PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Autocut C Easy Spool vs Shindaiwa Speed-Feed

Ford850
06-10-2009, 11:15 AM
How does the Stihl Autocut C Easy Spool trimmer head compare to the Shindaiwa Speed-Feed head? Has anyone used both to compare? I've used the standard Stihl Autocut tap head but was wondering about the easy spool design. I know the Speed Feed head gets rave reviews but I haven't heard any feedback on the Stihl design.

LouisianaLawnboy
06-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I use all Shindy SpeedFeeds. Never tried Stihl. I love the SpeedFeed though.

birdman0494
06-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I used the regular 25-2 and oh god let me tell you its a piece of **** compared to the speed feed head but when I get the time ill go to the dealer and get one they're like 30 bucks

kaferhaus
06-10-2009, 02:10 PM
You use 2 pieces of line instead of one with the speed feed. It's much faster than taking it apart and winding the spool, but not as fast as the speed feed. Shin no longer offers an adapter for Stihl trimmers. If someone else does I'd sure like to know the part number and who to call. I've got two speed feed heads sitting on the shelf that I cannot use....

Ford850
06-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Kaferhaus,
Take a look at the Shindaiwa web site, under the speed feed link. Once you open that page, the left side has a few more links. Open the Application Guide and the Bulletin links for parts descriptions and numbers. It looks like they made changes to their arbor size last year so you'll have to take that into consideration if your heads are the older design. Maybe not though, since you'll be replacing the bushing anyway. If you have a shindaiwa dealer they should be able to order them.

kaferhaus
06-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Kaferhaus,
Take a look at the Shindaiwa web site, under the speed feed link. Once you open that page, the left side has a few more links. Open the Application Guide and the Bulletin links for parts descriptions and numbers. It looks like they made changes to their arbor size last year so you'll have to take that into consideration if your heads are the older design. Maybe not though, since you'll be replacing the bushing anyway. If you have a shindaiwa dealer they should be able to order them.

The dealer "tried", Shin does not list a part that adapts the speed feed to a stihl. Echo's screw right on and the ones with the female in on the gearbox work. Problem is the Stihl has a male end on the gearbox so you need a female adaptor which Shin does not list.

I've been to the site and looked at the application guide. I don't own any Stihl homeowner trimmers so i don't know if they have a different gearbox setup.... but the dealer assured me that Shin does NOT offer a female to male adaptor that fits the Stihl commercial trimmers. They may have at one time but it's not even listed on Shin's dealer parts network.

Ford850
06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I found the Shindaiwa part number for the adaptor fit to fit Stihl. 28820-07430

http://www.shindaiwa.com/gua/es/_docs/ipls/other/Speed-Feed450.pdf
See page 6

kaferhaus
06-10-2009, 03:13 PM

Thank you! I'll call the Shin dealer right now.

BCNU
06-10-2009, 03:51 PM
With the design of the speed feed can you tell how much line you have left on it? Looking at the video it dosen't look like you can. I keep 3 or 4 spools loaded up and when one gets low I change it out instead of running out in the middle of a job and respool when i get home. If you could tell how much line is left on the speed feed head I would like to give one a try. Dose anyone know the part # for one to fit a echo srm 260s ?

Ford850
06-10-2009, 04:24 PM
With the design of the speed feed can you tell how much line you have left on it? Looking at the video it dosen't look like you can. I keep 3 or 4 spools loaded up and when one gets low I change it out instead of running out in the middle of a job and respool when i get home. If you could tell how much line is left on the speed feed head I would like to give one a try. Dose anyone know the part # for one to fit a echo srm 260s ?
They sell one labeled "universal" which comes with a variety of arbors and bushings to fit most popular brand trimmers. Part number 78890-21000.

WH401
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
After I bought my Stihl trimmer I immediately took the OEM Stihl head off, whichever one it was I can't remember, and went ahead and put the Speedfeed on it. IMO, nothing compares to the simplicity, user friendliness, and quickness in reloading of the Speedfeed.

