PDA

View Full Version : dating your custmors

259 toro
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I have a problem i have started dating one of my customer do i ask for my money still ?????????????????????

nnj18
06-10-2009, 01:19 PM
:laugh: :laugh: is she married? :hammerhead:
Posted via Mobile Device

259 toro
06-10-2009, 01:20 PM
no she is not

Premier landscaping south
06-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I would say yes. If things get serious then maybe reconsider. I would beware if she coped an attitude if you still wanted to get paid. She should respect the fact that you are still trying to make a living and need to get paid to do it. It would show maturity on her part to respect an agreement.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Sure you should ask for the money, you are "servicing" her:laugh: I don't like mixing business and pleasure though. If the relationship should go bad then you would probably lose her as a client. Then again she may be your future wife! RUN!!!:laugh:

newtostone
06-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I don't think she will have a hard time with it. She will understand work is work and your relationship is not part of work. You may have met that way but be professional and there shouldnt be an issue. Now if you guys are shy of getting married play it a bit differently but I think you get the picture.

starry night
06-10-2009, 02:31 PM
One word--------barter.

Charles
06-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Been there and done that. You either keep dating her or lose a customer. Keep on charging her. All those trips to Burger King are expensive. Somebody has to pay for them:laugh:

mowisme
06-10-2009, 03:51 PM
me..I'd charge but at a discount. She'll more than make up the diff when you flip the bill or say most of them on your nights out..and rightly so. But then again I'm kind of old fashion. Been married 36 years..so still trying to adjust to the new era of the way things are now. Geno

IndyIN
06-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Take the current customer part out of the equation. If you started dating another woman, would you swing by and mow for free? If the relationship is anything at all, I would swing by and mow for free. To me, the same applies to your current situation.

If it's a casual thing, then no I would charge. Switch it around, if she was a hair dresser would you expect free hair cuts because you go out with her once a month? If she was your serious girlfriend?

xxl
06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Hey tell you what post a pic and if shes smoking hot and we all agree dont charge. Hahahahhah Just joking with you

Keep chargeing until you see where it gose becare they have a way of getting you to do alot for free. So make sure shes not using you frist and good luck

would some get me some popcorn

ericmcj31
06-10-2009, 06:26 PM
+1 to post the pic! :)

davis45
06-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Charge more! Dates ain't cheap...

WH401
06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
One word--------barter.

Hmm, that does get the wheels turning. :laugh:

lifetree
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
It's a never a good idea to date a customer ... it always ends up with a bad outcome !!

Littleriver1
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
You should cut it for free. If you split not much of a chance you would keep her as a customer any way. My real question is, If you told her she needs to get another person to cut her grass, would she still date you?

JDiepstra
06-10-2009, 07:50 PM
If you worked at a retail store would you give her her stuff for free? If you worked at a gas station would you give her free gas? I guess it is different since you do own the business but she started as a customer so she continues to be one until you get serious.

GreenAcresLandscaping
06-10-2009, 10:03 PM
I would still charge her because she was a customer first. If she was a gf than a customer it would be different. I have a customer who wants me to date her daughter, she my age (17) and smokin and we have talked a few times but its a $75 a week account and did $900 in mulch this spring there so its not worth the risk of loosing the account if things got bad.

CGlisson
06-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Depends on how serious the relationship is. Tell her you'll mow her lawn for free for the REST OF HER LIFE if she pays you until you get married.

Mowingman
06-10-2009, 10:36 PM
That is not always true. I dated one of my customers and we got married. Just celebrated our 11th anniversary this spring. Looking forward to many more years together.

It's a never a good idea to date a customer ... it always ends up with a bad outcome !!

fergman
06-10-2009, 11:13 PM

i totally agree. either way no matter what your either gonna depreciate your equipment and your wallet and in the end more then likely lose the client. just give up on maybe this and maybe that. your already in this mess so your screwed. sounds like all you can do now is just roll with the flow cuz the way most women are in my experience is if they dont have it there way then your soon gone..... good luck bud.

STIHL GUY
06-10-2009, 11:27 PM
give her a discount

puppypaws
06-10-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a problem i have started dating one of my customer do i ask for my money still ?????????????????????

That is very simple, it all boils down to what her companionship is worth to you. :confused:

Michael J. Donovan
06-11-2009, 12:05 AM
please keep the comments clean and appropriate :)

thanks

corey4671
06-11-2009, 12:14 AM
wait a minute....you mean to tell me you charge your sister to mow her grass?

ALC-GregH
06-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Depends on how serious the relationship is. Tell her you'll mow her lawn for free for the REST OF HER LIFE if she pays you until you get married.

good answer. :D

BadRancher
06-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Man, they edited all the good stuff. Oh well I understand
Posted via Mobile Device

ADLAWNCUTTERS
06-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Hey take the higher road and cut it for free.You will be better for it.If the relationship doesn't work out chances are you wont work for her anyway.You can always find new customers.This could be the mother of your children.Don't be a cheapskate.This women could change your life for the better.If not write it off as charity..

zman2307
06-11-2009, 03:02 AM
3 pages and no pix? Good grief, what's the deal?

