PDA

View Full Version : New Scag Turf Tiger Arrived Today

greenred
06-12-2009, 09:11 PM
My newest toy arrived today. I got a Scag Turf Tiger with a 31 HP Kohler Aegis liquid cooled and fuel injected engine. The Scag has the 61 inch mowing deck.

Im going from a Toro Z with 52 inch deck to this new Scag. The difference is night and day. The Toro is the same as a Exmark and feels like a little sports car with a stiff suspension, while the Scag Turf Tiger reminds me of my grandpas Buick Roadmaster - a big cushy boat of a Z. Im getting adjusted to the steering. On the Toro the steering was so responsive it is almost jerky. The Scag is responsive and precise, you just have to get adjusted to the cushy dampening of the steering and compensate for it. You also have to compensate for the Scags impressive size.

The cut so is phenomenal. The clippings disperse so well, and it lays down a fairly good stripe with one pass.

I cut mine and my neighbors lawn so far. Her lawn looks beautiful. I took pictures of it but its evening and the sunlight just was not working for me and makes the lawn look bad when it isnt.

The potential bad news is I found a washer on my drive way. The washer looks new and appears to match the washers on the Scag. Every thing is functioning properly and I cant figure out if the washer is even from the Scag. I checked over the scag the best I could. Hopefully its just coincidence and I dont have a catastrophic failure of a part due to the dealership not tightening a random part correctly.

I have a question for the other owners of Scags out there. When I bought my Toro Z the dealer told me to throttle down on the engine when I started the PTO as it would save wear and tear on the clutch. I always have and the Toro is going on 9 years old with the original clutch. Should I do the same with the Scag?

Here are some pics. I couldn't resist getting my Exmark TTHP out and putting it next to it.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/greenscag/Picture211143.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/greenscag/Picture211142.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/greenscag/Picture211141.jpg

FastMan
06-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Enjoy your new toy, greenred. The TT truly is a solid machine with a great cut in the wet and heavy.

Mike Blevins
06-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Yes you need to be less than full throttle to engage the clutch. Engaging the clutch at full throttle will lessen the life. I believe this is expained in your owners manual in better detail as I can't remember the exact way its worded. Anyway welcome to the family, keep us up to date on the 31 kohler. And if you have any more questions feel free to drop a pm.

tacoma200
06-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Congratulations! I would go over all the bolts visually and by feel to make sure they are all tight. I would also watch for any kind of leak, especially the first week or so. It is not uncommon to have to tighten things on a new ZTR such as bolts and hoses. My new Exmark had bad lines from the factory and were replaced under warranty. Some parts are put on by the dealer also so check to make sure. We will look forward to your reports, especially on that 31 Kohler we know so little about. Some good news is that model has a GT5 Ogura clutch rated at 350 lbs of torque and is adjustable but lower the rpms to engage.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
out of all the machines i hear about this is the leaste talked about one! i think you made a great choice! efi kohler and a deck that can handle anything with a chassi that is industrial! let us know about fuel consumption !

tacoma200
06-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Get a power chute, you'll thank me (if they have those switches fixed). Pays for it's self with one window or less.

nosparkplugs
06-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Congrats on the new TT, 31hp:):dancing: Liquid cooling for long life & EFI great choice. Keep us posted on the the fuel consumption. As others have said I would not engage the PTO above half throttle, just a good habit to extend PTO life I do this on all my ZTR's & Kubota M6800 tractor

greenred
06-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention. I demoed the 29 HP liquid cooled EFI Kawasaki Turf Tiger with same size deck. It felt anemic, like it was just not putting out enough power for a machine like the Turf Tiger. The 31HP Kohler Aegis is night and day over the Kawasaki in terms of power. When I start up the deck I can just sense the raw power being transferred to it, and the hydro system seems to have a lot more power. The difference in power and the price I was offered on mine was the deal breaker for which one I went with.

I plan to add Scags own OCDC to the deck, and their striping kit eventually. I was quoted $279 for the OCDC and an jaw dropping $399.99 for their striping kit.

Thanks for the advice on the PTO guys.

