PDA

View Full Version : Review of my new Kubota ZG227

Scagmower48
06-11-2009, 09:37 PM
After researching, thinking, talking, and more thinking about what zero turn to buy for the last month I purchased a Kubota ZG227 last week with 4 hours on it (dealers demo) for $7500. It now has 20 hours on it and this week I have cut in a variety of conditions with it. The mower is equipped with a 27hp Kubota gas engine, with a 54'' deck.

I almost did not buy this machine because I was concerned about the quality of cut. This machine cut awesome and I would compare it to the cut of an Exmark Ultracut deck. The mower cuts fine in wet grass to with less clumping than my Scag with the Velocity Plus deck. My Kubota with the Pro Deck cuts better than my Scag.

I bought the Kubota for a few reasons. The deck is shaft driven with a gearbox, and only has one belt to worry about, and its about and inch wide. I have heard theses belts last over 3000 hours. My mower is also equipped with a wet clutch to enagage the mower instead of an electric clutch. It enages very smoothly. The deck can be lifted using the hydralic lift, which comes in handy when going over curbs, roots, rocks etc. The Kubota is also a very short machine and the bagging unit is partially over the hood. The bagging unit does not require wheights which is a good thing. Less wheight the better.

Kubota also uses dual HST Trans instead of the conventional pump and motor design. (Not sure if there is an advantage or not.) The Kubota is really easy to service with all the filters in reach. Kubota also has greasable spindles (along with many other grease fittings) I would rather have the greasable spindles over the sealed kind like Exmark uses. This way I can make sure their filled with grease.

Also the drivetrain on the diesels and gas 200 series are the same. So if the diesel drivetrain hold up so can the gas. They are built like a tank.

The mower is really comfortable to operate. It has a wide foot panel, with an adjustable seat with arm rests. The steering is responsive and is not sloppy. The operator knows how much fuel is in the mower because there is a fuel gauge. The mower is also extremley quiet.

The only thing that i can find fault with mower is the gas tank size which needs to be bigger. It is only 8 gallons, and can't go 2 full days.

The Kubota has proven to me so far that it is a great machine, and I look forward to the 2000+ hours that I will be spending on this machine, confident that I have made the right choice. After comparing all the mowers, and being partial to Scags, buying the Kubota was right thing to do. I encourage anyone who is looking for a z turn to atleast look at the kubota. Any ?s feel free to ask.

Scagmower48
06-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I guess no one wants to hear about a Kubota

newtostone
06-11-2009, 10:49 PM
We love to hear it. Give us some time. Its always appreciated when someone takes the time to write up an honest review, its like having a friend that owns every machine out there when looking to buy a new mower.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-11-2009, 10:59 PM
great job! i dont hear anyone talk about the kubota gas jobs and i am glad to see we finnally have a review! i want to know the fuel economy by the hour if you could? i heard the kubota gas motor is the smoothest vtwin going! is it liquid or air cooled? does it seem to have more than enough power for deep grass while baging ? or wetter grasses. how fost can you take your bagger off? just the blower part, and if you take the bag hanger off how long does it take for that to come off too? i think that the wet clutch it a great idea!! it will last longer than any normal pto. how about the drive shaft is it long or short or lots of ujoints or is it a cv drive shaft style like a front axle in a car??? your mower sounds really well built i was interested in them while i was looking but i never got a chance to see one. let us know all the ins and outs!

Razorblades
06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
I appreciate the review. I like to read good honest reviews about all brands of mowers. Have you checked the amount of fuel usage yet, in gallons per hour. If you can mow 8 hours on 8 gallons of gas, that's 1 gallon per hour which is very good for a 27 HP engine. Do you happen to know how much torque that engine puts out? I read it somewhere and it seemed to be alot for that size gas v twin engine? You know, people talk about the toughness of the build of the Scag Turf Tiger and it is, but I looked at the Kubota ZD326 with the 60" deck, along with the Turf Tiger at the same dealer,at the same time and I thought that the Kubota looked to be heavier built of the two.

Scagmower48
06-11-2009, 11:06 PM
great job! i dont hear anyone talk about the kubota gas jobs and i am glad to see we finnally have a review! i want to know the fuel economy by the hour if you could? i heard the kubota gas motor is the smoothest vtwin going! is it liquid or air cooled? does it seem to have more than enough power for deep grass while baging ? or wetter grasses. how fost can you take your bagger off? just the blower part, and if you take the bag hanger off how long does it take for that to come off too? i think that the wet clutch it a great idea!! it will last longer than any normal pto. how about the drive shaft is it long or short or lots of ujoints or is it a cv drive shaft style like a front axle in a car??? your mower sounds really well built i was interested in them while i was looking but i never got a chance to see one. let us know all the ins and outs!

I don't Know it by the hour. I mowed 14 lawns yesterday, 12 with the Kubota and burned 5.4 gallons. Its not good on gas. Very smooth and quiet. Puts my Kawi to shame. It is air cooled. I did not buy the bagger yet. I will for fall but the blower comes off like an exmark's does. It is a short drive shaft with grease fittings Any other ?s just ask

Scagmower48
06-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I do not know the torque and Kubota's website does not state it either.

grassman177
06-11-2009, 11:13 PM
nice to hear, we hav ethe diesels here, but am very curious aboutr hte gassers. our dealer has told us to stay away from the gas, but never gave reason to why. they are nice machines and i am trying to see what they can do for when we replace our 54 inch machines we have now in a couple of years. thanks

Scagmower48
06-11-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't see a reason to stay away from gas when the gas have the same drivetrain as the diesels like a stated. Diesel isn't for everybody. I could not get a diesel because of the wheight on it. Instead of mowing grass I would be doing to turf renovations. I mostly deal with half acre lots and the diesel would not be good for that application. Also the 54 inch deck is a good size. 48 and 52 are too close together and 48 54 and 60 are evenly spaced. With a 54 you could fit through a 5 foot gate. A 60 inch could not do that.

doubleedge
06-11-2009, 11:36 PM

I have a zg222 (uses the same bagger), and it takes about 1 min to remove/install the blower. The bag hanger takes about 2 min to remove/install.

