PDA

View Full Version : What WB blower should i BUY?

kj330
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
I am going to be buying a WB leaf blower. ( i understand it is early). my local dealer sells Giant Vac and Billy goat. I think i am going to p/u the Billy 9 HP with the Subaru motor (999.00). that is what he is recomending to me, i dont know anyone persolaly who runs one of these machines.. The other is the 10 hp G Vac (extreme pro 9.0 tp) 1049.00.. this leaf seaon i am going to be prepared, i am a one man show, with some decent residentials. i just picked up a 17 hp g-vac loader for my dump. and all i need is to replace the old G-Vac 8 hp. my account range from 1/2 acre to 2 acres and typical amounts of leves for New England. WHAT IS THE BETTER MACHINE FOR ME???????????

ericmcj31
06-10-2009, 10:00 PM
the Billy Goat-they are a BEAST!!!

fergman
06-10-2009, 10:06 PM
I am going to be buying a WB leaf blower. ( i understand it is early). my local dealer sells Giant Vac and Billy goat. I think i am going to p/u the Billy 9 HP with the Subaru motor (999.00). that is what he is recomending to me, i dont know anyone persolaly who runs one of these machines.. The other is the 10 hp G Vac (extreme pro 9.0 tp) 1049.00.. this leaf seaon i am going to be prepared, i am a one man show, with some decent residentials. i just picked up a 17 hp g-vac loader for my dump. and all i need is to replace the old G-Vac 8 hp. my account range from 1/2 acre to 2 acres and typical amounts of leves for New England. WHAT IS THE BETTER MACHINE FOR ME???????????

from what i see 2 people can take 2 redmax 8001's and move more leaves than a 9hp walk-behind blower.
the 13hp billygoat force is what i have. i DEFINATELY wouldnt get anything less than the 13.
figure up the cost difference between having 2 people blowing and you pushing a blower by yourself and then you'll know if you need 1 or not. you might decide different???
get the force billygoat . once you use it with the adjustable discharge youll think that having 1 without it is totally useless,and in my opinion it is.

a leaf plow will push big piles of leaves when the 13hp force wont move them anymore so think about that too.

kj330
06-10-2009, 10:11 PM
so far some good opinions. i am lookinf for a used jrco leaf plow now also, i forgot to add that...

Mowbizz
06-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I own the 9 hp HONDA Billy Goat Force blower and I love it. I'm sure the 13 hp is a beast but I found the 9 horse the perfect combination of power and weight for me (solo also)
It has saved my ass on cleanups...pushing a monster pile of leaves uphill to the back woods...man I would have had to tarp and drag those...but I also finally, put my ztr to work dragging tarped leaves as well...saves a lot of footwork.
A jrco dethatcher and a leaf plow would be a great addition for the fall too...just need a bigger garage to store all this equipment in the off season...:dizzy:

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
06-11-2009, 09:29 AM
I can't agree any further with going with the Force unit. I could be considered biased though. If still in doubt though I STRONGLY recommend asking for a demo. Any questions about noise, weight, and most importantly performance will quickly be answered.

Here's a question for all of you. Would weight be a concern for you if the Force unit was self propelled?

bill w
06-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Here's a question for all of you. Would weight be a concern for you if the Force unit was self propelled?

Cost would then become a consideration.

fergman
06-11-2009, 12:18 PM
I can't agree any further with going with the Force unit. I could be considered biased though. If still in doubt though I STRONGLY recommend asking for a demo. Any questions about noise, weight, and most importantly performance will quickly be answered.

i wouldnt care if it weighed as much as a zero turn. long as i didnt turn it over. cost always pays out in the end if the performance is greatly improved.

lawnman7
06-11-2009, 12:40 PM
the fradan blowers are realy nice i own a 18hp wb for large proporties, or go with the 13 hp little wonder which i have also. both are great machines.
http://www.fradanpower.com

fradanpower.com

06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Cost would then become a consideration.

Commercial grade transmission, with a single forward speed, differential, no reverse, and free-wheeling. What premium would you pay for that with the assumption everything else about the Force would be the same?

06-11-2009, 04:15 PM
i wouldnt care if it weighed as much as a zero turn. long as i didnt turn it over. cost always pays out in the end if the performance is greatly improved.

Turn over? Are you referring to its center of gravity on hillsides? Like any product out there on a steep hillside machines can get tippy if put at the wrong angle. I can add between 40 to 50 lbs of scrap iron under the engine base and it'll be stable but people will complain about it being too heavy to push. I can widen the axle but people would complain about it taking too much space in the trailer. I could reduce the size of the housing to lower the engine but people would complain that it's not longer the World most powerful blower. Like a ZTR on a nasty hillside, if it gets tippy or difficult to control for you in certain applications change the angle of attack or use something else for that area.

