PDA

View Full Version : Got some tough choices

lyube
06-11-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm getting out of college soon, and I've got some tough choices.

I work in the green industry in the summer when I'm out from college. I'm graduating in may.

I have a few options-throw me some of your hard-earned wisdom here.

I'm currently an Enlisted member in the reserves.

I can graduate in May, go to officer candidate school on a RESERVE contract, and go full time in the green industry.

Graduate in May, go Active duty officer-no problems with the economy, I'm going to be fine for atleast 5 years. And when I get out, I'll have a good job that doesn't involve the green industry.

Graduate in may, stay enlisted in the reserves, go green industry.

Got some tough choices, as you can see. It's been my dream to fly.

Az Gardener
06-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Graduate in May, go Active duty officer-no problems with the economy, I'm going to be fine for at least 5 years. And when I get out, I'll have a good job that doesn't involve the green industry.

Run as fast as you can from the green industry unless you just can't live without the smell of fresh cut grass.

Go fly and have the best lawn on your block.

lyube
06-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Run as fast as you can from the green industry unless you just can't live without the smell of fresh cut grass.

I am allergic to just about anything that grows.

bohiaa
06-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Welcome to life

AI Inc
06-11-2009, 08:34 AM

what he said

JDUtah
06-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Do what you love and chase your dreams. I would go fly if I were you.

I'm in the green industry because I LOVE it. Again do what you love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

lyube
06-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Do what you love and chase your dreams. I would go fly if I were you.

I'm in the green industry because I LOVE it. Again do what you love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

I love doing green industry stuff, I'm good at it, but there's also other stuff I love to do.

JDUtah
06-11-2009, 04:49 PM
I love doing green industry stuff, I'm good at it, but there's also other stuff I love to do.

ahh. Tough choice indeed.

I would say the next step is to evaluate how well you want (and can handle) a commitment to the hard life of small business. Consider your spouse and children as well. It can be tough but rewarding.

Two Seasons
06-11-2009, 07:21 PM
You'll never regret military training! It has served me well.

Fvstringpicker
06-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Go fly. The green industry will always be there. You can always do green industry. The other options may not be available.

procut
06-12-2009, 11:42 PM
I would probably not pick green industry. Just my two cents.

Chilehead
06-13-2009, 01:02 AM
If flying is your dream (as is mine), pursue it while you can. This will negate much future regret. The green industry will be here for you after you fulfill your dreams. For me, the green industry WAS and IS the dream for me- I thoroughly enjoy what I do very much. I will probably get my sport license from the FAA in the near future. Listen to Van Halen's song, "Dreams".

Dadto4
06-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Graduate in May, go Active duty officer-no problems with the economy, I'm going to be fine for atleast 5 years. And when I get out, I'll have a good job that doesn't involve the green industry.

You do have a tough choice.

I'm currently an active duty Marine and looking at the opposite problem. I've been in for about 24 years and am now looking at retiring and starting a business in lawn care.

Only you can decide what is right for you. Do you know for a "fact" that you will be able to fly if you go officer? You know that's what you "want" to do but will you honestly be able to? Do you want to travel and see parts of the world you may never have an opportunity to see again? I know, I'm starting to sound like a recruiter and believe me, that is NOT my intent. I've been able to see parts of the world that I will probably never be able to see again (Thailand, Philippines, Somalia(armpit of the world), etc..) and seen some pretty awesome things that I may never see again. But, I relish the memories and am ready to move on. It's an opportunity that you may never, ever have again. Lawns will always need to be mowed and people will always be looking for someone to mow their yard for them.

My advice, if you really want it: Go see the world........mow yards later and have a retirement income to supplement your lawn care business.