The bagger works great, but I have had to replace the plastic impeller a couple of times. When you do get the bagger, clean out the impeller housing often, stuff builds up in it and causes the impeller to wear.

tacoma200
06-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Great review! I would love to test one. I have started post in the past trying to figure out why they are not more popular Congrats!!
Posted via Mobile Device

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-12-2009, 12:02 AM
great info guys! they look like a great mower. when mowing do you try to go full speed or do you try to go as the deck can process the grass? will it bog when you hit really deep grass? and what is the deepest you have cut with it? have you mowed really wet grass yet and had to scrape the deck becuase of it?

it looks like it has alot of wiehgt on the rear wheels do you find it hard not to tear up any grass? or does it seems like it will go on a hill good, have you been on a hill with it?

integrityman
06-12-2009, 12:52 AM
I also demod a Kubota 60" with the diesel engine (23hp?).

I was extremely impressed with the cut quality. The clippings were very widely disperesed and did not clump. The wet clutch engages very smoothly and the machine is built like a tank. The machine left a really nice stripe. A striping kit would leave a really striking effect!

The shaft drive also has a host of advantages.

The biggest drawback I found was the stiffness in the hydro controls. I did not like this.

Ive demod Toros, Feris, Exmark...and by far the the directional controls were very stiff compared to these other units. (The Toro was feather lite and very nice!)

Scagmower48
06-12-2009, 08:53 AM
great info guys! they look like a great mower. when mowing do you try to go full speed or do you try to go as the deck can process the grass? will it bog when you hit really deep grass? and what is the deepest you have cut with it? have you mowed really wet grass yet and had to scrape the deck becuase of it?

it looks like it has alot of wiehgt on the rear wheels do you find it hard not to tear up any grass? or does it seems like it will go on a hill good, have you been on a hill with it?

The kubota leaves and acceptable cut at full speed with a few stragglers. I have not cut any deep grass just normal weekly cuts. The mower has not bogged down at at. I have mowed really wet grass the last 2 days and some of the mowing was in the rain. I have not touched the deck yet, maybe casue its new or maybe that 6'' deep deck has to do with something.

Scagmower48
06-12-2009, 10:53 PM

The machine has an extra weight on the rear. (Weighs about 40 pounds, I took it off to repaint so I know). This is my first z turn and have not had any problems with ripping turf. The few times that i did happen was because I was careless. I mow a factory with a steep bank that is 3-400 feet long. I brought my Scag on todays route figuring that I would need it but never did. The Kubota did just fine.

Scagmower48
06-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Another thing I was wondering is why there are not more Kubota users in CT. There are 5 dealers in CT, so it is not a lack of them. These Kubotas are reasonably priced. (7500-8000 dollars for a ZG227). You can't even buy a Scag Tiger Cat for that kind of money, and this machine makes that Scag look like a little toy.

Scagmower48
06-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Last week I ckecked the fuel consumption of this machine and it burns 1.25 gallons per hour.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-21-2009, 09:08 AM
thats not bad at all! thats probly alot better than most any gas powered mowers of that size

taterlawn
07-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I have a zg227 with a 54 pro too and love it, it is like a rock

Scagmower48
07-10-2009, 06:26 PM
How many hours on yours? Any problems?

taterlawn
07-12-2009, 02:26 PM
only about 30hrs. no problems at all yet, but I have used a lot of different brands of mowers in the past and will have to say that the zg227 is by far the most solid feeling

taterlawn
07-12-2009, 02:30 PM
and the deck is the strongest I have seen

TheOctagon
07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I think you should take some pics of the machine and the highlights of it. I wanna see that belt and deck pics and such

metrocane
01-07-2010, 08:44 PM
"I guess no one wants to hear about a Kubota"

scagmower48 - How is the ZG227 treating you now.

I want to hear

metrocane
01-07-2010, 08:58 PM
How are the anti scalp wheels working out for you. Do you run them on the ground or raise them. Do they produce an even cut on slopes. I do 1/4 to 1/3 acher lots that are poorly landscaped. Bermuda grass. I am thinking about getting a ZG227 because of the adjustable anti-scalp rollers

grassman177
01-07-2010, 09:01 PM
i would love to hear more now with more hours under your belt.

i would love to try one of the 60in gassers to feel the lighter mower out and feel how much more nimble it would be than the heavy diesels. the one thing tah sucks thouigh is they removed the ocilating front =end off the gassers. i dont agree with that at all. that is a great componet in how well this machine handles. anyways, tell us more and if you have some pics shoe them too

grassman177
01-07-2010, 09:03 PM
How are the anti scalp wheels working out for you. Do you run them on the ground or raise them. Do they produce an even cut on slopes. I do 1/4 to 1/3 acher lots that are poorly landscaped. Bermuda grass. I am thinking about getting a ZG227 because of the adjustable anti-scalp rollers

i can answer that for you, we have the bigge decks but they are not as efective on these series of kubotas as the decks are so overbuilt and tough the are too heavy and the anti scalp rollers actually scalp the ground clean clear of grass, especially if wet ground. you have to be careful.

the older series had a lighter deck(and did not cut as great as these) and they worked perfect on them. it may not be an issue with a 54 in deck though as we have 60s and they are heavier

Scagmower48
01-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Wow just browsing through the new threads and saw this. Didn't think it would appear again.

The Kubota now has 255 hours and is tucked away washed and waxed for the winter. I used it on 40 yards per week during the season. (sure beats walking them like i did w/ the scag)

My opinion about the Kubota has not changed, it is a great machine. The cut is good, with good striping.

I purchased a bagging system for it in december, which performed great, but I wish it was a little bigger.

The only problem I had with the machine was both of the mowing deck pulleys failed because they were never tightened properly from the factory. They were replaced under warantee.

I have mentioned before, the kubota is a durable, well built machine. But no machine is good with out the proper maintenance. I take extemely good care of it. Sometimes cutting service intervals in half. All maintanence is performed by me.

I would recommend this machine to anyone, and I would also buy this machine over again. I have never second thought my purchase. (It took me 2 months to decide what machine to purchase, thats 2 months of lots of walking i did not have to do but I wanted the right machine)

Scagmower48
01-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Forgot to add

the anti scalp wheels have never posed a problem. They are on the middle setting.

Grassman177, do the weight of the diesel ever detour you away from buying another?

Any questions from anybody just ASK!!!

doubleedge
01-07-2010, 09:46 PM
To those who don't have a kubota, the deck pulley thing isn't common; my zg222 with 250 hrs hasn't had a problem.

My mower had a recall on it's carburetor; apparently some were catching on fire. Have you replaced yours yet if your model is one that was affected?

EDIT: The 300 series gas mowers aren't much lighter than the diesel models; if you want to decrease weight, you would have to go with a 200 series.

Scagmower48
01-07-2010, 10:01 PM
To those who don't have a kubota, the deck pulley thing isn't common; my zg222 with 250 hrs hasn't had a problem.

My mower had a recall on it's carburetor; apparently some were catching on fire. Have you replaced yours yet if your model is one that was affected?

EDIT: The 300 series gas mowers aren't much lighter than the diesel models; if you want to decrease weight, you would have to go with a 200 series.

Yes your right the pulleys are not common. Someone was having an off day at the factory. My carburetor was not recalled.

As far as the diesels go I might consider a diesel in the 200 series, but I have no plans of buying a new machine in the future, afterall I bought a KUBOTA!

grassman177
01-07-2010, 11:35 PM
yes, really the weight was an issue this year, i hate to admit. it was a wet year.

but man do i love the fuel economy and the raw power of only a 26hp . it just clobers any grass you throw under it.

but market also determines what you will mow with and i am getting more and more to cut with smaller lawns i cant use these beasts on at all

Scagmower48
01-08-2010, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=grassman177;3350447]yes, really the weight was an issue this year, i hate to admit. it was a wet year.

but man do i love the fuel economy and the raw power of only a 26hp . it just clobers any grass you throw under it.

but market also determines what you will mow with and i am getting more and more to cut with smaller lawns i cant use these beasts on at all[/QUOTE

What do you notice in a cut difference in the old style deck vs the new style deck?

grassman177
01-08-2010, 01:08 PM
flat out cleaner cut and since the new deck is much deeper you can mow faster to achieve a better cut. productivity and quality is the difference.

but it comes withthe price of less vaccum for double cutting( you know how a deck sucks op clumps of wet grass) . that and the deck is so heavy like i said about the wheels digging into the ground when wet, but it is only extreme ditches and berms when turning, not regular forward motion with dips etc. you can work around it though, jut did not have to on the older decks.

metrocane
01-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I am sure the Kubota mower is good, but the dealers here and corporate are incompetent. So I have changed direction. Tell me what you think

I found an Exmark Lazer Z HP with a 46" Triton deck and Kawasaki 19 HP for $6500.00 drive out. It is a 2008 model with .4 hours on it. It has never cut grass. I cut small 1/4 to 1/3 acre lawns. Mostly Bermuda, some fescue. I don't have many bad hills, but they are poorly landscaped with lumps, valleys and dips. Is this a good price for the mower, is it a good mower, and will it perform well in my mowing conditions. I am in the suburbs of Atlanta Georgia. I would love to hear from Exmark owners and anyone with experience in my conditions.
Thanks

Scagmower48
01-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I am sure the Kubota mower is good, but the dealers here and corporate are incompetent. So I have changed direction. Tell me what you think

I found an Exmark Lazer Z HP with a 46" Triton deck and Kawasaki 19 HP for $6500.00 drive out. It is a 2008 model with .4 hours on it. It has never cut grass. I cut small 1/4 to 1/3 acre lawns. Mostly Bermuda, some fescue. I don't have many bad hills, but they are poorly landscaped with lumps, valleys and dips. Is this a good price for the mower, is it a good mower, and will it perform well in my mowing conditions. I am in the suburbs of Atlanta Georgia. I would love to hear from Exmark owners and anyone with experience in my conditions.
Thanks

It seems like a steep price for a HP model. Its not even full size, and its also two years old. I paid 7500 for a new machine with a 8 inch bigger deck and 8 more HP. Why don't you try another dealer. The Kubota dealer near me is a joke. They told me the kubota was no good and pushed me to a Scag. I went to a Kubota dealer 1 hour away and got better service.

