PDA

View Full Version : Walk Behind

dylanfreake
06-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I mow about 10 hours a week at work. My 10 year old Bunton is fading fast so I shall need a new mower before the end of summer.

I`m thinking about getting a Skags since there is a dealer 5 miles from work. The Bunton that I have now is just a belt driven model ---no hydo.

I`m thinking about getting the standard belt driven 52" Skags or should I consider a Hydro ????

mysteryman
06-12-2009, 08:34 PM
a hydro is a nice treat, but for 10-hours a week, a gear-drive is probably sufficient. I am looking at replacing a gear-drive unit with a hydro and really consider it a 'treat' doing so. But that is just my opinion, I'm sure there will be many rebuttals on here soon.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-12-2009, 09:08 PM
dylan - when mystery refers to a WB as 'gear drive' - it also means belt drive.

What do you mean you mow for 10 hours a week at work? Do you mow for someone else, for yourself, or what?

dylanfreake
06-12-2009, 09:56 PM
I work at a synagogue, taking care of the grounds.

I have used that belt-driven Bunton for 10 years and before that another Bunton for 14 years. Now the Bunton dealer is gone and like a guy told me , "Bunton was a good mower in it`s day."

I have some good turf and also some rough places to cut and was told that a Skag could hold up for the rough cutting and also give a good cut in the turf areas.

mowerdude777
06-13-2009, 08:23 PM
I personaly like exmark for wb's

eastportstar
06-14-2009, 02:08 PM
i use a scag belt drive and a bobcat belt drive. the scag is a BEAST, way heavier duty than the bobcat. i use the bobcat more because it's a 48, scag is 36. bobcat manuevers easier (probably lighter). i think i read somewhere the 36 scag weighs 550 lbs. i'd save a few bucks , get the belt drive scag if you have thick stuff to cut. that machine never bogs down.

DRBLawnBuster
06-14-2009, 03:00 PM
are you riding a sulky? is it one big field or do you have multiple places you take this mower? If you are considering a sulky get a hydro, a belt would pull you but no were near as good as a ahydro on the rough terrain

dylanfreake
06-14-2009, 05:09 PM
No sulky.

I am 63 years old so I need the exercise. I`m surprised that I have been paid the last 24 years for all the exercising I have done.

mowisme
06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
My 'vintage' SW scag is a very solid machine. I love the thickness (except when pulling in reverse). I weight 210 and it pulls me easy on sulky..But front end at times pops up if going up a bank or sudden incline. I've cut that back alot by pulling up on handles with straight arms when going up..but that gets old. considering adding weight in front but then more stress on mower components so most likely leave alone. My sulky is single wheel..maybe 2-wheel be better but either way- you can't go wrong getting a scag if considering belt drive. Geno

BlackDog3
06-14-2009, 05:15 PM
I personally dont like Scag. Since i am 6'1 i feel i am too tall to reach the slanted down controls. The best walkbehind i have used is the Ferris Hydro walk. All i can say smooth as glass!

Chris

genesis215
06-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Scag is excellent, and Exmark is too. I run an Exmark 52" Turf Tracer Hydro with a 26HP Kohler Command V-Twin, and it's great. I know a man that runs a 48" Scag Hydro, and he likes it so much it's his only mower.

DRBLawnBuster
06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
i have a 48" scag belt driven walkbehind and its a great mower, mine has the advantage deck on it, but if your buying anew one try to get it with the veloctiy deack

dylanfreake
06-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Why the velocity deck?

DRBLawnBuster
06-15-2009, 04:59 PM
i have heard really good things about it on how it discharges alot more grass and leaves a top of the line cut

Green Skapes
06-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Ferris is the way to go! I run a 48" Ferris Hydro and it is the best cutting mower I have used. I run mine with no stripe kit and it cuts and stripes just as good as mowers with stripe kits. Once you try a Ferris, you'll be hooked!

Check my website for pics. www.greenskapes.com