PDA

View Full Version : Stihl or RedMax Trimmer

Synergy Ground
06-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Yes, I did search but didn't find any helpful post regarding these two brands. I currently run Echo Trimmers but I'm thinking of replacing them. Looking for a good strong trimmer with plenty of Torq. What do you guys recommend.

vateam
06-12-2009, 12:30 AM
I currently own a ECHO SRM-210 trimmer. I'm upgrading to the Stihl FS-80r. The echo has been "very" good to me but i hear great things about Stihl and have a dealer very close to me!!

CowboysLawnCare
06-12-2009, 12:33 AM
RedMax or Shindowa all the way! They are both built about the same way. I personally own all Shindowa equipment. I aint never had any problems with mine and everyone around here (Louisiana) would say the same.

BadRancher
06-12-2009, 01:00 AM
I love the Stihl FS-80. RedMax is also good. They are a light too.

fergman
06-12-2009, 01:19 AM
redmax has went to junk pal (gear heads).... have 4 i grease alot more than your supposed to and they still tear up in no time. take the gears out and youll see there made out of cheap junk soft metal. didnt used to be that way at all,(husquavarna) bought them out......
stihl would be the top choice for me [B]unless[B] you can get a shindaiwa. shindaiwa is the toughest of all from what ive seen by far.

birdman0494
06-12-2009, 01:42 AM
stihls got real good torque on the fs 90 shindaiwas got the speed feed head so its hard to decide

greenred
06-12-2009, 03:49 AM
redmax has went to junk pal (gear heads).... have 4 i grease alot more than your supposed to and they still tear up in no time. take the gears out and youll see there made out of cheap junk soft metal. didnt used to be that way at all,(husquavarna) bought them out......
stihl would be the top choice for me [B]unless[B] you can get a shindaiwa. shindaiwa is the toughest of all from what ive seen by far.

That is really too bad about the Redmax going to crap. I own 2 Redmax trimmers that are 9 years old and they are still going strong, never had to have any mechanical work done on them - still have original carbs. I just run Seafoam through them to keep their insides clean. One trimmer sat for 4 years unused and I put fuel in it and it started on the third pull. They are well balanced, light, and I rarely have to use them at anything more then slightly above half throttle.

My Stihl 4Mix on the other hand - I personally think compared to my Redmaxs its crap as a trimmer. Its not junk, its heavy, unbalanced, and the trimmer guard is fixed so you cant adjust the amount of trimmer line your running. I had a momentary brain fart when I bought it. If I bought another Stihl it would probably be a FS90.

How are Redmax Backpack Blowers holding up since being bought out? I have two of them as old as my trimmers and they are going strong too.

Lazer_Z
06-12-2009, 08:33 AM
That is really too bad about the Redmax going to crap. I own 2 Redmax trimmers that are 9 years old and they are still going strong, never had to have any mechanical work done on them - still have original carbs. I just run Seafoam through them to keep their insides clean. One trimmer sat for 4 years unused and I put fuel in it and it started on the third pull. They are well balanced, light, and I rarely have to use them at anything more then slightly above half throttle.

My Stihl 4Mix on the other hand - I personally think compared to my Redmaxs its crap as a trimmer. Its not junk, its heavy, unbalanced, and the trimmer guard is fixed so you cant adjust the amount of trimmer line your running. I had a momentary brain fart when I bought it. If I bought another Stihl it would probably be a FS90.

How are Redmax Backpack Blowers holding up since being bought out? I have two of them as old as my trimmers and they are going strong too.Not so, I have the guards on my FS 90 and my trimmer attachment for my KM 130 moved back. All you need to do is remove the 4 screws that hold the guard on, move it back 1 set of holes and reinstall the guard.

greenred
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Not so, I have the guards on my FS 90 and my trimmer attachment for my KM 130 moved back. All you need to do is remove the 4 screws that hold the guard on, move it back 1 set of holes and reinstall the guard.

Hmmm I will take a look at my 4mix again. Thanks :waving:

Wizz
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
If you want 'torque' then it's the Stihl 4 Mix motors...the 4 Mix motors have plenty of torque at low/part throttle and aren't as peaky as 2 strokes. My FS110 goes through stuff at 1/3 throttle. If dealer support is equal then handle each one and see which you prefer. If looking at Stihl the FS90 or 110 are popular/good choices, either brand should do the job fine.

76ranger
06-12-2009, 11:25 AM
I just bought the Stihl Fs110 and love it, Barely need to give it throttle to go through stuff. A little heavier then my previous 2 stroke....but i've already gotten used to it.

HenryB
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
fs 100 rx much lighter than the 90 and 110's. I've run attatchments for 3 yrs now no problems at all.

jkilov
06-12-2009, 05:48 PM
redmax has went to junk pal (gear heads).... have 4 i grease alot more than your supposed to and they still tear up in no time.
I have encountered the same problem, and I greased it regularly since day one, the guard was never taken off. To add, they want like $125 for the part so I'm retiring it this season.

Also:
- takes forever to warm up, anemic cold natured. Every yard all over again.
- likes to give me shocks when my hands sweat, done this since new
- a spec of dirt will clog the tank vent, surprises me every now and then

It's not a bad unit, I like the head, indestructible throttle trigger, weight and such. But it just isn't in the same league as stihl or shindy, at least the newer units.

mowerdude777
06-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Red Max all the way