PDA

View Full Version : A couple of more JD 800 series problems

NINER
06-11-2009, 03:46 PM
anyone having trouble from these two issues?
first the bolt that holds the idler pulley arm has either bent or broken on three different mowers.
second the mower deck drops a notch or two when hitting bumps in the lawn.

what has been done to fix these issues and has it lasted?

NINER
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Anyone??????

Herrick
06-13-2009, 12:11 AM
my idler pully bracket bolt for the drive system broke a few weeks ago on me, dealer took care of it. I asked why it broke and they had no clue.

nnj18
06-13-2009, 12:21 AM
No problems with my 850.....how many hours on these machines??
Posted via Mobile Device

06-13-2009, 12:32 AM
I haven't had any problems like that, and I have a 830.

NINER
06-15-2009, 10:49 AM
No problems with my 850.....how many hours on these machines??
Posted via Mobile Device

mine range from 500 to 600 hrs on them. i have replaced what is called a leaf spring and the other part that adjusts the mowing height on one mower in particular twice. the others haver been just the spring.

rreyn1812
12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
At about 200 hours (1 year old), I noticed a broken bolt on the left side of the mower (Ztrak 830a) that is part of the deck lift mechanism. The head of the bolt just broke off, but it looked like a manufacturing problem with the bolt.

The original bolt was 12mm, but when looking at the new parts list, the replacement bolt is a 16mm. Therefore, a large portion of the deck lift mechanism had to be replaced to accomodate the larger, beefier bolts. Obviously, JD was aware of the problem and already had a solution and it was fixed under warranty.

JD7210
12-06-2009, 09:08 AM
I have 800hrs on a Z830A and 450hrs on a Z850A and have yet to see those problems. Are most of you happy with your machines since the updates have been done? Overall we are satisfied with the updates, and have had no problems.

ed2hess
12-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Try hardened bolts in places where you have broken bolts.

joslawn33
12-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Very happy with my 830 500hrs.

DLCS
12-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Those are two of the many problems that i had with my 850a. John deere knows about them, so they told me. The new 900 series was suppose to have corected those issues as well.

rreyn1812
12-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Overall, I would have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with my Ztrak 830a. Have not had any of the low power problems that some of the threads have discussed.

1993lx172
12-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Overall, I would have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with my Ztrak 830a. Have not had any of the low power problems that some of the threads have discussed.

From what I've seen, with the 800s it's been the luck of the draw. Some got total lemons and some have had nothing but good luck with few if any issues. It seamed like each unit was built separately rather than on an assembly line and no two machines were alike performance wise.

rcslawncare
12-06-2009, 09:25 PM
no problems with my 830.

LawnCareNoobie
12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
no problems with my 830.

Well, that is good rcs, hope it continues to give you no problems.

The common misconception on this site, and overall online is that all 800 series mowers are bad. This is false.

Yes, the 1st year machines that came out (860A wasn't out yet) had their share of problems, which is common for any major redesign in ZT manufacturing. The primary problem revolved around the hydraulic drives.

The machines produced after their fixes are solid. My local dealer has sold many 800 series units. In fact this whole issue is way overblown.

The 900 series units might be their best yet, and that's pretty good considering the 700 series line was great.

1993lx172
12-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Well put Noobie. The people who had bad experiences with the first 800's are still a little "gun shy" when it comes to Deere's commercial zero turns, but once the 900's get a season or two under their belts (no pun intended) Deere will regain the market share that they lost during the 800 series incident. I've heard guys where I live say nothing but good things about them after they got the upgrade kits installed. My dealer has only seen about five of the 09 800s back for something wrong and that was usually just a broken bolt or two.

People need to look at it like this, At least Deere tried something new, Scag, Toro, Exmark, and the rest, with a few exceptions, haven't changed their designs very much in the last ten years. Other than throwing a different engine or deck on a base machine that hasn't changed much. Did Deere have some issues with a line that had been redesigned from the ground up? Yes. Did they step up and fix the problem? You bet.

