PDA

View Full Version : Do hedge clippers go 'dull?'

ericmcj31
06-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Yesterday we were trimming some shrubs and my main amigo told me that the hedge clippers seemed to need sharpening. He said the big leafed stuff it cut fine, but the smaller-leafed stuff (smaller hollies-yaupons, helleris, etc.) it seemed to tear the leaf as opposed to actually clipping it. We don't use these much, and I'd have to pull a receipt, but I'd bet that they're about a year old (I keep pretty new stuff). FWIW they are the stihl clippers mounted on a FX90 engine. They are the ones with the articulating head. I guess my question is can I sharpen these? if so, how?? if not, what can I do to get a better cut??? I really don't want to buy a new head, but if that's what I gotta do, then I guess that's what I gotta do....LMK-and thanks!

4.3mudder
06-10-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a pair of HS45 and HS72. The 72 I got from a guy. They would not cut worth a crap. I literally took the 2 blades off and sharpened each cutter front and back, cuts like a hot knife through butter. I have that problem now with my 45, I can tell they are getting dull. I won't take them apart though. I used a 4 inch angle grinder with a cutting wheel on it 1/8 inch so I could get into the area better. Thanks for mentioning it, I think I'm going to do that tomorrow.

ericmcj31
06-10-2009, 09:57 PM
cool-so I guess you CAN sharpen them---I'll do that pretty soon, then

4.3mudder
06-10-2009, 10:02 PM

it's failry simple, you just have to get the angle as close as you can, it is jsut very time consuming.

nnj18
06-10-2009, 10:10 PM
anything with a blade gets dull and yes they can be sharpened but like said above its time consuming...ohh and if you mess up you will know....

SILVERSTREAK INC
06-10-2009, 10:17 PM
its easy, have the clippers in the closed position and then use a small angle grinder to go over the edges, takes 5 mins

another way to go is using a dremel tool but that takes much longer

STIHL GUY
06-10-2009, 10:22 PM
i guess ill try sharpening mine when they need it. its pretty expensive to have them sharpened at the dealer

Turf Dawg
06-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Like everyone has said they can get dull and they can also get loose where the gap is too big between the blades.
I would also like to add that if you do alot of small leafed dense shrubs like yaupon and boxwoods ect. then the hedge clippers with the small teeth like the redmax short shaft and kawasaki are great for these types. The teeth are about a 1/3 as wide so they fit in the dense shrubs way better.

FYS777
06-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I take the blades off my echo trimmer, that way I can check the gear box and clean and put new grease in it, but sharpening the blades only about 10 minutes, 4 inch grinder, i use mine a lot so i sharpen mine three times a year at list,

dishboy
06-10-2009, 11:37 PM
If you wet your shrubs down the water will keep your shears clean and extend your sharpen jobs by mega hours. Just soak them with WD 40 wipe them down and spray again while running and put them up that way. Same thing with your hand shears. I knew a guy who does all hand work and he keeps a bucket of water and dips his sanviks in that.

turfbuilder
06-11-2009, 12:59 AM
I keep a extra set of blades. That way when they get dull I change them then sharpen the other set. I use a right angle grinder with a 1/2 pad. :weightlifter:

Richard Martin
06-11-2009, 03:53 AM
I have mine sharpened. I paid $20 for mine along with a chainsaw chain. Some things I rather leave to an expert.

kaferhaus
06-11-2009, 06:52 AM
I have mine sharpened. I paid $20 for mine along with a chainsaw chain. Some things I rather leave to an expert.

We sharpen everything we own (including saw chains) except hedge clippers... There's a sharpening service here in town that charges 10 bucks to sharpen them and he "shaped" a stone to fit the Stihl blades so the grind is perfect everytime.

Probably doesn't take him 5 minutes to sharpen a set and for the end result we get I'd pay doulbe that as they last a long time before needing it again.

Sometimes it's just better to pay someone to do it that knows what they're doing.

