PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Is Unbelievable At Selling Mowers

puppypaws
06-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I was talking with my dealer on his cell phone and he sounded like he was totally worn out. He was coming back from delivering a Hustler Super S he sold late this afternoon.

I could not comprehend the numbers he was running past me. This week he has sold 76 mowers, in the last 2 weeks he has sold 53 Bobcats alone. He is buying dealers stock left and right that are going out of business and giving people good deals.

He has a brand new in the crate, 60" Super Z, with a 25 hp Shibaura diesel he told me he would sell for $9299.00 if someone told him Reid Phifer said you would sell me this mower for that price.

The Bobcat factory called him this week and told him he was their largest dealer in the entire US. They said if he sold (I believe he told me 13) more Bobcats before the end of June, he would sell the most Bobcat mowers of any dealer in that time frame since Bobcat mowers had been in existence.

I don't know the exact number, but I would say he has probably sold somewhere in the 1000 mower range this year. He said it had been totally crazy with him buying inventory of dealers going out of business and moving the inventory so fast. He had projected himself to sell 1500 + mowers this year but he thought he would surpass that with ease.

When a dealer sells that number of mowers (several lines), he is well though of by his customers. People are coming from all directions to buy from him. One gentleman came from 75 miles away this week to buy a Super Z, and told him he save $1000.00 over any other dealer around that he had checked with.

I like to see someone treat people the way they like to be treated, and this dealer by far surpasses this definition. It is truly unbelievable what this one person accomplishes, you can easily understand why Exmark and Scag would give anything to have him selling their mowers and this was told by their rep.

punt66
06-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Not the kind of dealer i would like to do business with. How can he service all those machines? How could he possibly give good customer support. He is all about the numbers. I dont blame him a bit though. You have to choose a path and he chose numbers over service. Is it really that suprising that he is selling alot of mowers when he is so much cheaper? Its not the service. So he caries bad boy, bobcat, and?

HenryB
06-12-2009, 09:47 PM
What dealer is it?

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-12-2009, 10:06 PM
What dealer is it?

i second that. maybe when i go to buy another mower ill call him up!

tacoma200
06-12-2009, 10:10 PM
He has always been good at sales (puppypaws and I go back a bit). What do you think his secret is? We have a large dealer near here that sells Exmark, Dixie, Cub, Stihl, etc.etc. but service is horrible. It takes two hours to get through on the phone (lady told me that's all she did all day and I was her 100+ call before mid day). There is always a line at the parts counter and the guys behind the counter have an attitude and never get in a hurry. He sells a lot but 2 months for service is one reason Exmark isn't as appealing (nothing against Exmark, just the dealer). I have called Exmark to get him to try to live up to their pledge of service but 4-8 weeks is a normal repair wait.

lifetree
06-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Not the kind of dealer i would like to do business with. How can he service all those machines ? How could he possibly give good customer support. He is all about the numbers. ...

I agree, I wouldn't want to do business with him ... that's why I don't own Scag because the local dealer takes so long to get anything done !!

He has always been good at sales (puppypaws and I go back a bit). What do you think his secret is ? We have a large dealer near here that sells Exmark, Dixie, Cub, Stihl, etc.etc. but service is horrible. ... I have called Exmark to get him to try to live up to their pledge of service but 4-8 weeks is a normal repair wait.

4-8 weeks ... try anywhere from 6-12 weeks !!

puppypaws
06-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Not the kind of dealer i would like to do business with. How can he service all those machines? How could he possibly give good customer support. He is all about the numbers. I dont blame him a bit though. You have to choose a path and he chose numbers over service. Is it really that suprising that he is selling alot of mowers when he is so much cheaper? Its not the service. So he caries bad boy, bobcat, and?

Now, I want you to stop and think about what you just said, "he could not possibly give good customer support." He gives excellent customer support, by far the best I have ever seen. Why do you think he sells the number of mowers he does, to the same commercial accounts year end and year out. Do you think people would be coming from all directions to buy mowers from him if he could not provide support and have incomparable customer relations.

He has a tremendous number of large commercial accounts, now do you really think they would keep coming back if he did not provide excellent support. Saving 3 or 4 hundred dollars on a mower does not keep these type people as customers year after year, they must have someone they can depend on at all times.

He is able to sell cheaper because he is such a dominate dealer, and is causing other dealers to shut the doors, enabling him to buy their inventory at a big discount and passing the savings on to his customers.

The reason he is able to do this is because he is more financially stable than other dealers in the area. In other words he has made a great deal of money, enabling him to buy the inventory from mower companies he is putting out of business.

This is a dealer you can depend on more than you could your personal family, he is just that type person.

This is not a box store, he has 6 mechanics and 3 people on the parts counter with one person doing nothing but delivering and picking up mowers.

He sells Bobcat, Hustler, Bad Boy, Gravely, Cub Cadet, Yazoo Kees, Great Dane, EverRide, Kioti, Encore, Yard Shark, and Dixon mower lines.

He sells Stihl, Red Max, Shindawa, Kawasaki, Husky, Dolmar, Cub Cadet and Weed Eater brand hand held equipment. He has over 60 total lines of equipment he sells.

You would be fortunate in your lifetime to ever do business with a dealer of this caliber. I can promise if this dealer was in your area he would be pulling business away from the surrounding dealers to the point of putting them out of business and buying their inventory. The same as he is doing around the Charlotte, NC area, believe me he is not the type dealer most people have ever seen.

I would like to know how many dealers in the US sold 76 mowers out of one store this week, maybe none.

punt66
06-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Now, I want you to stop and think about what you just said, "he could not possibly give good customer support." He gives excellent customer support, by far the best I have ever seen. Why do you think he sells the number of mowers he does, to the same commercial accounts year end and year out. Do you think people would be coming from all directions to buy mowers from him if he could not provide support and have incomparable customer relations.

He has a tremendous number of large commercial accounts, now do you really think they would keep coming back if he did not provide excellent support. Saving 3 or 4 hundred dollars on a mower does not keep these type people as customers year after year, they must have someone they can depend on at all times.

He is able to sell cheaper because he is such a dominate dealer, and is causing other dealers to shut the doors, enabling him to buy their inventory at a big discount and passing the savings on to his customers.

The reason he is able to do this is because he is more financially stable than other dealers in the area. In other words he has made a great deal of money, enabling him to buy the inventory from mower companies he is putting out of business.

This is a dealer you can depend on more than you could your personal family, he is just that type person.

This is not a box store, he has 6 mechanics and 3 people on the parts counter with one person doing nothing but delivering and picking up mowers.

He sells Bobcat, Hustler, Bad Boy, Gravely, Cub Cadet, Yazoo Kees, Great Dane, EverRide, Kioti, Encore, Yard Shark, and Dixon mower lines.

He sells Stihl, Red Max, Shindawa, Kawasaki, Husky, Dolmar, Cub Cadet and Weed Eater brand hand held equipment. He has over 60 total lines of equipment he sells.

You would be fortunate in your lifetime to ever do business with a dealer of this caliber. I can promise if this dealer was in your area he would be pulling business away from the surrounding dealers to the point of putting them out of business and buying their inventory. The same as he is doing around the Charlotte, NC area, believe me he is not the type dealer most people have ever seen.

I would like to know how many dealers in the US sold 76 mowers out of one store this week, maybe none.

my dealer knows me by voice. Fixes my equipment for free and is a hell of a nice guy. So if your numbers guy came to town he wouldnt get my business period. A numbers guy can NO WAY match service with a good dealer.

Scagguy
06-12-2009, 10:33 PM
my dealer knows me by voice. Fixes my equipment for free and is a hell of a nice guy. So if your numbers guy came to town he wouldnt get my business period. A numbers guy can NO WAY match service with a good dealer.

They can as long as they have enough GOOD technicians to back him up.

lawnspecialties
06-12-2009, 10:50 PM
I would imagine there will be quite a few low hour Hustlers and Bobcats on craigslist in the Marshville area this fall. Sure, some are for current LCOs but I would guess the unemployment numbers have something to do with this thread. :waving:

lifetree
06-12-2009, 10:56 PM
I would imagine there will be quite a few low hour Hustlers and Bobcats on craigslist in the Marshville area this fall. Sure, some are for current LCOs but I would guess the unemployment numbers have something to do with this thread. :waving:

Most likely !!

puppypaws
06-12-2009, 10:59 PM

If he fixes your equipment for free, you must be married to him!

What has unemployment got to do with a dealer selling record numbers of mowers? How would this relate to this thread? :dizzy:

MOturkey
06-12-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm not there, but I have to agree that I don't see how it is possible for someone who sells mowers in the 1,000's per year, can possibly keep up with service/warranty repairs with 6 mechanics. My local dealer sells 3 brands of Z's, plus Honda 21's. I stopped there last Saturday about 30 minutes before the noon closing time. There were 5 people working the service counter, and the line was backed up to the door. I'm not sure how many full-time mechanics he has employed, but I am guessing 5 or 6, from the times I've been in the shop, plus he also has a guy that does gopher work and delivers mowers. I don't have access to the number of mowers he sells in a year, but I am pretty confident it is in the 100's, not thousands, and for commercial equipment, probably the low 100's.