The reason you don't hear about anyone else having problems is because they play it safe and only change a few things around like their decks or engine options. In a few years the other companies designs will be obsolete.

rcslawncare
12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
2cd that. John Deere has been nothing but great as far as customer service! Has anyone been on the 900 after the 800. How much of a difference is it?

1993lx172
12-10-2009, 11:45 PM
The guys on here that have them (like nnj18 (930) and a few others) say it's like night and day even when compared to an 09 800. Even I'm still a bit wary of the 800's no matter what year it came out, would I take the chance if I got a good deal on a new 09 800? I'll admit I would but that is only because I don't have that many yards and I don't plan on being in the industry to the extent I am now in another three or four years.

rcslawncare
12-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the input. I have a chance to buy another mower and don't know if I should go for the 900. I have a toro z400, and don't know wether to get another 60" toro or just get another 60" deere.

1993lx172
12-11-2009, 01:40 AM
In response to your PM..

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=290763

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=287865

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=285159 Page# 3( assuming you are viewing 10 posts per page) for an honest review from an Exmark user.

That's all I'm subscribed to I think, man that was a lot of digging. Enjoy your reading.

clint walker
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
I guess nobody here has owned a 810 or 820 because if you did you might think diffrently.I have 810a 48" deck all upgrades have been done to with no change in performance.sales rep from dealer test drove on one my customers yards after all upgrades and said its performance was marginal at best.Just make sure you tell people to stay away from the 810 or 820 the pumps are to large for the engines is what my dealer told me and there is no fixing it.

rcslawncare
01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Try your best to get them to refund it or so you don't take that big of a hit to trade up to the 900. But, I think it is something you just need to do, $4000 to keep customers and have a machine that is fit for the job is what you might end up paying.

clint walker
01-26-2010, 06:16 PM
unfortunately jd is the only one that is going to profit from this deal.So think about this they sell me a more a mower that does not perform even close to what they say it should and they say they can not fix it.I am supposed to take a loss on the mower(+customers I have lost)and then give them more money for another mower so that they can make a profit.Does not sound right to me.

JD7210
01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Clint, If your cant not get any where with your dealership. Try John Deere corporate I know they will listen to your problem and complaints. I do know that alot of 820's have been bought back. I am unsure of 810. I think your problem is your dealership.

clint walker
01-26-2010, 06:58 PM
I tried corporate they told they are in the business of selling mowers not buying them.I am going to visit my lawyer tomorrow @ 2:30 Iam hoping with a little push the will be more cooperative.If you know anybody that has had them buy one back without any strings attached please have them contact me.

rcslawncare
01-26-2010, 11:29 PM
PLease keep us updated on what you are going to do. I'd be very interested in how this plays out! Ryan

mowerbrad
01-27-2010, 12:10 AM
I tried corporate they told they are in the business of selling mowers not buying them.I am going to visit my lawyer tomorrow @ 2:30 Iam hoping with a little push the will be more cooperative.If you know anybody that has had them buy one back without any strings attached please have them contact me.

I will say that something should be done about your mower's issues. I would have hoped that your dealer would have stepped up to the plate and helped to push deere to get them to make the situation right, how ever that may be.

But there have been so many people out there that have wanted to get lawyers involved and think that it is going to make deere buy back their machine. I've said this before, deere will not be phased by you and your lawyer. Deere is a multi-billion dollar company that has teams of lawyers ready to go at any moment, your lawyer is not going to scare them one bit. I'm not saying don't try, but you'll just be wasting your money.

SouthSide Cutter
01-27-2010, 02:45 AM
I dont think some of you get it. Why change anything if it works and works good, maybe the mtr for economy. Way to many 800 series setting everywhere for me to buy one and I just think Deere shot both feet off on this mower. And when you loose customers like they did you wont get all of them back.

clint walker
01-27-2010, 06:39 AM
mowerbrad, thats exactly what they want you to think.If they can not fix something thats under warranty there is not much their lawyers can do about it.I have done a lot of research with the help of local congressman and others who know alot about this and they say go after them.JD and the dealership are hoping that I am scared of their lawyers and do nothing.

Junebug
01-27-2010, 09:59 AM
I work for a large corporation and I sell service contracts on the equipment we sell, these are uninterruptable power systems for data centers, hospitals, etc.We are very careful with the terms and conditions we agree to for service, we have a whole department that reviews any terms a customer sends in - either on a PO or in writing with our quote. So, even with all this, the law is still mostly on the side of the consumer and in a case where the loss is 25K or less - most companies will settled instead of going to court, however, you may have to sign a non-disclosure form about it.

gunner19
01-27-2010, 10:36 AM
I guess nobody here has owned a 810 or 820 because if you did you might think diffrently.I have 810a 48" deck all upgrades have been done to with no change in performance.sales rep from dealer test drove on one my customers yards after all upgrades and said its performance was marginal at best.Just make sure you tell people to stay away from the 810 or 820 the pumps are to large for the engines is what my dealer told me and there is no fixing it.

I have an 820 that I bought last Spring. I have had no problems with mine. I don't know, maybe I got lucky. I have a 54" deck with a mulch kit that I run 100% of the time. I can't remember off hand what the hour meter reads, couldn't even venture a guess.

clint walker
01-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I guess you got lucky or maybe they changed the pumps on the later models.if drove mine i am sure you would not be happy.

rcslawncare
01-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Same style pump, bit I believe they changed them around a little bit later on in the 800's. The 900's have a completely new design!!

clint walker
01-27-2010, 03:45 PM
I just got back from seeing my lawyer he has hear about this and sending to another lawyer that has already successfully dealt with this problem.

Retired Farmer
02-01-2010, 02:14 PM
I just got back from seeing my lawyer he has hear about this and sending to another lawyer that has already successfully dealt with this problem.

I have a z810a, have tried to work with the dealer, no satisfaction. Called John Deere without any resolution to the problems with this mower. Major problem is the lack of power due to the pumps used on these mowers, not to mention the noise from the pumps. Dealer offered me 2/3 the price that I payed for the mower, it has only 21 hrs on it. I use it as my personal mower, not as a commercial mower. John Deere layed an egg with this one. Thought about contacting a lawyer, but that can get expensive. Looks like John Deere is willing to let the consumer take a bath on this mower.

luckylawnboy
02-01-2010, 08:11 PM
830a and the only time it was at the dealer was to have the update kit installed. I have over 900 hrs on it so far so good!

rcslawncare
02-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Good to hear! Nice to see someone that has a good mower from Deere, they are not all bad! Have you ran the 900 yet??

John Deere Mann
02-02-2010, 05:02 AM
I use the Jd x520 and had a simler problem with that. My dealer said the the bushing went bad in it. Replaced it and hadn't had any problems with it.
'

luckylawnboy
02-02-2010, 08:02 AM
From my research it seems most complaints came from the 810 and 820. John Deere mowers have always been underpowered but this year they finally are offering engine options. IMO 60 cut needs 30 hp min and 72 needs 35 min and 54 needs 25 hp min. I still think deere offers less hp as an option. I think power is really important and deere is just asking for trouble offering to large of deck options on the lesser hp models on the new 900s.

luckylawnboy
02-02-2010, 08:05 AM
I really love my 830 as well but if we buy another 60" mower it will be 30-32 hp, but it has great speed and an amazing cut. Just have to slow down a bit when it gets really thick.

