PDA

View Full Version : Got a bit lucky the past two days...

kaferhaus
06-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Yesterday while perusing craigslist I came upon an add for a "trencher for laying cable or wire $150" So I call the number, a woman answers and proceeds to tell me she doesn't know much about it but it says "EZ-Trench" on it and she "thinks" her husband used it for laying underground pet fences or cables or something... So I drive out there (quickly) and sure enough it's a J1000 EZ Trench with a Honda commercial motor. Looks a little rough, belts are worn etc. I lift it up and low and behold there is a 1 1/2" x 7" trenching blade on it (irrigation or whatever)... BUT it has the wide box blade cover....... which means all of the bedscaper blades will fit on it and work!

Oh and the muffler had a hole in it.... but it cranked on the second pull and ran like a charm.... Because of the belts and muffler I asked if she'd take $100 and the deal was done... as I was loading it I asked why was her husband selling it?...... she said "he's not, I am, he hasn't been home for 2 days, probably laid up with one of his girlfriends again. This tme it's going to cost him"....

Anyway it's a $2K machine new and you can rarely find a used one for under 1K.

Then today I stopped at a choke and puke to grab some lunch and bought a "shopper"..... little local classifieds rag that come out every thursday. In the "farm equipment" section I see a AD for a Cub Cadet 33" pro walk behind, "like new", $800. Well I have no idea what it is but think maybe it's the same mower that sears sells for around $1300..... NOT a commercial machine but I've been looking for something the guys can get through a 3ft gate for a few of the properties we have with huge backyards and only access for a small mower..... so I go take a look.

Yep looks brand new, 11hrs on the meter, electric start with the manuals, etc. I try it out.... it isn't "great" but cut okay and is much faster than any 21" SP mower....didn't like the handle bar controls as they're on top of the bars instead of below which makes it awkward.... dicided I could move them if the guys complain and offered the guy $600 for it..... had to go back to the shop and get the spare trailer to go back and get it...

When the guys got back this evening they turned their noses up at it at first but one of them took it out back and played with it a bit and then loaded it up on HIS crew's trailer! That almost caused a fight with some of the other crew leaders.....

It may last awhile or they may wreck it.... but for the price... I couldn't let it sit there.

The guy that owned it was out of work and had decided to get into the lawn business..... obviously it didn't work out for him. He had a bunch of other equipment there but I'd already frivilously spent $700 this week and the rest of it had no chance of lasting more than a few weeks or was just "junk"

4 seasons lawn&land
06-11-2009, 11:56 PM
lol! you couldn't have just given her a buck fifty... geeze.

4.3mudder
06-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Dam, those were some good deals you cam across. Good deal.

kaferhaus
06-12-2009, 12:03 AM

hey, ya gotta ask!

Obvoiusly I'd have eagerly given her the other 50 bucks.... I just wanted to get the heck out of there before her husband came home...

4.3mudder
06-12-2009, 12:03 AM

Luckily that guy who the trencher belonged to did not hunt him down

kaferhaus
06-12-2009, 12:09 AM

yeah, I'd like to be a fly on the wall while that conversation takes place....

"you sold what?, for how much?"

Just doing my part to keep harmony in that marriage! Likely they deserve each other but I really don't know the story...just her half of it which as usual is probably half true.

mowerdude777
06-13-2009, 09:36 PM
all I can say is Lucky

VirginiaLawnCare
06-13-2009, 09:51 PM
My find does not compare to yours but on my way to a new lawn i just picked up yesterday I noticed a toro 22" in the front yard of a neighbor for sale. Got it for 50$ and its nearly brand new.

THC
06-13-2009, 10:06 PM
One time I was at a garage sale and there was this elderly lady. A couple of the items I was looking at were WWII German Helmet and a Canadian Helmet. I didn't grab them

Half hour later I went back to buy them for $30 each but her husband was there. He said they were his from the War and his wife was stupid for trying to sell them. Poor guy only had one arm.

zturncutter
06-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Not yet he hasn't!!!

kaferhaus
06-13-2009, 10:35 PM
all I can say is Lucky

Yes, lucky indeed.

I do keep my eye on the for sale rag, classifieds and craigslist though. Maybe 2-3 times a year it pays off but the EX-Trench is by far the best "bargain" I've ever gotton. Especially considering it was on craigslist... most of the stuff around here that you see there is either overpriced or misrepresented in one way or another.

For every "deal" I've found I've been on a half dozen wild goose chases too... You know the ads, "excellent condition", "well maintained" and my favorite "several years old, but was only used once and put in storage" then you see the tire tread is worn, blades bent, seat torn etc.

I went to look at a ZTR last year that the guy advertized as only having 120hrs on it (3yrs old). Went to look at it and the tires had half the tread gone, seat vynil was thin, paint was faded and surface rust everywhere.... clock did say 122hrs but the wire going to the hour meter was still disconnected.... seems he forgot to hook it back up when he decided to sell it. The mower probably had closer to 1200 hrs on it and was running rich at WOT... so the carb was screwed up too. First time in many years I told a guy to his face that he was bold faced liar.... I shortened this story by a few hundred words at least...