Scagmower48
01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Reasons why I chose the Kubota over "OTHER" brands.

1. A gearbox drive setup instead of several belts for the mower deck. The deck does have one belt that is like an inch wide. They usually last at least 2k hours.

2. Wet clutch to engage mower deck instead of electric clutch. The wet clutch should last longer.

3. Hydrostatic type transmission instead of the pump and wheel motor type that everyone else uses. If this type of transmission is good enough to put in big tractors then it is good enough for my mower.

4. A hydrolic lift for the mower deck.

5. Greaseable spindles. (I like greaseing things)

6. Fuel Gauge

7. Didn't want a 60'' deck and I thought a 52'' was a little to small. Kubota is smart and makes a 54'' deck.

8. The total length of the machine is short, and also the bagging system goes partly over the hood. No other brand can compete with the length of the Kubota.

9. The price was also nice. I paid $7500 for the machine and $2050 for the bagging system. No other machine could compare for this price. Scag wanted $8400 for a Tiger Cub 52" with a little 23hp. This machine is like a little toy compared to the Kubota. Also scag wanted 2700 for a bagger.

I plan on having this Kubota for a long time, and it will last. (especially with the way I maintain things)

If your in the market for a lawn mower then don't buy a Kubota. If your in the market for a lawn mower that is built like a tractor then buy a KUBOTA.

Kubota's prices are also cheaper because they manufacture everything themselves.

Cutgrassfast
01-08-2010, 03:34 PM

It might be more common than you think. My 227 had the same problem (I think) with less than 5 hrs on it. I didn't look that close because I was so pissed at the time and took it back to the dealer immediately. If I remember correctly, there are 4 threaded studs or bolts that point up under the plastic covers on the top of the deck. There was not a single nut on any of the studs.
I wasn't sure if that would be a factory issue or a dealer setup issue.

If I get 250 hours without another problem I will be happy. I just pray I didn't get a lemon.

Scagmower48
01-08-2010, 03:49 PM
It might be more common than you think. My 227 had the same problem (I think) with less than 5 hrs on it. I didn't look that close because I was so pissed at the time and took it back to the dealer immediately. If I remember correctly, there are 4 threaded studs or bolts that point up under the plastic covers on the top of the deck. There was not a single nut on any of the studs.
I wasn't sure if that would be a factory issue or a dealer setup issue.

If I get 250 hours without another problem I will be happy. I just pray I didn't get a lemon.

Thats exactly what happened. I felt a vibration while mowing and caught it before the nuts backed off. The nuts loosening caused the pulley to wear.

ertb
01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
I have a ZG222 and absolutely love it. I tried the Scag and there features could not compare with the Kubota. Plus I got my Kubota for about $600 less than the Scag.

CTS
01-09-2010, 08:13 AM
I also have a ZG 227, 90 plus hours on it. No problems. Steering is stiff compared to others but you get used to it in no time. Anyone use blades other than the factory brand?
CTS

Scagmower48
01-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I also have a ZG 227, 90 plus hours on it. No problems. Steering is stiff compared to others but you get used to it in no time. Anyone use blades other than the factory brand?
CTS

The steering lossens up a little over time.

Cutgrassfast
01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Anyone use blades other than the factory brand?
CTS

I am curious about this too. Any certain blades recommended? Any certain place to get them?

grassman177
01-09-2010, 01:29 PM
finally, someone asks about non factory blades.

we use them, theyare oregon blades. theya re the low lift version of the same blade]\

i find i get better discharge and less deck buildup with these in most conditions. i use the high lift factory in the summer when things are not as tall or wet. hope this helps

i do however find i have to grind a little on the ends of the blades as they actually are just a hair too long, and hit each other. it sounds so much worse than it is and have to do this with alll non oem blades i have ever used.

Toad
02-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Welcome to the family scagman, now all you need to do is change your screen name. LOL

MJB
02-05-2010, 02:00 AM
I demoed several different ones and they all cut well, and climbed uphill and downhill well. My only problem was rutting, I have very soft spongy turf up here. Plus they were pretty pricey last time I checked. But I never doubted them as far as quality cut, and dependability. Congrats on your new mower.

Scagmower48
02-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I demoed several different ones and they all cut well, and climbed uphill and downhill well. My only problem was rutting, I have very soft spongy turf up here. Plus they were pretty pricey last time I checked. But I never doubted them as far as quality cut, and dependability. Congrats on your new mower.

Thanks, did you demo a diesel or a gas z

MJB
02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks, did you demo a diesel or a gas z

One of each, sorry can't remember it was 2008, which models 226 or 227. They were loaners while my Hustler went into the shop which was every month. I just felt they were to much machine for this soft sandy turf we have, but would be great for those on hard soil.

walexa07
04-26-2010, 07:11 PM
I could not get a diesel because of the wheight on it. Instead of mowing grass I would be doing to turf renovations. I mostly deal with half acre lots and the diesel would not be good for that application.

I do not understand this statement. From the kubota website, a zd221 with a 54" deck weighs 1224 pounds. The zg227 with 54" deck weighs 1199 pounds. Does not seem to me that 25 pounds would would make a difference in rutting or not. Unless the zg has wider tires or something else going on.

Only reason I say anything is because I am interested in a zd221 with 48 or 54 deck. Kubota has the lightest diesel that I know of other than everride........but everride does not show to carry a diesel any more.