Linder'sLawnCare
06-12-2009, 10:16 PM
I love the TT. As many have stated, I want to know how the Kohler efi holds up.

tacoma200
06-12-2009, 10:16 PM
There are many that don't like the striping kit. It can bend if you back into something or get in a bad bind. But the fact that I can put it on and take it off in seconds is a great plus in my book. I had a steel roller on the Exmark and it destroyed the ride on a bumpy lawn and was always getting in a bind in our uneven terrain, time consuming when adjusting height (my friend with a Dixie roller feels the same way). Plus you can lock it in the up position when not in use. It is not as durable as a steel roller, and actually makes a little lighter stripe, but it makes up for it in versatility.

greenred
06-12-2009, 10:21 PM
There are many that don't like the striping kit. It can bend if you back into something or get in a bad bind. But the fact that I can put it on and take it off in seconds is a great plus in my book. I had a steel roller on the Exmark and it destroyed the ride on a bumpy lawn and was always getting in a bind in our uneven terrain, time consuming when adjusting height (my friend with a Dixie roller feels the same way). Plus you can lock it in the up position when not in use. It is not as durable as a steel roller, and actually makes a little lighter stripe, but it makes up for it in versatility.

Thanks for the info Tacoma. I was considering a Big League Lawns Striping Kit. Its a 100 dollars cheaper, but I liked the way the Scag Roller folds up and spring tension. Also it looks to be better made then the Big League Lawns version but I could be wrong.

lifetree
06-12-2009, 10:27 PM
... My new Exmark had bad lines from the factory and were replaced under warranty. ...

Tacoma -- I thought you said in another thread that you didn't like your local Exmark dealer, 4-8 week wait period for repair work ... but yet you indicate that you bought a new Exmark ZTR ??

nosparkplugs
06-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Dixie Chopper has a Zerbra Stripping kit, it's looks like it will cure the rough ride syndrome of the solid roller design since it's made of chains:).

Some guys I know have made some great homemade strippers out of old rubber conveyor belts bolted to the mower deck skirt with a steel strip:) cost less than $100 bucks too

greenred
06-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I forgot to mention one thing Im not sure about. The seat is really comfortable. But Im used to my Toro where my legs sit bent at not quite a 90 degree angle so my feet are below me down in a well. The Scag reminds me of a Ferrari I saw once, the seat was on the floor. My legs and feet are sprawled out in front of me and I dont find that as comfortable yet as my Toro. But the sense of balance and center of gravity when sitting on the Scag is way better then the Toro.

tacoma200
06-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Tacoma -- I thought you said in another thread that you didn't like your local Exmark dealer, 4-8 week wait period for repair work ... but yet you indicate that you bought a new Exmark ZTR ??

I have bought 2 Exmarks over the years (from different dealers) and didn't find out how bad the dealers were until after the fact. They gave me good prices but one couldn't fix them and the other had an extremely long wait period. In fact one dealer opened a shop here and I bought a Lazer only to have him close it the next year and operate out of a shop several miles further away. I don't blame Exmark, I just haven't had good luck with local dealers as far as service. A local dealer here can be 40 miles away since this is a rural area.

So I bought one didn't like the service, went to another dealer and he was worse. Shame, I really like Exmark but dealer service is important and you can get good and bad dealers in any brand.

lifetree
06-12-2009, 10:39 PM
I have bought 2 Exmarks over the years (from different dealers) and didn't find out how bad the dealers were until after the fact. They gave me good prices but one couldn't fix them and the other had an extremely long wait period. In fact one dealer opened a shop here and I bought a Lazer only to have him close it the next year and operate out of a shop several miles further away. I don't blame Exmark, I just haven't had good luck with local dealers as far as service. A local dealer here can be 40 miles away since this is a rural area.

So I bought one didn't like the service, went to another dealer and he was worse. Shame, I really like Exmark but dealer service is important and you can get good and bad dealers in any brand.

Tacoma -- Thanks for the clarification !!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-12-2009, 10:39 PM
check your rops,dealer puts them on might be the washer.........

tacoma200
06-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Dixie Chopper has a Zerbra Stripping kit, it's looks like it will cure the rough ride syndrome of the solid roller design since it's made of chains:).