Any idea in what premium you'd pay, if any, for a Self-Propelled Force?

bill w
06-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Commercial grade transmission, with a single forward speed, differential, no reverse, and free-wheeling. What premium would you pay for that with the assumption everything else about the Force would be the same?

I don't think single speed would be very practical. Speed has to be adjusted for the size of the pile, moisture content, wind speed, etc. and the throttle just about has to be full bore. Would an infinitely variable belt drive add that much more to the cost?

06-12-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't think single speed would be very practical. Speed has to be adjusted for the size of the pile, moisture content, wind speed, etc. and the throttle just about has to be full bore. Would an infinitely variable belt drive add that much more to the cost?

Sadly, on a $1,000 unit it would add at least $700. A 70% (at least) premium is a deal killer in my books. Would you pay that? One of the reasons no one has offered a reasonable Walk-behind SP blower is cost. We had a 16hp unit with a 5 speed forward and 1 reverse transmission. The premium for the SP was around a $1000 with a short distributor margin. They didn't sell well here and they did mediocre in Europe. Simply too expensive...

Bells and whistles: ie additional cables, multiple speeds, reverse, shifters, etc make costs increase exponentially. Few transmission manufacturers have a cost competitive offering that can handle a horizontal shaft engine. All the volume is in vertical shaft engines for 21" mowers so that's where they focus.

At first glance, on a $1,000 blower what's the maximum (if any) you would pay for it to be Self-Propelled as described?

Mowbizz
06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Here's a question for all of you. Would weight be a concern for you if the Force unit was self propelled?[/QUOTE]

No, tell me more...:drinkup:

bill w
06-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Sadly, on a $1,000 unit it would add at least $700. A 70% (at least) premium is a deal killer in my books. Would you pay that? One of the reasons no one has offered a reasonable Walk-behind SP blower is cost. We had a 16hp unit with a 5 speed forward and 1 reverse transmission. The premium for the SP was around a $1000 with a short distributor margin. They didn't sell well here and they did mediocre in Europe. Simply too expensive...

Bells and whistles: ie additional cables, multiple speeds, reverse, shifters, etc make costs increase exponentially. Few transmission manufacturers have a cost competitive offering that can handle a horizontal shaft engine. All the volume is in vertical shaft engines for 21" mowers so that's where they focus.

At first glance, on a $1,000 blower what's the maximum (if any) you would pay for it to be Self-Propelled as described?

I figured that was where this was going, but held out hope that you had something in mind. On the $1,000 blower I would forego the self propelled feature...

dlaros
06-12-2009, 06:22 PM
At work we have the 9 HP Billy goat with the suburu, all in all its a mean little machine. It will proberly be perfect for you.

a&j lawncare llc
06-13-2009, 06:38 AM
theres a guy on craigslist in ct under new haven dated6-12 has a jrco leaf plow for 300...i would jump on that..use a back pack and the plow...thats how my guy and i do 70 clean up come fall....allan

coolluv
06-13-2009, 07:31 AM

Not much, I think their overpriced the way it is. Equipment prices keep going up and service prices stay the same. This year they are going down with all the lowballers out there. Whats next year going to be like when everyone is used to all of the deflated service prices and the year after that. Its really easy to go in reverse but try getting those prices back up again, thats the hard part.

In the mean time mowers, blowers, trimmers and everything else goes up in price.

Dave...

06-15-2009, 09:15 AM
[No, tell me more...:drinkup:[/QUOTE]

There are some demo units rolling around in you neck of the woods for Fall bookings. Ask your dealer about them. If they haven't seen them they will shortly. Normally a dealer would love to have an end user there to see a demo to guage their interest and give them a feel of how the market may respond.

fergman
06-15-2009, 08:12 PM
actually one thing that is badly needed is some kind of flexible hose. maybe 9ft long or so. that would make what you already have 10 times more effective. theres been tons of times that i would have loved to had a hose to direct in2 flower beds,blow leaves off steep roofs, clean mulch and grass outta the trailer and other tasks. thats a DEFINATE thing to make bud. almost everybody would get 1

06-16-2009, 09:49 AM
actually one thing that is badly needed is some kind of flexible hose. maybe 9ft long or so. that would make what you already have 10 times more effective. theres been tons of times that i would have loved to had a hose to direct in2 flower beds,blow leaves off steep roofs, clean mulch and grass outta the trailer and other tasks. thats a DEFINATE thing to make bud. almost everybody would get 1

We are in the process of introducing a Force Blower Hose kit P/N 441166 to do exactly what you're asking for. It's 4" by 10' and only goes on the F6. Is this what you're interested in or are you wanting it for a different hp Force unit? If so which one?