PDA

View Full Version : Removing Sod and Regrading

rrunchey
06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Over the last week I have installed a vinyl privacy fence around my backyard. As a result of the ground not being level I have some areas I need to regrade to make the fence look good and also to allow one of the doors to work. The areas I need to regrade are not huge. In one area I have to raise the grade and in the other I have to lower it. Here is my plan to do it.

Rent a sod cutter and remove the sod from the area that needs to be lowered, maybe around 200 sq feet. Take the dirt from that area and place it in storage area. Regrade the area to the right height and relay the sod.

Now cut the other area and remove the sod, about 100 square feet, take the dirt in storage and add to area. Regrade to correct height and relay sod.

Water both areas twice/day until reestablished.

The sod is about four years old.

Am I crazy to think this will work? Any suggestions would be helpful. I saw an older post on this topic but the sod was only three weeks old and he was redoing the whole lawn.

Smallaxe
06-12-2009, 05:25 PM
No reason it shouldn't work.

rrunchey
06-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Would I be nuts for trying to remove the sod with a manual sod cutter vs. a gas powered version? It will be about 400 to 500 sq feet. I have never used either but the manual cutter seemed a lot easier to transport as I don't own a truck and I tired of having to borrow my brother in laws truck.

Thanks

RAlmaroad
06-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Those manual cutters will work you so much that you will not be able to lift a shovel. Stay with the gas powered one. 500sf. doesn't seem like much but cutting out then replacing and getting the water on it is a good day.