Both engines are rated on Scags site at 1.6 gallons a hour in more then moderate cutting conditions. Is this about right or should I expect more or less?

tacoma200
06-10-2009, 08:16 PM
1.6 would sound about right. Scag test these engines under a full load so you may get better
Posted via Mobile Device

greenred
06-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey tacoma one more question. What kind of blades do you find most effective on your Scag? It looks like they come with medium lift blades. So far out of all the blades I have tried on my current equipemt I had the best luck with the high lift notched blades on my Exmark that come standard on it- but that is a completely different deck.

tacoma200
06-10-2009, 09:24 PM
The high lifts give a crisper cut. I was using jthomas 3" high lifts which gave the crispest cut but on the last order the blades said made in France and the metal was not very good(bent back at the edge, cracked or chipped easily).Scag uses an alloy blade "marbine?"Which is a better,lighter metal, that wears better and is easier on the clutch so I have went back to oem. The medium bades that came on it are doing amazingly well this spring though.
Posted via Mobile Device

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-10-2009, 09:36 PM
go with the kohler!

tacoma200
06-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Check out Scags web site and see if kohler still offers the 3 year warranty. That would be a deal breaker especially with more power.
Posted via Mobile Device

greenred
06-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Check out Scags web site and see if kohler still offers the 3 year warranty. That would be a deal breaker especially with more power.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep they do, its one of the factors I talked to the Dealer about.

Im going to get a Stripper kit and OCDC for it after I buy it, but I have to look at price difference between the ones Scag offers and what I can get after market