PDA

View Full Version : Exmark vs Everride

MKVLawnservice
06-11-2009, 10:48 PM
My boss is considering two zero turn mowers for our parks in town, and he has asked for some input from the pro's. We are looking to buy a zero turn in the range of a 60" deck, diesel was first choice but budget won't allow. There was a suggestion to look at the Everide brand, and I suggested Exmark. Please offer any input on this decision with maintenance in mind, quality of cut, and durability. Thanks ahead of time.

Matt

Sammy
06-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Check out Grasshopper. Good machines.

djflats
06-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Not to steal the thread but...I work for an electrical utility and during the cutting season I take care of 30 something substations by myself. My boss asked me for input on getting a new ZTR machine since I'm the one that uses it 95% of the time. I looked on here for information and got a lot of help from you guys on here. I suggested a Hustler so I think he's going for a John Deere. What a j/o...why even ask? I just had to get that off my chest, sorry.:hammerhead:
Btw...nothing against JD...that was just my opinion.

Razorblades
06-12-2009, 08:18 AM
My boss is considering two zero turn mowers for our parks in town, and he has asked for some input from the pro's. We are looking to buy a zero turn in the range of a 60" deck, diesel was first choice but budget won't allow. There was a suggestion to look at the Everide brand, and I suggested Exmark. Please offer any input on this decision with maintenance in mind, quality of cut, and durability. Thanks ahead of time.

Matt

I'm sure that some will step up and relay the experiences they've had with both, but in the mean time,:confused:(where did that saying come from) i'll give you my opinion based on observation, demo time, research and close examination of both. I assume that you're talking about the EverRide Warrior model and a comparable Exmark model. The Exmark, with the Ultracut deck will leave a very clean cut with chopped up clippings and good dispersal. The triton deck (also Exmark) will cut good on some types of grass and just OK on others, and the clippings will be longer. The EverRide Warrior's deck is a "tunnel" style deck which will move alot of grass in a hurry, it will cut clean also and the clipping dispersal will be excellent but the clipping length will be longer than the exmark decks. I would say that most maintenance issues and serviceability will be about the same for either brand. Durability should be close also, I might give a slight edge to the EverRide but either should be fine. The EverRide does have a pivoting front axle that will smooth out the contours. It can also be pinned to make it fixed in place. the deck on the EverRide is attached to the front axle so it will follow the contours as the front tires move over them. the Exmark has a fixed front axle and the deck is mounted to the frame at the rear and hung from chains at the front. In a nutshell, the Exmark is usually considered one of the top mid mount ZT choices for users on well manicured lawns while the EverRides advantage would probably be on the biweekly or more overgrown commercial type settings. But either one would be good in either setting. The EverRide ill goe 13 mph while the Exmark models range between 10 and 13 mph. Both offer kohler and Kawasaki engines while also offering some Briggs engines, as well. If the dealer for both brands is good, I think I would lean towards the EverRide for your properties that you listed. Lastly , I would require that the dealer let me demo the mowers that I was interested in, if they won't let you demo, then I would take that brand off of my list. Also remember that you'll get alot more reccomendations for Exmark because alot more people have used them or know someone who has whereas the EverRides aren't nearly as well known by most and not as many have used them either. Hope this helps some

mowerdude777
06-13-2009, 08:32 PM
exmark makes the best mowers in my oppion

413golf
06-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Hey RAZORBLADES! That was what every guy looking for a zeroturn always asks and never gets an honest unbiased opinion.Too many folks on lawnsite are trying to to sell mowers instead of giving good honest advice. I've run exmarks and everrides and agree with you on everything you said.I cut 65 acres every week and find some great things about both mowers;I think most mowers today are built very well and it comes down to price,cutting conditions and DEALER SUPPORT.Everrides will cut in any condition and leave a decent cut! 1to 6 inches.I would give the edge to exmark for cut quality under favorrable conditions,but the everrride will do a better job in tough conditions.Anyway great advise,I guess you're not on commission Thanks for being unbiased

Razorblades
06-14-2009, 01:10 AM
No, I am not on commission or selling mowers, lol. Thanks for the compliment. By the way, if you've run both brands, do you think the EverRide is as durable as the Exmark?