Ben'sLawnCare
06-11-2009, 03:24 AM
I agree we would have to see a pic to make a def decision on this one

johnnybravo8802
06-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Pic? Of her lawn?:usflag:

chuckcintron
06-11-2009, 09:52 AM
There are two fundamental things at play in any relationship (business, love, whatever): Power and expectations. You need to make sure both parties are lined up on both points.

You both need to feel as though you have equal standing (power) in your relationship, and you both need to understand exactly how you expect either party to behave within the relationship.

When the balance of power is thrown off, or one party has a set of expectations that are not communicated or misunderstood -- that's when problems arise.

So, the short answer is instead of asking a bunch of us knuckle-draggers what we think you should have an open and honest conversation with your girl about what she expects. Personally, if I had a girlfriend who ran a lawn care business I would have no problem continuing to pay her, knowing that she's going to to do a top-notch job for me.

Again, personally, my opinion is that if/when the relationship becomes a marriage engagement then the payments should stop.

Keep in mind too that the instant you started dating her you put this account at risk because if you do break up you will probably not be mowing her lawn anymore.

Ben'sLawnCare
06-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Pic? Of her lawn?:usflag:

Yeah genius....a pic of her lawn. Your kidding right? ;)

nathannc
06-11-2009, 11:04 AM
This question should be handled with care. Doing something fairly major and non-traditional for someone your dating indicates a specific milestone in a relationship. If she is not ready, it might scare her off.

Actually, if she is the type of person that is reluctant to take something for free outside the traditional dating process early in a relationship then that can be a good thing. It is evidence that she doesn't have a profound sense of entitlement that many, if not most, women have today. This is the kind of person you should be looking for generally speaking. This kind of person might be a partner in life and not a millstone draining your bank account and your peace of mind.

In addition, giving something like free mowing also sets a bad precedent in general. I can sum it up by saying that you just can't treat a women too well too quickly or else you run the risk of lowering your value in her eyes. Such behavior smacks of desperation.

My advice is to spend the money you are charging her for mowing to go to a better restaurant or better yet some fun activity that you know she would like. However, you are the one closest to the situation. You know what your objectives for a relationship are. If you don't have a history of women taking advantage of you, then you are probably in the best position to judge what is best.

Dave in NC

Ben'sLawnCare
06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
This question should be handled with care. Doing something fairly major and non-traditional for someone your dating indicates a specific milestone in a relationship. If she is not ready, it might scare her off.

Actually, if she is the type of person that is reluctant to take something for free outside the traditional dating process early in a relationship then that can be a good thing. It is evidence that she doesn't have a profound sense of entitlement that many, if not most, women have today. This is the kind of person you should be looking for generally speaking. This kind of person might be a partner in life and not a millstone draining your bank account and your peace of mind.

In addition, giving something like free mowing also sets a bad precedent in general. I can sum it up by saying that you just can't treat a women too well too quickly or else you run the risk of lowering your value in her eyes. Such behavior smacks of desperation.

My advice is to spend the money you are charging her for mowing to go to a better restaurant or better yet some fun activity that you know she would like. However, you are the one closest to the situation. You know what your objectives for a relationship are. If you don't have a history of women taking advantage of you, then you are probably in the best position to judge what is best.

Dave in NC

wow! well put dr phil. haha no seriously though nice insight

thebeans
06-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Look at it this way. If she worked in a salon, would you pay her to give you a hair cut? If she were and accountant, would you pay her to help you with your taxes? If she were a personal chef, would you pay her half value every time she cooked a meal for the both of you? Etc.... I'd say don't charge her. If she offers, take a little gas money, maybe. If you are at all serious about her and you take money from her for mowing her yard, well...that's just weird.

nathannc
06-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Look at it this way. If she worked in a salon, would you pay her to give you a hair cut? If she were and accountant, would you pay her to help you with your taxes? If she were a personal chef, would you pay her half value every time she cooked a meal for the both of you? Etc.... I'd say don't charge her. If she offers, take a little gas money, maybe. If you are at all serious about her and you take money from her for mowing her yard, well...that's just weird.

Hi, beans. The answer to your questions as to whether I would pay her for her tax services or her giving me a hair cut is a resounding "Yes" unless the relationship is well beyond its infancy. But firstly, I would not intentionally be putting myself in a position to partake of any of the services you mentioned except for her cooking a meal for me. There is way too much room and opportunity for disagreements.

Let me try expanding one of your scenarios and let you try it on for size. You are dating a highly educated woman who has honed her skill as a tax accountant over several years. She has done an extensive review of your books and has made detailed recommendations regarding accounting procedures, pricing and cost reduction. Would you really go in with the expectation that you shouldn't have to pay for this service just because you have dated her a few times?

Unless we were engaged or married and actively planning our life together would I have that expectation. Even if she offered to do it for free, I would not want myself saddled with that obligation until I got to know the women a lot better.

johnnybravo8802
06-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah genius....a pic of her lawn. Your kidding right? ;)
Yea genius, I'm kidding!!!!! A huhuhu.........:rolleyes:

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey take the higher road and cut it for free.You will be better for it.If the relationship doesn't work out chances are you wont work for her anyway.You can always find new customers.This could be the mother of your children.Don't be a cheapskate.This women could change your life for the better.If not write it off as charity..

not only that but if she insists on paying you anyway that means she is a really good hearted girl not looking for handouts! plus you get to keep the money:cool2: