PDA

View Full Version : Bob-cat fast cat pro

JB217
06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I have a few questions to ask you guys out there. What do you guys think about this mower for doing 10-20 accounts a week? My dealer has it with the 23 vanguard for 5800 otd. i mean is it over kill? i just am being pushed towards buying new with everyone trying to get top dollar for there used crap. I basically am wondering the difference between the zt-2800 trans axles and the zt-3400 transaxles this mower has. Should i stay away from these? should i look into the snapper pro 150 instead , which is in the price range? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys..

supercuts
06-11-2009, 08:17 PM
i think thats the high end homeowner version although im not sure. if so, id put my money into a nice used commerical ZTR

JB217
06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Whats considered a good used mower... anything under a 1000 hrs? 800?

JB217
06-11-2009, 10:50 PM
gues nobody knows....still open for opinions

kaferhaus
06-11-2009, 10:58 PM
It's not the homeowner mower, it is a true commercial mower, but that dealer is killing you on the price. We use those on residentials because they're light weight (comparatively) get into tight places and are fast. We have 4 of those with the Kawasaki 19HP engines which are plenty of power.

Great mowers, that have been extremely durable and given zero problems. BUT I pay under 5K out the door on our spec (canister air filters, mulch kit and suspension seats) on the fleet program and I know the local dealer will sell them for 54-5500 bucks out the door (with the suspension seat) to anyone who walks in the place.

JB217
06-11-2009, 11:19 PM
It's not the homeowner mower, it is a true commercial mower, but that dealer is killing you on the price. We use those on residentials because they're light weight (comparatively) get into tight places and are fast. We have 4 of those with the Kawasaki 19HP engines which are plenty of power.

Great mowers, that have been extremely durable and given zero problems. BUT I pay under 5K out the door on our spec (canister air filters, mulch kit and suspension seats) on the fleet program and I know the local dealer will sell them for 54-5500 bucks out the door (with the suspension seat) to anyone who walks in the place.

Sp you actually have this fast cat pro with the zt-3400 transaxles....? how are they? do they whine alot? i thought this was a light commercial model. and what should i tell this dealer i can do on this fast cat pro with the vanguard? 5400? isnt the kaw a better engine? thanks for the info too by the way.

kaferhaus
06-11-2009, 11:31 PM
They're just smaller pumps... it's a small machine, it doesn't need the big pumps. They make less noise than the pro-cats do which is neglible anyway.

We only buy ZTRs with Kaw engines. We've had Kohlers in the past and their not "bad" the Command series of engines are very good. But we've gotten better service and fuel ecomony with the Kawasaki's.

Can't tell you what to do about your dealer. I'd call one nearby.... maybe in the next town and tell him you're a "buyer" and to give you his best out the door price. Then either buy it from him or go back to the local guy and say here's what I can buy it for... match the price or I go give the other guy my money...

JB217
06-11-2009, 11:34 PM
So are you suggesting i stay away from the vanguard motor from briggs?

Performance R/E
06-12-2009, 07:16 AM
You may consider a less expensive alternative. I have been using a Cub Cadet residential Z force mower with dual ZT 2800 trans. I use it for a 30 unit condo development as well as several other accounts. I weighs only 602 lbs moves at 8 mph, fits into tight place, causes little rutting, is cheap to operate, and I can get any parts overnighted right from MTD. I demoed a Scag wasn't that overly impressed and figured at $3600. I can buy two of these for the price of a Scag. This is a picture of it's cut from a job yesterday.

kaferhaus
06-12-2009, 07:27 AM
So are you suggesting i stay away from the vanguard motor from briggs?

NO the Vanguard is the only briggs engine that's worth a damn.

kaferhaus
06-12-2009, 07:32 AM
You may consider a less expensive alternative. I have been using a Cub Cadet residential Z force mower with dual ZT 2800 trans. I use it for a 30 unit condo development as well as several other accounts. I weighs only 602 lbs moves at 8 mph, fits into tight place, causes little rutting, is cheap to operate, and I can get any parts overnighted right from MTD. I demoed a Scag wasn't that overly impressed and figured at $3600. I can buy two of these for the price of a Scag. This is a picture of it's cut from a job yesterday.

yes but don't fool yourself. The cub will cut good and be cheap to operate.... for awhile. Then the cut will go to crap and it will become expensive to maintain from the frequency of things breaking.

I don't disagree with starting out with what you can afford but have realistic expectations. That machine will not last under commercial conditions.

If they did none of us would be buying commercial mowers now would we?

supercuts
06-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Whats considered a good used mower... anything under a 1000 hrs? 800?

under a 1000 is great. i just bought a scag TT for $4k this spring with the 29HP Kawi DFI. with 990hrs. look for the deals. we put 500+ hours on each machine a year servicing over 100 good size lawns a week

Performance R/E
06-12-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't disagree. I have read many of your posts and respect your opinion and can tell you have much knowledge and expertise in this field. I have been self employed in the construction/Real Estate business for 30 years and am mowing some of my own development projects now due to the current market time it is taking to sell some of these spec projects. Anyway, over the years I have seen many subs with high end equipment struggle to make ends meet. I can see the quality of commercial mowers for sure but for 10-20accounts that the person was asking about a lesser mower could certainly do the job. There isn't much on this Cub that can't be replaced overnight for not allot of money.

kaferhaus
06-12-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't disagree. I have read many of your posts and respect your opinion and can tell you have much knowledge and expertise in this field. I have been self employed in the construction/Real Estate business for 30 years and am mowing some of my own development projects now due to the current market time it is taking to sell some of these spec projects. Anyway, over the years I have seen many subs with high end equipment struggle to make ends meet. I can see the quality of commercial mowers for sure but for 10-20accounts that the person was asking about a lesser mower could certainly do the job. There isn't much on this Cub that can't be replaced overnight for not allot of money.

If the same guy is using it all the time, and he's very, very careful (read moves slowly around obstacles and curbs) he could make it last awhile. There's a reason those machines have a 120hr warranty on them vs say a 2,000 hr warranty on a Bobcat.... The decks and frames are flimsy in comparison and I'd wager the deck is a $4-500 item. The engines are always low end economy models that have a life expectancy of around 500hrs under "normal" use.

I know a solo here that uses a JD zero turn (homeowner) model that he bought new last year and he's already replaced the engine and deck spindles. But he's trying to cut way too many properties with it.

A guy with a few accounts that is very carefull could get away with it long enough to buy a proper machine for the application.

JB217
06-12-2009, 05:03 PM
So im thinking this bob cat, fast cat pro with the 23 vanguard (61 deck)and the 3400 transaxles is a better buy than the fastcat(48/52) with the 19hp kawasaki? i like the 5yr 500 hr warranty that bob cat provides for home owner use and the 2yr 2000 hr for commercial. They cant be building anything bad to offer all that.

puppypaws
06-12-2009, 07:27 PM
So im thinking this bob cat, fast cat pro with the 23 vanguard (61 deck)and the 3400 transaxles is a better buy than the fastcat(48/52) with the 19hp kawasaki? i like the 5yr 500 hr warranty that bob cat provides for home owner use and the 2yr 2000 hr for commercial. They cant be building anything bad to offer all that.

I just talked with my dealer and he said the mower you are looking for with the 19 Kawi he could sell at $4900.00 with tax $5230.00.

This is very hard for me to comprehend, he told me he had sold 53 Bobcats in the last 2 weeks and had sold a total of 76 mowers this week. He had sold 8 Hustlers this week and was coming back from delivering a Super Z he sold late this afternoon, while we were talking.

GreenAcresLandscaping
06-12-2009, 08:57 PM
I called my dealer to get a price about the fastcat pro, and he told me stay away from the fastcats, he said they arn't nearly as good as the toro's and hustlers he sells. He said they ride rough and don't cut well.

JB217
06-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I called my dealer to get a price about the fastcat pro, and he told me stay away from the fastcats, he said they arn't nearly as good as the toro's and hustlers he sells. He said they ride rough and don't cut well.

Really? this is the first ive heard of this... sure he isnt saying it to get more..maybe say 2000 plus more dollars out of people? hopefully some fast cat owners will chime in here.

1st class grass
06-12-2009, 09:51 PM
I used to own a bobcat with the 18 or 19 horse briggs engine??(cant remember which) with a 52 inch deck.This was before the procat and fastcat..It was the best cut I seen between it and a friend that ran toros.It gave not one problem and like I said the cut was excellent!!!!! I will probably get another bobcat eventually.

JB217
06-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Thats what i hear 1st class..... i hear they throw down a decent cut.... Greenacres is the first to cast a doubt and id like to get more input from guys that run the fast cats.

JB217
06-13-2009, 10:45 AM
come on fastcat owners.....chime in here

Richard Martin
06-13-2009, 01:11 PM
This is a picture of it's cut from a job yesterday.

You may want to check the deck or something. You have something goofy going on with your deck. It look like you have some very bizzare cutting patterns in your grass. I believe a light stripe and a dark stripe side by side like that usually means the pitch is off or you're cutting too much grass off on a pass.

Richard Martin
06-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Opps. I think I see the problem. Too much overlap.

JB217
06-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Anyone with a fastcat out there??

kaferhaus
06-13-2009, 07:30 PM
We run both the predator pro and fast cats. Cut extremely well and have been extremely durable. Dollar for dollar the best commercial ZTRs you can buy.

JB217
06-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks kaferhaus... I really am looking at picking up a bobcat fast cat pro but couldnt understand the post(number 17 in this thread) with all that i have read. Thought i might have been missing something. I think his dealer was pushing higher priced mowers. Just like to get opinions before dropping 5000-6000 grand.

Mrplowcjc
06-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Are these available in 72" and how is the performance. What do they sell for.

1st class grass
06-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Thats what i hear 1st class..... i hear they throw down a decent cut.... Greenacres is the first to cast a doubt and id like to get more input from guys that run the fast cats.

The motor I had was a bit underpowerd but not as much as you would think. whith a 22 or 23 horse engine ill bet it would even be better.

Crosman451
06-15-2009, 11:49 AM
I purchased my Fast Cat now with less than 15 hours on it to mow my 1 acre lot. Have to say it's the Best mower I've ever owned!! Very pleased with the cut and quality of materials used in it's construction. I added the suspension seat as well.

ohiost8te
06-25-2009, 07:47 PM
I just joined this forum this week. I have a 6 acre parcel that I mow and came here asking question and looking for what to buy. All of my local buddies swear by their Bob-Cats. Most of them have the 52" or 61" and said it is the best thing they have ever purchased. Now, granted, I do not run a commercial company and I know very little about mowers, but these things are built tough. The warranties are great, my local store is pushing the Bob-Cats hard. They also sell Toros, Dixie and Scag. For the money, you cannot beat them! Mowed for the first time today, my yard looks amazing! I am rambling...from a residential mowers point of view....this this is AWESOME!!! $5100 out the door with a full tank of gas, extra set of blades and delivered to my door!

puppypaws
06-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I just joined this forum this week. I have a 6 acre parcel that I mow and came here asking question and looking for what to buy. All of my local buddies swear by their Bob-Cats. Most of them have the 52" or 61" and said it is the best thing they have ever purchased. Now, granted, I do not run a commercial company and I know very little about mowers, but these things are built tough. The warranties are great, my local store is pushing the Bob-Cats hard. They also sell Toros, Dixie and Scag. For the money, you cannot beat them! Mowed for the first time today, my yard looks amazing! I am rambling...from a residential mowers point of view....this this is AWESOME!!! $5100 out the door with a full tank of gas, extra set of blades and delivered to my door!

This is the exact reason Bobcat's sales are far, far ahead of all the top name brand mowers except Bad Boy. You bought an excellent mower, the only thing that needs some improvement on Bobcat is their ride.

Clean_Cut_Lawn_Care
02-22-2010, 02:30 AM

Regardless of the fact that they are good mowers or not. A warranty does not reflect how reliable something is. For example.. Kia offers the best warranty in the car industry and is the most unreliable car you can buy.

puppypaws
02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Regardless of the fact that they are good mowers or not. A warranty does not reflect how reliable something is. For example.. Kia offers the best warranty in the car industry and is the most unreliable car you can buy.

Let's think about the statement you made here a moment, how is a vehicle company going to offer the warranty Kia does and remain in business selling a shoddy vehicle? Their vehicles would be coming back into their maintenance departments for repairs as quickly as they are being sold after a certain period of time. I know nothing about a Kia vehicle; but I do know you want stay in business selling a vehicle that will not stand up to a warranty the company devised. The American way is to build any and everything where it starts costing the owner money after the warranty or guarantee no longer provides coverage.

pugs
02-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Are these available in 72" and how is the performance. What do they sell for.

No you would have to step up to a Procat or a Predator Pro for a 72" machine. The fascats are a smaller frame machine for the most part. I have not seen one of the new 61" models with the ZT3400's yet but they appear to be a bit of a step up from the 36-52 fastcats.

Grass Shark
03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
I ran one of those fast cat pros with a buddy of mine, They are great machines if you are on IDEAL turf. The slightest slopes and you will slide down the lawn, add morning dew to that and it can be devestating. I was on a lawn and turned and slid 5ft down the slope sideways and came within inches of going through the side of a car... very scary and i was crawling speed wise. That same exact lawn same spot on the slope, with the dew on it, I can go full speed with my mini z and never miss a beat.

My Redmax dealer sells bobcats and I asked him about the fast cat pro to see what he had to say. He told me everyone is complaining of the traction issues (what I had a experiance with) and he said the fast cat pro is a lot lower quality build then the bigger machines.

IMO for the money I dont think you can buy a better machine.... but I would spend a little extra and get something with tires bigger than the fast cat pros 20" homeowner tires.

KatKutter
03-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I have used these machines ever since they were ransome corp.. also sell the bobcats. If you are gonna spend 6 gs. I will put you on a pro-cat 52" with a suspension set and a 19 kaw. Major difference in the fast cat and the pro cat.. Pro gives you hydro gear pumps and parker wheel motors. low end trans axle are more home owner machines. 10cc then 12cc all the way to 16cc pumps with the predator pro. But the individual wheel motors and pumps seem to give much better service.

SouthSide Cutter
03-29-2010, 11:36 PM
I have used these machines ever since they were ransome corp.. also sell the bobcats. If you are gonna spend 6 gs. I will put you on a pro-cat 52" with a suspension set and a 19 kaw. Major difference in the fast cat and the pro cat.. Pro gives you hydro gear pumps and parker wheel motors. low end trans axle are more home owner machines. 10cc then 12cc all the way to 16cc pumps with the predator pro. But the individual wheel motors and pumps seem to give much better service.

I am pretty sure for a little more money you can get a ProCat. I bought a 27hp ProCat and a friend looked at it and wanted one. So we go back to get one and he bought the Fastcat with supension seat. Believe me they may be alright for homeowner but you cant believe the diff. side by side. Spend the extra money. And my Bobcat rides almost as good as my TT.

Grass Shark
03-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Talked to my dealer today and he said he can sell a pro cat dx 19 kawi & 10cc pumps for $5800 + tax, thats a real commercial machine

LoneToySoldier
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
I have an 09 FastCat Pro 52" 19hp Kawasaki. Its the only non-Husqvarna mower I have. Its been awesome. I mow an 11 acre gun club with it and a couple others. It runs exactly the same speed as my bro-in-laws 52" 20hp kohler-powered eXmark ztr. We mow in tandem on the ranges at the gun club and I stay right with him. I also do several small business lots, churches, and residentials with it. It fits on my 6.5x12 trailer with my 32" AND 48" walk behinds if the job I'm heading to a job that requires that much mowing power (Like the gun club). The belt setup is simple. Lots of grease fittings. Solid built reinforced deck. Its NOT a residential, it is a full-commercial mower. The 19hp Kaw is a great motor, not problems at all out of it. I gotta say its been an awesome mower so far. I like it really well. It rides good for the price, it cuts as nice as any machine out there. Just put quality sharp blades on it and it'll cut nice as anything else. I've had it in mud and everything else and haven't had any trouble whatsoever. I paid 5k for it, with some goodies. Could not be happier with this mower.

HenryB
03-30-2010, 08:57 PM
I have an 09 FastCat Pro 52" 19hp Kawasaki. Its the only non-Husqvarna mower I have. Its been awesome. I mow an 11 acre gun club with it and a couple others. It runs exactly the same speed as my bro-in-laws 52" 20hp kohler-powered eXmark ztr. We mow in tandem on the ranges at the gun club and I stay right with him. I also do several small business lots, churches, and residentials with it. It fits on my 6.5x12 trailer with my 32" AND 48" walk behinds if the job I'm heading to a job that requires that much mowing power (Like the gun club). The belt setup is simple. Lots of grease fittings. Solid built reinforced deck. Its NOT a residential, it is a full-commercial mower. The 19hp Kaw is a great motor, not problems at all out of it. I gotta say its been an awesome mower so far. I like it really well. It rides good for the price, it cuts as nice as any machine out there. Just put quality sharp blades on it and it'll cut nice as anything else. I've had it in mud and everything else and haven't had any trouble whatsoever. I paid 5k for it, with some goodies. Could not be happier with this mower.
How many hours have you clocked on it?

LoneToySoldier
03-30-2010, 10:06 PM
101. No issues so far.

stockie
01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Hey guys

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread or not. I just picked up a fastcat pro 52" for 4500. It has 51 hrs and Accelerator bagger. Obviously havent used it yet, but cant wait to try it. The only thing I dont like so far is bobcats website. Not alot of info. I want to look into the mulching kits for it. I have a small trailer, and limited truck space, so anything I can do to not have to haul grass would be great. It looks like they have a plate to block the side shoot, or a kit to block baffles. Has anybody used either? How does it work. My customers dont want a mess left behind, so it has to work well.

Thanks for any input

rreyn1812
01-07-2012, 07:48 AM
I've got a 48" deck FastCat Pro with the 20HP Kawa that I bought last year (about 15months old) and it now has 175 hrs on it. I bought it to do relatively small residential properties (around 20) in town and I've used it to also do a 4.5 acre property at times and have actually used it to clear a field of 6 inch high grass (just mowed it a couple of times). Cost - about $5,000.

Problems - ZERO. Gas useage - around 1 GPH.

Overall assessment - light weight, solid machine that has done everything I've asked of it and give a very nice cut with the G6 Gator blades. Put Mobil 1 in it at 50 hrs, change the oil every 50 and the filter every 100 hrs. Grease all zerks every 25 hrs. Don't think you can go wrong with this machine!

Luck!

P.S. Selling mine because I'm getting out of the smaller property work and cutting back.