PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished.......

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Couple pics.....

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-12-2009, 06:40 PM
And................

Junior M
06-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Where are you located in Columbus? Or where do you work? I grew up outside of Columbus in Granville...

Btw, I love the work!

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Yeah, This is in New Albany between Columbus and Granville.

Thanks!

Junior M
06-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, This is in New Albany between Columbus and Granville.

Thanks!
Yeah, I know where New Albany is. I've still got family inbetween Johnstown(if you know where thats at) and Newark..

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Oh yeah! I've got some friends in Johnstown....

Junior M
06-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Oh yeah! I've got some friends in Johnstown....
Awesome, I know a few people. My Dad actually grew up in Johnstown. If you were around the building market in the 90's you might have heard of my Dads business, Ernie Mankins Construction. Shoot, you might know him..

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Yep, heard of him, don't know him....

Junior M
06-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Yep, heard of him, don't know him....
Holy crap, thats kinda creepy.. :laugh: But cool..

soopa
06-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Awesome. Beautiful. What is the block, Keystone? Did you do the carpentry? How's the pergola tied to the columns?

Good to see a large project this year!

DVS Hardscaper
06-12-2009, 11:26 PM
The workmanship looks nice, but man-o-man, that block looks VERY Lego-ie, I don't like the looks of the block at all.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Awesome. Beautiful. What is the block, Keystone? Did you do the carpentry? How's the pergola tied to the columns?

Good to see a large project this year!

Thanks!
The block is Edington by Oberfield's (company in central ohio). It's like unilock brussels. Pergola was subbed out to a buddy of mine who needed some work. (i like to help the fellow workin man). The pergola posts are treated 4x4's that run through the columns and into the ground 3', and above the columns he just wrapped them with cedar.

The workmanship looks nice, but man-o-man, that block looks VERY Lego-ie, I don't like the looks of the block at all.

thanks and yeah, I've never seen any man made block that didn't look Lego-ie. You sound like the kind of man who likes real stone???
To-each-his-own......

DVS Hardscaper
06-13-2009, 08:35 PM
why is the lighting on the steps so close to one another?

wurkn with amish
06-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Pergola is sweet!
DVS those are the 18inch integrals with 2 lights looks like...
I'm not big on the oberfield stuff but whatever. Are they alot cheaper than brussells?

kootoomootoo
06-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Just my 2 cents but I have always found oberfields the highest quality wall (versalok) manufacturer I have sourced. Prices are the same.
Looks like washington pavers>?

wurkn with amish
06-14-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't mind the job, its very nice. do you have a good source for sandstone caps? I think capping everything off with sandstone would have made it look awesome. But I know there are always budget restraints.
Work is awesome, glad to know there are still companies in Ohio not cheating the customer.

capelawncare.com
06-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Looks great! Love the pergola. Not a big fan of block fireplaces, but you tied it all together well.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
why is the lighting on the steps so close to one another?

It's the Integral 18" light unit, it has two lights in one unit.

Pergola is sweet!
DVS those are the 18inch integrals with 2 lights looks like...
I'm not big on the oberfield stuff but whatever. Are they alot cheaper than brussells?

I get the Oberfield's Edington wall stone at about half the price of the Brussells

Just my 2 cents but I have always found oberfields the highest quality wall (versalok) manufacturer I have sourced. Prices are the same.
Looks like washington pavers>?

I don't mind Oberfield's, they're not the best but I can still build my customer a quality product and save them some money in materials using them. (and in this economy people like that) If they see something they like in another manufacture then I get what they want. But if it's not a pressing issue I'll use Oberfield's every time. They're local, and I like helping the local guy.
And yes, those are Washington pavers.

I don't mind the job, its very nice. do you have a good source for sandstone caps? I think capping everything off with sandstone would have made it look awesome. But I know there are always budget restraints.
Work is awesome, glad to know there are still companies in Ohio not cheating the customer.

Thanks!
I can get sandstone/limestone caps from Coffman Stone but this customer didn't want them. They wanted it all to match, so that's what they got.

bornawoodsman
06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm a landscape student who is aspiring to start my own business and for me it would be awesome to see the photos of the construction process. So if you put up more photos of another job, I would love to see the photos of the process.

soopa
06-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks!
The block is Edington by Oberfield's (company in central ohio). It's like unilock brussels.

Interesting. Ya, we use Brussels quite a bit. Big fan of the look. I've been wanting to try Keystone's Stonegate Country Manor (sold under Belgard and numerous other brands) which is similar but looks more like the block you used.

I wish we had a cheaper alternative to Brussels.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-16-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm a landscape student who is aspiring to start my own business and for me it would be awesome to see the photos of the construction process. So if you put up more photos of another job, I would love to see the photos of the process.

I really only have a couple of the construction process,(don't really have the time to take pictures all day) so it really wouldn't paint a step by step of how it was put together, sorry.
To be honest your not going to learn anything by looking at pictures anyway....... You need to get your butt out there and learn with your hands. Just my two cents, but if you love landscaping that much why pay some blowhard in a classroom when you could be on the job getting paid and learning the trade at the same time???? From my experience of dealing with kids fresh out of a classroom vs. dealing with someone who has real on the job experience. I'll choose the latter every time.

Interesting. Ya, we use Brussels quite a bit. Big fan of the look. I've been wanting to try Keystone's Stonegate Country Manor (sold under Belgard and numerous other brands) which is similar but looks more like the block you used.

I wish we had a cheaper alternative to Brussels.

Like I said before, I like Oberfield's. They're not the best, but not everyone can afford the best. So it works out well for my customer, for me, and my guys still have work, so it work out for them too.