If you purchased from him, he will get things fixed in a hurry, but there is currently a big sign behind the counter that says the shop is running 3 weeks behind, so if you just take something in to be repaired, you had better figure on 3 weeks at least.

If your guy can keep up with 1,000's of warranty repairs, etc, with 6 mechanics, and keep his customers happy, then more power to him.

topsites
06-12-2009, 11:32 PM
I agree, the secret is there is no secret, therein lies the magic trick.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-13-2009, 12:12 AM
does he sell large farm equipment and constuction stuff, or is he strictly lanscape comercial mowing??? i think thats great he is the best there is! your lucky to be his friend!

puppypaws
06-13-2009, 12:13 AM
If your guy can keep up with 1,000's of warranty repairs, etc, with 6 mechanics, and keep his customers happy, then more power to him.

Lets try and use a little common sense here, if he were not servicing his customers properly, word would travel in a hurry, would you agree?

Now, if you are not satisfied or getting good service from a dealer, you will be doing business somewhere else, would you agree?

They have been in business over 20 years, now for him to repeat these type sales year after year, you must contend he is giving exceptional service or his business should be decreasing, would you agree?

There are different management practices used in mower businesses all over the country, some are very successful and the ones that aren't close the doors. He happens to be one that is far ahead of other dealers in management skills and people like him very much as a person, he is good for his word in life and business endeavors.

This may be one of the reasons God allows him to be a super dealer with management skills average people are unable comprehend, just as some of you are unable to grasp.

does he sell large farm equipment and constuction stuff, or is he strictly lanscape comercial mowing??? i think thats great he is the best there is! your lucky to be his friend!

He sells Kioti tractors up to 100 hp or so, he sells so many things it is hard for me to know them all. I have also seen some fair size Yanmar and Cub Cadet tractors on his lot.

nosparkplugs
06-13-2009, 12:41 AM
A quality made ZTR should require little or no service for at least three years. I avoid dealers like the plague, I would rather have a dealer willing to supply me with the parts for free, and I can do the work myself, What qualifies as dealer work?, are we talking belts, a nut or bolt that comes loose from time to time, or major engine repairs; because some of you guys are total idiots, and can "F" a new ZTR quick. If I see a long line at our Dealership, I am back out the door, anything I need on my equipment can wait, if your observant most problems WILL give you plenty of fair warning, some choose to not familiarize themselves with their new equipment, and when trouble happens their like an old WOMEN ready to ***** & complain.

No one really works for free, a good dealer will make you "think" your getting something for free. When a dealer fix's a 10 year old mower for free, then you will have my attention.

TomberLawn
06-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Not the kind of dealer i would like to do business with. How can he service all those machines? How could he possibly give good customer support. He is all about the numbers. I dont blame him a bit though. You have to choose a path and he chose numbers over service. Is it really that suprising that he is selling alot of mowers when he is so much cheaper? Its not the service.

I can vouch for this dealer's reputation as well. Just to give you an example of how well he knows and services his customers, I've spent less than $2000 at this dealer for a walk behind mower and some parts and accessories. Any time I walk in the door to look at something or get a part, Chad calls me by name and asks how I'm doing. He even remembered that I was running a Ferris mower the past couple of years and asked me how it was doing. When I called to ask about a grass catcher (after calling several mower dealers in the area who had none in stock), Chad said to bring my mower and he'd find one to fit it. He walked over the "bone yard" of used stuff and searched the warehouse until he found a catcher that would fit the Ferris deck opening.

Keep in mind, these 1000 mowers are not all commercial, or all sold to LCOs. I know there are a lot of homeowners with large yards who buy commercial zero turns from Chad because they are such a better value than a Lowe's mower. With his prices, a commercial Bobcat is within a few hundred dollars of a residential John Deere at Lowe's or Home Depot.

nosparkplugs
06-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Their is a good markert for the high end homeowner's who has the disposbale income to purchase a high dollar commercial grade ZTR. Most will take above average care of these machines, most will mow the same 1-5acres their whole life, little or no abuse, maybe two operators, so in most cases their is little need for service beyond the routine PM's. Hence the need for a quality built ZTR, good service is easy when you are dealing with most commercial garde ZTR's.

I can vouch for this dealer's reputation as well. Just to give you an example of how well he knows and services his customers, I've spent less than $2000 at this dealer for a walk behind mower and some parts and accessories. Any time I walk in the door to look at something or get a part, Chad calls me by name and asks how I'm doing. He even remembered that I was running a Ferris mower the past couple of years and asked me how it was doing. When I called to ask about a grass catcher (after calling several mower dealers in the area who had none in stock), Chad said to bring my mower and he'd find one to fit it. He walked over the "bone yard" of used stuff and searched the warehouse until he found a catcher that would fit the Ferris deck opening.

Keep in mind, these 1000 mowers are not all commercial, or all sold to LCOs. I know there are a lot of homeowners with large yards who buy commercial zero turns from Chad because they are such a better value than a Lowe's mower. With his prices, a commercial Bobcat is within a few hundred dollars of a residential John Deere at Lowe's or Home Depot.

punt66
06-13-2009, 07:50 AM
If he fixes your equipment for free, you must be married to him!

What has unemployment got to do with a dealer selling record numbers of mowers? How would this relate to this thread? :dizzy:
I do most of my own repairs. I change the fluids, belts, bearings. Install my own add ons etc. But anytime i am in route and something happens like i get a flat, instead of going to the dealer for a new tire and going home to fix it. My dealer will sell me the tire, grab his jack and some hand tools and go out to the trailer and proceed to change my flat for free. I went in to buy a new trimmer because mine after 3 seasons was getting tired. So again he went out to my trailer and grabed the trimmer and tuned it up. Went through the whole thing in less then 10 min. Ran perfect when i left and i was there to buy a new one. Its good your dealer is so busy but i wouldnt spend a penny there.

viper00085
06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
To each his own in the dealership business. There are two ways you can semi-suceed: (as no one really gets mega rich in selling lawn equipment at the margins the manufacturers have us working on) little profit and alot of volume, or lower volume and decent margins (almost the same in the landscaping business im sure). Just think how many customers, deals, problems, etc he has to be invloved in just to make a little profit, were a dealer operating on normal margins and a smaller volume amount has a lot less headaches, customers and things to worry about.

. also just to put the business in perspective, new equipment sales equate to very little profit margin for a dealership on each peice of equipment(8-15% if sold at normal "promo/commercial user" pricing, even less if some one is giving stuff away). so most dealers, just like in the auto industry, need to have a good parts and service dept to help make the profit up, as thats were the good margins are. Same thing for the LCO's, maintenece and cutting prolly does not bring in great profit, but the irrigation installs, design installs, chemicals, seeding, etc bring the better margins.

as an exmaple said in a previous post, his pricing was amazing, almost xxx less than others... Well , yes he prolly is a good volume dealer for that mfg, so maybe they cut him an additonal 2-3% discount, so he might be able to sell things a little cheaper, but to be massively discounted, it usually means its being giving away with very little profit in it. To each there own, if the owners are succeding operating that way, great. But as you see, he has non of the top major lines (exmark, toro, scag, Kubota, deere, echo, etc) and theres a reason for that, those manufacturers maintain there dealer network very tightly, and will not let dealers cut the prices well below their suggested promo/commercial pricing on a regular basis. The dont want cut throat/give away pricing, cause it forces all the dealers to match prices and lose profit and money and this upsets everybody in the food chain. after all guys, i know as humans we always want to save money buying things, but its a business, the dealers have to pay people, bills and put food on the table just like you , so it has to be a mutual business relationship.

i always here the term "lowballers" on here, well it exist in the dealership world also! same deal, how many $20 lawn cuts do you have to do, to equal the guy cutting one high end account for $everal hundred dollars.

viper00085
06-13-2009, 10:42 AM
oh and there are some dealerships that sell 85-100+ big name units in one day to one customer every year, but even we feel the pinch of low margin vs volume on those deals as they are national fleet customers so the pricng is fixed (but we get rebates, etc back just like the car industry)... Thats a pretty good day, let along week/months when a few other big orders come through from other big fleet customers.

Grass Happens
06-13-2009, 10:43 AM
But as you see, he has non of the top major lines (exmark, toro, scag, Kubota, deere, echo, etc) and theres a reason for that, those manufacturers maintain there dealer network very tightly, and will not let dealers cut the prices well below their suggested promo/commercial pricing on a regular basis. The dont want cut throat/give away pricing, cause it forces all the dealers to match prices and lose profit and money and this upsets everybody in the food chain.

Russo's in Chicago sells Exmark, Toro and Scag, and they are vastly cheaper then the competition. Home Depot sells Echo, so I wouldn't consider them a "tightly" held dealer network. Kubota and Deere? Yes, that is a tightly held dealer network, so is Sthil. I worked at a dealer for 6 years, so I have a pretty decent idea how much that industry beat up it's dealers. Margins were sh1t, floor plan dating *could* suck, and some of the sales reps made used-car salesman look appealing. There were also some kick-but reps and decent companies too. But yea, other then the real big guys, most dealer owners are owned by their business, and don't seem to have a lot to show for it.
I would like to see this mega dealer,I would love to learn even a tiny bit on how he does it. I am a huge believer in exceptional people doing exceptional things, I've seen it happen enough.

viper00085
06-13-2009, 10:51 AM
yes, echo is the depot, husky is in lowes, stihl is in True value now, but the prices are set and sold at the listed "promo" pricing, same as you can get them in any good dealership. they dont allow the depot, etc to cut the prices much at all, maybe an occasional sale and save $10 bucks or so.. but none of them are giving the stuff away.

