PDA

View Full Version : Tree and hedge job. Nathan's Lawn Service

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Recent job a few days ago. Had a few trees that needed to go. hedges that were way too tall and need o be trimmed back a whole lot. Filled my trailer with a lot of the mulch clippings. Took roughly half a day for everything. Went through 5 chains on the chainsaw. Glad I have my own sharpener for them. The best part was, I had a guy that wanted all the mulch for his garden. Cha ching no dump fee!!!

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Another part of the yard Day and night difference

Cuttinitclose
06-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Much better!

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 10:06 PM
last part of the yard. this was the toughest

billslawn89
06-11-2009, 10:07 PM
now that is smart thinking, as in using the chipper! makes the job alot easier! looks alot better.

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
now that is smart thinking, as in using the chipper! makes the job alot easier! looks alot better.

It would have been about minimum 5 trailer loads to haul away, this was cheaper, and much quicker also.

billslawn89
06-11-2009, 10:19 PM
It would have been about minimum 5 trailer loads to haul away, this was cheaper, and much quicker also.

i helped a friend of mine years ago when i lived up in ohio do something like this. he had overgrown hedges and trees and wanted to haul all the stuff down to his beach and burn it. i said to him that he was crazy, we would be cutting and hauling for days. i told him to rent a chipper. after the first load of truck and trailer loaded with the brush, he decided to get the chipper. lol got done in a day and popping cold one's that night. wouldn't do a job like this otherwise! rent the chipper and make it sooooo easy!

bighaydenslawn
06-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Looks great..... you are right, night and day difference!

That looked terrible before you worked on it! :clapping:

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, there is still more to come. She wants me to maintain the yard also, look how tall the weeds are around the pool and everything. Grass is 2 foot tall around the fence. There are plenty more trees in the back that need to be trimmed too. I told her that later we can do everything else once she gets her money rejuvinated. lol

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Im actually looking forward to doing more, that tree trimmer and clearing is fun!!

LouisianaLawnboy
06-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Is that the same chipper you lost the keys too?

Great job. The tree looked pretty good in 3rd pic, if I was customer I would have kept it like that.

Is that your helper in the pics.

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Ya, that is the chipper the keys rattle out of somewhere. Ya, that was my helper. He is a real good kid. He is fixin to be a senior, has about 5 yards of his own. very smart, works effeciently, and takes initiative. Wish I could find more people like him. he had to go to work at CVS right after we were done. He was tired

LouisianaLawnboy
06-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Ya, that was my helper. He is a real good kid. He is fixin to be a senior, has about 5 yards of his own. very smart, works effeciently, and takes initiative. Wish I could find more people like him. he had to go to work at CVS right after we were done. He was tired

If you don't mind me asking how much do you pay him an hour.

I have a neighbor/friend who is 2 years younger than me, and he is pretty good helper. The important thing is that is a helper and not a partner.

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, I picked him up at 6:15 that morning, we did not get started until 8. Work was all screwed up. Had to get him, take the trailer over there, went to Whataburger drive trhrough, go to the gas station, get the chipper go back to the house, forgot to bring ear protection for him, had to get that, came back to the house, and started at 8. We worked till 1. I paid for his breakfast and gave him 60 bucks. I thought it was sufficient. So, he actually worked from 8-1, with a couple 5 minute brakes.

mississippiturf
06-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Nice pics and a lot of hard work. Thanks for the post, but what the heck is going on with that roof line on the house? Looks like it was built with someone using a stick for a level.

LouisianaLawnboy
06-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Well, I picked him up at 6:15 that morning, we did not get started until 8. Work was all screwed up. Had to get him, take the trailer over there, went to Whataburger drive trhrough, go to the gas station, get the chipper go back to the house, forgot to bring ear protection for him, had to get that, came back to the house, and started at 8. We worked till 1. I paid for his breakfast and gave him 60 bucks. I thought it was sufficient. So, he actually worked from 8-1, with a couple 5 minute brakes.

Ya, thats about what I pay my helper. Trust me I've had some mornings like that.