You need to see if a local supplier in your area can start carrying Oberfield's. I know they're in six states. See if they're close to you....... www.oberfields.com

bornawoodsman
06-17-2009, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=Mid-Ohio Scaper;3047136]I really only have a couple of the construction process,(don't really have the time to take pictures all day) so it really wouldn't paint a step by step of how it was put together, sorry.
To be honest your not going to learn anything by looking at pictures anyway....... You need to get your butt out there and learn with your hands. Just my two cents, but if you love landscaping that much why pay some blowhard in a classroom when you could be on the job getting paid and learning the trade at the same time???? From my experience of dealing with kids fresh out of a classroom vs. dealing with someone who has real on the job experience. I'll choose the latter every time.

I have both experience and a piece of paper which many people like for credibility. You would be surprised what information comes out of photos. But I know what you're sayin' as far as time/production.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Has anyone used one of those "Big Green Egg" Grills, like what's in the photos?
The homeowner swears by it. He's from Georgia and tells me it down right popular in the south.......... Well I love to barbeque and smoke my share of meat. And yet I've never heard one thing about them till now!

wurkn with amish
06-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Thought it was a fancy trash can lol!

JosephLawnCare
06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Has anyone used one of those "Big Green Egg" Grills, like what's in the photos?
The homeowner swears by it. He's from Georgia and tells me it down right popular in the south.......... Well I love to barbeque and smoke my share of meat. And yet I've never heard one thing about them till now!

I thought that's where you put out your black and mild butts! Looks good,..... fruit loop.

PSUTURFGEEK
06-25-2009, 10:01 PM
The project came out nice, My only suggestion would be trying a different under the cap style light it took me a long time to find one that doesn't leave hot spots like the integral ones do. Also there is nothing wrong with being in a good landscape or turf program, it's amazing how much easier it can make life later.

bigslick7878
06-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Absolutely gorgeous.

More info on the arbor.

Did it come pre cut in a kit or was it all hand cut?

Only thing I would do differently is add a ceiling fan.If you can spend that kind of money to build that you can surely afford $500 for a fan on those humid nights!

jbbarnett
06-26-2009, 01:02 AM
The big green egg will put out the best food you've ever tasted. Its actually an ancient japanese style cooker. Very good able to cook low and slow as well as high temp. The ceramic is very thick so it maintains temps and is safe to touch even with an internal temp of 700 F.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
The project came out nice, My only suggestion would be trying a different under the cap style light it took me a long time to find one that doesn't leave hot spots like the integral ones do. Also there is nothing wrong with being in a good landscape or turf program, it's amazing how much easier it can make life later.

I agree those Integrals do get pretty warm. Landscape program????? What do you mean?

Absolutely gorgeous.

More info on the arbor.

Did it come pre cut in a kit or was it all hand cut?

Only thing I would do differently is add a ceiling fan.If you can spend that kind of money to build that you can surely afford $500 for a fan on those humid nights!

Yeah, I love that pergola! It was all hand cut custom designed & made. One of the cool things is when you are under it looking up it looks like an upsidedown boat haul.
They're going to do a full entertainment deal under the pergola next year. The plan is to hang a 42" flat screen TV on one of the posts, also speakers throughout the patio and a ceiling fan hanging off the pergola will be added.
Should be great for Buckeye football parties!!!!

bigslick7878
06-26-2009, 03:16 PM
I agree those Integrals do get pretty warm. Landscape program????? What do you mean?

Yeah, I love that pergola! It was all hand cut custom designed & made. One of the cool things is when you are under it looking up it looks like an upsidedown boat haul.
They're going to do a full entertainment deal under the pergola next year. The plan is to hang a 42" flat screen TV on one of the posts, also speakers throughout the patio and a ceiling fan hanging off the pergola will be added.
Should be great for Buckeye football parties!!!!

All hand cut....wow.

That carpenter has some serious skills and design ability.

Congrats on a great job all the way around.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-26-2009, 05:09 PM
All hand cut....wow.

That carpenter has some serious skills and design ability.

Congrats on a great job all the way around.

My design, his carpentry skills = one bad a** pergola! :)

Thank you very much.

Lite4
06-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Very nice project. Love the pergola, my compliments to the craftsman.

JosephLawnCare
07-21-2009, 10:55 PM
hey, that's the best looking thing on this site!!! Will you build one for me?

Mid-Ohio Scaper
07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
hey, that's the best looking thing on this site!!! Will you build one for me?

Patiosinstalled has some nice work on this site, but I haven't really seen any photos of cool jobs this year. Seems like just a bunch of people who don't know much about hardscapes asking the same old homeowner/novice questions.

When's the projected date of completion on your addition? I might have to swing by your house today and kick a couple back with ya and talk about bar stools and their many uses...........

Y2K
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
This looks fantastic!! What are the approximate dimentions of the pergola?

JosephLawnCare
07-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Patiosinstalled has some nice work on this site, but I haven't really seen any photos of cool jobs this year. Seems like just a bunch of people who don't know much about hardscapes asking the same old homeowner/novice questions.

When's the projected date of completion on your addition? I might have to swing by your house today and kick a couple back with ya and talk about bar stools and their many uses...........

Yea I know what you mean with "know it alls" on here. Why do you think I never post pics anymore. anyway, completion is just around the corner. Maybe within a month. The only delays now are the inspectors and their inspections. Avoid building a house in Delaware Co., if you can. But yea, swing by sometime.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
This looks fantastic!! What are the approximate dimentions of the pergola?

It's 15 x 15'