PDA

View Full Version : Cobblestone Patio/parking spot

ccla
04-07-2002, 01:17 PM
I have an area behind my carport thats behind my house that i want to turn into a patio / extra parking. I was thinking of using these tumbled paver stones I saw at Home Depot that are $.56 each for the small ones and $.76 for the larger. They look similar to Old cobblestone. And I was going to mix half and half between the sizes. and lay on a bed of sand.

What should I use between the stones? Regular mortar? plain sand? rock dust? or pour concrete between them?

Also would I come out cheaper getting a Concrete contractor to come out and pour a slab and having them Stain and Score/stamp the pattern?

The area is roughly 30'x17'

Thanks

Russo
04-09-2002, 10:04 AM
Sorry I don't have an answer for ya, but I can't believe that no one else does. There are folks on here that talk about this exact same stuff night and day. If you haven't done a search yet, try that. At least the fact that I'm typing something in this little box will move your post to the top again. Hope I helped.

Russo
04-18-2002, 02:42 PM
Back to the top you go!

DaveK
04-18-2002, 08:48 PM
You didn't mention the size of the pavers. So I have no idea what the price per sq. ft. would be.

A landscape supply yard would probably be a better bet. Even if the the sq. ft. price ends up a little more. Home Depot is known for having very low prices (even below their cost on some items) but the quality of the advice on installation may leave much to be desired.

The base material (sand, slag sand, or whatever is used in your part of the country) sold at Home Depot will more than likely be sold by the bag. That is very costly compared to buying bulk (even delivered) from a landscape supply yard. It could be two to three times the cost.
For an area that size (30'x17') you will need nearly 12 cubic yards for a depth of 6", which is the absolute minimum for an area that has ocassional vehicle traffic, AND if your sub-base is ideal.