Waylan

Scagmower48
04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
I do not understand this statement. From the kubota website, a zd221 with a 54" deck weighs 1224 pounds. The zg227 with 54" deck weighs 1199 pounds. Does not seem to me that 25 pounds would would make a difference in rutting or not. Unless the zg has wider tires or something else going on.

Only reason I say anything is because I am interested in a zd221 with 48 or 54 deck. Kubota has the lightest diesel that I know of other than everride........but everride does not show to carry a diesel any more.

Waylan

the 25 pounds will not make a difference. I was not going to buy the 21 diesel since I will be running a bagging system and feel the 21 might not be enough. The bigger HP weigh more. I will be considering a deisel for my next mower though. Maybe I should have bought the diesel, but the gas has been fine so far.

grassman177
04-26-2010, 10:33 PM
how do you like your mower so far man, we have the 326 with 60in and love them, very powerful(of course it is a diesel!) and stout. can be a little heavy though so for half acre lots it would not be a good choice.

rsp1961
04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I demo'd the ZD326 yesterday with the rear discharge deck, and I love all the extra features at no extra charge, such as the suspension seat with adjustable lumbar support (add'l cost on other brands), built in jack and free floating front wheels or change to fixed without getting off mower, hydraulic lift deck, quiet engine, and so on.

My concerns are that when testing it there were a few things off that dealer said were because assembler did not take the time to fix right such as rear drive tire being "out-of-round" causing it to bounce some. I don't want to get it home and have something go wrong due to assembler error, and have to deal with the time, energy and down time having to get it fixed. Kubota seems to have a Dealer issue, from past experience with tractors we have owned. Love the equipment, but something always seems to be off a bit when it comes to the follow through on the little things that can cause big problems. May be they hire cheap workers to keep costs down?

I am still seriously considering this mower especially at dealer finance rates of 0 down, 0% int for 48 months. They also have "bid assist" discounts for those of us doing contracts with NFP or Govt jobs. Scag and Exmark do as well, but they do not have dealer financing.

This would be my first deisel, but from what I hear they go and go and go.....

walexa07
04-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Bought a zd221/54 today and love it. Rides a little rough on my yard, but my yard is real rough. I also suspect the tires have a little too much air in them. Super smooth engine, deck engagement, etc. etc.

My dealer told me they come completely assembled. If there was a tire out of round I suspect that to be the tire mfg's fault.........or something like that. Any other problems you saw or just the tire?

Waylan

rsp1961
04-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I agree, very smooth engine and deck engagement, etc.. Steering was stiff and I was not sure if that was due to assembly error, being new, or just how the mower is made. Which deck did you buy? I like the rear discharge deck concept and think idea is great for all obvious reasons, but I was concerned about if or how that affected cut. Less lift? I used this mower to cut at the dealer but you can't really tell until you get it out in your own yards. Also, tried it on hill, and it did not hold a horizontal cut on the hill at one section and had to go back and do a vertical cut. I mow many hills.

grassman177
04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
they can be tough on hills due to the weight, i know as i am a hill master with them. the steering does get smoother, but takes a couple hundred hours. they are ultra responsive being a transaxel not hydros.

i would not get a rear discharge unless doing gov work alot with the machine, they will not handle thick or even close to taller grass well at all, none do.

our dealer support is impecable here and one of the reasons why(of course we love the brand) we have kept with them. find a better dealer if you can, we drive an hour to ours vs one 20 min away for the support, always the support!

rsp1961
04-29-2010, 11:07 PM
so you are saying they are good on hills? and you do not recommend the rear discharge? hmmm. I really like not having to worry about blowing into beds or hitting anyone or thing with discharge. I have an equal mix of residential, large parks, and lots of hills.

grassman177
04-29-2010, 11:22 PM
they are ok on hills if you know what you are doing, not bad, but def not great. too high of a center of gravity, but i cut some scary hills with it so......

i have yet to see any rear discharge deck do anything buyt create hay out the back end so of course not

rsp1961
04-30-2010, 08:34 AM
I am going to have them bring it out to the Park with the hills and tall grass, and see how it performs. That will tell all. Thanks

grassman177
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
beware the ultra stiff controls. it actually makes it difficult to operate for a while till they break in

ertb
04-30-2010, 07:20 PM
What dealer are working with ? I purchased mine from Tyler Brothers in Maryville.

Toad
04-30-2010, 09:19 PM
they are ok on hills if you know what you are doing, not bad, but def not great. too high of a center of gravity, but i cut some scary hills with it so......

i have yet to see any rear discharge deck do anything buyt create hay out the back end so of course not

Well said, once you get the feel for the machine you wont be afraid to take it most places. I am on crazy hills and sidebanks all the time with mine. Soft spots scare me more than any hill!!!! LOL

Grassman: what are you up to in hrs on your Kubota. 800 hrs here and running like new? I wonder what the most hrs is on some of these 300 series ZDs. Bought mine in 07 when they just came out so going on fourth season.

grassman177
04-30-2010, 11:41 PM
well, we deal with an Independance, MO located dealer called Odell tractor co.

they are awesome and have a superior staff and mechanics. they have a sister partly owned by the same family in Smitheville,MO. they both carry Kubota and then differ from there and combined they sell exmark , toro, wright, scag, encore i think still and walker. they used to sell everride and we have many of those and love them, but the distributor is rreally bac and they switched and no longer carry them(for now maybe!).