DeereMan85
02-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Bottom line is that you should have known the mower was underpowered for your application if you drove it at all before you bought it. This isn't an issue of consumer fraud, it's a case of customer stupidity. You bought the wrong mower and want someone else to blame for your mistake. This is no different than if you bought a pickup too small to pull your trailer - would you expect Ford or GM to take it back because you weren't smart enough to know what you needed? No, and they'd laugh you out of the place. Go ahead and waste time and money trying to sue, but there is no law to protect you if you simply bought the wrong size mower.

luckylawnboy
02-02-2010, 11:29 AM
No offense if your calling me stupid you have another thing coming. If Deere make a mower with a 60 inch deck then it should do the job. Its deere problem the made the 60" deck available on some early 820's then mid season it was only available with the 54". I think people who call people stupid on public forums are idiots...No offense...Deereman85

rcslawncare
02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
My 830 with the 27 Kawasaki cut through anything I needed it to! All around good machine, but the 900 is where its gonna be at!

EJD Lawnpride
02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I demoed a 950 and it was an awesome machine. It handled hills great and was very fast.

Retired Farmer
02-02-2010, 12:28 PM
luckylawnboy, you mentioned an update kit you had installed on you 830a. What kit was that, and did it improve you mower? When did you purchase you mower? Some updates were made at the factory.

rcslawncare
02-02-2010, 12:35 PM
luckylawnboy, you mentioned an update kit you had installed on you 830a. What kit was that, and did it improve you mower? When did you purchase you mower? Some updates were made at the factory.

My 830 did not have it when it left the dealer. It was installed 2 days later at no charge. Also, if you are having problems with wheel spin on turns, there is a weight kit that also was free and helped out a lot more than I thought it would. The lit has something to do with the sensitive pumps and jerkiness, the reduced it, but is still way to responsive compared to my Toros.

luckylawnboy
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
mine was a demo so it was one of the early ones. All i know is there was problems with throwing belts, pulleys breaking and some models got a gear reduction on the pulley size on the pumps I believe. It was at no cost..Im not sure what all it entailed.

Retired Farmer
02-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I'am having the steering and slope kits installed on my z810a. I purchased mine in march 2009, so I think the update to the mower deck was done at the factory. I find it difficult to get information from my dealer or John Deere as to what has been done to my mower at the factory as far as updates or what is available currently as updates. I have had to fight tooth and nail to gain knowledge about this mower. They are very tight lipped, it shouldn't be this way. It's like they are trying to hide something.

DeereMan85
02-02-2010, 04:43 PM
No offense if your calling me stupid you have another thing coming. If Deere make a mower with a 60 inch deck then it should do the job. Its deere problem the made the 60" deck available on some early 820's then mid season it was only available with the 54". I think people who call people stupid on public forums are idiots...No offense...Deereman85

I am calling you stupid. You would have to be to think that hiring lawyers and calling congressmen will get you any results.

The mower is underpowered, so what? They made it an option because for some people it has adequate power. I know this because we have sold a lot of them. Other options were available, so if you did not select the proper mower for your needs how is that anyone's fault but your own? This is like suing GM because your Aveo is not as fast as the neighbor's Corvette. Any congressman who wastes time on such nonsense should be thrown out of office. Get real.

rcslawncare
02-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I am calling you stupid. You would have to be to think that hiring lawyers and calling congressmen will get you any results.

The mower is underpowered, so what? They made it an option because for some people it has adequate power. I know this because we have sold a lot of them. Other options were available, so if you did not select the proper mower for your needs how is that anyone's fault but your own? This is like suing GM because your Aveo is not as fast as the neighbor's Corvette. Any congressman who wastes time on such nonsense should be thrown out of office. Get real.
Deere has made attempts to fix what wasn't liked. I agree that,even though dissatisfied, you should of demoed it on properties that you would be concerned about way before signing. And the 810's and 820's did not have big power options.

DeereMan85
02-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Deere has made attempts to fix what wasn't liked. I agree that,even though dissatisfied, you should of demoed it on properties that you would be concerned about way before signing. And the 810's and 820's did not have big power options.

No, the 810s and 820s didn't have big power options - I'm talking about the other models in the lineup. There is a reason they offer a broad range of hp/cutting width combinations. Common sense should tell you that the performance will be marginal on the lower hp models - why else would anyone want a bigger engine on the same width deck otherwise?