I pay my helper 100.00 a week for helping 1/2 day and a full day. Of course it changes if we get more work or rain.

4.3mudder
06-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Nice pics and a lot of hard work. Thanks for the post, but what the heck is going on with that roof line on the house? Looks like it was built with someone using a stick for a level.

Ya, here husband dies a while back, the whole house is going to ****. She wants all that taken down too, another time she wants it done. She has a lot of work to do around there.

Ya, thats about what I pay my helper. Trust me I've had some mornings like that.

I pay my helper 100.00 a week for helping 1/2 day and a full day. Of course it changes if we get more work or rain.

That sounds ok to me. If they can operate a trimmer and edger I'm happy, if not, no go.

mowerdude777
06-14-2009, 02:12 PM
looks a millon times better

4.3mudder
06-14-2009, 05:10 PM
looks a millon times better

Thanks, hope to get the rest of her backyard in a couple m.onths

VirginiaLawnCare
06-14-2009, 05:16 PM
i helped a friend of mine years ago when i lived up in ohio do something like this. he had overgrown hedges and trees and wanted to haul all the stuff down to his beach and burn it. i said to him that he was crazy, we would be cutting and hauling for days. i told him to rent a chipper. after the first load of truck and trailer loaded with the brush, he decided to get the chipper. lol got done in a day and popping cold one's that night. wouldn't do a job like this otherwise! rent the chipper and make it sooooo easy!

If you don't have a truck big enough I could see doing that but me personally I would just pull the dump truck up load it all up haul it to the 50 acres we got and dump it back there. No way would i spend the money for a chipper, even if I was charging the customer.

South Florida Lawns
06-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Good work pictures. I like the idea of using the chipper too. Whats a little guy like that rent for the day? I see those all the time at home depot but I never rented one in fear that they wouldn't be strong enough.

4.3mudder
06-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Good work pictures. I like the idea of using the chipper too. Whats a little guy like that rent for the day? I see those all the time at home depot but I never rented one in fear that they wouldn't be strong enough.

Aww, for 24 hours it is 169, for 4 hours I think it is 112. Then, tax on top of that, and some kind of damage fee like 17 bucks, then they charge a 50 deposit for cleaning it up and refueling when done. This chipper I have used before, very handy, very easy to use, also, really loud.

david shumaker
06-14-2009, 06:06 PM
I use to look for that type cleanup work when I first started out. I did them by myself. I would cut everything one day and bring the chipper back the next day. I bought an 8" Vermeer Chipper like you rented.

I would rather do that type work than running from house to house cutting grass, but I couldn't depend on the cleanup jobs for steady income. Alot of the people that want it done aren't willing to pay much for the labor, time and equipment involved.

Sometimes it is easier to throw everything into a dump truck if you have a truck and place to dump for free.

I still do these jobs once in awhile if the price is right, but I don't waste time on looking for them. That property you cleaned up looks a whole lot better. Good job.

4.3mudder
06-14-2009, 06:13 PM
I use to look for that type cleanup work when I first started out. I did them by myself. I would cut everything one day and bring the chipper back the next day. I bought an 8" Vermeer Chipper like you rented.

I would rather do that type work than running from house to house cutting grass, but I couldn't depend on the cleanup jobs for steady income. Alot of the people that want it done aren't willing to pay much for the labor, time and equipment involved.

Sometimes it is easier to throw everything into a dump truck if you have a truck and place to dump for free.

I still do these jobs once in awhile if the price is right, but I don't waste time on looking for them. That property you cleaned up looks a whole lot better. Good job.

Ya, that is just part of property, there is still out past that further in the back. I really enjoyed doing this job, I hopt to get more like this in the near future. I thought about doing it that way, cutting one dasy and chipping the next, but, I wanted to just get it all done at the same time. If it were a bigger project, I woul dhave dont a 2 day thing instead. But, the yard still looks like a mess because the grass is tall around the fence and around the pool, the back part of the house is falling apart. But the lady was very happy with the job.