Ford850
06-11-2009, 09:04 AM
After I bought my Stihl trimmer I immediately took the OEM Stihl head off, whichever one it was I can't remember, and went ahead and put the Speedfeed on it. IMO, nothing compares to the simplicity, user friendliness, and quickness in reloading of the Speedfeed.
This is why I'm asking, since most of what I hear is people changing the standard tap feed Stihl head for the Speedfeed like you did. I'd like to know if the Stihl Easy Spool is any better than the Speedfeed.
Thanks.

WH401
06-11-2009, 09:21 AM
This is why I'm asking, since most of what I hear is people changing the standard tap feed Stihl head for the Speedfeed like you did. I'd like to know if the Stihl Easy Spool is any better than the Speedfeed.
Thanks.

It might be just as simple, but the design definitely won't be as durable as the Speedfeed. There's almost no body what so ever to the Stihl Easy Spool head. Plus they come standard on all the homeowner trimmers, that right there says it all.

K/B
06-11-2009, 09:44 AM
The dealer "tried", Shin does not list a part that adapts the speed feed to a stihl. Echo's screw right on and the ones with the female in on the gearbox work. Problem is the Stihl has a male end on the gearbox so you need a female adaptor which Shin does not list.

I've been to the site and looked at the application guide. I don't own any Stihl homeowner trimmers so i don't know if they have a different gearbox setup.... but the dealer assured me that Shin does NOT offer a female to male adaptor that fits the Stihl commercial trimmers. They may have at one time but it's not even listed on Shin's dealer parts network.

Shindaiwa's universal models (both 375 and 450) include female adapters to fit any Stihl.

http://www.shindaiwa.com/gua/es/_docs/ipls/other/Speed-Feed450.pdf
See page 6

I'm pretty sure that will only fit the older Speed-Feed heads, before Shindaiwa changed to the smaller arbor last year.

They sell one labeled "universal" which comes with a variety of arbors and bushings to fit most popular brand trimmers. Part number 78890-21000.

Yep, that's the universal 450 head. It'll fit any Echo, Redmax, Stihl trimmer out there.

Ford850
06-11-2009, 09:54 AM
It might be just as simple, but the design definitely won't be as durable as the Speedfeed. There's almost no body what so ever to the Stihl Easy Spool head. Plus they come standard on all the homeowner trimmers, that right there says it all.
The Autocut-C Easy Spool does not come standard on the Stihls. The Autocut comes on most of them. Apparently few people are aware of Stihl's version of the Speedfeed, so maybe it's not worth it to try one.
Thanks.

TheHammer
06-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I saw the Speed-feed at Lowes , It was not made by Shindiawa it was made Oregon.
I saw it on a Troy built trimmer , it is exactly same as the Shindaiwa.
I have the Speedfeed head on my Stihl FS85 and it is the best head in the market , I got
it from my Stihl dealer. I have some Stihl blots that I don't need but if need them ?

BCNU
06-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Dose the speed feed come apart where you can check how much line you have left on the spool?

WH401
06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
The Autocut-C Easy Spool does not come standard on the Stihls. The Autocut comes on most of them. Apparently few people are aware of Stihl's version of the Speedfeed, so maybe it's not worth it to try one.
Thanks.

No, the "AUTOCUT C", aka the "Easy Spool", comes standard on 3 of the new higher end homeowner models. It's likely that Stihl has started putting the "C" on the other homeowner models in place of the regular "AUTOCUT". But like you said, the fact that no one has heard of it says a lot for it's reputation.

Ford850
06-11-2009, 03:02 PM
No, the "AUTOCUT C", aka the "Easy Spool", comes standard on 3 of the new higher end homeowner models. It's likely that Stihl has started putting the "C" on the other homeowner models in place of the regular "AUTOCUT". But like you said, the fact that no one has heard of it says a lot for it's reputation.
You're right. I didn't catch that you had said homeowner models in your previous post. I didn't look at those before. I just checked the Stihl site now and the homeowner models come standard with the autocut C just like you said. They list the standard autocut as an optional accessory for them too. Now the interesting part: They do not list the autocut C (Easy Spool) as an optional accessory for the pro models. That tells me all I need to know. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

kaferhaus
06-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Shindaiwa's universal models (both 375 and 450) include female adapters to fit any Stihl.