TOAD, what is up man!
have about 800 hrs on mine as well and are doing great and run super, but did have two of them within days of each other develop oil pan gasket leaks and were repaird b4 warranty was up. other than that, perfect. we lost some of the larger accounts i used them on so they are seeing less work this year and more stander work coming in so they will last us longer than expected year wise. we were planning on getting at least 2000-2500 hrs on them b4 selling and replacing these and they should have no issues doing so especially due to the diesels and oiver all build quality. currently we have never put more than 1200 hrs on one but then traded for newer and better(old zd21-old zd28-new zd326) but other Kubotra mowers have lasted than long with care and maintenance.

rsp1961
05-01-2010, 11:09 AM
What dealer are working with ? I purchased mine from Tyler Brothers in Maryville.

Same people. Never dealt with them before. Any insight? Which mower are you using? Any problems with this dealer for service or follow through?

rsp1961
05-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Toad, by soft spot do you mean you worry more about getting stuck in mud? The only machine I found that I dont worry about soft spots with is a WB.

ertb
05-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I went to three dealers in the area. They were in Athens, Knoxville, and Maryville. Two of the dealers had great prices over the phone but when I got there the machines had been in the weather and were faded and one was so bad,they were going to have to put new stickers in it. At Tyler Brothers in Maryville I called them up on a Saturday morning, told them what I wanted they had it new in the steel shipping crate. They worked right up til closing time to get set-up and ready to go. Great family owned business.

Scagmower48
05-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Just a little update to the thread I started.

300 hours and running excellent

The kubota bagging system also worked good in the fall and spring.

I got to change the tranny oil in 100 hours.

grassman177
05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
how do you like the kubota gasser so far as compared to other engines you have had on machines b4?

eagle107
05-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I saw your quote about the 21hp diesel vs. a high hp gas engine. I think the 21hp diesel would be enough hp for your needs, but it would not be bad to have a 23 or 24hp diesel either. Usually, diesel has higher torque than a gas with the same hp value. For example, take a Kohler Command engine at 22hp and a Kubota diesel engine at 22hp.

The Kohler engine will reach its peak 22hp at 3600 RPM but its only able to creat 32 ft lbs of torque at that speed. When put under a light load, such as heavier grass, the engine is unable to maintain its speed and will progressively slow down and loose power. The Kohler engine torque will only peak at 37 ft/lbs @ 2400 RPM where it generates 17Hp and slipping much lower will cause this engine to stall.

The Kubota diesel engine will give different results when put under load. Just like the Kohler gas engine, the Kubota diesel has less torque when running at full throttle, however the results under heavier grass loads are not nearly as dramatic. At a full 3600 RPM the Kubota engine has about ~37 ft lbs of torque which is still more than the Kohler can create. When the Kubota engine is pushed harder and slows to 2400 RPM, the engine will be at 19.5 Hp and 41 ft lbs of torque. Given the torque difference between the Kubota diesel engine and the Kohler Command engine, the Kubota diesel engine will take much more strain and even more strain to bring it to its knees.

Another issue that is largely ignored is the way in which these engines are rated. These companies realize that consumers are easily swayed by horsepower ratings and so they do their best to always stay ahead of their competition. Kohler bench tests using the "SAE J1340" standard which has no air cleaner, exhaust, charging, cooling or fuel pump. Once the tractor manufacturer (Scag, Exmark, Gravely and etc.) adds on the rest of the components a substantial drop in performance occurs that skews the gas engine specs even further. By using Kohler's bench test instead of real world performance the tractor company can make it appear as if they have more power than they really do. This is a very common practice and can be easily spotted on spec sheets where "As rated by the manufacturer" is in fine print. Kubota along with Yanmar (John Deere's engine), Shibaura (Case/New Holland's engine) and etc., used the "SAE J1349" standard which includes standard accessories needed for real world use. Going through engine performance data from Kubota would be what you find in a production tractor (such as there BX and L series compact tractors). You will also find that Kubota's 22hp and higher hp engines are actually capable of producing higher hp if its RPM's are further increased. The key to remember is that if you have higher demanding tasks to do with your tractor, such as cutting thicker grass, high/wet grass and etc., high torque is more important than high horsepower.

This is just my opinion.

grassman177
05-02-2010, 07:51 PM
that was a superior informative post

rsp1961
05-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Thank you Eagle, I agree with Grassman, that was an excellent informative post and very helpful for me. I had been wondering about HP and bogging, and without that knowledge, I had been leaning away from the Kubota diesel. Just wondering where Kawasaki engines falls under the testing guidelines. Do they test under real world conditions or do their own bench test? I currently have one mower with a Kohler 23 hp and it indeed does bog under light loads almost to a point of stalling. Also, thanks Scagman for allowing us to hijack your thread, it has been very helpful.

eagle107
05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
rsp1961,

Kawasaki uses the SAE1940 standard which states:

Peak Horsepower (HP) specifications for general purpose engines are calculated pursuant to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1940 for horsepower ratings - calculated with the air cleaner and muffler removed, per the SAE standard. Actual engine horsepower is lower and affected by, but not limited to, accessories (air cleaner, exhaust, charging, cooling, fuel pump, etc.), application, engine speed and ambient operating conditions (temperature, humidity and altitude). The reason for this standard is to provide consistent measurement to customers who may want to control the intake and exhaust features of the engine. (ml-small-engine-services).

So a 27hp FX751V engine net hp could be 25 or 24hp if not less. However, the bore on the FX751V is bigger than the FX730V 26hp, so you will get more torque out of the FX751V. Kawasaki's website only shows gross hp and torque. I would think the torque will be around 47 to 49 ft lbs if not less depending upon what the tractor company adds to the engine.