Grass Happens
06-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Stihl has always been available through one of the hardware franchises, or for at least the last 10 years.
I understand your point, but a lot of those manufactures get to dealers through a distributor, or at least used to, and perhaps the distributors simply didn't go with this guy before? Perhaps there were to many dealers close? Now he has gotten large with out them, so why bother? Perhaps those companies wont go with him because he is so cheap, I don't know.
I know the Bobcat distributor (puppypaws did day he was a bobcat dealer)around here (before the CGC take over) would sell to Russo's a 23HP 61" ztr cheap enough that they could sell it for less then what my dealer could get it for from the same distributor. I'm sure if we ordered 3 semi's of mowers at a time, we would have gotten a similar deal. Those other manufactures would probably do the same with a similar amount of guaranteed volume.

Mike Blevins
06-13-2009, 01:45 PM
A quality made ZTR should require little or no service for at least three years. I avoid dealers like the plague, I would rather have a dealer willing to supply me with the parts for free, and I can do the work myself, What qualifies as dealer work?, are we talking belts, a nut or bolt that comes loose from time to time, or major engine repairs; because some of you guys are total idiots, and can "F" a new ZTR quick. If I see a long line at our Dealership, I am back out the door, anything I need on my equipment can wait, if your observant most problems WILL give you plenty of fair warning, some choose to not familiarize themselves with their new equipment, and when trouble happens their like an old WOMEN ready to ***** & complain.

No one really works for free, a good dealer will make you "think" your getting something for free. When a dealer fix's a 10 year old mower for free, then you will have my attention.

Let me first say that this post really gets under my skin nosparkpugs. For you to get on here and call some of these people "total idiots" is just inexcusable! Just because someone takes their mowers in for a service you do yourself is no reason to insult people. Personally i take offense to your remarks and will tell you that they are NOT appreciated one bit. I usually like to get on here and "debate" with you on certain subjects and usually it turns into a good thread. BUT after this posts you can gaurantee yourself that what you say will go in one ear and out the other because you truley have showed your I.Q. this time. Bottom line is this, if someone has a different mower than yours or services their equipment in a different manner in which you do then they are "IDIOTS". All these people that have read your past post on here need to read this one to really get a grasp of your true self and what you really think of their opinions! :hammerhead:

puppypaws
06-13-2009, 02:44 PM
But as you see, he has non of the top major lines (exmark, toro, scag, Kubota, deere, echo, etc) and theres a reason for that, those manufacturers maintain there dealer network very tightly, and will not let dealers cut the prices

This statement proves you are only talking and not saying anything, Exmark, Toro and Scag have tried for years to get this dealer to carry their lines. I can give you the reps name and phone number to back up what I am saying, what kind of facts can you produce to back up your nonsense.

There is a very large John Deere and Kubota dealership within 10 miles of his business. The Kubota dealer lost his Scag dealership because of not selling their mowers. The local hardware company now carries the Scag line, do you honestly think they would not love to have my dealer selling their mowers instead of a hardware company that may sell 30 or 40 a year. My dealer dropped the Ferris line he once had because of poor cut quality, being over priced and did not sell well. The new model Ferris mowers are far ahead of the older models he was once selling. They tried to get him to pick the line back up but he would not, now the large John Deere dealer picked up the Ferris line and can't sell a JD zero turn mower. The JD salesman made the statement JD really screwed up with there newest mower and no one would buy them. JD is now in the process of designing a totally new mower in attempt to redirect their poor engineering in a positive direction.

You are saying, quote: "those manufacturers maintain there dealer network very tightly, and will not let dealers cut their prices." Is it possible for you to comprehend that may be the reason their sells are off greatly, and the reason Scag just closed one of their manufacturing facilities in NC. The companies you named would give anything to have this dealer selling their mowers. They realize even with there product not selling as well as Bobcat, Bad Boy and Hustler at this time, it would be good for them to have there mowers sitting on his lot because of the amount of traffic that passes through. This alone gives them a better chance of possibly selling a machine through visibility alone.

He does not want Scag or Exmark for the reason they are pricing themselves out of the market. He wants a good line, with product support, which Bad Boy, Hustler and Bobcat have and is second to none. He has made mention several times that Scag and Exmark were pricing themselves out of the market, he also told Hustler their price increases were coming too fast as well.

Your philosophy seems to be; it is better to gouge a customer on one sell and make a larger profit, than to help people out by saving them money, while at the same time putting 2 mowers in the field. Having more mowers in the field is only another common sense thought process of knowing there will be more money generated from service and parts.

lawnspecialties
06-13-2009, 03:01 PM

To start with, relax man. I don't care if the dealer sells 1,000,000 ztr's.

In this economy, are you going to sit there and tell me he's selling so many "record number" of machines because so many LCO businesses are booming? I doubt it. Guys are getting laid off with severance packages left and right. They figure this is the opportunity to start that dream lawn care business since they have money in hand and nobody else is hiring.

Like I said, some are for existing LCO businesses but I would suspect some are directly related to the unemployment numbers these days. Get it now?

puppypaws
06-13-2009, 03:57 PM
To start with, relax man. I don't care if the dealer sells 1,000,000 ztr's.

In this economy, are you going to sit there and tell me he's selling so many "record number" of machines because so many LCO businesses are booming? I doubt it. Guys are getting laid off with severance packages left and right. They figure this is the opportunity to start that dream lawn care business since they have money in hand and nobody else is hiring.

Like I said, some are for existing LCO businesses but I would suspect some are directly related to the unemployment numbers these days. Get it now?

I'm certain you have enough common sense to comprehend LCO's are not the only people in the world that buy zero turn mowers. The grass is still growing and lawn maintenance companies are cutting grass in the Charlotte, NC area the same as always. There are also homeowners with money that will buy whatever they like to cut their grass. I know one person (regular homeowner with 12 acres), that bought his second Ferris 5100 with the 33.5 Cat diesel because his son would not let him use the first one he bought. The unemployment numbers have nothing to do with his mower sales. If this were the case as you see it, then there should be other mower companies with record sales, but this is not taking place. There are a number of mower companies closing the doors (my dealer is buying their inventory), and there is another percentage that are combining stores, trying to keep theirs heads above water.

It is not in the least way directed to unemployment, so you are without doubt incorrect. The reason I can say this is because he has been selling numbers like this for many years. This is not the new kid on the block storyline. He sells more mowers than any dealer in the Raleigh area, which you are not far away from.

Now, to put this into perspective, I would say there could be some validity to your unemployment point of view, if he did not sell the high numbers he does year in and year out, for many, many years.

Just pointing out where you are wrong, if you cannot accept being wrong, I suggest you do not debate.

viper00085
06-13-2009, 04:23 PM
im not knocking the dealer at all, I was just explaining the different business approaches. I know who the dealer is and even know some people that work there . I have heard nothing bad personally about Chad, even he is a geat person to deal with from a customers standpoint. I am very familiar with the situation in that marketplace and all the mfg and distributor reps in the area being i worked in the charlotte market for years and still stay up to date as to whats going on there, so i know the true takes and history on everything from many sides invloved.

I know some of the reps would love to get there lines in there, because it would mean maybe more numbers for them, but lets not forget distributors/mfgs never lose money, they dont discount or get stuck with much. Once they sell it to the dealer its on floor plan and they get paid there full profit. Its the dealers who are now left to sell it to a customer and make money off it. Its the mfgs, dists and other dealers speaking up who wont let some of those lines in certain dealerships because of the potential issues that may occur. If I owned a dealership and I could get my hands on a major line, no matter the pricing struture I would grab it. It would bring in sales, service and parts no matter what because there are so many of them out there and people know them well. Theres alot more to the story some times.

As far as pricing, I never said "gouge or charge a high price" Its called selling the product or service at or close to the mfgs "suggested promo" pricing. Now thats not list price, its usually a discounted price for commercial customers so the dealer still makes a normal profit margin.

Not arguing, just discussing different methods dealers use to run there businesses and shedding some lite into the equipment industry for you guys .

jrz1
06-13-2009, 04:30 PM
what is name of dealer? I may swing by. I'm in Weddington.

lawnspecialties
06-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Just pointing out where you are wrong, if you cannot accept being wrong, I suggest you do not debate.

You know, you may be absolutely correct and I may be wrong. My comment was just an outside observation and a possible reason a dealer could sell so many machines in this economy.

Who am I, and why should I care? Nobody, and I don't. Your dealer, my dealer, who cares.

I'm sorry I made you so upset making a comment in a thread you started about your dealer. :waving:

lawnman_scott
06-13-2009, 04:46 PM
my dealer knows me by voice. Fixes my equipment for free and is a hell of a nice guy. So if your numbers guy came to town he wouldnt get my business period. A numbers guy can NO WAY match service with a good dealer.Fixes your stuff free????? Nothing is free, nothing......