Some guys I know have made some great homemade strippers out of old rubber conveyor belts bolted to the mower deck skirt with a steel strip:) cost less than $100 bucks too

My friend and I were just discussing it and I never thought to ask him where he got the roller so I don't know the brand? He did say it got him in binds and stuck a few times. The ditches here are deep and uneven and a hard steel roller can make it difficult. I am not an expert at rollers but I change my cutting height depending on the job and it was always too high or too low on the Exmark. But it did leave a dark stripe when I used it.

But back to your point, I would like to see some stripe pics using chains. The Grasshoppers here are capable of leaving a nice stripe with the rubber flap.

ron mexico75
06-12-2009, 11:08 PM
congrats on that, looks awesome!

johnnybravo8802
06-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Almost hate to get it dirty, don't you!!!! I had the same response about the "Lincoln" feel of the Scag-I like that and I like my legs sprawled out in front of me, especially after 10 hours of riding. I call it a Lazyboy and my feet in front are on the foot rest. Trust me, you'll get used to it. Congratulations.:drinkup: Just wait until you get it on an embankment.

greenred
06-12-2009, 11:17 PM

I made a home made striping kit for my Toro Z. It was like the Zebra kit in that it used chains. I used the wheel chains off a old Cub Cadet. It worked really great till I found out the hard way the chain links where just small enough to fall into the grate on my trailer gate. I was zipping up the gate when I came to a sudden stop. Bent the crap out of the iron I used to make it and I had mounted it using the trailer hitch and it bent the metal the hitch was connected to that made up part of the back engine guard. That was a fun mess.

Linder'sLawnCare
06-12-2009, 11:30 PM
My friend and I were just discussing it and I never thought to ask him where he got the roller so I don't know the brand? He did say it got him in binds and stuck a few times. The ditches here are deep and uneven and a hard steel roller can make it difficult. I am not an expert at rollers but I change my cutting height depending on the job and it was always too high or too low on the Exmark. But it did leave a dark stripe when I used it.

But back to your point, I would like to see some stripe pics using chains. The Grasshoppers here are capable of leaving a nice stripe with the rubber flap.

here is pics of DC w/ chains
http://www.elmlawnsite.com/striping_information.htm
http://www.elmlawnsite.com/lawn_pictures_page.htm

This guy has it going on!!

FromtheGroundUp
06-13-2009, 02:47 PM
the scag ocdc is not of quality. it dosent stay in position. the largest complaint of mine is that it dosent fold up out of the way, it just sticks out when not closed. This leaves it out to get ripped around by trees and stuff. make sure you have checked out all the after market ocdc's first.

greenred
06-13-2009, 06:02 PM
the scag ocdc is not of quality. it dosent stay in position. the largest complaint of mine is that it dosent fold up out of the way, it just sticks out when not closed. This leaves it out to get ripped around by trees and stuff. make sure you have checked out all the after market ocdc's first.

Thanks a lot for letting me know that. Saves me from spending 300 bucks and finding out the hard way. I think I will go with Tacoma's suggestion then. I would really like a manual one but I cant seem to find anyone selling one for a Scag.

KCfireman
06-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Nice mower! What's the financing for it?

greenred
06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Nice mower! What's the financing for it?

They have a deal going on right now till June 30. Its 3.9% for 60 months through a company named Yard Card. Sheffield also offers various ratings. They have a 3.9% interest but its only for 36 months I believe. They are at 6.9% for 60 months. I went through Yard Card and got their deal. I have had a loan through Sheffield before but not this Yard Card company. I cant imagine any problems, but I hope I dont end up regretting the money I saved by going with the unfamiliar company.

Two Seasons
06-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Regarding the washer in your driveway...

More than likely someone at the factory dropped this one, couldn't find it, then got another and finished what they were installing.

tacoma200
06-13-2009, 10:40 PM
here is pics of DC w/ chains
http://www.elmlawnsite.com/striping_information.htm
http://www.elmlawnsite.com/lawn_pictures_page.htm

This guy has it going on!!

Nice pics! I can tell you the secret to a good stripe!!! Good turf.. Most of the good turf is in the cool season grass zone. Nobody stripes like those guys from the upper Midwest and North East (with a few exceptions). You really can't lay a good stripe here unless the turf is relatively new and been maintained. Weeds take over fast in the transition zone unless you have a small fortune and are willing to wage a loosing battle.

