PDA

View Full Version : scag 52" vpro or exmark 52" turf tracer hp???ANY COMMENTS ?

leeslawncare
06-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Got to get a mower ..my exmark 1997 model turf tracer52". has finally gave up the ghost.I loved it great machine.give me some feedback on your experience with these machines.I'm leaning towards the exmark because of past experience but i can get the scag v-pro a lil cheaper....but cheaper isn't always better.or is it? how has a v-pro an who has the exmark with the bull horns?Mine had pistol grips so it will take some gettin use to either way.Thanks Lee

jdogg399
06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
never test out a v pro yet
but love my turf tracer 52 lays nices stripes
no matter whats its on demo and see what you like
ecs control i love east to get use to

Mike Blevins
06-10-2009, 07:13 PM
The Scag Pro-v didn't take off the way they had hoped it would. I know of one here locally and the guy has almost 60 hours on it and likes it. The Exmarks are on ALOT of trailer here. Even if you see a company that has another name brand sit down mower, their walk-behind will almost always be the Exmark hydro with the ECS system. The Exmarks are hard to beat in the Walk-behind market. Don't get me wrong if I was going to get a new walk-behind I would get the Scag but it wouldn't be the Pro-V it would be the SWZ or the SWZU hydros. I had a 36" Scag hydro walk-behind and loved it but I didn't use it enough to justify keeping it so I sold it. Wish I hadn't I sure could use it now on my new accounts. But my answer would be between the Exmark and the Pro-V I would get the Exmark.

ALC-GregH
06-10-2009, 07:23 PM
I tried using the Pro V in the parking lot at my dealer. It works OK but your not really connected with the mower. Your hold onto something that floats around and not to the actual mower frame. I can see hitting bumps on lawns and it jogging the controls as you bounce (if using a sulky) or the mower itself bouncing. I'm sure one handed you could get use to it but my point is, your holding onto something that is moving and not stationary on the mower. I honestly didn't like it but was ready to pull the trigger and buy it, had it ordered and everything but called them back the next day and pulled the plug instead.

leeslawncare
06-10-2009, 08:19 PM
thanks guys for your input.......I like my exmark...but don't know about that v-pro.i'am gonna price that scag SWZU hydro.I'am a pistol grip person(thats all i've had) but i'am sure those bull horn will work..Are they hard to run in bumpy spots?

delphied
06-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Have you thought about the Toro Grandstand?

leeslawncare
06-10-2009, 08:43 PM
The toro dealer is just to far for me to go to for parts service .Have heard good about it but I'm gonna rule it out. but i do thank you for your input.

mowerdude777
06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
If your old exmark lasted that long then they must be better then the scag

leeslawncare
06-10-2009, 09:16 PM
yes it did but...I'm a part timer(20 accounts)per yr . I have a 40hr job got this machine in 2001 from a full timer .Extreme pm an a lot of luck it has been a good one

FastMan
06-10-2009, 10:35 PM
I demo'd the V-Pro last week. That steering mechanism takes some getting used to. Didn't really care for it. Like Greg says, you feel totally disconnected from the unit. I used it on one of my worst hill jobs, and got it done, but never really felt like I had good control of the thing. Also, the handle bars have some type of operator presense sensor that has issues. So sensitive I couldn't wear gloves or it would shut down. Dealer says to me, "yeah, it does that sometimes". Just seems like trouble waiting to happen. I wouldn't buy it. Nice deck though.

Crazy Cutter
06-10-2009, 10:36 PM
I vote Exmark over the SCAG in a WB. I would also reccomend that you look at the regular Turf Tracer instead of the HP. I like the ultracut better than the Tri-Vantage deck in the HP and I think the HP is underpowered at only 19hp to run the 52" deck. The 20hp Kohler or even better yet the 23hp Kawi will power you (if you ride a sulky) and the machine through thicker and tougher conditions better all the while delivering a better cut.
Hope this helps

ericmcj31
06-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I don't use either, but it sounds like to me that exmark speaks for itself in that it has given you 12 years of service. I am sure it has had its breakdowns, but nonetheless; you break down a machine's cost over 10-12 years and it costs you like $500/year to operate this thing. Like I said, I run neither, but it sounds like Exmark has fulfilled its job, and you should return the favor with another purchase of the same brand. Just my $.02!

snapper
06-11-2009, 12:21 AM
what is wrong with the exmark? Might be better to fix it?

Later!! chris

Mike Blevins
06-11-2009, 02:54 PM
If your old exmark lasted that long then they must be better then the scag

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused

Cowdog
06-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I have ran Exmark TT, Bobcat, Toro, Scag swz, swzu and the
Scag Pro-V hydro walk behinds. In my opinion the Pro-V is the
best with the swzu coming in second. You cannot judge the Pro-V
on the dealers parking lot. I have the sulky made for the V
and you can run it all day without using the handle bar. I had
concerns that it would throw me off on zero turns when I brought
it home but this was not the case. After a few days use I can handle
steep hills as good as pistol grips will. The deck height adjust
takes the cake. There is a learning curve as there is with other
mowers but it was worth it to me. This machine responds to input
from the operator very well but rough ground has yet to affect my
Control of the mower. The people at scag know something about
building walk behinds and they proved it with the V.
Posted via Mobile Device

leeslawncare
06-11-2009, 07:24 PM
thanks for all the input....I demoed the scag today going to demo the exmaker tomorrow...the scag dealer is closer with impeccable service record from my friends that own them ..but I'm partial to exmark .don't get me wrong they are both equal to me as far as machines go but i just don't know about that steering on the scag .he did offer to throw in the bar adapter cause i'am tall an kinda feel hunkerd down on the scag.let you know tomar about the exmark demo ride.

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-11-2009, 09:40 PM
we have a 48" 17hp ProV and we absolutely love it. Once you get used to the controls, you can operate it without thinking. ya you dont have the ability to put your body weight on it like other pistol grips or ecs controls, but since everything is instantaneous on it, forward, reverse, left and right. The unit is operated like a ztr. Like i said alot of people are turned off during the demo b/c they arent used to the new style controls, but with 70hrs on ours, i can run it more efficiently than our ztr on alot of our properties, and it does 8mph.

leeslawncare
06-11-2009, 10:15 PM
hmmm..thanks for that input pro touch..

leeslawncare
06-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Well I pulled thr trigger an got the exmark tt 52" 23 kaw with ele start......they are running a 0&36mts 500.00 rebate.....got it done it thanks for the reply's....