PDA

View Full Version : tell me what you think

M&S landscaping
06-10-2009, 10:22 PM
hey guys. brand new to this site. i just finished this job start to finish. i did everything (minus the retaining wall in front yard). i know the walk looks dirty. they had not turned the water on at the time. took 340yds of loam at
6" (give or take).

soopa
06-10-2009, 10:30 PM
what's with the skinny row of cuts going through the center of the walk?

dirt work looks top notch, is that topsoil on top of loam?

M&S landscaping
06-11-2009, 07:17 AM
yeah im not to happy with the skinny pavers, but the customer had me use his old pavers from a previous walk and those where all i had to work with unfortunately. haha. it is topsoil on the loam.

kootoomootoo
06-11-2009, 11:16 PM
or you could have put your edging down AFTER you laid.

Blame the customer for that too.

DVS Hardscaper
06-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I presume it's the customer's fault that I see no evidence of geo-textile fabric used?

Shane472
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
I presume it's the customer's fault that I see no evidence of geo-textile fabric used?

Do some installers seriously use geo-textile on small walkways? I've only ever used it on driveways or large patios.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Use it everywhere period! It's cheap insurance and show's your a professional.

DVS Hardscaper
06-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Do some installers seriously use geo-textile on small walkways? I've only ever used it on driveways or large patios.

Abso-fah-king-lutely. It's a must have.

soopa
06-12-2009, 08:21 PM

Yep. It's a relatively cheap addition that makes all the difference.

Why would you use it on a patio and not a walkway? Walkway's receive greater repeated loads over smaller areas.

Shane472
06-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Yep. It's a relatively cheap addition that makes all the difference.

Why would you use it on a patio and not a walkway? Walkway's receive greater repeated loads over smaller areas.

I've just never thought of using it on such a small job, but I get what you're saying. I've used it on patios just because of the traffic coming in and out of the house.

CertPro
06-13-2009, 01:07 PM
You better tell your customer that he has no idea how to pitch a walkway properly

Kizzelwhix
06-13-2009, 04:41 PM
the wall looks awesome

ParkviewNursery
06-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Wall looks good, try to incorporate some bigger stuff to break it up more. You will like the final product.

bornawoodsman
06-16-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm a landscaping student, and when we were taught to put in patio/walkway/driveway pavers they never mentioned geotextile fabric. I assume it's put directly under the pavers?

soopa
06-16-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm a landscaping student, and when we were taught to put in patio/walkway/driveway pavers they never mentioned geotextile fabric. I assume it's put directly under the pavers?

Absolutely not. If you were to put fabric under your pavers you would not have any sand interlocking them.

Fabric goes, primarily, between your base and subgrade. It can stablize the soil but most importantly it prevents infiltration of soil/silt into your base or vice versa.

In some cases it's used between the base and bedding sand as well, for the same purpose as above.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-17-2009, 12:04 AM

What are you paying those idiots to "teach" you how to landscape?????? :hammerhead:
Hell, you can pay me and I'll put you out in the field so you can not only see how it's done, but you can learn with your own two hands and feel what it's like to love what you do. :weightlifter:

bornawoodsman
06-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks Soopa

bigslick7878
06-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Looks good,but I will never know why people use such large pavers for the edging.

There are much smaller pavers that you should use for the edges,not full size like that.

Other than that I don't see any problems.

Might want to lay the edging out after you do the walk next time,much easier.