I'm pretty sure that will only fit the older Speed-Feed heads, before Shindaiwa changed to the smaller arbor last year.

Yep, that's the universal 450 head. It'll fit any Echo, Redmax, Stihl trimmer out there.

I have 2 of them, brand new in the package, they DO NOT come with female arbors for the Sthil pro trimmers.

Shin dealer had a case of them and none of them have ANY female adaptors, nor do the 375 models.

Lazer_Z
06-11-2009, 04:38 PM
kafer, try out what I told you, it'll work. The older speed feed heads needed an adapter, the newer heads don't, but they still won't screw directly on to the stihl shaft.

kaferhaus
06-11-2009, 04:44 PM
kafer, try out what I told you, it'll work. The older speed feed heads needed an adapter, the newer heads don't, but they still won't screw directly on to the stihl shaft.

I'm still waiting on the dealer to here back from Shin... that part number is indeed a "adaptor" but didn't say what the application is so the dealer didn't want to order it and it be wrong. These are "new heads" just purchased in the last 60days and this Shin dealer is fairly new so I doubt he ended up with "old style" heads.

I read your message about "grinding" something but have no mental picture of what you were talking about..... and you said you still need some sort of "spacer".... sounds like a pita to me..... LOL

Ford850
06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
If the heads you have are new, then see if you can exchange them for the Universal packaged units. The heads come in either Shin or Universal packaging. The Universal units come with the assortment of adaptors.

Lazer_Z
06-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Kafer, shoot me a pm with your e-mail, as soon as I get it I'll go and take pictures. I probably made it sound harder than it actually is. Trust me, I've got them installed and I'm itching to use them.

dwost
06-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I decided to order one of the speed feed's up due to all the positive press. Very slick design, mine should be here next week!

Creative1
10-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Can you use the .105 line with the Shin Speed-Feed? I have the Stihl version of the speed- feed and my workers won't use that trimmer b/c of it. They would rather use the old style trimmer heads. I didn't know I could get one of these for my Stihl. A friend told me about the Shindy head and loves it!

Funk'sTLC
10-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Yes you can use .105 with the Shindy head! and it will come apart so you can see how much line is left...

I bought a new Shindy trimmer and it came with the speed feed and after using it I quickly rushed to my local dealer and bought one for my Husky!

The Speed Feed will spoil you and you will never look back...

Funk

Turf Dawg
10-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Can you use the .105 line with the Shin Speed-Feed? I have the Stihl version of the speed- feed and my workers won't use that trimmer b/c of it. They would rather use the old style trimmer heads. I didn't know I could get one of these for my Stihl. A friend told me about the Shindy head and loves it!

Yes they are able to use 95 or 105 line, although the 105 is a little harder to thread. I do think I have heard that some of the 105 square line will not go through the middle.

BCNU
10-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Are there any places online to order the speed feed head? I have no local dealer who sells them. I would like to try a couple for my Echo trimmer.

Lazer_Z
10-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Are there any places online to order the speed feed head? I have no local dealer who sells them. I would like to try a couple for my Echo trimmer.BCNU, here ya go http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Shindaiwa/Shindaiwa-Speed-Feed-Trimmer-Head.asp

Creative1
10-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I do think I have heard that some of the 105 square line will not go through the middle.

That would be a problem for me b/c I have a big spool of the Stihl X-Line. Has anybody by chance used the 105 Stihl X-Line w/ the Shindy Speed-Feed head. If so, I am definitely sold!!:clapping:

pglover19
10-31-2009, 01:54 PM
BCNU, here ya go http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Shindaiwa/Shindaiwa-Speed-Feed-Trimmer-Head.asp

Lazer Z,

Is this the universal Speed-Feed that will fit the Stihl trimmer or would I need to purchase the Stihl adaptor kit?