W.L.M.
06-13-2009, 04:50 PM

I agree, there is a large scale dealer in my town but they are a bunch of pricks that just want to make the first sale and get you out the door. I go to a different smaller shop all the way across town from me to buy anything no matter if it is a 2 dollar part or a new mower. The extra time, gas, and money is well worth it to have the personable service and reliability.

puppypaws
06-13-2009, 04:53 PM
im not knocking the dealer at all, I was just explaining the different business approaches. I know who the dealer is and even know some people that work there . I have heard nothing bad personally about Chad, even he is a geat person to deal with from a customers standpoint.

If I owned a dealership and I could get my hands on a major line, no matter the pricing struture I would grab it. It would bring in sales, service and parts no matter what because there are so many of them out there and people know them well. Theres alot more to the story some times.

As far as pricing, I never said "gouge or charge a high price" Its called selling the product or service at or close to the mfgs "suggested promo" pricing. Now thats not list price, its usually a discounted price for commercial customers so the dealer still makes a normal profit margin.

Not arguing, just discussing different methods dealers use to run there businesses and shedding some lite into the equipment industry for you guys .

If you really know Chad, you know you have probably never been associated with a dealer that sells as many mowers as he does year in and year out, and has for many years.

You made the statement, " If I owned a dealership and I could get my hands on a major line, no matter the pricing structure I would grab it."
I was talking with Chad while he was coming back from delivering a new Hustler Super Z and he made the statement, "if someone tried to get me to sell anything else, it would be impossible, I do not have 1% of myself left to devote to anything." This is saying to you, Chad is doing so much business he does not care what line of mowers he could be given to sell, he does not have the resources left to humanly handle it.

I realize this is hard for you or anyone else to comprehend because you have never been associated with that type of high volume sales and customers to deal with. When you are selling and dealing with as much as you can handle, that is all you are physically and mentally able to cope with.

When you are selling 20 Bobcats to every Exmark or Scag you could sell and are pushed to the limit because you are also selling 10 Hustlers and 10 Bad Boys to each one also, he has no room left. Would you agree with this scenario?

If you know Chad as well as you claim, you would have to come in here and honestly say his sales and service is second to no dealer you have ever been associated with or known. Now, just how well do you know Chad?

W.L.M.
06-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Also a question, is "he" really in fact you puppy paws? Sure seems that way to me.

puppypaws
06-13-2009, 05:04 PM
You know, you may be absolutely correct and I may be wrong. My comment was just an outside observation and a possible reason a dealer could sell so many machines in this economy.

Who am I, and why should I care? Nobody, and I don't. Your dealer, my dealer, who cares.

I'm sorry I made you so upset making a comment in a thread you started about your dealer. :waving:

No need to apologize to me, I don't take this seriously, I am just a hard-line debater. If I can be proven wrong that means I will learn something, if not it means the other person will gain new knowledge.

You live in a good part of the world, my sister in law lives in Clayton and I own a house in Willow Springs.

Also a question, is "he" really in fact you puppy paws? Sure seems that way to me.

If you can explain what you were attempting to say, maybe someone could understand your cute statement. :confused:

DLCS
06-13-2009, 05:04 PM

Yeah, seems that way to me too. How many farmers would come on here and debate mower brands and talk up x brand, day in and day out? The farmers I know are all to busy and could give a rats arse about lawn mowers.

...and just why is the Puppy taking this so personal?

viper00085
06-13-2009, 05:33 PM
His sales numbers are great from every source i hear it from, my main point was to maybe shed some lite on the fact of why there great, pricing and his salesmanship. I kow he is prolly maxed out for what he can handle mentally, physically and with his staff and facility out there in monroe. Now maybe he is making good profit on the brands he is selling, since they are generally lower priced then scag, exmark, etc. I dont know, all of our locations dont handle those lines so I dont know promo prices, costs,, etc. but just knowing what i know in general terms of the idustry, dealers dont like when one gives away equipment to move a bunch of it out. It just hurts every one of us in the long run, and there should be enough of the pie to go around for everyone.

and its not hard for me to comprehend, beacuse i have and do work for dealerships that are larger than his business. We have won the awards, etc year after year, 20 Locations across the midatlantic and southeast, 200 employees, and very diversified in all things lawn & garden. I know what its like to maxxed out and wore out every spring..

puppypaws
06-13-2009, 06:29 PM
His sales numbers are great from every source i hear it from, my main point was to maybe shed some lite on the fact of why there great, pricing and his salesmanship. I kow he is prolly maxed out for what he can handle mentally, physically and with his staff and facility out there in monroe. Now maybe he is making good profit on the brands he is selling, since they are generally lower priced then scag, exmark, etc. I dont know, all of our locations dont handle those lines so I dont know promo prices, costs,, etc. but just knowing what i know in general terms of the idustry, dealers dont like when one gives away equipment to move a bunch of it out. It just hurts every one of us in the long run, and there should be enough of the pie to go around for everyone.

and its not hard for me to comprehend, beacuse i have and do work for dealerships that are larger than his business. We have won the awards, etc year after year, 20 Locations across the midatlantic and southeast, 200 employees, and very diversified in all things lawn & garden. I know what its like to maxxed out and wore out every spring..

20 locations, this is an entirely different story, how many single stores do you know that sells 1500 to 2000+ mowers a year and what brands are they.

Are you a rep by any chance and if so which mower lines?

Yeah, seems that way to me too. How many farmers would come on here and debate mower brands and talk up x brand, day in and day out? The farmers I know are all to busy and could give a rats arse about lawn mowers.

I like to argue, but I argue with facts, what brand am I selling today, if you have seen my preferences?

The farmers you know probably aren't nearly as efficient as I am. I have been doing this 45 yrs., so I guess you could say I pretty well figured out what works and what doesn't.

I really do this for the point of stirring up imbeciles such as yourself to get a heated debate going.

punt66
06-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Fixes your stuff free????? Nothing is free, nothing......

Oh yea. Why didnt he bill me? I try to give him money. You know what he has created by doing that? A loyal customer that buys equipment from there and only there. I dont even price shop anymore.

Lux Lawn
06-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Well the guy must be doing something right to be selling that many mowers. All of these new mowers will not need service either. He is probably making a ton of extra money on oil and filters and your basic tune up and maintenance supplies. Like someone else said a lot of guys will service their machines themselves.

viper00085
06-13-2009, 08:39 PM
PuppyPaws,

No not a rep just work for a large dealership and we do move a lot of iron. We do alot of the brickman, trugreen, valleycrest, uslawns, and many other med to big size compaines from VA thru NC with all there natl account and fleet deals plus our regular customers both landscapers and homeowners.

I dont want to stir the pot, im not into that hole fighting on the forums stuff, I usually come on here to lend some advice on tech stuff from my years of knowledge to help guys out when i can. but 1500 mowers a year, that just seems to high, but if its true, he really is moving some iron. So many units, i dont know how he gets them together with the man power he has. Even if its 21" thru ztrs together. Thats an avg of 125 a month. And no one location sells a 125 mowers a month in the slow season. So if you double it up to 250units/month in the busy spring months, thats alot for 6 guys to put together, plus do other service work,etc. it might be 1500 pcs of all equipment total?? I know for our orginization, in april we sold and registered 1227 total pcs of equipment between 6 locations that retail lawn equipment. Now thats 2 cycle all the way to mowers and includes multiple customers that get 40 ztrs, 30 turf tracers, 20-30 trimmers, etc on fleet deals plus all other sales. and it takes 6 nice sized facilities with approx 40-50 employees to do it.

Im just trying to figure out if he really is kicking everyones butt (possibly ours included!) that badly and some how getting it done or if its overinflated numbers or misunderstood numbers (ie: all equip sales)

by the way i am in no way heated, stirring up, etc. I like to talk business just to get info and others takes on it. info is always powerfull and a good learning tool. Thanks for the convo.

puppypaws
06-13-2009, 10:46 PM
PuppyPaws,

No not a rep just work for a large dealership and we do move a lot of iron. We do alot of the brickman, trugreen, valleycrest, uslawns, and many other med to big size compaines from VA thru NC with all there natl account and fleet deals plus our regular customers both landscapers and homeowners.

I dont want to stir the pot, im not into that hole fighting on the forums stuff, I usually come on here to lend some advice on tech stuff from my years of knowledge to help guys out when i can. but 1500 mowers a year, that just seems to high, but if its true, he really is moving some iron. So many units, i dont know how he gets them together with the man power he has. Even if its 21" thru ztrs together. Thats an avg of 125 a month. And no one location sells a 125 mowers a month in the slow season. So if you double it up to 250units/month in the busy spring months, thats alot for 6 guys to put together, plus do other service work,etc. it might be 1500 pcs of all equipment total?? I know for our orginization, in april we sold and registered 1227 total pcs of equipment between 6 locations that retail lawn equipment. Now thats 2 cycle all the way to mowers and includes multiple customers that get 40 ztrs, 30 turf tracers, 20-30 trimmers, etc on fleet deals plus all other sales. and it takes 6 nice sized facilities with approx 40-50 employees to do it.

Im just trying to figure out if he really is kicking everyones butt (possibly ours included!) that badly and some how getting it done or if its overinflated numbers or misunderstood numbers (ie: all equip sales)

by the way i am in no way heated, stirring up, etc. I like to talk business just to get info and others takes on it. info is always powerfull and a good learning tool. Thanks for the convo.

