PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a dump trailer

pitrack
06-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Hey guys I am in the market for a dump trailer and was wondering what you guys thought about buying one on ebay? I don't like buying stuff online (I bought a snow plow online too and saved a bundle) but you can save quite a bit of money compared to places around here locally. I am looking at this trailer, looks nice what do you guys think? An equivelant trailer to that around here would be upper 6's for sure. It would cost me around $600 to have it shipped to me plus the price of the trailer obviously. Thanks for your thoughts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2009-DUMP-TRAILER-BEST-DEAL-ON-EBAY-4700_W0QQitemZ200348286296QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTrailers?hash=item2ea5b03d58&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

AdvancedLawns
06-11-2009, 03:04 PM
i would go look at it before you buy...Make sure they have enough clearence between the axle and the bottom of the bed...alot of dump trailers i looked at had issues with bottoming out...Good luck!

pitrack
06-11-2009, 04:19 PM
i would go look at it before you buy...Make sure they have enough clearence between the axle and the bottom of the bed...alot of dump trailers i looked at had issues with bottoming out...Good luck!

That's my problem it is pretty far away so I would be getting it shipped to me so I can't really look at if before I buy it.

AdvancedLawns
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
email him and ask for pics of the axles and where it bolts onto the frame and such...

another thing make sure he has brakes on both axles and at least 2 7000lb axles

BTW, what type of work are you using this for? What kind of truck will tow it?

Ramairfreak98ss
06-11-2009, 09:18 PM
email him and ask for pics of the axles and where it bolts onto the frame and such...

another thing make sure he has brakes on both axles and at least 2 7000lb axles

BTW, what type of work are you using this for? What kind of truck will tow it?

yeah looks pretty good, i got a "good" deal in nj/pa in 07 on mine, but was over 7k after tax! its a 14' 14k, no spare tire, no radial tires still. I bought new $600 radial firestone tires because the bias plys suck, they got so damn hot with a load it was unsafe, finally they wore out WAY fast and some split and blew out ;/ never again.

Make SURE you have at least a 1 ton truck or minimum say a F250 ford superduty and a diesel or else its going to feel like towing an anchor with anything gasoline powered lol. If your looking to haul dirt/stone/sand etc it fills up to the 14k faster than you think.

I only fill mine not evne half way with stone or sand and i know im over 14k already. Theyre normally 3800-4800lbs empty with the ramps and box in front and all.

wellbuilt
06-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Sounds like a good price . I have a trailer just like it , with out the tarp roller and with out the adjustable hitch.

pitrack
06-12-2009, 01:24 AM
I was looking at getting the 12k trailer instead of the 14k, would you guys suggest a 14k instead? I have a 2500 Cummins I will be pulling it with. Thanks for the replies.

Petr51488
06-12-2009, 11:38 AM
That's a really cheap price.... lets hope they didn't go cheap with the parts! I wouldnt want something half assed pulling 12k worth of stuff behind me and have something go wrong. I put down a deposit on a 7x14 14k axle bri-mar heavy duty dump and almost costs double that. Find out what kinda of pumps they use. THe monarch are suppose to be the best. Also check the brakes, hyrdro lines etc. Did you buy it allready? because the auction ended.

pitrack
06-12-2009, 05:31 PM
That's a really cheap price.... lets hope they didn't go cheap with the parts! I wouldnt want something half assed pulling 12k worth of stuff behind me and have something go wrong. I put down a deposit on a 7x14 14k axle bri-mar heavy duty dump and almost costs double that. Find out what kinda of pumps they use. THe monarch are suppose to be the best. Also check the brakes, hyrdro lines etc. Did you buy it allready? because the auction ended.

I have no boughten it yet, I was planning on contacting them and buying one through their company rather than on ebay. I will have to find out what kind of pumps they use.

wellbuilt
06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I think if i was buying new i would go for a 14k lb trailer . I have 2 12k and a 10k . I agree with petr its a very good price . I have the same one and mine is very heavy duty. John

pitrack
06-13-2009, 03:49 AM
I just really can't see myself pulling around that much weight. I would just rather make another trip than put 14k pounds of weight behind my truck.

