PDA

View Full Version : Blades won't engage

thinksnow
06-12-2009, 07:12 PM
I was mowing along and whamo out of the blue my blades disengage. I tried to get them to come back on but got nothing. The only symptom it gave was when I first started mowing and engaged the blades they wouldn't engage at the RPM I normally pull the switch at. I had to bring the RPM's way down for them to engage. I went underneath by the clutch and was looking around for trouble. While trying get the clip apart so I could check the voltage I managed to pull both wire out of the clutch. :hammerhead: One of the wires looked like it broke off in the insulation. I stripped them back a bit to put a meter on them. I started the mower and engaged the blades. I got reading of 14volts. So now I am stumped.:confused: Is my clutch bad or did I have a bad connection which I made worse. Even if it was as simple as a bad connection now I have to get the lower pully and clutch pack off in order to get the wires back in it. This SUCKS

WVDpoker
06-12-2009, 08:48 PM
The company I used to work at had a scag that if you disengaged the blades they wouldn't go back on. You either had to let the clutch cool down about 5 min or so or another trick was put throttle on low, then engage blades while you put the throttle back up.

Think Green
06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
ThinkSnow,
What I don't understand is.............WHAT type of mower do you use!!!????
My Exmark did this the other day........thought it was the PTO switch......turned out to be the clutch wiring. The lead wire snapped off in the housing. NEW CLUTCH!!
This is from overheating and mowing tall grass......to short and or running mulching kits on thick turf.

thinksnow
06-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Sorry, it's an 07 Ztwo also known Cub tank. Its sounds like I will be buying a new clutch. The mower only has 37 hours on it, doesn't that suck.

topsites
06-12-2009, 11:02 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

TomberLawn
06-13-2009, 12:17 AM
My blades shut off and on several times in a couple seconds today, so I got off and checked the wires. Looked ok, so I get back on and pull the knob again, but it didn't turn on at all. I happened to be within a short drive of the dealer, so I drove up there and one wire running into the clutch had come loose in the connector. Technician said it looked like it wasn't crimped good to start with and put a new 'pig tail' connector on. Runs good as new (and it should, with 69 hours on it). Could be the same problem yours has. I hope yours is as easy to fix.

thinksnow
06-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Well I dropped it off at the dealer today. They pulled up the sales reciept from when I bought it and suprise it's still under warranty.

goodgreen
06-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Yeah, I was just going to say - must be covered by warranty with only 37 hours...

ProStreetCamaro
06-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Glad its under warranty. Let the dealer deal with it.