I only know what I have been told, I will try and get some exact numbers. He told me earlier he expected to sell 1500 this year, and if he was talking about anything other than mowers, I am not aware. I will attempt to find out how many and what kind, it is kind of interesting for me to know as well.

Oh no, he might call you stupid now.

No more name calling and I will apologize for the statement if you were offended.

djagusch
06-13-2009, 11:31 PM
How many mowers does he have on hand and in crates?

puppypaws
06-14-2009, 12:00 AM
How many mowers does he have on hand and in crates?

I don't have a clue, I know he has a tremendous warehouse and I remember him saying he got 4 tractor trailer loads of nothing but Bobcats two weeks ago. I also heard him say he had sold a big number of Bad Boy mowers because he only had 3 left Friday. I told him they were cutting the numbers down they were behind on the assembly line, when I talked with them in the middle of the week they were only 300 behind. They said the assembly line was behind 750 a couple of weeks back.

It seems like overnight Bad Boy went from no problems with supply to the point of not being able to keep up.

W.L.M.
06-14-2009, 12:12 AM
No need to apologize to me, I don't take this seriously, I am just a hard-line debater. If I can be proven wrong that means I will learn something, if not it means the other person will gain new knowledge.

You live in a good part of the world, my sister in law lives in Clayton and I own a house in Willow Springs.

If you can explain what you were attempting to say, maybe someone could understand your cute statement. :confused:

I am sure you understood my point perfectly judging by your defensive attitude. But for clarifications sake, I am saying that you are this so called great dealership here on LS trying to pose as a customer and plug your company with a fake testimonial. Why else would you be so touchy about what people have to say about them? Honestly even if that is not the case it comes off looking so much like a cheesy advertisement that no one could care less, me being one of them. Anyhow don't want to start a whole big thing here.

puppypaws
06-14-2009, 12:17 AM
I am sure you understood my point perfectly judging by your defensive attitude. But for clarifications sake, I am saying that you are this so called great dealership here on LS trying to pose as a customer and plug your company with a fake testimonial. Why else would you be so touchy about what people have to say about them? Honestly even if that is not the case it comes off looking so much like a cheesy advertisement that no one could care less, me being one of them. Anyhow don't want to start a whole big thing here.

Oakie Doakie, if you say so! :dizzy:

TomberLawn
06-14-2009, 12:53 AM
No, puppypaws is not the dealer. I know both men personally. I rode by Whitley's today on my way to SC this afternoon and saw about 30-40 mowers on the lot, plus he's got a HUGE warehouse with mowers stacked 4or 5 high in crates.

frotis
06-14-2009, 01:50 AM
. But as you see, he has non of the top major lines (exmark, toro, scag, Kubota, deere, echo, etc) and theres a reason for that, those manufacturers maintain there dealer network very tightly, and will not let dealers cut the prices well below their suggested promo/commercial pricing

Toro does the same thing, this dealer was selling walk behind hydro 40's for $1500 less then any all the other dealers in my area. That is 29% less, I wish I had a dealer that pushed high volume and would sell at those prices around me.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=277407

nosparkplugs
06-14-2009, 03:55 AM
For what it's worth not addressed to anyone in particular, I was venting some anger the wrong way, and trying to start some SHAT too. After reading your comments I guess it was in poor taste, and a poor choice of words:cry:. No matter the brands I have ran over the years I still do the work myself.

You really listen to me:laugh: Even I know I am full of BS:waving:

Sorry Mike I have always respected you for sticking to your guns in our debates, and too everyone I offended it was a poor choice of words, and very dry humor to say the least. Please forgive me .

Let me first say that this post really gets under my skin nosparkpugs. For you to get on here and call some of these people "total idiots" is just inexcusable! Just because someone takes their mowers in for a service you do yourself is no reason to insult people. Personally i take offense to your remarks and will tell you that they are NOT appreciated one bit. I usually like to get on here and "debate" with you on certain subjects and usually it turns into a good thread. BUT after this posts you can gaurantee yourself that what you say will go in one ear and out the other because you truley have showed your I.Q. this time. Bottom line is this, if someone has a different mower than yours or services their equipment in a different manner in which you do then they are "IDIOTS". All these people that have read your past post on here need to read this one to really get a grasp of your true self and what you really think of their opinions! :hammerhead:

nosparkplugs
06-14-2009, 04:03 AM
Their is a picture of Puppypaws wearing a Tuxedo floating around in the archives on Lawnsite somewhere?? Those knowing both PP & Chad if this picture can be found could solve this debate:)

Sammy
06-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Not much of a web site. http://www.whitleylawnandgarden.com/

LilRabbit
06-14-2009, 08:38 AM
yup, I pay more but when I have a breakdown or issue with my scag, same day turnaround or he gives me a demo to finish the day. (Awesome dealer)

puppypaws
06-14-2009, 01:13 PM
what is name of dealer? I may swing by. I'm in Weddington.

Sorry, you were not answered, it is Whitley Lawn & Garden, 601 South, Monroe, 704-764-3910. Go down and ask for Chad Whitley, tell him Reid sent you.

Not much of a web site. http://www.whitleylawnandgarden.com/

His website is under reconstruction, but he actually does not need a website with the customer base he has, he really only needs a name, address and phone number listed.

punt66
06-14-2009, 03:02 PM
:laugh:Not much of a web site. http://www.whitleylawnandgarden.com/

no kidding. It also says he is closed on mondays?????????????? I dont know about you all, but i work mondays. There is customer service for you. :laugh:

punt66
06-14-2009, 03:09 PM
My dealer is much smaller but yet much more professional. check out his site. http://www.collinsvillepower1.com/pages/home/default.aspx

puppypaws
06-14-2009, 03:18 PM
My dealer is much smaller but yet much more professional. check out his site. http://www.collinsvillepower1.com/pages/home/default.aspx

I like the cooler weather and it is actually cooling off here this week, it was in the high 80's to 90 here last week.

http://images.ibsys.com/char/images/weather/auto/5day_400x300.jpg

punt66
06-14-2009, 03:20 PM
We wish it was warmer here! Just keeps raining and raining.

mowbizniz
06-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I would just like to thank everyone who has participated in this thread. Being a dealer (not in Mr. Whitley's league) I have enjoyed watching you all stick up for your dealers. I like to think there are a few LCO's that would do the same for me. This is my first day on "Lawnsite" and you all have CMAU. Alright Nosparkplugs you had my *ss eatin the seat cushion when you said "you avoid dealers like the plague" but that's why I got on here, to learn more about the LCO's. Keep up the good work and I promise not to try to sell you guys anything.

topsites
06-15-2009, 05:06 PM
I would just like to thank everyone who has participated in this thread. Being a dealer (not in Mr. Whitley's league) I have enjoyed watching you all stick up for your dealers. I like to think there are a few LCO's that would do the same for me. This is my first day on "Lawnsite" and you all have CMAU. Alright Nosparkplugs you had my *ss eatin the seat cushion when you said "you avoid dealers like the plague" but that's why I got on here, to learn more about the LCO's. Keep up the good work and I promise not to try to sell you guys anything.

That's a good thing because I feel all dealers are in the same boat, and I don't care who you are because
if I started taking my business to you it wouldn't take long before I started seeing the "signs."
Do you know what kind of signs I am talking about?

Here's the sign I keep seeing: Take YOUR Business Elsewhere!

How so, it takes forever, the shat ain't fixed right, it costs an arm and a leg, long lines get made out of the
2-3 people in front of me, they don't want to look up my part, they give me the run-around, all of that unless ...

See, here's the problem, I've been in business too long.
When you, as a dealer, RUNS to go take care of my issue?!
I know exactly what that means HAHAHA!

And if you play mickey mouse run-around baloney games?
It means I am wasting your time, I ain't no fool.

Hell I just caught it at the BMW dealership, that will astound you, of course the fact my sister takes hers to Volvo
which is right next door and I know she'll cuss them out over nothing probably doesn't help my cause either
but once again I say, all dealers, same old.
What can you do?

So before long I'm back to mail-ordering the parts, fixing it myself, and soon I will likely be buying whole machines that way as well.
Because I ain't getting into warranties and that whole rigmarole.

Don't get me wrong, the mail-order department comes with its very own big and bad load of crap also.
But I can cuss them out without having to worry about running into them like, at the gas station LOL

Peace

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I have one local dealer I use for consumable's aka co-polymer line, edger blade's, weed eaters & blowers, purchased a Walker from them too, their also a Grasshopper & Hustler Dealer. I tried to hammer out a Grasshopper diesel or Hustler diesel sale, no special dealer treatment here.

I may seem dry or mean on here, but I am really a nice guy, and nothing irriates me more than a dealer whom try's to blow smoke up my arse on anything they stock as being the "BEST" ALL equipment has pro's & con's even the Bad Boy's although I am now biased:waving::drinkup: I am glad I threw brand loyalty out the door three years ago when searching for new ZTR's, I am now looking at a Kubota ZD221 with a 48" pro, this ZTR will fill a specific role in my business that Bad Boy cannot.

As I gain or loss accounts so does the type of ZTR I purchase & run, right now survival is key in this economy no one is immune to this period. Those well established ZTR's companies have the largest melons & will also fall the hardest & fastest. Cash is KING, those with a postive cash flow will survive.

mowbizniz
06-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey man I'm just like you trying to run a fair business and make a fair profit. I'm not going to be the cheapest on anything and I'm not going to lie to you about it. I don't know you or anything about you? Are you the cheapest at what you do?