wellbuilt
06-14-2009, 02:05 PM
As long as your truck and hitch is rated for 14000lbs i would go for it . Most hitches are not rated for over 6500lbs lbs with out WD hitch with snap brackets
My ford pickups are 6500lbs and 6000lbs .
The extra 2' is nice to have even if you don't fill it to capacity.
I would rather have 7000lbs in a 14000lb trailer then 7000lb in a 10000lb trailer and be maxed out .
What are you planing to use the trailer for?
If you center a skid steer in the box over the axles there isn't much space for attachments .
A longer trailer is easier to drive ,handles weight better , backs much better.
My 10' dump is a pain to back up . I cant really see it . The down side to the larger trailer are
You need more room to park it at the job and in the yard .
You burn extra fuel because of the added unladen weight. (empty)
Ive been told that a commercial trailer over 10000 lb needs a class A licence even if your combination weight is under 26000lb . Ive always pulled my 12000lb trailers with a f350 . I have a class A licence.
The 14000lb dump will cost more .
John

pitrack
06-14-2009, 03:13 PM
As long as your truck and hitch is rated for 14000lbs i would go for it . Most hitches are not rated for over 6500lbs lbs with out WD hitch with snap brackets
My ford pickups are 6500lbs and 6000lbs .
The extra 2' is nice to have even if you don't fill it to capacity.
I would rather have 7000lbs in a 14000lb trailer then 7000lb in a 10000lb trailer and be maxed out .
What are you planing to use the trailer for?
If you center a skid steer in the box over the axles there isn't much space for attachments .
A longer trailer is easier to drive ,handles weight better , backs much better.
My 10' dump is a pain to back up . I cant really see it . The down side to the larger trailer are
You need more room to park it at the job and in the yard .
You burn extra fuel because of the added unladen weight. (empty)
Ive been told that a commercial trailer over 10000 lb needs a class A licence even if your combination weight is under 26000lb . Ive always pulled my 12000lb trailers with a f350 . I have a class A licence.
The 14000lb dump will cost more .
John

Thank you for the info. I plan on using it for hauling mostly landscaping materials. I am not sure if I will ever haul a skid in the trailer but it would be nice to be able to if the situation arose. I believe my truck can handle the weight (07' Cummins) but I am not sure about my hitch. I just have the factory hitch that should be okay shouldn't it? I think I might spend the extra money and get the 14' trailer, I have a 14' mowing trailer now and would probably be lost with 2 less feet of space on the trailer. Thanks again for all the help guys.

wellbuilt
06-14-2009, 10:38 PM
The truck should be OK . but i think you will need to have a 21/2 " trailer hitch receiver with a 25/16 heavy shank ball or pindle hook and ring . You mite have to prove it is heavy enough , every thing must be stamped for 14000lbs .
All my trailers are low boys. ( dump box between the axles) If you want to load wheel barrows from the dump bead you should get a trailer with the bed over the axles. You mite want to get a trailer that has drop sides so you can load at the yard with forks . John

pitrack
06-15-2009, 01:12 AM
The truck should be OK . but i think you will need to have a 21/2 " trailer hitch receiver with a 25/16 heavy shank ball or pindle hook and ring . You mite have to prove it is heavy enough , every thing must be stamped for 14000lbs .
All my trailers are low boys. ( dump box between the axles) If you want to load wheel barrows from the dump bead you should get a trailer with the bed over the axles. You mite want to get a trailer that has drop sides so you can load at the yard with forks . John

I like the drop sides, I haven't seen hardly any trailers with drop sides. Do yours have them? I think I will go with the low boy style.

Upper5Percent
06-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Hey guys I am in the market for a dump trailer and was wondering what you guys thought about buying one on ebay? I don't like buying stuff online (I bought a snow plow online too and saved a bundle) but you can save quite a bit of money compared to places around here locally. I am looking at this trailer, looks nice what do you guys think? An equivelant trailer to that around here would be upper 6's for sure. It would cost me around $600 to have it shipped to me plus the price of the trailer obviously. Thanks for your thoughts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2009-DUMP-TRAILER-BEST-DEAL-ON-EBAY-4700_W0QQitemZ200348286296QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTrailers?hash=item2ea5b03d58&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

Get yourself a PJ Dump Trailer...they are manufactured down in your area...:)
http://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers.cfm#Dumps

Or peruse the one's available on this site...I found my PJ in NY...:D
http://www.fastline.com/v100/search-drill-down.aspx?Category=Dump+Trailer

wellbuilt
06-15-2009, 10:29 PM
No my trailers don't have the drop down sides. You cant have the low boy with drop sides the fender would stick up above the deck . Most guys here , load there wheel barrows buy dumping from the trailer to the wheelbarrows , so you don't need to shovel mulch or top soil off the ground .
I agree with Paul , the JP trailers Ive seen are heavy duty.

terrapro
06-17-2009, 08:28 AM
I just purchased a 6x10 deck over Quality Steel and Aluminum Products dump trailer from a place in Ohio. It is light weight and nimble at just under a ton empty and has a capacity of 5000lbs(tandem 3500lb axles).