West1Mowing
05-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Great and informative posts Eagle!

The HP testing and rating system has not gone unnoticed by the lawyers either as there was a class action lawsuit that was just settled on the issue of HP ratings of several engine manufactures. Anyone that has bought a mower between January 1, 1994 and April 12, 2010 with one of the listed engines can claim their $35 for walk mower or $75 for rider. https://lawnmowerclass.com/

Your post just confirms that I made the right decision buying the ZD221. I have had it a week now and have not cut a blade of grass with it. Tomorrow is the big day and I have 4 properties to cut ranging from 1 to 5 acres. I plan on starting early so I’m sure it will be wet. Thanks to everyone that has shared their thoughts and opinions.

From what little I have driven the ZD221, on and off the trailer and around my yard, the steering does seem to be stiff like everyone has said but to me it feels like I have more control. I have been using a Toro Z master 62” with around 400 hrs so that’s what I compare it too. I will post more when I get some seat time.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
05-15-2010, 12:27 AM
I run a Kubota ZG222 with a 48 pro deck. It's an awesome Machine. I absolutely love it!

AVLC
05-15-2010, 05:24 PM
We also recently bought a ZD326 which is great except for the touchy controls. Plan on having it for many years to come. This is our third Kubota Zero turn. Our oldest one (ZD21) has about 3500 hrs on it but not sure we are on our second hour meter. These are indestructible we use it every day and haven't made many repairs mainly just general maintenance very reliable machines. Our other ZD21 has about 2500 hrs.

grassman177
05-15-2010, 06:56 PM
we used to have a couple of zd21 and they were very nice machines and very easy on the lawns and great traction. they however did not have a great cut, and seems like the prgression of better decks sure adds on alot more weight!!!! we have had kubota zd mowers since the first ones so i know all about each of them and loved my zd21.

we currently have 3 zd326 mowers and really like them

rsp1961
05-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I reeaalllly would love some input on the new rear discharge deck. Obviously the ZD series mower is top notch, but if the cut of the deck (specifically, the new rear discharge deck) sux, then the rest does not really matter. Anyone?

Maladjusted
05-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Complete newbie here (just registered today!)

Found this site googling "Kubota ZG227 reviews". Great thread! Lots of really good information that confirms I made a good decision.

I purchased a 2010 Kubota ZG227. I have 2.5 acres (1.5 acres around my house and a 1 acre field... soon to be a ball field).

I was mowing with a LandPride FDR1660 60" finish mower off the back of my BX23. PITA to turn around at the end of a run and around the house!

After researching every brand and my positive experience with my BX tractor I decided on the ZG227. (not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for!)

anyway... pick it up Saturday, I'll take some pics and post a review!

jaybuild
05-19-2010, 10:30 PM
It seems like a steep price for a HP model. Its not even full size, and its also two years old. I paid 7500 for a new machine with a 8 inch bigger deck and 8 more HP. Why don't you try another dealer. The Kubota dealer near me is a joke. They told me the kubota was no good and pushed me to a Scag. I went to a Kubota dealer 1 hour away and got better service

Who is a good dealer in CT? I am east of the river.

Toad
05-20-2010, 12:59 AM
TOAD, what is up man!
have about 800 hrs on mine as well and are doing great and run super, but did have two of them within days of each other develop oil pan gasket leaks and were repaird b4 warranty was up. other than that, perfect. we lost some of the larger accounts i used them on so they are seeing less work this year and more stander work coming in so they will last us longer than expected year wise. we were planning on getting at least 2000-2500 hrs on them b4 selling and replacing these and they should have no issues doing so especially due to the diesels and oiver all build quality. currently we have never put more than 1200 hrs on one but then traded for newer and better(old zd21-old zd28-new zd326) but other Kubotra mowers have lasted than long with care and maintenance.[/QUOTE]

I lost some larger accounts as well due to lost bids.

Thinking about a new 326 for next year. I want to sell the Cub with the bagger and go with the 326 with bagger. Did you see the new (catch all) bagger from Kubota, looks cool from the pic. I guess you can unload it from the drivers seat.

I hope to get at least that many hrs also before trading. I told the wife it was a (ten year mower) when I bought it so ya know what I mean. Kubota for me all the way. Love them diesels

Toad
05-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Toad, by soft spot do you mean you worry more about getting stuck in mud? The only machine I found that I dont worry about soft spots with is a WB.

Yup, thats it. Dont get it stuck, you have to use the truck to get it out!! I dont even try any more, just do the walk of shame, unhook the trailer and hook up the chains man. At least with the cub I can man handle it some and try to atempt to get it out. LOL

rsp1961
05-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Just bought the new ZD326 Tuesday. So sweet. However, I am having problem with the battery cover plate has come off twice already. Poor design of that since it is a PITA to put back on. You would think with all the time they spent with its special features they would have come up with a better design for something so simple. All in all...I love it.

grassman177
05-20-2010, 05:43 PM
how odd, we have no issues with ours, in fact i would say that we have the easiest time getting them back ON! ha

i never found them to be a bad design, however i can understand frustrations like that on machines. i like the covers, but yours is new and there are a few tiny cosmetic changes between those and the 2008 models we have. curious if there is any difference, doubt it, but ours are like a car battery cover and holder with the long rods with a hook on the end to conect to the machine, and the other end has threads and an nut holding a metal L shaped cover. try some locktight for the threads if yours is the same and i am sure it will stay on if you give it a good crank after application of that

rsp1961
05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Sounds the same, but one thing I found this morning when I wasn't hot and tired and sweaty was that the "L" wasn't fitting all the way into the hole, and required a little extra push to get it to snap into the hole. Once that was done, it tightened up and did not come loose all day today. I am guessing that was the problem and was probably just some excess paint blocking the hole or something caused during manufacturing. If that is the biggest problem I have with it, then so be it. Ran it pretty hard today and I love it.

rsp1961
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
My newest Spartan Chariot :cool2:

rsp1961
05-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Grrr....it came loose AGAIN!