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Thats right some dealers are trying to make a fair profit those I do business with:). Yet some dealers feel their backed buy a Top shelf name ZTR manufacture that cannot lower price nor should have too.

The key is balance, I have learned to not chase the money it always comes, slow controlled growth, learning to say "NO" has improved me. I guess you could also compare these larger dealers saying NO to lowering their new ZTR price's as key to their success or failure.

Hey man I'm just like you trying to run a fair business and make a fair profit. I'm not going to be the cheapest on anything and I'm not going to lie to you about it. I don't know you or anything about you? Are you the cheapest at what you do?

mowbizniz
06-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Nosparkplugs - You sound like you do a lot of your own work. I just lost a Grasshopper customer of ten years to Kubota. he saved a lot of money doing his own repairs. I mean a external pto clutch versus an internal wet clutch, pumps and wheel motors versus Kubota's transmission. How do you feel about tackling those jobs down the road?

JB1
06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
some of these dealers can't lower the prices like you think. The big dealers are buying mowers in such large quantities and they get some good price breaks where the small dealers can't. I have seen the pricing on if you order 50- 100 or 200 mower and it is very interesting.

puppypaws
06-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Nosparkplugs - You sound like you do a lot of your own work. I just lost a Grasshopper customer of ten years to Kubota. he saved a lot of money doing his own repairs. I mean a external pto clutch versus an internal wet clutch, pumps and wheel motors versus Kubota's transmission. How do you feel about tackling those jobs down the road?

That's right, lead him in to the head gate so you can castrate him! :laugh:

mowbizniz
06-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Sorry nosparkplugs the cheapest comment was meant for topsites. Still learning. You're right most large dealers are above lowering their prices for any reason. Boy wouldn't that be nice.

mowbizniz
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:That's right, lead him in to the head gate so you can castrate him! :laugh:

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Some of us have that "sixth sense" I can listen to most engines or equipment runing, and tell when something is not just right, and while I am operating equipment I am always looking for fluid leaks, loose bolts, belts, parts that are wearing etc. This has paid off 10 fold; because I have always caught problems coming, and fix them as needed I take a ZTR down when I want too:).

With that said I have had great success keeping my ZTR's going strong well beyond their normal lifespan one 9 years with little or no investment into the ZTR frame, pumps, wheel motors or deck. My trouble has been with engines, gasoline to be specific, if I would have purchased diesel from day one I cannot say where I could be righ now?? I was scared to invest the extra money for a diesel ZTR, and thier was little options unlike now. The right diesel ZTR will, surly hurt or hand gernade your service department.

frotis
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
I tried to give this dealer a call today, just curious on the price differences from my dealer and he wasn't open. How can you be a servicing dealer and not be open on Mondays. I would think that would be a busy day.

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
I had the old "snip snip":o I had too!! it almost seemed like I would look at the wife & she would end up pregnant:)

That's right, lead him in to the head gate so you can castrate him! :laugh:

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Those are gun dealer's & gun range hours of operation around her:laugh:

I tried to give this dealer a call today, just curious on the price differences from my dealer and he wasn't open. How can you be a servicing dealer and not be open on Mondays. I would think that would be a busy day.

mowbizniz
06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Some of us have that "sixth sense" I can listen to most engines or equipment runing, and tell when something is not just right, and while I am operating equipment I am always looking for fluid leaks, loose bolts, belts, parts that are wearing etc. This has paid off 10 fold; because I have always caught problems coming, and fix them as needed I take a ZTR down when I want too:).

With that said I have had great success keeping my ZTR's going strong well beyond their normal lifespan one 9 years with little or no investment into the ZTR frame, pumps, wheel motors or deck. My trouble has been with engines, gasoline to be specific, if I would have purchased diesel from day one I cannot say where I could be righ now?? I was scared to invest the extra money for a diesel ZTR, and thier was little options unlike now. The right diesel ZTR will, surly hurt or hand gernade your service department.

I don't know about you but my ole man gave me that sixth sense "what's the matter with you, can't you hear that". We've been a Grasshopper dealer for around 15 years. My second year I went to a service school in Reynoldsburg Ohio so that we could perform warranty work on the Kubota engines that Grasshopper was using. The class was full of Amish because they used a lot of those engines on their generators. They bragged of 10,000 hours on some of their engines. It's a good engine I'll give you that.

mowbizniz
06-15-2009, 06:02 PM

We close at noon on Saturdays. It seems like our customers have become used to it. Most motorcycle shops seem to close on Mondays but those are toys not tools.

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Don't understand how those Amish get away with running engines??. I was rasied in northern Michigan the Amish in that community used compressed air to run the majority of their equipment. I also remember their were no window coverings shades, curtains, or blinds in their homes.

Front Mowers have been my choice for years, but their getting expensive, and not enough Kubota diesel engine for the money IMO. The Walker dealer sells Grasshopper, I tried to talk myself into their big diesel front mower & big diesel midmount, price numbers did not match for me.

I am now looking for a small 48" diesel midmount the ZD221 is the only one in the lead, the Grasshopper 321D smallest deck is in the 50" range.

I don't know about you but my ole man gave me that sixth sense "what's the matter with you, can't you hear that". We've been a Grasshopper dealer for around 15 years. My second year I went to a service school in Reynoldsburg Ohio so that we could perform warranty work on the Kubota engines that Grasshopper was using. The class was full of Amish because they used a lot of those engines on their generators. They bragged of 10,000 hours on some of their engines. It's a good engine I'll give you that.

puppypaws
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM

Not being open on Monday does not mean he is not working, just in other directions. It must not be hurting him to badly, he told me this morning he was the lowest on inventory he had been in a long time, there were only 125 units left in stock but he had 3 tractor trailer loads of Bobcats coming in Wednesday. I wonder how many dealers could say they have 1 tractor trailer load of 1 mower brand coming in this week, much less 3.

No, I don't believe not being open on Monday is affecting his business. I think all dealers would be closing on Monday if they thought they could sell the number of mowers he does.

punt66
06-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Not being open on Monday does not mean he is not working, just in other directions. It must not be hurting him to badly, he told me this morning he was the lowest on inventory he had been in a long time, there were only 125 units left in stock but he had 3 tractor trailer loads of Bobcats coming in Wednesday. I wonder how many dealers could say they have 1 tractor trailer load of 1 mower brand coming in this week, much less 3.

No, I don't believe not being open on Monday is affecting his business. I think all dealers would be closing on Monday if they thought they could sell the number of mowers he does.

Do you work on mondays? I certainely do. I mowed 13 yesterday. If i had a breakdown and needed a part your dealer wouldnt be open??????????? He may not need to be open mondays according yo him but its surely would NOT fly with lco's. Why do you know so much about your dealers numbers? Do you go around bragging how many lawns you mowed last month or how much you cleared for that month?

93Chevy
06-16-2009, 08:16 AM
I've just jumped on and read every post in this thread.

I know a few guys like "Chad." I bet he gets up between 4 and 5, maybe does a little paperwork, etc. Gets to the store to open most days before 7. Closes at 530, maybe doesn't get home till 7, give or take. Or if he does he does get home earlier, he's taking work home with him to work on late at night.

From what I hear, it seems the amount of work he has prevents him from working less than 12-14 hours a day. I could be wrong though.

What I don't understand is how some of you cannot fathom somebody like Chad. Is it really that hard to imagine somebody so dedicated to their work?

Wish I had a dealer like that around here.

retrodog
06-16-2009, 09:37 AM
I am also a dealer, and we aren't open 7 days a week. I am here to say that everyone of my customers have my cell phone #, and I have met people at the shop for a part on Sunday. I always have extra blades and belts around my house (due to the fact that I run a LCO also), and people have came by my house after hours for parts also. I run the mower shop as I would dream of being treated as a LCO, so far it has paid off. My first year selling mowers period, and a brand that no one around here as even heard of, we won Rookie of the Year, a Platinum Dealership, and Top Loan producer at the bank. I like to think I am a little out of the box when it comes to this business because I am wearing both shoes here. When I hear someone has a problem with their mower, I freak out and work as hard as i can to get them fixed. For example, had a 27hp LC Kawasaki brand new the other day that wasn't running right from the start. Only firing 1 cylinder, cleaned carb out (sounded like trash in jets) put back on and the other cylinder wouldn't fire, it kept jumping back and forth like trash. The guy just bought a brand new machine, so I wanted more than anything to have it back to him in the morning. We stayed at the shop till almost 1 in the morning trying to figure out what in the crap was wrong! After everything found a fuel solenoid that was damaged. At 8 in the morning Kawasaki said it would be 3 days before we get one in. I drove all over town looking for the part, and the Case tractor house happened to have one $118!, We had his mower back to him by 9:20 in the morning with nothing but apologies, and I am not sure if kawasaki will even pay me the warranty work because I didn't buy the part directly from them, but I know if they won't Bad Boy will, I will worry about that later, that was the least of my concerns...getting paid. That customer will bring me in more than enough new customers to pay for my hassle. I have dealers asking me all the time, how did you sell so many mowers right off the bat, hopefully stories like this one will help them realize what you have to do in a business. You have to really stand out in a market, or you will just be floating in the water while everyone just blows by you....props to Mr Chad, and all the dealers and LCOs that stand out exceptionally

mowbizniz
06-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Don't understand how those Amish get away with running engines??. I was rasied in northern Michigan the Amish in that community used compressed air to run the majority of their equipment. I also remember their were no window coverings shades, curtains, or blinds in their homes.