Retired Farmer
02-02-2010, 10:02 PM
My z810a was advertised as a commercial mower. It was not advertised as a marginal commercial mower. I have operated equipment for over fourty years, much of it John Deere. Never have I owned a piece of equipment from John Deere that is as poorly engineered as this mower.

luckylawnboy
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Correct Deere advertised the 820 as a entry level commercial mower and pushed them on the dealers. So they messed up and thats the reason for the the new series. Deereman85 I would venture to guess you do not even own a 800 series mower or a 700 series or a 900 series. You sell them???? Ok so you have no idea what it like to even put one through its paces. Lets get real....Im not going to argue but you are calling people stupid who log thousands of hours on these machines and you just person who does the paperwork for us when we want to buy one.

rcslawncare
02-02-2010, 10:14 PM
My z810a was advertised as a commercial mower. It was not advertised as a marginal commercial mower. I have operated equipment for over fourty years, much of it John Deere. Never have I owned a piece of equipment from John Deere that is as poorly engineered as this mower.

What is the size and what engine does it have? 48" with the 22?

luckylawnboy
02-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I have logged over 10,000 hours on Deere Z trak mowers so I know these mowers. I love my 830a but like I said my next one will have 30 32hp.

rcslawncare
02-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I have logged over 10,000 hours on Deere Z trak mowers so I know these mowers. I love my 830a but like I said my next one will have 30 32hp.

Very nice stripes, got any pictures of the 830 laying them down?

luckylawnboy
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
just when we demoed it but i will this spring. I only took a few and posted them this spring so I cant post them again.

Retired Farmer
02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
rcslawncare, the z810a has a 48" deck and a 22hp engine. Should be plenty of power to run a 48" deck, problem is the pumps rob to much power. This is my biggest concern with this mower, behind the fact that the front tires tear the grass and the rear tires spin to easily. Hoping the rear weight kit corrects the tire spin problem.

luckylawnboy
02-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Well here is some stripes from a 830a guess I have a few looks same as our 757s just gets it done faster!!!

luckylawnboy
02-02-2010, 11:00 PM
72" deere mowers. Not bad for being stupid!!

luckylawnboy
02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
fall color!! last cut of 09 i think..

rcslawncare
02-02-2010, 11:12 PM
rcslawncare, the z810a has a 48" deck and a 22hp engine. Should be plenty of power to run a 48" deck, problem is the pumps rob to much power. This is my biggest concern with this mower, behind the fact that the front tires tear the grass and the rear tires spin to easily. Hoping the rear weight kit corrects the tire spin problem.

Yea, mine helped, but it does add more weight obviously. My thing was also how the tires were square in the front, it caught many edges. Weird, cause the tires on other ZTR's are the same, Im thinking the way the weight is distributed frontward, it pouts extra wight on the caster tires. As for the pumps, heard about them, never ran the 810. It could be that design, the 900 is a completely different hydro set up, more like the 700's.

rcslawncare
02-02-2010, 11:13 PM
fall color!! last cut of 09 i think..

Very nice! All looks great!!

06LTNox
02-03-2010, 08:59 AM
What is required to get the weight kit?

Retired Farmer
02-03-2010, 10:02 AM
What is required to get the weight kit?

Contact you john deere dealer and tell him you want the slope kit and also the steering kit. The slope kit consists of two weights added to the rear of the mower, it's purpose is to help keep the rear wheels from spinning and also to make the mower safer on slopes. The steering kit is to improve the feel of the steering arms. On my mower the steering arms were so stiff that I couldn't control the mower. I was always over steering in order to maintain control of the mower.

rcslawncare
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Contact you john deere dealer and tell him you want the slope kit and also the steering kit. The slope kit consists of two weights added to the rear of the mower, it's purpose is to help keep the rear wheels from spinning and also to make the mower safer on slopes. The steering kit is to improve the feel of the steering arms. On my mower the steering arms were so stiff that I couldn't control the mower. I was always over steering in order to maintain control of the mower.

That is exactly right! the weight kit was weird looking at first, but actually did not bother me after a few days!!