PDA

View Full Version : first time Commercial Bid

Upstate Mike
04-07-2002, 11:12 AM
This will be my first year in business and I am doing mostly residential but would like to pick up a couple commercial accounts.I saw a sign posted in a gas station this morning and they are looking for somebody to cut the grass and do some light hedge trimming and clean up afterwards.All the jobs I have gotten so far were basically me showing up and saying a price and they said OK then I give them a contract to sign and that's it.This gas station wants a written bid but nothing real fancy.Does anybody have a bid template I could take a look at to get some ideas so I don't leave anything out.

Thanks
Mike C

Upstate Mike
04-07-2002, 10:29 PM
Ok,I talked to a guy who works at this station and he said the lowest bid so far was 125.00 a week and the owner is looking to spend less that 100.00.I think that is extremely high.The mowing will take about 1/2 hr,cleanup 15-20 minutes and the bushes trimmed maybe once a month maybe twice would be 1 hr per month.I have been trying to price my cuts at 45.00 per hr so I would say 75.00 per week is fair for this job.I just have to figure out how to put all of this in a bid letter that looks professional.What do you guys think?

Russo
04-07-2002, 11:32 PM
Not sure if you'll get someone to share a contract template. I've seen six pagers including very detailed specs and 1 pagers that just outline work to be performed and payment schedules. I wrote my specs and got a lawyer to create a contract with alot of legalese in it, so sharing someting like that might be iffy on here for members. I hear one of the sponsers "Lawn Monkey" has that kind of stuff.

I think you are right on the $ for the work you are proposing to perform, but perhaps you are not comparing apples to apples. What I mean is, maybe the other contractors are including a spray program, or bed care, or leaf removal , or something that's making their prices higher. If it's just a mow, blow, and go....your looking pretty good by my standards.

Good Luck, landscraper.

boblee
04-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Upstate Mike
Your writen estimate for work preformed can be quite simple.
Most "Gas Stations" also want to see a copy of your liability insurance and its limits, 300,000 / 500,000. Please remember gas staions have alot of trash to be picked up,and or removed.
We have one that takes two men half an hour each week to blow off the drives and remove all the trash. Most want an all enclusive proposal. Its easier for them to budget for year to year. This would be any and all landscape maitainance to include weeding, fertilizing, and plant replacement. If you like the property ask for a two year contract. Always include an out for yourself with thirty days notice.

I have been through the ( your kid was mowing, hit a can, and scratched my new Lincoln Town Car) deal several times before. Or he blew trash on my car and damaged the paint.

Be careful, Have fun,
Robert Lee & Sons
Orlando Florida

Upstate Mike
04-09-2002, 10:18 PM
Thank you very much for the response.I wrote up a bid for the manager and handed it in today so we will have to wait and see how I do.I bid the general maintenance a little high anticipating a lot of cleaning up work.

Thanks again
Mike C

MuskTurfKing
04-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Good luck to you on the bid!

Hank

Russo
04-10-2002, 09:16 AM
Let us know how it goes, Upstate.