Front Mowers have been my choice for years, but their getting expensive, and not enough Kubota diesel engine for the money IMO. The Walker dealer sells Grasshopper, I tried to talk myself into their big diesel front mower & big diesel midmount, price numbers did not match for me.

I am now looking for a small 48" diesel midmount the ZD221 is the only one in the lead, the Grasshopper 321D smallest deck is in the 50" range.

Maybe they were minanites I haven't been around enough of them to know the difference.

We only sold one 321D with a 52" deck and the customer was unhappy with the cut. They had a 718/52 and said the midmount laid down the grass. Honestly I think they used that as an excuse to go to Deere. We've lost a lot of our LCOs to the local Deere dealer. We simply couldn't hire enough quality people to take care of them. It's my fault I just took for granted that they would stay and my bottom line has suffered because of it. Live and learn.

puppypaws
06-16-2009, 10:17 AM
I've just jumped on and read every post in this thread.

I know a few guys like "Chad." I bet he gets up between 4 and 5, maybe does a little paperwork, etc. Gets to the store to open most days before 7. Closes at 530, maybe doesn't get home till 7, give or take. Or if he does he does get home earlier, he's taking work home with him to work on late at night.

From what I hear, it seems the amount of work he has prevents him from working less than 12-14 hours a day. I could be wrong though.

What I don't understand is how some of you cannot fathom somebody like Chad. Is it really that hard to imagine somebody so dedicated to their work? That is very special in this day and time, not something that is taught, but something instilled in you from birth.

Wish I had a dealer like that around here.

There are many nights he tells me he does not get home before 10:00 pm and you are right he eats and sleeps his mowers and customers. His father and I grew up together as friends, I've know Chad since he was born and there is no better person. This is one of the reasons he has been so blessed, because he treats people the way he would like to be treated.

Chad's dad has been in the hospital with severe intestinal bleeding from the use of the blood thinner Coumadin for so many years. This is something else he has been dealing with that has added to his stress level. He said that 2 of his employees would be on vacation this week and he and his wife were working at night for Bible School at their church.

He also owns several pieces of large excavation equipment and is in the process of clearing and building a construction site for a new church being built. I was told from a very secure source that he was not charging the church anything for this work. I would say that giving back and having a strong faith in God is what has gotten him to where he is today.

I find this kind of interesting, while I was in the middle of typing this a very nice sounding young man called and said he remembered my dealer selling him a used Scag while he was in school. He said, "I saw where you were talking about him on LawnSite and remembered how nice he was to me when I bought the used Scag from him." He asked me to give him directions to Chad's business because he was in the market for a new mower, so I did, and no, I do not generate one penny of income from any mower business.

I am also a dealer, and we aren't open 7 days a week. I am here to say that everyone of my customers have my cell phone #, and I have met people at the shop for a part on Sunday. I always have extra blades and belts around my house (due to the fact that I run a LCO also), and people have came by my house after hours for parts also. I run the mower shop as I would dream of being treated as a LCO, so far it has paid off. My first year selling mowers period, and a brand that no one around here as even heard of, we won Rookie of the Year, a Platinum Dealership, and Top Loan producer at the bank. I like to think I am a little out of the box when it comes to this business because I am wearing both shoes here. When I hear someone has a problem with their mower, I freak out and work as hard as i can to get them fixed. For example, had a 27hp LC Kawasaki brand new the other day that wasn't running right from the start. Only firing 1 cylinder, cleaned carb out (sounded like trash in jets) put back on and the other cylinder wouldn't fire, it kept jumping back and forth like trash. The guy just bought a brand new machine, so I wanted more than anything to have it back to him in the morning. We stayed at the shop till almost 1 in the morning trying to figure out what in the crap was wrong! After everything found a fuel solenoid that was damaged. At 8 in the morning Kawasaki said it would be 3 days before we get one in. I drove all over town looking for the part, and the Case tractor house happened to have one $118!, We had his mower back to him by 9:20 in the morning with nothing but apologies, and I am not sure if kawasaki will even pay me the warranty work because I didn't buy the part directly from them, but I know if they won't Bad Boy will, I will worry about that later, that was the least of my concerns...getting paid. That customer will bring me in more than enough new customers to pay for my hassle. I have dealers asking me all the time, how did you sell so many mowers right off the bat, hopefully stories like this one will help them realize what you have to do in a business. You have to really stand out in a market, or you will just be floating in the water while everyone just blows by you....props to Mr Chad, and all the dealers and LCOs that stand out exceptionally

I can say without reserve, you are one of those special people also, not just as a dealer or LCO but as a genuine person that cares about other people.

retrodog
06-16-2009, 11:42 PM
His father and I grew up together as friends, I've know Chad since he was born and there is no better person.
I can say without reserve, you are one of those special people also, not just as a dealer or LCO but as a genuine person that cares about other people.

Hey, that answered my question, thats why you are into the mower equipment business so much, you have grown up with your dealer, and prolly everyone elses on here too...... I give you a hard time, but I bleed orange, and I wish for how much you love the company, would be representing an orange mower too.....

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Maybe they were minanites I haven't been around enough of them to know the difference.

We only sold one 321D with a 52" deck and the customer was unhappy with the cut. They had a 718/52 and said the midmount laid down the grass. Honestly I think they used that as an excuse to go to Deere. We've lost a lot of our LCOs to the local Deere dealer. We simply couldn't hire enough quality people to take care of them. It's my fault I just took for granted that they would stay and my bottom line has suffered because of it. Live and learn.

have you heard of any new mower they might be comming out with???

puppypaws
06-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Hey, that answered my question, thats why you are into the mower equipment business so much, you have grown up with your dealer, and prolly everyone elses on here too...... I give you a hard time, but I bleed orange, and I wish for how much you love the company, would be representing an orange mower too.....

I've sold quiet a few Hustler mowers for Chad and Hustler, but if you want to know what I think and do for Bad Boy call Robert Patterson and ask him if Reid Phifer has sold any Bad Boy mowers for them. They were actually talking about putting a AOS with a 35 Vanguard on my farm for people to come and demo because I have such a large area to work in. I use it some and invite people over to try it for themselves and point out the advantages of owning a BB mower. I can sell anything I believe in, because I get very deep into the technical aspects of anything I do. I am not biased towards any one piece of equipment, I will always tell you what I find and the way I see anything involved from my point of view.

I will stir the pot in discussion forums to get the good, bad, and the ugly information rising to the top, kind of like churning butter. Everyone has different points of view and it does not make one any better than the other unless you can put forth defining undisputed information. No matter what type of discussion is taking place, there is always someone that can learn something from it.

I never get bored, I have a number of people I manage to keep things running smoothly. I at one time did a great deal of the manual work myself, I no longer need to do this because I have good people in place. I run the financial and technical end of the business and have people that I instruct on how I want things accomplished. They follow instructions extremely well, and this makes things advance very smoothly. I have nothing I am involve in that I don't strive for the highest level of perfection, knowing I will never reach perfection but will always stay on the top plateau of excellence.

93Chevy
06-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Puppypaws, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you do?

puppypaws
06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Puppypaws, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you do?

This is what I do, poultry farming 22 years, and row crop farming 40+ years.
They are loading my chickens on tractor trailer trucks to go three miles to the processing plant as I type this.

This is a picture taken from the front porch of my house. These chickens are 1 week old and I keep them 8 weeks.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151231&stc=1&d=1244768488

puppypaws
06-17-2009, 09:25 AM
This is what I do, poultry farming 22 years, and row crop farming 40+ years.
They are loading my chickens on tractor trailer trucks to go three miles to the processing plant as I type this.

This is a picture taken from the front porch of my house. These chickens are 1 week old and I keep them 8 weeks.

The picture you are see from my front porch, about 800' from the edge of the corn, the state of NC bought 18 acres from me and there will be a large interchange for a 4 lane bypass highway. They are suppose to begin construction by the end of next year, this means I will no longer live on this farm. The property will be developed only around interchanges on this highway, which means this property becomes to valuable for commercial purposes. Once it is rezoned commercial, I could not afford to pay the property tax on $300,000.00 an acre property. I had it appraised as if the road were in place, and this was the number I was given.

mowbizniz
06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
have you heard of any new mower they might be comming out with???

