PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with this statement?

HOOLIE
06-12-2009, 12:47 AM
This pertains more to guys that do mainly mowing...

"Almost all customers appreciate quality, however, very few are willing to pay significantly more for it"

Agree? Or disagree? When I say 'significantly' I'm not talking about $5 a cut more. I mean, if you're doing A+ perfecto work, can you command $45 for a $30 lawn? Is it worth your while to think you're a notch above everyone else, or do you just concentrate on quantity?

Runner
06-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Gotta rely on quantity. Our workmanship, for instance, is A-1 top shelf. The properties look flawless when we leave. However,...it is NOT a skilled trade, nor is it an actual licensed profession (other than the few municipalities that require their "licensing" which is a mere fee that is paid to operate in their jurisdiction). So, on that basis, if YOU don't charge the regular "going rate" out there for your area (which is the equivalent to - if not a few dollars less than what they were in 1986), then the people will be not long to find someone out of the other 13,000 in your area that also do mowing. Now, once in awhile, you will find someone who is grateful to just have someone reliable, and know they are getting a good job, and will be willing to pay that extra bit for that, but for the most part, there are dozens of other guys in every one of our areas that can do the same thing (excluding the guys that live in the rather unpopulated areas where there may not be that many lco's).

birdman0494
06-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Gotta rely on quantity. Our workmanship, for instance, is A-1 top shelf. The properties look flawless when we leave. However,...it is NOT a skilled trade, nor is it an actual licensed profession (other than the few municipalities that require their "licensing" which is a mere fee that is paid to operate in their jurisdiction). So, on that basis, if YOU don't charge the regular "going rate" out there for your area (which is the equivalent to - if not a few dollars less than what they were in 1986), then the people will be not long to find someone out of the other 13,000 in your area that also do mowing. Now, once in awhile, you will find someone who is grateful to just have someone reliable, and know they are getting a good job, and will be willing to pay that extra bit for that, but for the most part, there are dozens of other guys in every one of our areas that can do the same thing (excluding the guys that live in the rather unpopulated areas where there may not be that many lco's).

ehh i disagree with the abouve statement i know a lco that charges monthly the whole year he tells me thats the way to go if you want to pay your bills and he has roughly 65 account he prices the same as me for an example charge a customer 100 a month which would be summer pricing for me breaking that down to 25 a cut but he charges that amount during the whole year and its roughly 40 a cut after you factor winter so some customers wont nickle and dime you. It just takes a while to find them

Sammy
06-12-2009, 02:02 AM
birdman, down south, that may be. A lot harder to do up in Yankeeville.

topsites
06-12-2009, 02:49 AM
No, there's no way anyone's getting no $45 for no $30 yard, at least not in my book,
fight tooth and nail and $35 stands a chance but there's no guarantees either.
Might as well do it for $30, by the time it's all said and done...

But it gets to that point, if price is all the customer is after...
I'm not talking about the usual everyday shopping around, but the folks who flat out can't live without a discount,
and I give them what they want but now they start to wanting a couple more extras and I'm not liking it but I agree
and oh one (or three) more things plus five days, 2 visits and 4 phone calls later they're still not quite ready to say yes?

Right about then I've stopped caring, too.

supercuts
06-12-2009, 08:03 AM
i strive for quality, BUT, this is a business. we've found that most preffer it to look good at a good price if it means sacraficing a bit of quality. we go for the best quality while being efficient. if we ever get comments to do a better job we focus on those customers to go above and beyond and "adjust" their price the following year. they are more then willing to pay the increase when they know the quality is there

supercuts
06-12-2009, 08:07 AM
by the way its my oppion that a high percentage, say 75%, dont even really pay attention. only the few are after the perfect quality

kaferhaus
06-12-2009, 08:16 AM
The vast majority of people (I can only speak of my area obviously) just want the crap cut and looking neat. And those are the customers you can make good money on. The "full service" approach sounds all wonderfull and doing high quality work is great and something to be admired. But it often won't pay the bills, the difference in time it takes is almost never worth the little extra money you can charge.