413golf
06-14-2009, 03:11 PM
I actually believe it's a tougher mower with a simpler design.It's very easy to clean the deck after mower in the muck(I should get one of those mowers guys talk about that can go six months without cleanning,HA HA!)I've never had any problems out off them other than trying to run the briggs for eight hours straight everyday,The briggs is only good for a homeowners that mow a couple of hours and put it up for a week.The only problem with the Everrides is parts.if they would get parts and warranty work covered faster they would be able to contend with anyone.This won't be a problem now because New Holland picked up the mower and painted it Blue, also the Ariens pro zoom is an Everride with orange paint.I'm not saying kinda like it ,it is the Everride Warrior.The first Everride I had was abused;anything I could get under the deck got cut down,four foot bush or whatever,no problems other than the briggs mian gasket on the engine leaking no problems!!If I can abuse one that bad and it hold up it has to be one tough mower.So they got the name right WARRIOR for two-to-three thousand less it's a great mower. Mine ride as good as the next Leasr Z so I'm impressed,So your simple answer is yes, it's as tough

vanncann
06-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Exmark from my expierence, great warrenty and support. Depending on your dealer!??? Have owned around 12 and they are easy to sell and great to use.

413golf
06-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Hey I'll have to check out Newton,Alabama,The dealer here is great but his point is they do the work and cover it with the warranty but has a hard time getting reimbersed,and getting odd parts.It seems to be a problem somewhere on the distributer side.Your dealer probably stocks a few of everything. Anyway I will check out your dealer, Name?I bet New Holland will sell the Warrior for about 10900,I'm anxious to see their price on our babies,Mow On

vanncann
06-15-2009, 08:49 AM
The local dealer is't that bad, but they are in it for the money and they let you know that up front. Same as most! As for parts and service it sucks, they order tuesday and thursdays only, no loaners, and they put residential mowers along with comercial. No help for spending the money. The best Exmark dealer in the south east has been Underwood Small Engine in Hattiesburg MS. Very reasonable prices, and great service. Just 300miles to buy.

Storm the Patriot
06-15-2009, 08:57 AM
I tell ya, I have two everrides...and it seems every other week a belt is breaking...and it always happens at the lawn that is furthest away from the dealer. I dont know if anyone has had this problem. Whenever all of a sudden I cant engage the blades or cant drive the mower, I know its happened.
:angry:

TomberLawn
06-15-2009, 09:19 AM
I tell ya, I have two everrides...and it seems every other week a belt is breaking...and it always happens at the lawn that is furthest away from the dealer. I dont know if anyone has had this problem. Whenever all of a sudden I cant engage the blades or cant drive the mower, I know its happened.
:angry:

My dealer inherited the Everride line from a retiring dealer he bought out. He's sold several of them, but they aren't his favorite. He said one guy had replaced 5 belts on his in just a couple months. I wouldn't recommend one after comparing them with other mowers. Do you have any other dealers in town that you can shop around for other brands? Nothing wrong with an Exmark. They are pricey, though.

Storm the Patriot
06-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey Tomber Lawn-
Thanks for the message. I have two ever rides and one Bobcat. I have never had a problem with the bobcat, no replaced belts or anything...but the ever rides, like i said, over and over with belts being replaced...It is absolutely ridiculous...and very frustrating to be in the middle of a big lawn, and have that happen...I know you can imagine.

413golf
06-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I just changed my deck belt at 300 hrs,there was an update on the idler pulley that fixed the problem on the older generations.How old are these mowers?Are you using the kevlar green belt or an aftermarket.I had one drive belt break at120hrs and replaced it with a so called load rated belt which lasted 25hrs,so I put the right one on it and its
lasted180hrs so far.I wouldn't trust anything beside OEM or maybe Gates belts.other than that it may just be something going bad,I'd check that idler pulley they do go bad.Sorry you guys have had problems

MKVLawnservice
06-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful to my boss and myself.

Razorblades
06-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Are you going to be able to demo them?