I haven't heard of anything new from Grasshopper. The frontmounts have really been improved and I don't think any manufacturer can compete with their frontmounts. Their midmounts are just another commercial ZTR and they need to work on their deck and improve the discharge.

retrodog
06-17-2009, 09:53 AM
The picture you are see from my front porch, about 800' from the edge of the corn, the state of NC bought 18 acres from me and there will be a large interchange for a 4 lane bypass highway. They are suppose to begin construction by the end of next year, this means I will no longer live on this farm. The property will be developed only around interchanges on this highway, which means this property becomes to valuable for commercial purposes. Once it is rezoned commercial, I could not afford to pay the property tax on $300,000.00 an acre property. I had it appraised as if the road were in place, and this was the number I was given.

so, do you have any interested buyers lined up before this happens, or is it one of those properties out in the middle of nowhere that when they rezone, it will be useless property that the state ends up with? It sounds to me like your going to get a really sharp stick in the eye over this deal unless your pretty close to a metro area, then you will come out a millionaire (A few guys I know that happened to, their property went from $2000 an acre to $2000 a square foot......).

zman2307
06-17-2009, 10:18 AM

Congratulations!! Opportunities like that don't come every day.

topsites
06-17-2009, 10:26 AM
so, do you have any interested buyers lined up before this happens, or is it one of those properties out in the middle of nowhere that when they rezone, it will be useless property that the state ends up with? It sounds to me like your going to get a really sharp stick in the eye over this deal unless your pretty close to a metro area, then you will come out a millionaire (A few guys I know that happened to, their property went from $2000 an acre to $2000 a square foot......).

That thought crossed my mind as well, they don't care how much the property is worth,
if you can't pay the taxes that's all they have to hear.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
I am sure you would rather have the highway built somewhere else, once the Bypass highway is completed you will be in a good situation to sell the land, you might want to sell it early knowing that it will be zoned commercial. If you wait you will get more money out of the property, but will have to pay higher tax if you cannot sell it quick.

Take some of your earnings and get you your dream ZTR to speed around on. Knowing your history it will be an air cooled gasburner for sure:)

93Chevy
06-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Looks like you have a nice clean operation going for you. Bummer to hear about the highway through your land, though hopefully it'll work out in your favor.

puppypaws
06-17-2009, 12:13 PM

I am in the ideal area, it actually could not be better. People are wanting to move out of the large city of Charlotte, NC and into this county for better school systems and lower taxes. All traffic that comes from the mountains and all cities in between funnel down Highway 74 within .8 of a mile from my house going to the coast for vacations, we are talking about mega traffic. This new highway will be the first toll road ever built in the state of NC. It electronically picks up your vehicle and sends you a bill once per month.

The reason for this large highway is the state wants a road going from the mountains to the coast with no stoplights to impede traffic. All truck traffic moving goods brought into ports of NC come directly through my area. People in Charlotte will move into this location in droves, for the fact they will be able to access this new highway and drive 70 mph to their job in downtown Charlotte in less than 20 minutes. This is what has already taken place in the western part of Union County, many people moved into the area because of better schools and lower tax rates; while still having easy access to their occupations in Charlotte. There is already a 5000 acre business park including many other things in the planning process for my side of the county because of easy access with the new bypass.

This is what the interchange will look like, you can see my house in the red box. You can run an access road directly beside the interchange and there is 100+ acres that is easily developed for commercial purposes. You must remember I have been trained in surveying and land acquisition, so this is not my first rodeo, as the state found out when attempting to buy the R/W from me in the beginning. I knew exactly how many offers they would make and how their process works, I got within $5000.00 of the figure I first came up with; before the process began. I worked them in the same way they attempt to work you, my neighbor on the other side of the interchange ended up having his property condemned because he did not know how to deal with them. I pushed them exactly how far I knew they would go before they said the word condemn. The R/W agent that made my property acquisition and I actually became friends and I took him to the Outer Banks of NC striper fishing. I heard many people that lived it the area say, "I just could not deal with him, he was trying to steal my land." I always kind of laughed to myself when I heard this, because I knew how nice he was to me.

Looks like you have a nice clean operation going for you. Bummer to hear about the highway through your land, though hopefully it'll work out in your favor.

It will work out, it always has, I just live one day at a time and could possibly not be here to see this finished. We don't own anything, God only allows us to use it for a period of time.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Some Americans do not trust the government, those folks will always blame the government in these situations of "taking my land". You must to a certain extent kiss some government arse, and work with them. Taking a hard line on the governments ability to take our land as needed, will always be a hot topic. Sounds like you know how to play the game.

I am in the ideal area, it actually could not be better. People are wanting to move out of the large city of Charlotte, NC and into this county for better school systems and lower taxes. All traffic that comes from the mountains and all cities in between funnel down Highway 74 within .8 of a mile from my house going to the coast for vacations, we are talking about mega traffic. This new highway will be the first toll road ever built in the state of NC. It electronically picks up your vehicle and sends you a bill once per month.

The reason for this large highway is the state wants a road going from the mountains to the coast with no stoplights to impede traffic. All truck traffic moving goods brought into ports of NC come directly through my area. People in Charlotte will move into this location in droves, for the fact they will be able to access this new highway and drive 70 mph to their job in downtown Charlotte in less than 20 minutes. This is what has already taken place in the western part of Union County, many people moved into the area because of better schools and lower tax rates; while still having easy access to their occupations in Charlotte. There is already a 5000 acre business park including many other things in the planning process for my side of the county because of easy access with the new bypass.

This is what the interchange will look like, you can see my house in the red box. You can run an access road directly beside the interchange and there is 100+ acres that is easily developed for commercial purposes. You must remember I have been trained in surveying and land acquisition, so this is not my first rodeo, as the state found out when attempting to buy the R/W from me in the beginning. I knew exactly how many offers they would make and how their process works, I got within $5000.00 of the figure I first came up with; before the process began. I worked them in the same way they attempt to work you, my neighbor on the other side of the interchange ended up having his property condemned because he did not know how to deal with them. I pushed them exactly how far I knew they would go before they said the word condemn. The R/W agent that made my property acquisition and I actually became friends and I took him to the Outer Banks of NC striper fishing. I heard many people that lived it the area say, "I just could not deal with him, he was trying to steal my land." I always kind of laughed to myself when I heard this, because I knew how nice he was to me.

It will work out, it always has, I just live one day at a time and could possibly not be here to see this finished. We don't own anything, God only allows us to use it for a period of time.

davidcalhoun
06-17-2009, 01:23 PM
It sounds like a good opportunity. Make sure that all ponds dug for the overpass will be placed for optimal future opportunities.

The other landowners should do fine (or at least as well as you depending on variables) because it will have to go to court. Once the land goes through apprasial for the court, your selling amount will be used in the equation.

puppypaws
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
It sounds like a good opportunity. Make sure that all ponds dug for the overpass will be placed for optimal future opportunities.

The other landowners should do fine (or at least as well as you depending on variables) because it will have to go to court. Once the land goes through apprasial for the court, your selling amount will be used in the equation.

The Law of Eminent Domain carries a big stick. I am familiar with the condemnation process and how a judge uses the Eminent Domain law. You fight, fight, fight, pay an attorney and end up with the fair market value. The attorney ends up the winner.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 02:42 PM
On June 23, 2006 -President George W. Bush issued an executive order stating in Section I that the federal government must limit its use of taking private property for "public use" with "just compensation", which is also stated in the constitution, for the "purpose of benefiting the general public." He limits this use by stating that it may not be used "for the purpose of advancing the economic interest of private parties to be given ownership or use of the property taken".However, eminent domain is more often exercised by local and state governments, albeit often with funds obtained from the federal government

puppypaws
06-17-2009, 06:36 PM
On June 23, 2006 -President George W. Bush issued an executive order stating in Section I that the federal government must limit its use of taking private property for "public use" with "just compensation", which is also stated in the constitution, for the "purpose of benefiting the general public." He limits this use by stating that it may not be used "for the purpose of advancing the economic interest of private parties to be given ownership or use of the property taken".However, eminent domain is more often exercised by local and state governments, albeit often with funds obtained from the federal government

This is correct as far as benefiting the general public for economic reasons.
I have seen this type case won where a small town in our county attempted to use eminent domain as a legal reason for stealing personal property for a Walmart Super Center. The judge ruled the eminent domain law could not be used for the reason of this property only benefiting a select group for economic purposes.

When it comes to roads, gas lines, railroads and power transmission lines, the law of eminent domain will always take control of needed property. This is considered property to be used for the betterment of the entire general public not a select few for economic reasons.

QUOTE:

The power of the federal or state government to take private property for a public purpose, even if the property owner objects. The Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution allows the government to take private property if the taking is for a public use and the owner is "justly compensated" (usually, paid fair market value) for his or her loss. A public use is virtually anything that is sanctioned by a federal or state legislative body, but such uses may include roads, parks, reservoirs, schools, hospitals or other public buildings. Sometimes called condemnation, taking or expropriation.

puppypaws
06-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Just kind of keeping you aware of what is going, and I would have to say he is kicking the largest majority of the dealers butts.

I was talking with Chad as he was leaving the shop at 6:50 because his brother in laws mother had a heart attack.

He said he had sold 52 mowers as of quiting time today and had a good week with Hustler selling 18, and we haven't gotten through Saturday which is considered a full week. He told me he was very tired and had been staying late most nights. I said, "your spring has not slowed down", he in return said, "I am having a better month than I did in April." I told him it was because we were getting good rains, and grass was still growing extremely fast. This is not normal for our area this time of year, and it may be coming to a halt, the temperature is getting into the high 90's with no chance of rain. It does not take this type weather very long to put you into a seriously dry situation.

He will get me some total numbers one day, I have asked him to do this, he said he would the first minute he had to breathe. He is basically working himself to death at the moment, I certainly am glad he is young and in excellent shape.