Scagmower48
05-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I bought my mower from F and W Equipment Company in Orange CT. They were pretty good.

grassman177
05-23-2010, 11:05 PM
sorry, try locking nuts with nylon in them, and how are you getting used to the steering? it can be touchy when new for quite some time

rsp1961
05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
That's what is weird, it has the nylon threads. Taking it in today to have a few things looked at. As far as steering goes, it is a little stiff, but getting used to it. I love this mower so far. I love the power and torque in taller grass, and especially love the foot pedal deck adjustment to raise/adjust deck without moving. I have found that really helps in so many situations.

grassman177
05-24-2010, 09:48 PM
it does man, have them look at it, maybe they need to get you a new set of nuts, haha and the rods. who knows? the power is awesome and it "plows" thru tall grass with all the torque and being a pto wet drive also helps a great deal. they are heavy though and the only downfall of an otherwise bullet proof mowing monster

rsp1961
06-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Update: Service manager spent at least an hour out in the sun with me working on battery cover issue, and I think it is fixed. One of the problems was that the front wheel of our JD wb was rubbing up against it while on the trailer, but that was not the only problem. So he swapped the "L" bolts and made an adjustment to the "L" and that seems to have fixed the problem. So I cannot be happier with my Kubota and with the service follow up. It does seem that they are still hearing complaints with the stiff steering, as I too am having the same problem, and it makes it harder to load and unload onto trailer, but overall, the machine Rocks. Can't beat the power and performance on this machine.

grassman177
06-09-2010, 12:02 AM
pretty much, just really hate the wieght of it after mowing for 2plus years with it

john33
07-11-2010, 12:14 AM
hi i am john new guy to the site doing some internet surfing on this exact subject and here i go i got 10 pages worth of good reading! buy the way looks to be a very good forum glad i joined.

figure i would jump in here, being that i just got a good deal on a brand new 010 model (zg222) out the door for 5800, 1hr on it. picked up today and figures it rained so i could not get on and play with it. i like this unit all ready but looks like i will learn to love it from what i have red here. john

kubotafan
07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
The bagger works great, but I have had to replace the plastic impeller a couple of times. When you do get the bagger, clean out the impeller housing often, stuff builds up in it and causes the impeller to wear.

Has Kubota made any improvements to the plastic impeller? What drives the grass bagger?

Scagmower48
08-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Has Kubota made any improvements to the plastic impeller? What drives the grass bagger?

There is a double pulley on the right side spindle so that another belt could be installed on it to drive the bagger.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-25-2012, 03:05 PM
One of the best threads on this forum. I am negotiating with a gentleman for his 2011 ZG227 60" with 100hrs. I hope we can work something out.

Michael

farmershawn
08-06-2013, 01:15 AM
This thread heavily influenced my decision to purchase a 2011, 223 hour, ZG227, 54" deck today. $5,500.00. Some typical scuffs and blemishes, very clean overall. The owner just did the 200 hour dealer service, brand new blades at that time. Very well maintained.

It needs a new front/center anti-scalping wheel, it is pretty shot.

I'm gonna buy a bagger-system, lights, mulcher kit and maybe a canopy in the next couple months.

I'll be up first thing tomorrow, get it off the trailer and get to cutting.

I've got 4 acres of lawn to do.

I'm also going to use it every couple months on my two (2) ten acre cow pastures, and twice a year on my 20-acre hay-field.

The pastures and hay-field are very clean, no debris, pretty smooth, no hills, flat or gentle inclines.

I'm like a kid at x-mas, too excited to sleep, and want to get up early and go mow! :cool:

farmershawn
08-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Follow up to my previous post.

LOVE this machine. I've put ten hours on it.

Mowed about 4 acres of very clean and smooth lawn around the houses, shed, garden and driveway. No sweat. Beautiful cut.

Then I decided to do a bit of torture-test.

I mowed about a 1/2-acre in front of my barn. 6-foot tall pasture weeds. Thick, choking, Amazonian, deep jungle kind of ****. Felt like I should be riding an elephant and looking out for tigers. I set it on 5" (max setting) and had to let the mower creep through and rock it forward and backwards a bit to keep from choking it. But...I made it. Took a second pass of course, a third pass in some spots, but damned if it didn't get it done. I also did a little 2-acre pasture that had a 5-foot tall weeded center section. Once again, I crept through the first pass, then did a second or third pass.

I also mowed maybe 1-acre of one of my cow pastures with no problems. I'm gonna mow the rest of it tomorrow.

My hay-field however is too thick, thigh-high, too big, and I would have to creep the whole thing. I'm having a buddy of mine bush-hog it.

Incredibly impressed with this ZG227 beastly machine. :clapping:

postman
04-13-2014, 02:44 PM
that's a nice looking mower .looks like its put together well..may it last you many years.Thumbs Up