PDA

View Full Version : Mowing Patterns and speed

Clemsonkurt
06-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I am mowing with a 36" walk behind. I feel like I am not much faster than with a 21" push mower. What have ya'll found to be the most efficient patterns to mow? The yards I am mowing are around 6000 to 9000 SF with a house on them and light landscaping beds around the houses. Do you think it is best to square up and mow as big a block as you can with the walk behind and then get the rest and odd shapes with weed eater, etc.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-10-2009, 10:45 AM
First off, if you're not faster (significantly), then you're definitely doing something wrong.

What mower are you running?

How much are you overlapping? (Huge time killer)

What do you feel is slowing down the 36?

I run 2 perimeter loops and then start striping.

There's no comparison to a decent 36 vs a 21. Even on as little as 1.5k, the 36 SHOULD be faster 90% of the time. Anything bigger than that and the time gap should widen.

STRINGALATION
06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
the way he worded it it sounds likke he has major overlap.
also what gear are you in because on my bunton 3 will wear a person out after a couple of long runs. and on a sulkie a 21" mower could not catch me.

unless the place is so small and the obstacles take up more time . i found when i first got my 36" that some yards are to small for it even though they dont look it. and a couple where tooo small for the sulkie. i could walk behind the big guy but to ride it made it a pain in the but.

Premier landscaping south
06-10-2009, 12:20 PM
I mow with a 36" Lesco.* It has a fixed deck so scalping can be an issue if not careful.* With that in mind I have to use my 21 more than I would like.* I start by trimming first and then using the 36" as much as possible.* I do the same exact thing as stated earlier, Make a couple of perimeter laps and start to stripe. I then come back with the 21" and finish up.* I do mix up my patterns time to time. Helps with wearing the same spot over and over creating a small but noticeable rut. Bermuda is cut short and you can pick up on that imperfection easier than fescue.

Later PLS

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I agree with whoop - you should be noticeable faster with the 36 WB. I, like him, also cut two perimeter loops then start striping UNLESS the grass is very long, in which case I cut bullseye style to keep throwing the grass out to the cut portion of the lawn.

One thing you want to avoid with the 36 unlike the 21 - try not to get into every nook and cranny with it. Use your trimmer for that - try to use reverse as little as possible and just keep moving forward with the machine. A lot of time is wasted dinking around trying to hit every little area, reversing, etc - believe me I am guilty of it.

THC
06-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Most of my yards are between 6-9,000 sq ft. The wide open yards the 36 is much faster but certain smallish yards I just use the 21. But my 36 is belt, it's not so easy to turn and strip if you got no room. When I first bought it I tried to do every yard with it but I was just wasting time and it was frustrating and on small yards the cut isn't as good as a 21.

Basically, I use the 36 in wide open yards only, there it does save time and even looks good.

ALC-GregH
06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
The fastest way to cut with it is to use it first, then finish with the trimmer. Once you know where to trim, it will get much faster. I currently use the same exact mower in a backyard that is full of different flower beds and stuff. I can hit everything with the trimmer and finish with the 36. On a side note, I swapped blades on my 22 personal pace today with a high lift blade and side discharged with it. It cut WAY better then it ever did. :)

IRRITECH
06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Put a velke on it . Walking behind a 36 on a 6-9K yard is a killer. Oh and that is whay a hydro is so much better, instant reverse, even on a velke.

STIHL GUY
06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
there shoulb be no comparison with a 36'' and 21''

Clemsonkurt
06-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the reply's. I do have a lot of overlap, which I intend to cut down as I get better. After reading the comments, it sounds like the best method is to cut a couple of perimeter passes and then start striping with 180 degree turns. I am also going to try not to be so careful to get the tight areas with the mower and just catch these with the trimmer. Thanks for the input!

Heintooga
06-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Theoretically speaking, turning 90's (concentric) would be faster than 180's (striping). But using push mowers I've found that 180's are more efficient for me.