This would be my 3rd dump trailer over the years. First was a 6x10 U-Dump deck over which was okay and did what we needed it to do.

2nd was a Bri-mar 6x12 low profile which was heavy duty and ate up anything we threw at it. We would frequently load it up with 10yds of hardwood mulch. It weighed too much empty in my opinion though, I think it was around 3500lbs but man we worked it.

Over the years I learned a few things. Gas is expensive and so is equipment so if you dont need a heavy duty trailer every day get a light one. If you need 10 yds of mulch for a job get it delivered, what is $50 for delivery when that is how much you are going to spend if not more picking it up yourself. If you are just hauling leaves for spring cleanup or a few yards of mulch get the light duty trailer.

If you haul and dump stuff daily or even every other day get a dump truck then.

terrapro
06-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Here is a picture of the new trailer waiting for vinyl decals. Dont mind the pink chalk on the back of the truck, my 2 year old daughter is a blossoming artist.

mowingtowing
06-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Looks good. I ALWAYS wonder why people make wooden sides they way you have ( I see it all the time). Wouldnt you want to have the smooth side be inside where the brush (or whatever you have in the trailer/truck) will be as to not have anything to catch and hinder in unloading/dumping?

terrapro
06-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks.

Personally I decided it looks better. I have had sides on all the dump trailers like this and never had any problems with debris catching while dumping.

With the sides it puts me just above 6yards capacity. On the brimar we had 4.5ft tall total sides which put us around 12yards and nothing ever caught and if it did it wasnt eventfull enough for me to remember.

pitrack
06-17-2009, 10:14 AM
I just purchased a 6x10 deck over Quality Steel and Aluminum Products dump trailer from a place in Ohio. It is light weight and nimble at just under a ton empty and has a capacity of 5000lbs(tandem 3500lb axles).

This would be my 3rd dump trailer over the years. First was a 6x10 U-Dump deck over which was okay and did what we needed it to do.

2nd was a Bri-mar 6x12 low profile which was heavy duty and ate up anything we threw at it. We would frequently load it up with 10yds of hardwood mulch. It weighed too much empty in my opinion though, I think it was around 3500lbs but man we worked it.

Over the years I learned a few things. Gas is expensive and so is equipment so if you dont need a heavy duty trailer every day get a light one. If you need 10 yds of mulch for a job get it delivered, what is $50 for delivery when that is how much you are going to spend if not more picking it up yourself. If you are just hauling leaves for spring cleanup or a few yards of mulch get the light duty trailer.

If you haul and dump stuff daily or even every other day get a dump truck then.

Thank you for your comments. I am going back and forth on whether to get the heavy duty trailer or a lighter duty one. I believe I am going to go with the heavy duty one because a year down the road I don't want to be kicking myself when my light duty trailer is over loaded and I had wish I bought the heavy duty one. I figure if I am going to spend the money on a dump trailer, might as well get one that can handle almost anything I throw at it.

As far as the dump truck, that is out of the question. I do not want to pay for the extra insurance, and since it would be a cheap truck, extra cost of repairs, maint. etc. Maybe sometime way down the road, but for now all that I feel is necessary is a trailer.

Thanks guys

wellbuilt
06-18-2009, 12:19 AM
terrapro has some good points fuel costs big while pulling a trailer . I have a lite duty dump for small loads .
The funny thing is once you start dumping materiel's you will want a dump truck bad .

pitrack
06-18-2009, 01:08 AM
terrapro has some good points fuel costs big while pulling a trailer . I have a lite duty dump for small loads .
The funny thing is once you start dumping materiel's you will want a dump truck bad .

Oh I already want a dump truck...just not in the budget and don't really NEED one haha.

Upper5Percent
06-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Thank you for your comments. I am going back and forth on whether to get the heavy duty trailer or a lighter duty one. I believe I am going to go with the heavy duty one because a year down the road I don't want to be kicking myself when my light duty trailer is over loaded and I had wish I bought the heavy duty one. I figure if I am going to spend the money on a dump trailer, might as well get one that can handle almost anything I throw at it.

As far as the dump truck, that is out of the question. I do not want to pay for the extra insurance, and since it would be a cheap truck, extra cost of repairs, maint. etc. Maybe sometime way down the road, but for now all that I feel is necessary is a trailer.

Thanks guys

Make up a list of the 10 most performed tasks that this trailer will be doing...if they are heavy duty type activities...get the heavy-duty trailer
if on the otherhand, they are primarily light-duty operations...then get the light duty trailer and just plan on MORE TRIPS to cover those jobs that need the heavy duty trailer characteristics...OR CONTRACT those particular deliveries...:)