Mow, blow and go is where the money is and it took my stupid ass several years to figure that out. It wasn't until I figured that out that my business started to grow in a meaningful way.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I would agree with your statement.
Not many are going to pay that much more than the going rate for mowing, even if you do a superb job mowing/trimming/edging.
I just spend a little extra time on my lawns because it is ethically the right thing to do.
Unless the lawns are really weed infested and not good looking to start - then mow and go.

Scagguy
06-12-2009, 04:36 PM
The vast majority of people (I can only speak of my area obviously) just want the crap cut and looking neat. And those are the customers you can make good money on. The "full service" approach sounds all wonderfull and doing high quality work is great and something to be admired. But it often won't pay the bills, the difference in time it takes is almost never worth the little extra money you can charge.

Mow, blow and go is where the money is and it took my stupid ass several years to figure that out. It wasn't until I figured that out that my business started to grow in a meaningful way.

Mow blow and go is what the majority of people do I believe. However, there is a very profitable niche in doing full maintenance service. It takes time to market and find those customers. You have to sell value, reliability and above all quality. We put those accounts on a balanced billed basis. Sure helps with the cash flow during the winter months.

david shumaker
06-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Same here. I try to do a decent job at a resonable price. If I had to take care of every minute detail in someones yard, I would be there all day and have to charge accordingly.

I have a few yards where I spend more time and charge a little more, but I haven't come across anyone that is willing to pay for "PERFECT". I try to strive for something like "LOOKS GOOD".

I think I could go to just about any yard, including my own, and find some little things that aren"t perfect or need attention.

I've had customers that want you to take care of every minute detail, but they usually try to get me to add it on at no charge. All the little add ons can add up to several hours per week when several customers are trying it.

Florida Gardener
06-12-2009, 08:26 PM
I have been in this business for almost a year and will share my limited experience. In my opinion, you have to find a niche and go with that. There is money in both mow blow go and full maintenance. You have to find out what the customer wants and go from there. I do agree that the vast majority want "looks pretty good" at a reasonable price. If you want to do the high quality full maintenance work, i think it takes a good while to find those customers but i think it is def. attainable. The one thing you cant do is give some that kind of work at the "reasonable rate." Esp. in Florida, full-maint. accounts are a *****. there is tons of plants that need constant trimming as well as the grass. It's a biatch. There are 3 areas in the county i am in(Palm Beach Island,Jupiter Island,Lost Tree Village) where there is nothing but the highest quality of service. These people dont care how much it costs, you just do it. I am still trying to figure out which "route" i want to go but just do the best possible job and get paid for it.

zturncutter
06-12-2009, 09:17 PM
I have been in the industry for over 30 years, both as an employee and as an owner. I have always sought out both high end and the mow blow and go. The best money for me, (dollars netted per hour) in the markets i have worked in has been the mow blow and go. Strangely enough they are usually the best pay.

birdman0494
06-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I think it depends on the area million dollar mansions where the neighbors hate each other strive to have nicer yards the the next guy

THC
06-13-2009, 01:04 AM
This pertains more to guys that do mainly mowing...

"Almost all customers appreciate quality, however, very few are willing to pay significantly more for it"

Agree? Or disagree? When I say 'significantly' I'm not talking about $5 a cut more. I mean, if you're doing A+ perfecto work, can you command $45 for a $30 lawn? Is it worth your while to think you're a notch above everyone else, or do you just concentrate on quantity?

In mainly mowing, I agree because how good can you really cut the lawn better then me? It's just mowing.

Frankly, I'd be the same way. $15 bucks a week adds up.

yamadooski
06-13-2009, 07:14 AM
I for the most part agree with everyone except "Birdman".
You said you charge 100 a month and the was for the summer for you and that breaks down to 25 per cut.
That is incorrect. What about the months that have 5 cuts? There is no mothhs with only 3 cuts to make up the difference. Now you cheated yourself out of 25.