PDA

View Full Version : Patio Base for Underneath a Hot Tub

Blmtlandscapes
06-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey guys, I'm doing a 650 s/f paver patio and the customer is going to be putting a hot tub in one section of the patio. My question is what should I do for a proper base under the hot tub. Can I just add extra crushed gravel or do you think a concrete slab needs to be poured? Thanks

punt66
06-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Your base should be the same throughout the patio if your doing all pavers. Since your in NH you need to go deep. At least 8" of larege process base compacted in lifts with 1" of bedding sand. A concrete pad poured for just the tub and a paver patio around it would be my choice but that becomes an issue if they want to scrap the tub later.

DVS Hardscaper
06-12-2009, 11:21 PM
We just do a typical base. No additional inches. This is because if the base is prepared correctly - all will be well. One thing to keep in mind is that with a hot tub - all the weight is evenly distributed. Just like puttin a water bed in a house.

Bru75
06-13-2009, 01:36 AM
I built one last year and the owner insisted that the tub be perfectly level so I poured a concrete pad under the tub, the rest of the patio was made with pavers and sloped.
If being level is not an issue, then I believe your paver base will be sufficient if installed correctly.

Hokie84
06-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I will be installing a paver patio that also includes a hot tub area. The area will be pavers also. Should the this area for the hot tub be perfectly level?

Bru75
06-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I will be installing a paver patio that also includes a hot tub area. The area will be pavers also. Should the this area for the hot tub be perfectly level?

You will probably be ok with a little slope unless the manufacturer of the tub or the owner says otherwise.

DVS Hardscaper
06-28-2009, 07:11 PM
It doesn't have to be level if the users don't mind all sitting on one side of the tub!!

Most manufacturers state the pad should be level.