Linder'sLawnCare
06-14-2009, 01:33 AM
I have my ferris on the yard card 60 months 3.9% too.

P.Services
06-14-2009, 01:42 AM
dont buy the striper!!!!!!!!!!!! its trash!!!!!!! do you want pictures to prove why?

tacoma200
06-14-2009, 01:52 AM
dont buy the striper!!!!!!!!!!!! its trash!!!!!!! do you want pictures to prove why?

Yes, I believe you were one of the guys that posted about having trouble. I haven't had any so far, hey send me the parts or what's left. You never know. We had one guy say he only got about 400 hrs out of his even greasing it so there have definately been problems. I can't take the beating of a steel roller on the back of a deck down here though. Not sure what better options there are.

If you have pics, I would like to see them. Parts for Scag stripers are high. Thankfully I only stripe a small percentage of lawns.

What would your best advice be to a new owner?

Mike Blevins
06-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I have the Scag stripe bar on my Turf Tiger. The mower will stripe pretty well with the stripe kit off. But my experience is that with the stripe kit on it the striping is more defined and detailed. I have actually picked up accounts because of the way my Tiger stripes lawns. Its the "I want my lawn to look like thiers" pitch. I have had to replace an outside c-clip once along with the washer. My srtipe kit is always in the down position now. I go over curbs,sidewalks,on and off my trailer, etc. and it has done very well. You cab look at it and tell it has alot of miles on it but it has served me well so far. If your on the fence on a stripe kit I would recommend one. Even if "your mower stripes really well without a stripe kit" you will get more defined and detailed stripes with one. :waving:

greenred
06-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys for the user advice on the striping kit. I appreciate it.

marcuslawnguy
06-14-2009, 11:06 PM
wow the Scag ocdc is not any good? Looked pretty solid to me and I was thinking about getting one. Anybody else had the opportunity to demo one?

P.Services
06-14-2009, 11:10 PM
buy e-clips in bulk by the pound. never back into anything, greese it every ten feet, never back up because a roller just fell off and you will run it over cut it in half and throw it 200'.

you guys just wait 6 months i have a company drawing up cad designs right now for a new striper. this thing is going to be insane. im so excited about it, you have NEVER seen anything like it before and all lawnsite members will get them at cost!! this thing is going to lay the best stripe EVER hands down. im not talking a effeing mud flap on a piece of uni-strut. ooooohhhhhh just wait

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 11:14 PM
nice !!!! good thing there are alot of people that think the rubber is the best there is! including me ! lol

P.Services
06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
dont get me wrong that scag one lay a nice stripe VERY nice. it just cant take any abuse, mine are going to be so tuff you can just try to hurt em.

oh you just wait!

tacoma200
06-14-2009, 11:28 PM
dont get me wrong that scag one lay a nice stripe VERY nice. it just cant take any abuse, mine are going to be so tuff you can just try to hurt em.

oh you just wait!

I'll be waiting, always in the market for something tough and functional. Thanks for clearing up the part about why you don't like the Scag roller (won't handle abuse).

P.Services
06-14-2009, 11:28 PM
this is what WILL happen

the third pic you cant see it real good but the roller has worn into the metal a good groove

tacoma200
06-14-2009, 11:31 PM
wow the Scag ocdc is not any good? Looked pretty solid to me and I was thinking about getting one. Anybody else had the opportunity to demo one?

No but I love the power chute. I can't say how useful it is in areas that you need to control discharge clippings or objects that can be thrown like working around traffic. Electric or manual having one that closes in increments is very important to me. Often I like to open it up just 1/4 to deflect the clipping, rocks, or other debris with out leaving a windrow.

P.Services
06-14-2009, 11:33 PM
and a few more. i have bent them back a hundred times but you can kinda see where the bracket that holds them on is bent a little. i have had to put the bar on the press at least a hundred times.

greenred
06-14-2009, 11:44 PM
No but I love the power chute. I can't say how useful it is in areas that you need to control discharge clippings or objects that can be thrown like working around traffic. Electric or manual having one that closes in increments is very important to me. Often I like to open it up just 1/4 to deflect the clipping, rocks, or other debris with out leaving a windrow.