Triplex
06-11-2009, 08:01 PM
A lot of mom & pop hardware stores will sharpen hedge trimmers and other tools.

billslawn89
06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
i use to take my hedge trimmer blades to a mower shop to have them sharpened, but i do mine now, as well with a angle grinder. very easy! also, like mentioned, i spray my blades with wd40 also, suppose to keep them cleaner. the guy at the mower shop told me about that. i have not mastered the sharpening of the chain saw yet so i still take those in, or buy a new chain.

flyboy
06-11-2009, 08:34 PM

We have a professional in my area that sharpens them. His price is reasonable and he makes them look and work like brand new. I would look in the yellow pages and see if there is a professional sharpener in your area. Call your dealer, he probably knows someone or maybe he does it:cool2:

Wizz
06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
And always use a lube on hedge trimmer blades, lube them before each use. Machine Oil is what is recommended by the blade manufacturers...gun lube oil in a spray can would work great (i.e. Rem Oil), WD40/penetrating oil will work as well.

FYS777
06-11-2009, 08:59 PM
And always use a lube on hedge trimmer blades, lube them before each use. Machine Oil is what is recommended by the blade manufacturers...gun lube oil in a spray can would work great (i.e. Rem Oil), WD40/penetrating oil will work as well.

?? do these oils effect the plants that you trim, or harm them being an oil base llube.???

IRRITECH
06-11-2009, 09:46 PM
?? do these oils effect the plants that you trim, or harm them being an oil base llube.???

Have never noticed a problem with the oil.

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Sharpened mine today, my HS45 and Extend clippers, took no more than 10 minutes each. Very simple, just have to get used to getting each angle correct.

93Chevy
06-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I just picked up an Echo HC 150. My dealer said they had self-sharpening blades. How does that work?

kaferhaus
06-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I just picked up an Echo HC 150. My dealer said they had self-sharpening blades. How does that work?

You should have asked him. He likely has some other twilight zone stories for you. I have no idea where he got that juicy bit of info.

IRRITECH
06-11-2009, 10:07 PM

take them back and deal with someone who won't flat out lie to you.

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 10:08 PM

Wow, greta add on to the sell the product. I highly doubt they have those.

mississippiturf
06-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Yea, I have a self-sharpening chain saw too. Right!!! I spray my trimmers with fluid film before each use and they seem to stay sharper longer.

FYS777
06-11-2009, 10:13 PM

man I heard some thing in the garage, went down and looked, low and behold, that darn hc 150 was still laying there, didn't see no arms or legs on that there thing, just setting there still dull:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

93Chevy
06-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Hmm.......

jsw2008
06-11-2009, 10:17 PM

I have an HC 150. They definitely don't sharpen themselves. Mine are about a year old and I use them several times a week. Just finished a big trimming job and they now are dull as hell. It didn't help any that I found an old barb wire fence the hard way with the blades. My dealer will sharpen and adjust the blades so there's no gap for $20. Well worth it IMO just for the time it saves me.

SILVERSTREAK INC
06-11-2009, 10:19 PM
youre supposed to use horticultural oil to lube your trimmers, that way you wont notice burn spots in your plants ...esp, taxus which are touchy

pick up a gallon at lesco/JD landscapes, its less than 20 bucks, plus have your hort oil for all those other good things (pest control..etc)

FYS777
06-11-2009, 10:27 PM
youre supposed to use horticultural oil to lube your trimmers, that way you wont notice burn spots in your plants ...esp, taxus which are touchy

pick up a gallon at lesco/JD landscapes, its less than 20 bucks, plus have your hort oil for all those other good things (pest control..etc)

thanks do you have a site we might find that product, or name???

Wizz
06-11-2009, 10:38 PM

No problems ever at all...that's more of a myth. They sell special 'organic' oils but they are all more expensive and a waste of money to be honest. Even most owners manuals recommend 'machine oil'...the reason I said gun lube because most gun lubes have Teflon which also helps prevent gumming on the blades, but WD-40 works just as well if used each use. I do tons of hedges of all types never a single problem using oil that costs only $2 per spray can.

FYS777
06-11-2009, 10:41 PM
No problems ever at all...that's more of a myth. They sell special 'organic' oils but they are all more expensive and a waste of money to be honest. Even most owners manuals recommend 'machine oil'...the reason I said gun lube because most gun lubes have Teflon which also helps prevent gumming on the blades, but WD-40 works just as well if used each use. I do tons of hedges of all types never a single problem using oil that costs only $2 per spray can.

thanks any way to save a little helps, plus works well on the clippers.:)