Hey Tacoma is it hard to install that powered chute yourself? If you get a chance could you take some reference pics for me of yours.

Picasso thanks big time for the pics. About how many hours would you say you have on that roller?

P.Services
06-14-2009, 11:45 PM
400 hrs. easy hours with me trying to be soooooooo carefull but it still happens.

greenred
06-14-2009, 11:46 PM
400 hrs. easy hours with me trying to be soooooooo carefull but it still happens.

Good info thanks.

tacoma200
06-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey Tacoma is it hard to install that powered chute yourself? If you get a chance could you take some reference pics for me of yours.

Picasso thanks big time for the pics. About how many hours would you say you have on that roller?

4 u bolts and 8 lock nuts to hold the plates in place, that's it. Then you just slide the striper on and insert pins and your ready to stripe. I'll try to get some pics. It's raining again, I keep expecting a boat load of animals to drift by in an ark.

P.Services
06-14-2009, 11:59 PM
huh? thats how the striper goes on i thought the power chute is on the deck?

greenred
06-15-2009, 12:05 AM
4 u bolts and 8 lock nuts to hold the plates in place, that's it. Then you just slide the striper on and insert pins and your ready to stripe. I'll try to get some pics. It's raining again, I keep expecting a boat load of animals to drift by in an ark.

Tacoma I think there was a miss understanding I was talking about the Power Chute.

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Tacoma I think there was a miss understanding I was talking about the Power Chute.

OK, my bad. I was caught up in the roller discussion. I'll try to get you some pics. Mounting the Power chute motor and linkage can be the hard part. But it's not that bad. After assembly you just line up the power chute drill two holes and mount it. Route your wiring and deciding on where to put the foot pedal isn't that bad. I would suggest just mounting the foot pedal to the floor pan with pull ties until you get a place that feels comfortable. To be honest I doubt if my pictures would be any better than you will find on this page. They are not showing the black wire that runs to it in all the pictures though. These video's will give you a good feel of how they operate.

http://www.powerchutedesign.com/id71.html

http://www.powerchutedesign.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/powerchuteb.mpg

http://www.powerchutedesign.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/powerchutea.mpg

greenred
06-15-2009, 12:39 AM
OK, my bad. I was caught up in the roller discussion. I'll try to get you some pics. Mounting the Power chute motor and linkage can be the hard part. But it's not that bad. After assembly you just line up the power chute drill two holes and mount it. Route your wiring and deciding on where to put the foot pedal isn't that bad. I would suggest just mounting the foot pedal to the floor pan with pull ties until you get a place that feels comfortable. To be honest I doubt if my pictures would be any better than you will find on this page. They are not showing the black wire that runs to it in all the pictures though. These video's will give you a good feel of how they operate.

http://www.powerchutedesign.com/id71.html

http://www.powerchutedesign.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/powerchuteb.mpg

http://www.powerchutedesign.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/powerchutea.mpg

Thanks Tacoma. The biggest thing that intimidates me about the installation is the wiring since I have no experience in that area.

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Thanks Tacoma. The biggest thing that intimidates me about the installation is the wiring since I have no experience in that area.

I'll start a post showing my quick very unprofessional installation of the Power Chute, look for it for pictures.

lawnman7
06-15-2009, 02:02 AM
get out there and use it eyy!!

greenred
06-15-2009, 02:18 AM
get out there and use it eyy!!

Trust me Im dying to put it to a serious test. I cut my moms 2.5 acres. I cut all but the very back part because the slope was too much for my other Z. The deal was I would cut the majority of the property and my step dad would get out and take care of the part I couldnt get on the crapsman mower I got them. Well no fault of my step dad but that area on the slope has not been cut in over a month because both he and I have been spending our free time with my mother who is in the hospital with Leukemia.

Im having work done on my large trailer and I should get it tomorrow. If I do I will go and get to test it out on not only a slope but really high grass all at the same time. I plan to take pics of how well it handles the high grass.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-15-2009, 06:56 PM
i think you will be really impressed with that mower! cant wait to hear about the great fuel consumption!

tjlco
06-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Oh how I wish there was a scag dealer near me that didn't suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!